Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part VII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

You do realize covid would spread regardless of people following the 'rules' or not? It's a highly contagious respiratory illness it was always going to spread regardless of people being good boys and girls and following the rules.

Of course I do. I didn't say there would be no infections. But I believe numbers would be on lower side constantly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 547 ✭✭✭BeefeaterHat

xhomelezz wrote: »
    Of course I do. I didn't say there would be no infections. But I believe numbers would be on lower side constantly.

Considering the amount of outbreaks in care homes and hospitals I think the blame lies more with the HSE and authorities rather than households and businesses.

Considering the amount of outbreaks in care homes and hospitals I think the blame lies more with the HSE and authorities rather than households and businesses.

Or on people not showing up for tests. Happily going to work or wherever and happily spreading. I think at this stage everyone should know how to avoid covid infections, even without being told by authorities. But because that's not the case, there comes restrictions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,855 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Nursing homes are a private business

xhomelezz wrote: »
    Or on people not showing up for tests. Happily going to work or wherever and happily spreading. I think at this stage everyone should know how to avoid covid infections, even without being told by authorities. But because that's not the case, there comes restrictions.

Fair enough but at the same time it's impossible to ignore the constant outbreaks in hospitals and care homes in recent months. I think the high case numbers are greatly caused by that.

The HSE and government have done an awful job at protecting our most vulnerable and our high death toll compared to other European countries with similar populations and case numbers shows this.

• Advertisement

Nursing homes are a private business

So the HSE have absolutely no responsibility or authority over the care homes in Ireland? Nor does any other government body? They're a law unto themselves completely are they?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,535 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

So the HSE have absolutely no responsibility or authority over the care homes in Ireland?

No absolute authority over private care homes, that has to be awarded to them by a court.

This happens if there is gross negligence in regards the regulations.

Boggles wrote: »
    No absolute authority over private care homes, that has to be awarded to them by a court.

This happens if there is gross negligence in regards the regulations.

And what about the act of gross negligence that was transferring patients from hospital to care homes without screening them first? There should be a medical malpractice/manslaughter charge for that cock up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,535 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

And what about the act of gross negligence that was transferring patients from hospital to care homes without screening them first? There should be a medical malpractice/manslaughter charge for that cock up.

Inquiry has been recommended.
    Firstly, the Report recommends that a public inquiry be set up to investigate all circumstances surrounding each individual death due to Covid-19 in nursing homes.

Secondly, the Report recommends that a review be undertaken into the impact of the privatisation of Ireland’s nursing homes.

The 2nd part is pertinent to the topic at hand.

Fair enough but at the same time it's impossible to ignore the constant outbreaks in hospitals and care homes in recent months. I think the high case numbers are greatly caused by that.

The HSE and government have done an awful job at protecting our most vulnerable and our high death toll compared to other European countries with similar populations and case numbers shows this.

Agree with that.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭Gervais08

So the HSE have absolutely no responsibility or authority over the care homes in Ireland? Nor does any other government body? They're a law unto themselves completely are they?

HSE no but HIQA do.

Boggles wrote: »
    Inquiry has been recommended.

The 2nd part is pertinent to the topic at hand.

Like any inquiry in this country it'll go absolutely nowhere. A few people will get a bollicking but that'll be as far as it goes. Senior Care should never have been privatized like it has been.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,465 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Chelsea vs Leeds will have 2000 fans in attendance later today.

Meanwhile the panels involved in the once in 100 years semi final pairing on today in one of Europe’s largest stadiums can’t attend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

Meanwhile the panels involved in the once in 100 years semi final pairing on today in one of Europe’s largest stadiums can’t attend.

Did I not read yesterday that the full panels will be allowed attend??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

The problem is that the moral compass is set to 0 Covid deaths and 0 Covid cases.

The vaccine won’t achieve that

In fact Tony has already said a vaccine will “compliment” current measures.

Anybody expecting 0 covid is nuts. The Flu shot has been out longer than most of us have been alive and people still catch it every year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

dalyboy wrote: »
    Would have been nice if Tony had given some semblance of a timeline when he made these comments . Instead everyone’s flouting away in a confused limbo.
    How many vaccines will be approved and when? How good will they be?

Tony doesn't know. He doesn't have solid data. How can he give you a timeline for whatever number of vaccinations.

In my non scientific opinion 1 million of the more vulnerable people get vaccinated and restrictions will be very low (level 1 with occasional level 2 lockdowns).

3 million vaccinated and we can fully go back to normal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Mr. Karate wrote: »
    Anybody expecting 0 covid is nuts. The Flu shot has been out longer than most of us have been alive and people still catch it every year.

Still very effective though, as i said earlier i deal with the public everyday and i haven’t had the flu for at least 10 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,644 ✭✭✭Penfailed

In fact Tony has already said a vaccine will “compliment” current measures.

This point has been responded to loads of times already. You're intelligent enough to know the reason for him saying this.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Pixies, Ride, Therapy?, Public Service Broadcasting, IDLES(x2), And So I Watch You From Afar

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Paddygreen

More and more experts saying that masks and social decay measures will have to stay FOREVER guys... even when the altruistic drug corporations have dished out the salvation of their wonderful vaccines. The goalposts in the sheep pen are getting moved around guys so ye better get used to it....

The New York Times asked 700 epidemiologists to describe their COVID-19 habits, how their thinking has changed since the pandemic began, and when they think it will be safe for normal life to resume. Dismayingly, several answered that last question with a resounding never.

]I expect that wearing a mask will become part of my daily life, moving forward, even after a vaccine is deployed," Amy Hobbs, a research associate at the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, told The Times.

Marilyn Tseng, an assistant professor at California Polytechnic State University, said life would never revert to the way it was, though the preventative measures currently practiced—masks and social distancing—will feel "normal" in time. Similarly, Vasily Vlassov, a professor at HSE University in Moscow, said life was perfectly normal now because this is the new normal.

https://reason.com/2020/12/04/epidemiologists-masks-social-distancing-vaccine-forever-new-york-times/

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭AUDI20

Full panels are allowed for the semi finals, that was changed during the week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

[PHP][/PHP]
    Micky 32 wrote: »
    Still very effective though, as i said earlier i deal with the public everyday and i haven’t had the flu for at least 10 years.

I'm not doubting its effectiveness. I'm just saying its nuts to think we'll have Covid completely eradicated once this vaccine is available.

Mr. Karate wrote: »
    [PHP][/PHP]

I'm not doubting its effectiveness. I'm just saying its nuts to think we'll have Covid completely eradicated once this vaccine is available.

I don’t expect it to be. My point is it will be enough to get my life back as close as normal and back travelling again with confidence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,325 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

3 million vaccinated and we can fully go back to normal.

We've just over 1 million vaccinated with the flu vaccine so far this year with loads of doses set to expire soon.
    I really think it's going to be a massive struggle to hit 3 million.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,465 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

We've just over 1 million vaccinated with the flu vaccine so far this year with loads of doses set to expire soon.

Are the healthcare workers willing to take this vaccine I wonder?

They are very reluctant to take the flu vaccine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,325 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Are the healthcare workers willing to take this vaccine I wonder?

They are very reluctant to take the flu vaccine

I think they will, there's a lot of nurses jumping ship apparently, early retirement and just leaving, it's been very though on some depending on where they were working.

Paddygreen wrote: »
    More and more experts saying that masks and social decay measures will have to stay FOREVER guys... even when the altruistic drug corporations have dished out the salvation of their wonderful vaccines. The goalposts in the sheep pen are getting moved around guys so ye better get used to it....

https://reason.com/2020/12/04/epidemiologists-masks-social-distancing-vaccine-forever-new-york-times/

OMFG seriouslly :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

We’ve a fair few doses around here that refuse to expire.

We’ve a fair few doses around here that refuse to expire.

Well those doses won't probably work next year, just saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Paddygreen

Guys there has to be some sort of visible mark of salvation or everyone could go around saying they are saved...

_111925958_tracker.png

• Advertisement

The flu never resulted in restrictions or “lockdowns” so i’m guessing uptake will be a little higher than the flu vaccine. I never bothered with the flu vaccine but i’ll certainly take the Covid vaccine.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement