Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part VII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,129 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

Question at the presser today that if someone is going to travel home for Christmas(within Ireland) and take a test before travelling, then which day would be best to take a test.

Answer given was forget about that, taking a test doesn't help. Just don't meet anyone and don't travel.

These guys are pure mad, not even letting people take sensible precautions.

I'll be taking a test a few days before going to see my relatives. I see that as a sensible precaution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

Question at the presser today that if someone is going to travel home for Christmas(within Ireland) and take a test before travelling, then which day would be best to take a test.

Answer given was forget about that, taking a test doesn't help. Just don't meet anyone and don't travel.

I'll be taking a test a few days before going to see my relatives. I see that as a sensible precaution.

Surely they meant just don't meet anyone before travelling?

polesheep wrote: »
    Surely they meant just don't meet anyone before travelling?

They did, but some people can't avoid not meeting people as part of their work. would you say that to a nurse, supermarket worker otr bus driver for example?

People are going to travel anyway so getting test before doing so (privately of course) is a sensible precaution.
    Students in the UK are all being given a free antigen test at their university before travelling home to help ensure they don't bring anything home.

It's not 100% effective but it's a common sense approach.

They did, but some people can't avoid not meeting people as part of their work. would you say that to a nurse, supermarket worker otr bus driver for example?

People are going to travel anyway so getting test before doing so (privately of course) is a sensible precaution.
    Students in the UK are all being given a free antigen test at their university before travelling home to help ensure they don't bring anything home.

It's not 100% effective but it's a common sense approach.

Don't get me wrong, I wasn't commenting on the test. I was surprised that they said don't see people and don't travel. A test will of course reduce the possibility of spreading Covid. Otherwise we're wasting an awful lot of money testing people.

polesheep wrote: »
    Don't get me wrong, I wasn't commenting on the test. I was surprised that they said don't see people and don't travel. A test will of course reduce the possibility of spreading Covid. Otherwise we're wasting an awful lot of money testing people.

NPHET just don't do common sense or nuanced thinking.
    They talk to the public like they're all idiots incapable of thinking for themselves or making a personal risk analysis'.

So it just comes down to 'don't do this, don't do that'.

• Advertisement

I know someone coming home next weekend for the month. Went for a test today I think and have test booked here next Thursday

NPHET just don't do common sense or nuanced thinking.
    They talk to the public like they're all idiots incapable of thinking for themselves or making a personal risk analysis'.

So it just comes down to 'don't do this, don't do that'.

True. I noticed in Fergal Bower's tweet that they said, "This disease has a high mortality, especially among the vulnerable and the old." They used the word 'especially' when they should have used 'only'. No mistake, of course.

I know someone coming home next weekend for the month. Went for a test today I think and have test booked here next Thursday

Yeah, I'm not asking for myself. I'll make my own judgement based on when I travel and how many people I have come in contact with over the previous days/ weeks.
    Most likely will book a test the day before I travel home.

I just think NPHET could give advice on this to other people, instead of just discouraging the idea.
    You can buy antigen tests yourself now for €10-€15 and test yourself every day if you want but NPHET seems to have something against antigen tests and refuse to endorse them for any purpose.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭Gervais08

Yeah, I'm not asking for myself. I'll make my own judgement based on when I travel and how many people I have come in contact with over the previous days/ weeks.
    Most likely will book a test the day before I travel home.

I just think NPHET could give advice on this to other people, instead of just discouraging the idea.
    You can buy antigen tests yourself now for €10-€15 and test yourself every day if you want but NPHET seems to have something against antigen tests and refuse to endorse them for any purpose.

I’ve a mate works for the NHS and has about 25 of these; standard for healthcare workers there.

NPHET are a danger to the public, not a help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Boggles wrote: »
    That would be more of an advancement in technology TBH. Quite a considerable advancement.

But who knows. We might Walt Disney back yet.

And yet here we are destroying lives and the economy to deal with a very low number of deaths.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,527 ✭✭✭HBC08

Gervais08 wrote: »
    I’ve a mate works for the NHS and has about 25 of these; standard for healthcare workers there.

I've just had a look at the home antigen tests.
    It seems it needs to be performed in the same way as the ones we do here at the testing centres (perhaps it's the same test,I'm not familiar with the name of it)
    I've had that test and the chances on me being able to do that test on myself to a medically sufficient point is slim.
    I would love to be able to do a test on Christmas eve before heading to the folks house but the above is not the answer.

Simplistic nonsense on social media is a danger to the public,not a help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,530 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Zebra3 wrote: »
    And yet here we are destroying lives and the economy to deal with a very low number of deaths.

Yes, so say so many anonymous users on the internet.

But there you go. Nuance wouldn't be a strong point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Gervais08 wrote: »

What is beyond obvious at this stage, is that fear is a tool in the fight against covid by our health authorities.

A couple of things I am very uncomfortable with -

Why are we still using PCR testing...a combination of antigen testing and temperature checks should suffice for a relative return to normal.

The obsession with a vaccine (which I have no problem with) which a lot of people have been sucked into and yet the absence of any coverage of therapeutics, which would probably have the same effect for the individual. Perhaps someone with a better understanding can address that one for me!!

The persistent use of fear with daily reporting of test cases...this is very deliberate but what about the toll anxiety takes on a lot of people...for a virus with a very low death rate.

HBC08 wrote: »
    I've just had a look at the home antigen tests.
    It seems it needs to be performed in the same way as the ones we do here at the testing centres (perhaps it's the same test,I'm not familiar with the name of it)
    I've had that test and the chances on me being able to do that test on myself to a medically sufficient point is slim.
    I would love to be able to do a test on Christmas eve before heading to the folks house but the above is not the answer.

Simplistic nonsense on social media is a danger to the public,not a help.

You can get a certified one done from many labs around the country (performed by a medic) from about €50.
    You can even get a PCR test for under €100 with results guaranteed the next morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,527 ✭✭✭HBC08

You can get a certified one done from many labs around the country (performed by a medic) from about €50.
    You can even get a PCR test for under €100 with results guaranteed the next morning.

Thanks,I know you can organise a test to be professionally done.
    I was responding to your €10-€15 do it immediately at home post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Yes, so say so many anonymous users on the internet.

You have data to show that's not the case?

HBC08 wrote: »
    Thanks,I know you can organise a test to be professionally done.
    I was responding to your €10-€15 do it immediately at home post.

You could do those as an addition.

Zebra3 wrote: »
    You have data to show that's not the case?

You want data to show that Covid 19 is an extremely dangerous contagious virus with the ability to overwhelm hospital systems and cause large amounts of mortality?

:confused:

Anyway, let's pretend it isn't. Let's pretend it's "just the flu bro" or as I have read on this thread "not even the flu".

Why would governments across the globe and particularly Western Capitalism crash itself so?

You want data to show that Covid 19 is an extremely dangerous contagious virus with the ability to overwhelm hospital systems and cause large amounts of mortality?

:confused:

Anyway, let's pretend it isn't. Let's pretend it's "just the flu bro" or as I have read on this thread "not even the flu".

Flu overwhelms our hospitals every winter 'Bro' (except this one), so don't downplay the flu.

What is beyond obvious at this stage, is that fear is a tool in the fight against covid by our health authorities.

A couple of things I am very uncomfortable with -

Why are we still using PCR testing...a combination of antigen testing and temperature checks should suffice for a relative return to normal.

The obsession with a vaccine (which I have no problem with) which a lot of people have been sucked into and yet the absence of any coverage of therapeutics, which would probably have the same effect for the individual. Perhaps someone with a better understanding can address that one for me!!

The persistent use of fear with daily reporting of test cases...this is very deliberate but what about the toll anxiety takes on a lot of people...for a virus with a very low death rate.

A few weeks ago, you would have been told to go to the conspiracy forum for suggesting we were deliberately spreading fear. Then Tony steps up and breaks out his worry graph, telling us he is concerned that we are not more afraid.

Then the health minister in Belgium admits that they closed retail for the shock factor more than anything else.

• Advertisement

Flu overwhelms our hospitals every winter 'Bro' (except this one), so don't downplay the flu.

Now you are getting there.

What would you think a new virus left untethered would do to our hospital system?

Then the health minister in Belgium admits that they closed retail for the shock factor more than anything else.

That or they ran out of ICU capacity.
    Belgium’s surging second wave of COVID-19 cases has forced it to move some severely ill patients, many on ventilators, to neighbouring Germany, and air ambulances began flying Belgian patients further into the country on Tuesday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,465 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

What would you think a new virus left untethered would do to our hospital system?

Untethered?

Do you mean no social distancing and hand washing?

Do you mean not taking one counter measure against the disease?

Or are you still justifying all the unproven restrictions on Irish citizens which could continue for another 12 month’s

Or are you still justifying all the unproven restrictions on Irish citizens which could continue for another 12 month’s

Restrictions come in, virus rate goes down, restrictions lift, virus rate goes back up.

Surely you have seen a graph at this stage?

Also "Irish Citizens" is a weird phrase? Do all non Irish Citizens living here not count or do the restrictions just work on them? :confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 547 ✭✭✭BeefeaterHat

Restrictions come in, virus rate goes down, restrictions lift, virus rate goes back up.

Also "Irish Citizens" is a weird phrase? Do all non Irish Citizens living here not count or do the restrictions just work on them? :confused:

Don't be pedantic. You know what he meant by Irish citizen so don't add word twisting to your repertoire.

The virus still went up and down in countries with very little restrictions...

Perhaps it’s just seasonal and restrictions have actually done nothing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,465 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Are you suggesting the initial measures of social distancing and mask wearing are pointless exercises?

What restrictions are the most effective?

Surely you can quantify your defence?

You come across as very patronising.
    Any chance you are a member of NPHET? If not you'd probably fit in well as you share their tone.

Untethered?

Do you mean no social distancing and hand washing?

Do you mean not taking one counter measure against the disease?

People are so filled with fear and anxiety that even if Tony declared the whole thing gone tomorrow, most would continue to be very careful.

Despite the fact that a lot of posters in this forum think the Irish are rebellious and non compliant (or Plain thick as I have seen said here) it's actually the opposite we are some of the most cautious and compliant people in the world.

I'm still convinced that the initial advice we received on 14th march (before the first lockdown) would have ended up having more or less the same results we have had up to now without a lot of the negative side affects.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

whats your opinion on the HSE figures of those that died with covid, and their ages and underlying conditions?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement