Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone for teen advice

Options
  • 20-11-2020 3:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭

We've always had Android and never spent more than €200 on a smart phone and have no experience with Apple. We've a new teen who wants an iPhone.

I know someone selling an iPhone 6s 64GB gold, perfect condition, always used with case and screen protector for €150.

Looking at the history for the device this was released in 2015 and is probably running an older IOS.

Would that be an ok buy? Any advice appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,037 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

boardtc wrote: »
    We've always had Android and never spent more than €200 on a smart phone and have no experience with Apple. We've a teen who wants an iPhone.

I know someone selling an iPhone 6s 64GB gold, perfect condition, always used with case and screen protector for €150.

Looking at the history for the device this was released in 2015 and is probably running an older IOS.

Depends on the age of the teen to be honest, a 6s would be old now and is the next phone to lose support via ios updates. My teenage son is 17 and he has the XR and is looking for the 12 now for Christmas, He will have to move to a iphone 6 for a week or so before Christmas while I try and sell his XR and the thought of that is killing him already :D

Find out the battery health on the 6s and if it's below 80% then that's going to need to be changed as it will be pretty awful especially is Snapchat and Instagram are going to be their primary use as it is with most tenagers these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Stormington

boardtc wrote: »

No.
    As Aquos76 pointed out battery health is a thing to be wary of.
    150 will get you an iphone 7 unlocked on ebay.co.uk. That is the lowest I would advise going. 64gb is lowest storage I recommend.

200 could land you a 7 plus or an 8, depending upon storage and condition.

A similar item on adverts will be up to 50% more expensive and may not come with a warranty, but you might be able to bargain the price down. If ordering from the UK, you may want to do it asap due to postal delays.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,427 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I've a 6s as a work phone, it runs iOS 14. I had the 5s before and the battery went on it after about 2 years. Battery takes a hammering if I'm at an event and tweeting using data. Obviously less of that now as there are no in person events these days.

No refurbished iPhones on Apple's Irish site. Some on UK site, but well above what I'd imagine you want to spend.

https://www.apple.com/uk/shop/refurbished/iphone

Quick search says iPhone 7 is about €360 in Argos, they may not have stock, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭rizzee

https://www.adverts.ie/22202054

That will do if you can stretch the budget a little . I've bought 10+phones from him - all great experiences. Genuine seller.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,037 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

rizzee wrote: »
    https://www.adverts.ie/22202054

That will do if you can stretch the budget a little . I've bought 10+phones from him - all great experiences. Genuine seller.

Christ, I followed this user about half hour ago and my phone hasn’t stopped pining with adverts and email notifications since :)

A8-C8-A4-C1-2-CE7-4-AF4-907-E-65-E3-D518-C328.jpg

And another two more in the time it took to compose this reply ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭rizzee

Aquos76 wrote: »
    Christ, I followed this user about half hour ago and my phone hasn’t stopped pining with adverts and email notifications since :)

A8-C8-A4-C1-2-CE7-4-AF4-907-E-65-E3-D518-C328.jpg

And another two more in the time it took to compose this reply ;)

Haha, strictly have him unfollowed for that reason, I just pop into his ads every couple of weeks if there's something I'm after - looks like a full time job :)

Advertisement