Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newbie, gloves and shoes advice

Options
  • 20-11-2020 6:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33,636 ✭✭✭✭

Casual cyclist, got back at it during the lockdown and would like to continue over the winter. Usually 1hr max.

Wondering if anyone could recommend good winter gloves, nothing super expensive.

Also, I have pedals with straps. And no interest in locking cleats, so what footwear would suit a casual cyclist?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭davegilly

NIMAN wrote: »
    Casual cyclist, got back at it during the lockdown and would like to continue over the winter. Usually 1hr max.

Wondering if anyone could recommend good winter gloves, nothing super expensive.

Also, I have pedals with straps. And no interest in locking cleats, so what footwear would suit a casual cyclist?

I’m the same. Bought these gloves - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B07VG5ZT7K?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title - nice and comfortable and warm. Haven’t been out in freezing cold weather yet but no complaints so far.

As for shoes, I’m also using straps. I use a pair of old hiking shoes. Comfy, waterproof and warm. I think waterproof is the most important aspect, especially in winter.

Bought a waterproof/wind proof jacket in Decathlon as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,251 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

This is a great pair of gloves for cold weather. Possibly not for the wettest of days though

https://galibier.cc/product/barrier-black/

For footwear, agree with the hiking boots suggestion

Gaiters are a good option to cover your shoes even if they are waterproof you still end up with crap off the road on them, use them on my commute on wet days. Easy to put on and take off and roll up small should you need to carry them in a bag or even a pocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭this.lad

I find the bicycleline stuff good. They doubt post directly to Ireland though as cyclesuperstore are a stockist.

Even with address oal I find there is good value to be had, the quality and fit is good, I have a good load of their stuff and really like it.

Advertisement