Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part VII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

The lack of compassion and respect for some people in our society who have been lonely for months by some of the users on this thread is simply heartless. This could be your family member or my family member. The level of disregard for these people is shameful.

Covid has done so much damage to our society. Compassion is gone.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 547 ✭✭✭BeefeaterHat

RobitTV wrote: »
    The lack of compassion and respect for some people in our society who have been lonely for months by some of the users on this thread is simply heartless. This could be your family member or my family member. The level of disregard for these people is shameful.

Yeah but would you rather be compassionate and understanding or would you rather role play as the snarky internet edgelord?

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Rrrrrr2

Circa 2009/10 was a depressing time in Ireland but most of the time you’d barely know it on a Saturday night in any decent town or city- lots of people out and about. Least you could live, you could go and see who you wanted anytime- which didn’t cost much - this is far worse in a lot of ways I think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,153 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

No it isnt . This thread and boards is not representative of the community
    There are posters on here who revel in attention if if its negative attention. And like toddlers who do the same they are best ignored

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,535 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

xhomelezz wrote: »
    Thought this thread might be finally quiet tonight aaaand nope. Even pubs open won't shut it.

Are suggesting the lady doth protest too much?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,251 ✭✭✭Juwwi

Thought this thread might be finally quiet tonight aaaand nope. Even pubs open won't shut it.

The last time around the pubs opened people on this thread who were worried about the economy and businesses going bust decided they didn't wan't to go to pubs or restaurants because they were asked to use hand sanitizer on the way in :confused:

There will always be people moaning about something .

Juwwi wrote: »
    The last time around the pubs opened people on this thread who were worried about the economy and businesses going bust decided they didn't wan't to go to pubs or restaurants because they were asked to use hand sanitizer on the way in :confused:

There will always be people moaning about something .

Sorry now but there was plenty more to moan about “than just hand sanitizer”.
    Can you point to all the posts where being asked to use hand sanitizer stopped people going in?

Well you completely miss the point of this thread then- it’s not about I or others personally wanting to be out in pubs- it is about the freedom to do so and the freedom for others to do so. As and when THEY choose

Rrrrrr2 wrote: »
    Can you point to all the posts where being asked to use hand sanitizer stopped people going in?

He'll be searching a long time for "evidence", the bottom of the barrel has already been scraped. And it ain't a Guinness barrel. Humourless crew cannot contain their horror that others are now able to unwind and live a little. I'll get out the rosary beads for a successful personality transplant.

He'll be searching a long for "evidence", the bottom of the barrel has already been scraped. And it ain't a Guinness barrel. Humourless crew cannot contain their horror that others are now able to unwind and live a little. I'll get out the rosary beads for a successful personality transplant.

Yes the latest sarchie retort being why aren’t you all out enjoying the pub tonight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Birdie Num Num

The amount of hypocrisy and talking out of multiple sides of ones arse on this thread is phenomenal. Many of your praisers here have been way less than compassionate throughout this thread regarding older people in both thanking and contributing to posts that border on ageist fascism.

We don’t care about pubs too much. It’s more the destruction of the economy, quieter than ever hospitals and removal of freedoms that is the issue.

Yet people like you are determined to pretend it’s all just about pints.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Micky 32

So will the thread finally go quiet from the lockdown crew once the vaccine begins to work and lockdowns cease? Or will they be still on here proposing lockdown and restrictions for god knows what else?

Rrrrrr2 wrote: »

It was first time around the pubs opened back up before you joined boards your getting your knickers in a twist over nothing :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

The amount of hypocrisy and talking out of multiple sides of ones arse on this thread is phenomenal. Many of your praisers here have been way less than compassionate throughout this thread regarding older people in both thanking and contributing to posts that border on ageist fascism.

"Ageist fascism" goodness me, please give yourself a pat on the back for that one :pac: is this Brid Smith or Paul Murphy behind the computer screen? how original. I think many of the posters on here are more than capable of speaking for themselves, I personally do not believe there has been any sort of "ageist fascism" on here. Unless evidence is presented and the evidence isn't misquoted or taken out of context like it usually is.

It's all well and good to keep making these allegations. The word "fascism" being mentioned is certainly raising the stakes.

I would almost call this a 'conspiracy' :p I will have to weigh up my options.

Micky 32 wrote: »
    So will the thread finally go quiet from the lockdown crew once the vaccine begins to work and lockdowns cease? Or will they be still on here proposing lockdown and restrictions for god knows what else?

Why the hell would anyone want lockdowns if the vaccine begins to work ?

Lockdowns from what exactly ?

Hard to know yet but i’m finding it hard to imagine a certain cohort on here to disappear into the sunset along with the virus, especially once the drama of a lockdown is gone. Time will tell.

Hard to know yet but i’m finding it hard to imagine a certain cohort on here to disappear into the sunset along with the virus, especially once the drama of a lockdown is gone. Time will tell.

But if the vaccine works , what drama will there be ?

I don't remember any drama before covid came along with people looking for lockdowns so I don't understand what your trying to say ?

I don't remember any drama before covid came along with people looking for lockdowns so I don't understand what your trying to say ?

You know damn well what i’m on about, give over ffs, anyway don’t you get sarcasm? If you have a dictionary look it up.

You know damn well what i’m on about, give over ffs, anyway don’t you get sarcasm? If you have a dictionary look it up.

Calm down Micky , your the one worried about if a certain cohort will disappear into the sunset if a vaccine works .

• Advertisement

Calm down Micky , your the one worried about if a certain cohort will disappear into the sunset if a vaccine works .

I’m totally calm actually and i’m not worried to be honest, i was mostly being sarcastic but i do have to wonder why so defensive? Are you part of that cohort i mentioned or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

What is a 'few more years' worth to a elderly woman who is 81 years of age? when you get that age you live for the moment and you are thankful you are still able to do things. The average life expectancy in Ireland is 82.35 years as of 2020.

This women has probably worked and cared for her family for decades. She hasn't retired to just sit at home all day and live out the last remaining years of her life stuck inside.

When you are 81, every week you are healthy and every week you can still walk and be mobile and meet up with friends and go for tea is a blessing. Meet up with your family, go to choir, go shopping, senior citizens club.

Completely agree that life can start to feel fleeting over 80 as health becomes unpredictable then and the odds of death tip in the wrong direction, but don't see why there has to be exaggeration as if everyone over 80 is a walking skeleton, clinging on for dear life. Life expectancy of an Irish woman who makes it to 65 is 21 years, so most Irish women who don't die tragically in car crash, cancer etc when young will likely live until 86, Irish man 83. So, life expectancy doesn't give the full picture. If you've no health problems, you'll know you'll likely live even longer than that, so it differs by person, some will be thankful just to make it to 80, many others would hope for a lot longer life.

It's of no reassurance to those in their 80's who are ill which is many and know they don't have long left, and that is depressing to eek out the last while under these circumstances. But lots of Irish people in their early 80's are happy, healthy able bodied, and are comfortably confident knowing they have a decent few years left. Every individual's circumstances are different. Sounds like I'm nit picking or taking away from your very valid point, but I just don't agree with the portrayal of making it to 80 as some massive feat or accomplishment , it's completely normal and unremarkable to get to mid or late eighties in decent health in Ireland or any West European country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 feedmindc19

Why would anyone want a lockdown in the first place . :confused: Humans are addicted to oppressions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

We don’t care about pubs too much. It’s more the destruction of the economy, quieter than ever hospitals and removal of freedoms that is the issue.

Yet people like you are determined to pretend it’s all just about pints.....

Last time I checked my freedoms, they were all intact. When it comes to destroying economy, well imo if people, workplaces etc. did follow the guidelines, there would be no need for some harsh restrictions. That's my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭risteard7

I fear at the end of all this Hoolahan will come out of it as some kind of hero and he would love that.
    A lot of people have short memories and will be just glad that normality has resumed.

"Ah god bless Tony He did a good job, he was 100% right all along" as for Mc Conkey I honestly believe he needs a full check up, he's absolutely stone mad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,465 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

The problem is that the moral compass is set to 0 Covid deaths and 0 Covid cases.

The vaccine won’t achieve that

In fact Tony has already said a vaccine will “compliment” current measures.

In fact Tony has already said a vaccine will “compliment” current measures.

Do you expect everyone will be vaccinated on day 1?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭dalyboy

Boggles wrote: »
    Do you expect everyone will be vaccinated on day 1?

Would have been nice if Tony had given some semblance of a timeline when he made these comments . Instead everyone’s flouting away in a confused limbo.

dalyboy wrote: »
    Would have been nice if Tony had given some semblance of a timeline when he made these comments . Instead everyone’s flouting away in a confused limbo.

There is a separate task force for the vaccine.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 547 ✭✭✭BeefeaterHat

Last time I checked my freedoms, they were all intact. When it comes to destroying economy, well imo if people, workplaces etc. did follow the guidelines, there would be no need for some harsh restrictions. That's my opinion.

You do realize covid would spread regardless of people following the 'rules' or not? It's a highly contagious respiratory illness it was always going to spread regardless of people being good boys and girls and following the rules.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement