Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part VII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭vid36

There are more than 70,000 excess deaths in the UK so far this year. The stats are clear. You can compare the figures for decades. This idea that people who succumb to Covid 19 were dying anyway is not supported by any data and is Trumpian rhetoric at its ignorant best. The vaccine is here, rollout will take a few months, maybe even half a year, but I think the majority support current restrictions as opposed to substantially more causalities in our rush to open up wet pubs and nightclubs.

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-54976362

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,717 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Are you suggesting nobody should expect to die between the ages of 82-94?
    Sorry, it was actually 8.62 years at age 80 in 2015 and rising, probably 9 years now
    https://knoema.com/atlas/topics/Demographics/Age/Life-expectancy-at-age-80-years (Ireland is 52nd in the list)

Are you suggesting nobody should expect to die between they're born and they reach 82 years old?

bb1234567 wrote: »
    True, something a lot of people forget here, if you didn't die in a car crash or whatever when you were young and made it to 60 then 82 is a pretty young age to die at in Ireland.

Life expectancy at age 80 in Ireland is 8.6 years as of 2015, even higher now by 2020.
    https://knoema.com/atlas/Ireland/topics/Demographics/Age/Life-expectancy-at-age-80-years

Ha, I was busy looking it up and missed your post...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

vid36 wrote: »
    There are more than 70,000 excess deaths in the UK so far this year. The stats are clear. You can compare the figures for decades. This idea that people who succumb to Covid 19 were dying anyway is not supported by any data and is Trumpian rhetoric at its ignorant best. The vaccine is here, rollout will take a few months, maybe even half a year, but I think the majority support current restrictions as opposed to substantially more causalities in our rush to open up wet pubs and nightclubs.

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-54976362
    Sorry, it was actually 8.62 years at age 80 in 2015 and rising, probably 9 years now
    https://knoema.com/atlas/topics/Demographics/Age/Life-expectancy-at-age-80-years (Ireland is 52nd in the list)

Are you suggesting nobody should expect to die between they're born and they reach 82 years old?

How does any of this change the fact that 44%+ are deaths of OVER 85 years old with a positive pcr test?

In fact people are so old HSE dont even bother specifying "85 to 94" "94 to 101" etc.

No. He is suggesting that people die at around 82 years of age in this country.

Its called statistics.

Not the "damn lies and covid statistics" but actual statistics.

• Advertisement

Its called statistics.

Not the "damn lies and covid statistics" but actual statistics.

If you lived in Cork and I lived in Dublin, on average we would live somewhere in Kilkenny, neither of us would live anywhere around Kilkenny however

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,465 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

If you lived in Cork and I lived in Dublin, on average we would live somewhere in Kilkenny, neither of us would live anywhere around Kilkenny however

That’s an interesting analogy.

Utter nonsense but interesting non the less

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭VonLuck

Having stated something as fact then I most certainly do expect to see 'something' to back up what appears to be opinion and not fact.

I can quite simply state that the number of deaths caused by lockdowns are far greater than those without lockdowns, but it is not a fact unless I can support my statement.

You're asking the impossible. There's no way to prove an alternative outcome to something in the past, unless you have a time machine. However you can come to conclusions based on how deaths occurred which ultimately comes down to people interacting with those who are infected. Reducing interactions clearly would reduce infections, hence reducing deaths.

Again, using a car analogy, if someone died in a car crash and had no seat belt on you would certainly say they would have had a much greater chance of survival if they had it on. You can't definitively prove it, but you would be an idiot to say otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

Dr Holohan is talking about the worry index again. People are ‘less concerned’ apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

The City Centre yesterday was ‘busier than he expected’ when he was in. Such a calamity. People out & about.

• Advertisement

That’s an interesting analogy.

Utter nonsense but interesting non the less

But its funny Fintan. That post is akin to Noxx "I drink Guinness like a demon"

classic.

on a more serious note, I saw people queue to Newbridge Penneys at 9.50 AM on Sunday morning. In freezing cold and fog. People are willing to catch a cold to get some of those 3.50 t shirts. Covid truly seem to exist only on RTE, BBCs and CNN. Remember mass graves in Brazil :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,129 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

The City Centre yesterday was ‘busier than he expected’ yesterday when he was in. Such a calamity. People out & about.

And yet he was contributing to the crowds himself.

Great point. If this was a deadly disease they'd be doing the death and destruction announcements over zoom.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 547 ✭✭✭BeefeaterHat

Yeah but like his appearance on the late late he was probably on important business or something.

Its called statistics..

If you've lived that long, you can expect to live another 9 years, on average. You could drop dead in the morning, you could live another 20 years or more

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

Holohan is now sending out his usual boring scripted warning messages again so he can remain relevant and he can say 'told you so' in January and demand we go back to Level 5 for being naughty and reckless over the Christmas period.

What a snooze fest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,129 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

Tony very surprised that the ECDC said air travel was safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

I'm not surprised he is surprised :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭brisan

Boggles wrote: »
    People continuously misunderstand life expectancy.

But anyway she could live until she is a 100.

She'll have experienced worse in her life than only being able to spend 105 minutes in a pub or whatever it is for a restaurant.

She has lived through far tougher times, she'll be grand.

I imagine she is not on the internet snowflaking out about it, she's probably down the pub.

She is on the internet ok as its about the only contact she has with her grandchildren
    She does not drink and yes she has experienced the war and recessions .but at least she had some social contact during those times ,now she has none

If you've lived that long, you can expect to live another 9 years, on average. You could drop dead in the morning, you could live another 20 years or more

Pushing me nicely into 100 + years old.

Also, I have some magic beans for you :)

• Advertisement

xhomelezz wrote: »
    Or on people not showing up for tests. Happily going to work or wherever and happily spreading. I think at this stage everyone should know how to avoid covid infections, even without being told by authorities. But because that's not the case, there comes restrictions.

Would you include HSE run hospitals and care homes in this cohort ?
    Evidence suggests otherwise

Nursing homes are a private business

Not all of them
    But you knew that ,
    You did know that didn't you ???

Nursing homes are a private business

Monitored and regulated by who ?????

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Thats me

copeyhagen wrote: »
    lost 1 37th of my life to this ****e.

Given we have about 9 months of "this ****e", are you going to die in age 21.75?

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Rrrrrr2

Yea Tony the GP and long time pen pusher knows a lot more than all of the ECDC put together- I’m shocked they haven’t heard of him and sought his advice for all of Europe

risteard7 wrote: »
    Staff are bringing it in to work, so a student nurse goes to a house party with friends on a Saturday night & has to go to work the following week after getting the virus.

How the hell, can you blame the HSE for that?

They have these things called covid tests
    They used to test all HCW and nursing home residents daily ,now they don't

How come there are still so many Garda checkpoints around? I get the need for them at county lines, but for instance in Dublin, there are so many, that are a good distance from county borders...

Swords: R132 at the GAA club, checkpoint there daily now..
    Swords Road (under M50 bridge), there now
    Oscar Traynor road, it's there quite often....

Why are there still so many checkpoints (well) within Dublin? Is it just to show their presence? to keep up the fight against Covid? to intimidate??

Could be for other reasons but using covid as an excuse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,530 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Everyone is, as it goes against ECDC's own advice.

Traffic-Light-image.PNG

It's also largely based on Europe is riddled anyway, so what harm.

bb1234567 wrote: »
    Well to be fair they were adamant and ensuring that the Olympics would go ahead last summer as well, I wouldn't be surprised if they don't again really

Japan will have their population vaccinated before that
    They do things like that properly

• Advertisement

if they are unreliable then no point in wasting time using them given you would have to send the samples for a reliable test anyway.
    may as well just shorten the period for testing to a week and send the samples for a reliable test.

You are deliberately misquoting the OP to suit your own agenda and you should apologize, but I reckon apology is not a word you are familiar with
    The op said the tests were not 100% effective but you conveniently left out the 100%
    Even if they only caught 80% of the positive cases that is 80% less fornicating young nurses spreading the virus

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement