Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Legal to kill cats?

• 20-11-2020 2:04pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭

I have a situation where cats are scraping my car and using garden furniture, ornaments and the bannister of my decking as a scratching post.

They are also soiling my flower bed and spraying. It is a real nuisance. One also swiped at my auntie when she went to the wheelie bin, grazing her skin. This particular cat was immaculate.

I don't know (or care) whether these cats are feral or not.

If I'm not mistaken, cats are classified as vermin in Ireland and are no different to mice, rats or mink.

Am I allowed to take matters into my own hands and kill these cats (humanely of course)?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭Eleven Benevolent Elephants

I have a situation where cats are scraping my car and using garden furniture, ornaments and the bannister of my decking as a scratching post.

They are also soiling my flower bed and spraying. It is a real nuisance. One also swiped at my auntie when she went to the wheelie bin, grazing her skin. This particular cat was immaculate.

I don't know (or care) whether these cats are feral or not.

If I'm not mistaken, cats are classified as vermin in Ireland and are no different to mice, rats or mink.

Am I allowed to take matters into my own hands and kill these cats (humanely of course)?

I forgot to add, they stalk my bird feeder which discourages birds from coming in. My garden is often a battle ground between two toms which is presumably to reason for the spraying.

Not legal.
    Pest control companies cannot cull feral cats because of the feral protests.
    There are products to discourage them from entering your garden, and a shotgun isn’t one of them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭Eleven Benevolent Elephants

Not legal.
    Pest control companies cannot cull feral cats because of the feral protests.
    There are products to discourage them from entering your garden, and a shotgun isn’t one of them.

Thanks Mickey.

I've tried lots already.
    Water bottles, citrus peel,
    Ultra sound

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,347 ✭✭✭✭endacl

You could always trap, and have the owners explain what they’re going to do about controlling their cats when the come to collect them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,402 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Thanks Mickey.

I've tried lots already.
    Water bottles, citrus peel,
    Ultra sound

What did you do with the water bottles?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

This is the hunting forum and as there is no hunting of Cats (feral or otherwise) this thread is not for this forum.

Closed.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement