Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part VII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭brisan

1000 people died in nursing homes. There should be a inquiry but Tony does not want one.....
    Bit like the cervical cancer scandal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

brisan wrote: »
    Monitored and regulated by who ?????
    HIQA supposedly, the HSE oversee public ones.

Yeah but like his appearance on the late late he was probably on important business or something.

That 16 k a month wont spend itself

Tony very surprised that the ECDC said air travel was safe.

Air travel is now officially safer that sitting in your local having a pint without a burger
    Note:
    Statistics as to the change in this statement a burger will make are as yet unknown

RobitTV wrote: »
    I'm not surprised he is surprised :pac:

Is he worried or just surprised

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Tony very surprised that the ECDC said air travel was safe.

Disappointed he's not concerned.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 547 ✭✭✭BeefeaterHat

Japan will have their population vaccinated before that
    They do things like that properly

They'll have all 120 million vaccinated by the summer. We'll still be shambling around with the OAPs here around the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Stormyteacup

OwenM wrote: »
    That's a facile view, maybe we could have (unlikely but especially unlikely while using WHO guidance on death classification) but how would we have stayed there without rendering waste to the economy and killing as many if not more from other causes. This is simple 'Zero-Covid' nonsense. I haven't even mentioned the border with NI.

Yes sorry was being facetious. Replying to poster claiming the deaths are low because of restrictions. Find those posts irritating.

IFR estimates based on up to date evidence shows nothing near thousands of lives 'saved' by restrictions. Overblown nonsense. From May should have been some social distancing, no large gatherings and hygiene measures - and that's all that was necessary until health service began to show strain above normal.

So for the level of social, financial and mental upheaval in this country for ten months what's the acceptable level of death and at what cost?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 547 ✭✭✭BeefeaterHat

You are deliberately misquoting the OP to suit your own agenda and you should apologize, but I reckon apology is not a word you are familiar with
    The op said the tests were not 100% effective but you conveniently left out the 100%
    Even if they only caught 80% of the positive cases that is 80% less fornicating young nurses spreading the virus

I was actually dumbfounded when I read the comment you're referencing from the other night. People will literally tie themselves in logical knots to try and absolve the government and HSE of all blame for whatever reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,530 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Air travel is now officially safer that sitting in your local having a pint without a burger

It probably is yes, given mask mandates, filtration, etc.

Travelling from one country which has 12+ times the incidence rate of Ireland should not be encouraged though.

It would be dangerously stupid to do so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

'We essentially don't agree with that advice': Dr Holohan 'surprised' at ECDC guidance on air travel - Link

“We essentially don’t agree with that advice,” he said, adding that he believes the right public health advice for this country is for people to avoid non-essential air travel this Christmas.

So Tony is now saying we should IGNORE the experts :pac: got it.

ECDC has rattled Tony’s cage. He isn't going to listen to this information from the ECDC as it will hurt his power in Ireland.

This guys ego is mental. Remember last week he was saying it's important not to put the blame on specific people.

So Tony is now saying we should IGNORE the experts at the ECDC :pac: got it.

Having actually read the report from the ECDC the only prudent thing to do would be to ignore it unequivocally.

The last time I checked Ireland were the only country in the EU in the green, every other country was deep in red and by some margin.

The advice goes against the ECDC's own recommendations.

If you could put away the hatred of the CMO for 2 minutes and based your opinion on reality you would see it too.

It would be beyond stupid if Ireland in the position they are in to back the ECDC advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,129 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

'We essentially don't agree with that advice': Dr Holohan 'surprised' at ECDC guidance on air travel - Link

“We essentially don’t agree with that advice,” he said, adding that he believes the right public health advice for this country is for people to avoid non-essential air travel this Christmas.

ECDC has rattled Tony’s cage. He isn't going to listen to this information from the ECDC as it will hurt his power in Ireland.

This guys ego is mental.

Remember last week he told us it was important not to blame or shame specific groups of people?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,129 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

Boggles wrote: »
    Having actually read the report from the ECDC the only prudent thing to do would be to ignore it unequivocally.

The last time I checked Ireland were the only country in the EU in the green, every other country was deep in red and by some margin.

If you could put away the hatred of the CMO for 2 minutes and based your opinion on reality you would see it too.

It would be beyond stupid if Ireland in the position they were in to back the ECDC advice.

We are not in the green classification, far from it.

If you could put away the hatred of CMO for 2 minutes and based your opinion on reality you would see it too.

Ireland is on orange, not green. We will be heading back to red soon don't worry. There is some reality for you.

Why should I trust Holohan over the ECDC? Is Holohan better suited to deliver recommenations on air travel now?

w47_48_COVID_subnational_Last_2week.png?itok=2Gv4JA6e

Why should I trust Holohan over the ECDC? Is Holohan better suited to deliver recommenations on air travel now?

Forget both of them if it helps.

Give your own opinion.

Do you think it is wise to encourage travel from countries that have 10+ times our incidence rate?

Forget both of them if it helps.

Give your own opinion.

Do you think it is wise to encourage travel from countries that have 10+ times our incidence rate?

I will be more than happy to give my own opinion. If the testing regime is ready to go and can deliver fast results, then it would not matter where any individual came from in Europe. If testing can be carried out then safe air travel is possible.

I'm delighted that 50,000 people are returning home this Christmas (Link) so they can spend time with their families. Testing is available at Dublin, Cork and Shannon airports. Everyone should get a test and that would be the end of the story.

Seriously though, this can be resolved without being blown out of proportion by Holohan and NPHET.

I will be more than happy to give my own opinion. If the testing regime is ready to go and can deliver fast results, then it would not matter where any individual came from in Europe. If testing can be carried out then safe air travel is possible.

I'm delighted that 50,000 people are returning home this Christmas (Link) so they can spend time with their families. Testing is available at Dublin, Cork and Shannon airports. Everyone should get a test and that would be the end of the story.

Seriously though, this can be resolved without being blown out of proportion by Holohan and NPHET.

Is testing free and mandatory?

It probably is yes, given mask mandates, filtration, etc.

Travelling from one country which has 12+ times the incidence rate of Ireland should not be encouraged though.

It would be dangerously stupid to do so.

Would having a pint without a burger register higher or lower on Tony's stupidometer than flying from a highly infected country
    I say stupidometer because I know his worrymeter is off the scale

• Advertisement

Is testing free and mandatory?

It should be free and mandatory for safe air travel. I see many companies making a profit from this situation and it's unacceptable. Some companies are charging 100 euro and more for a single test in Ireland.

In Spain and in some other European nations you can get a test for €20-30 euro. It's still not free, but €20-30 euro is a very reasonable price.

In Spain you are required to have a negative covid result before you enter the country (Link) - This is why I believe the test should be free or around €20-30 euro at the most.

Ireland should be doing more. Holohan and NPHET have advised the government to simply ignore many of the previous testing proposals from Dublin Airport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭Dickie10

will Euro 2021 be going ahead behind closed doors?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,862 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Dickie10 wrote: »
    will Euro 2021 be going ahead behind closed doors?

Hope we get news soon about this

Have a ticket bought for one of the games in Dublin and would like to get a refund

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

At least two tests are needed to have any significant level of safety and two tests going back. There is no evidence of any credible plan to achieve this.

It should be free and mandatory for safe air travel.

I agree with you.

But that isn't going to happen, so it brings me back to the question I asked you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

This guys ego is mental. Remember last week he was saying it's important not to put the blame on specific people.

Typical of NPHET, making it up as they go along and ignoring the experts.

I agree with you.

But that isn't going to happen, so it brings me back to the question I asked you.

There is no reason in my opinion as to why this couldn't happen. But the government and NPHET have made a choice not to engage with the DAA and get a proper testing facility going in the three main airports. I think this is a mistake, they dont want travel to take place, but they are making it much worse by refusing to invest in the adequate testing facilities. If you had testing, then this situation wouldn't be even being discussed still after all these months.

I think air travel is very safe, and people should allowed to return home for Christmas. The ECDC is now at loggerheads with Holohan over this and quite frankly it's just another pointless disagreement which should of been resolved weeks ago.

Travel doesn't have to be encouraged, but freedom of movement is always going to be inevitable in our society today. It's just the way it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

GazzaL wrote: »
    Typical of NPHET, making it up as they go along and ignoring the experts.

NPHET work off how they "feel" rather than actual evidence and facts. See, pubs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭Pasteur.

There is no reason in my opinion as to why this couldn't happen. But the government and NPHET have made a choice not to engage with the DAA and get a proper testing facility going in the three main airports. I think this is a mistake, they dont want travel to take place, but they are making it much worse by refusing to invest in the adequate testing facilities. If you had testing, then this situation wouldn't be even being discussed still after all these months.

I think air travel is very safe, and people should allowed to return home for Christmas. The ECDC is now at loggerheads with Holohan over this and quite frankly it's just another pointless disagreement which should of been resolved weeks ago.

Travel doesn't have to be encouraged, but freedom of movement is always going to be inevitable in our society today. It's just the way it is.

Didn't we skip a lot of the basic stuff here like rapid testing, track and trace etc

Even the fone app , heard nothing about it

Seems like we just had lockdowns and wait for the vaccine

• Advertisement

Travel doesn't have to be encouraged

That's what the ECDC document effectively does, which goes against their own recommendations.

But again, lets put aside them and NPHET and face the reality that there is no robust testing regimes at our ports.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement