Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part VII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,133 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

People are just getting on with it. I'd say Tony Holohan will be on his own at that stage (with the exception of George Lee and Ryan Tubridy maybe).
    There is a huge change in people's attitude now. Even hardened family members who loved the first lockdown have started appearing throughout this one.

this lock down wasn't a lock down 1 style lock down anyway, so people were not prevented from venturing out that bit more.
    I don't listen to News at all anymore, I turn off Prime Time, Claire Byrne Show, Late Late Show and as soon as any expert comes on (Luke O Neill, Sam McC, Staines, Henry )I put on Jazz from Spotify. I feel far more normal without the propaganda from our media. And that is what it has become.

no, it's not what it has become, you have decided it is what it has become because you don't like it because it's factual and doesn't suit your agenda and beliefs.
    beliefs which are based on the current situation which exists thanks to the fact it is being controlled meaning you are not seeing what you think you should be seeing from covid, which you would definitely see if it wasn't being controlled.
    that 's ultimately tough i'm afraid, facts are not propaganda.
    We could not even celebrate the great news of a vaccine without dire warnings from Tony Holohan and George Lee. Every other country celebrated and was in the planning stage of rolling it out. Not Ireland. The vaccine here is only "part" of our strategy??

this is what happens when you avoid media and are unaware of what is actually going on.
    the UK is the only country which has began rolling it out, the rest of us will start doing so quite soon.
    also, there were plenty of voices including the experts of a number of countries including the uk as well, who just like here, stated that the vaccine is good news but people should not get their hopes up fully yet until we see how it operates in the field.
    It this wasn't called Covid, it this was just a flu we wouldn't hear a word about it. Covid is killing less than the flu, most people are not sick with it, thousands of others have no symptoms. We hear of "new cases" every day, so what?? Most of those "new cases" are probably at home on the sofa watching the Netflix..................the only thing keeping this going is the media and NPHET briefings.

covid is not flue, end of.
    it's nothing near as bad as it could be, and the cases are no where the numbers they could be because it is being controlled, it's as simple as that, you know this, i know this.
    what is keeping this going is reality, reality that controlling and minimising the spread is the only workable option until we see how the vaccine works in the field.
    ranting at tony, blaming tony for keeping something going that is not being kept going by him but by the existence of covid which is not flue and which flue is nothing compared to, will not change the facts.
    Michel Barnier had Covid, so did Prince Charles, Boris Johnston, Donald Trump, Tom Cruise, Lee Mack, Placido Domingo (79), Prince Albert, Kenny Daglish...............most considerably older than 60....ALL recovered.

wonderful they all recovered isn't it, but it just means they recovered.
    you do know that because someone is old and gets it it doesn't mean they will automatically die from it, right?
    older people are just more at risk from it and at more risk of getting it.
    Most people are no longer afraid of Covid.

most people were never afraid of covid, rather we are aware of what it can do if it is not being controlled and the spread of it was not being minimised, and how the knock on effects of that can potentially effect us.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 547 ✭✭✭BeefeaterHat

risteard7 wrote: »
    Staff are bringing it in to work, so a student nurse goes to a house party with friends on a Saturday night & has to go to work the following week after getting the virus.

How the hell, can you blame the HSE for that?

So it's the nurses fault? And of course itd have to be a young nurse going to a party to boot. Did this actually happen or is it a fiction created to appease your ageist notions?

The numbers and mis-management isn't in the wider community or among many of these businesses. It's within our hospital's, care homes and nursing homes. This persisted through Level 5.
    Back in March, and now again - the HSE have failed to get their house in order and failed to protect those most vulnerable to Covid. NPHET's and the HSE's mantra seems to be - low 'community transmission' prevents issues in these settings. So every time they fail to control outbreaks, this is the wider public's fault and not theirs. It's utter madness. I know many nurses and others working in these settings, they're not getting tested. No regular testing system in place at all - this is where our attention should be and not at restaurants and other businesses that should never have been closed in the first place.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/1206/1182685-covid-ireland-latest/

Didn't you get the memo? It's all the student nurses fault that coivds in the hospitals. Going off to parties drinking and fornicating. God forbid we criticize the HSE or hold them accountable for anything just kick the young people as usual.

Mr. Karate wrote: »
    Bull****. Lockdown 3 is going to go on past St. Patrick's and Easter no matter what.

We have no say in the matter, but they love the pointing the finger at us.

But if we didn't relax restrictions for December we could avoid a 3rd lockdown by just continuing the 2nd indefinitely and not having Christmas. That's the argument I'm hearing pretty much. Or we let the shops and restaurants open but sit at home and leave them deserted.

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Rrrrrr2

Gervais08 wrote: »
    It might. There’ll be zero justification for it and people like you will rejoice.

The fact they’re already droning on about it and threatening tells me all I need to know- no such things as “isn’t great people are a little freer to live their lives”- not a bit of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Tork wrote: »
    Yes but we will have level 5 inflicted on us again in January. We're only in level 3 now because of Christmas. There is no natural break come January. The next level 5 could last for quite a while.
    NPHET said 3 weeks in their last letter. It's pointless going much further than that as people will effectively ignore it.

is_that_so wrote: »
    NPHET said 3 weeks in their last letter. It's pointless going much further than that as people will effectively ignore it.

People are pretty much done with Nphet. Only people listening are the usual hypochondriacs (granted there’s lots of those about) and RTE which is the propaganda wing of Nphet in any case

is_that_so wrote: »

The problem with nphets time frames is that you can tack on another few weeks to what they said initially. This lockdown was only supposed to be 6 weeks before the goalposts moved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

The problem with nphets time frames is that you can tack on another few weeks to what they said initially. This lockdown was only supposed to be 6 weeks before the goalposts moved.
    And it was 6 weeks. They'll have even less credibility if they try to push it out. The government are nowhere near as amenable to their advice now and if they say 3 weeks it will be no longer than that. What makes January different is the potential arrival of the vaccine and increasing numbers of those at risk inoculated.

the lock down was 6 weeks.
    no goal posts moved.
    it was always to be level 3 once lock down finished, this was never a secret.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

https://youtu.be/XNJpMrN-lig

More ludicrous solutions to problems that don’t exist. I swear some people are ****ing reveling in this bull****.

More ludicrous solutions to problems that don’t exist. I swear some people are ****ing reveling in this bull****.

Dont know whats worse, covid or the quaternary ammonia compounds in all that cheap bleach youll now be inhaling whilst dining in an enclosed area..are they feckin serious.. that's fictional stuff if they think its a good option..not a hope...we'll all have 50% lung function if we keep this up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,129 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

At least they are allowed to talk.

https://twitter.com/Telegraph/status/1335491984228757505

Im not so desperate to go out as to eat in a makeshift bleach cabin for two, scoffing cold grub whilst communicating telepathically and paying premium prices against the clock to boot..i had my first breakfast this morning in a cafe and it was lovely..none of that proposed tents for gents shyte...twas bliss just looking at people smiling and being happy over food and coffees.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭Gervais08

rusty cole wrote: »
    Im not so desperate to go out as to eat in a makeshift bleach cabin for two, scoffing cold grub whilst communicating telepathically and paying premium prices against the clock to boot..i had my first breakfast this morning in a cafe and it was lovely..none of that proposed tents for gents shyte...twas bliss just looking at people smiling and being happy over food and coffees.

Christ knows where you live but my local is just a bog standard (admittedly charming) rural pub!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,129 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

rusty cole wrote: »

If the 'experts' have their way smiling will be banned too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,664 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

most people were never afraid of covid, rather we are aware of what it can do if it is not being controlled and the spread of it was not being minimised, and how the knock on effects of that can potentially effect us.

That’s some ****ing impressive mental gymnastics right there. So all of the media’s scare mongering about young people dropping like flies was not about what COVID can do? The government saying you should treat everyone like they have it? And how they said “COVID doesn’t descriminate”, so none of that was about COVID? Some load of nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭Tork

Oh for jaysus sake. Talk like this is doing nobody any good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,862 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

High numbers too try and scare us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

"experts" with their "qualifications" and their "knowledge" have had nothing useful to "contribute" during this whole pandemic and I don't see that "changing".
    extra air quotes just to emphasise my disdain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

In terms of icu numbers etc what effect did the last set of restrictions have?

Nphet would have continued lockdown way beyond Xmas, probably into February and even beyond- they are a lunatic fringe of pampered academics and fundamentalist “health” autocrats. Absolutely no interest in anything if the utterly predictable rubbish they’ll come out with- a very expensive talk shop of finger waggers obsessed with cultivating media spotlights and careers for themselves

the lock down was 6 weeks.
    no goal posts moved.
    it was always to be level 3 once lock down finished, this was never a secret.

They didn't want the lockdown to end. They wanted pubs and restaurants doing takeaway only but the government went against them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Rrrrrr2 wrote: »
    Nphet would have continued lockdown way beyond Xmas, probably into February and even beyond- they are a lunatic fringe of pampered academics and fundamentalist “health” autocrats. Absolutely no interest in anything if the utterly predictable rubbish they’ll come out with- a very expensive talk shop of finger waggers obsessed with cultivating media spotlights and careers for themselves

No proposals from NPHET to cut their pay by 50% while restrictions in place.

No problem with putting others out of work and destroying other people's businesses.

All from the safety of their PS pay and entitlements.

Heroes each and every one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Paddygreen

I find smiling offensive and disrespectful considering that the Angel of Death is galloping through our land, don’t even get me started on laughter, makes me sick. Heartless bastards out there enjoying themselves, how dare they.

Zebra3 wrote: »

No problem with putting others out of work and destroying other people's businesses.

They disgust me beyond belief- never witnessed such a ragbag of arrogant dangerous loons gathered together in one grouping. Fcuk 50%, put them on the €350 “in solidarity “ with all the people they blackmail the useless spineless government into shutting down at the drop of a hat for nothing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Rrrrrr2 wrote: »
    They disgust me beyond belief- never witnessed such a ragbag of arrogant dangerous loons gathered together in one grouping. Fcuk 50%, put them on the €350 “in solidarity “ with all the people they blackmail the useless spineless government into shutting down at the drop of a hat for nothing

It actually says a lot about the state of the country that in a thread about restrictions imposed on citizens within this state, there's barely a mention of the government any more.

It actually says a lot about the state of the country that in a thread about restrictions imposed on citizens within this state, there's barely a mention of the government any more.

I 100% lay the blame on their door tbh- they created (an utter monster) in Nphet- conveniently hide behind them at every opportunity and have allowed Holohan a free hand to do and say as they please- Holohan and co SHOULD NOT be on twitter or RTE undermining elected government- I realise some lap this up, to me it’s nothing but an insult to democracy and our democratic structures and just plain wrong. Pandemic or no
    That’s the problem with the senior medical and academic class in Ireland- no one ever put them
    in their place

you must have missed the word should.
    they are being advised that they should do such, they aren't being told they must do it.
    so they can talk away if they want, not a problem.
    That’s some ****ing impressive mental gymnastics right there. So all of the media’s scare mongering about young people dropping like flies was not about what COVID can do? The government saying you should treat everyone like they have it? And how they said “COVID doesn’t descriminate”, so none of that was about COVID? Some load of nonsense.

there was no media scare mongering, at least not by the main stream media anyway who wouldn't get away with it.
    the government stating that people should treat others as if they have it was more or less saying the same as social distance from each other, sound advice essentially to bring home reality.
    it is fact that covid doesn't discriminate even if people will be at more risk or less risk from getting or being effected by it depending on certain factors.
    also young people dropping like flies was not a widely held opinion, the advice was that while younger people may be at less risk from this, there are no guarantees and they should be careful.
    They didn't want the lockdown to end. They wanted pubs and restaurants doing takeaway only but the government went against them.

yes, but the lock down was still 6 weeks regardless.
    even with pubs doing take away, the lock down would still remain over.

• Advertisement

given they are working and working ridiculously hard during a very difficult time, absolutely nphet wouldn't be proposing, or even taking a 50 % pay cut and nor should they, it's not someone's job to take a pay cut for others.
    restrictions or not they are still at work.
    it was covid that put people out of work and destroyed businesses, plenty more would likely have gone the same way but for restrictions and supports.

much easier to rant about tony then the usual blame da gubament.
    because people know the government are the ones making the decisions based on the advice and most countries are doing similar to us.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement