Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part VII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Comments

rubadub wrote: »
    Do you think pubs should be open and allow standing at the bar or elsewhere? If so what do you consider to be a nightclub and why should they be closed and not bars.

I was asking this in another thread an unsurprisingly got no answer. Lots of pubs are similar to nightclubs, just not open as late, so if you have an issue with those have you any suggestions on keeping them shut.

Pubs and clubs are not really similar at all. Clubs pump loud music and generally have a packed dance floor as well as a packed bar with people screaming at the poor barman. You also have young people scoring and going even further at times. Great craic when you’re young like, but understandable that they’re closed during this.

Pubs have much more capacity to open safely, using table service etc

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Paddygreen

Looking forward to my substantial vegan lunch going forward soon guys. I will not be consuming any alcohol with my unsalted avocado gunk made by organic pygmys on rice cakes because these are very sobering times. It’s just a waiting game now to see how angry the peasantry will make Mr Tony, he is going to steam like a schoolyard piss patch on a frosty morning over the Christmas I’d say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭Dickie10

Pubs and clubs are not really similar at all. Clubs pump loud music and generally have a packed dance floor as well as a packed bar with people screaming at the poor barman. You also have young people scoring and going even further at times. Great craic when you’re young like, but understandable that they’re closed during this.

Pubs have much more capacity to open safely, using table service etc

im 37 and that sounds like great craic! nightclubs are great fun! cant wait for them to come back. now on a further note, could the government ever possibly try to bring in table seating like a restauraunt in aall pubs /bars? would publicans want this? would the public enjoy this better? is this done anywhere else in the world? i dont think irish people would cope without being able to just land into a pub and wander around bumping into aquantinces you never planned to meet. Like that exactly what my saturday nights used to be. only maybe 40% of the time i would actually be going into the pub with another person, usually loosley based plans to meet in a certain bar etc, sometimes im a lone wolf for the night but very rarely i usuallly fall in with some aqauntinces for the night. i know a lot of people would be horrified by this as a night out though.

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Thats me

Dickie10 wrote: »
    im 37 and that sounds like great craic! nightclubs are great fun! cant wait for them to come back.

i'd presume you are one per thousands in this age in the night clubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Paddygreen wrote: »
    he is going to steam like a schoolyard piss patch on a frosty morning
    Move over Seamus Heaney !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

Succulent to see the daily covid numbers headlines drop down in priority. Dr Doomer trying his hardest to "warn" and "urge caution" but he can't escape the data and a weary public who are sick of his pessimistic narrative which has accompanied all press briefings no matter what numbers. Brexit dominating the headlines again must be making him fume into his cornflakes this morning as the masses descend on shops, restaurants and homes to enjoy the Christmas build up. Well earned of course for everyone, the people have done their bit this year in Ireland to ensure our hospitals never got overrun.

There will be bigger challenges than COVID in Ireland next year. If NPHET continue their social and economic war, those challenges will be even more difficult to tackle.

GazzaL wrote: »
    There will be bigger challenges than COVID in Ireland next year. If NPHET continue their social and economic war, those challenges will be even more difficult to tackle.

We can Build back Better. Don’t worry, the government are listening to the experts. Fully automatic domed cities, monorails and hoverboards by 2025. Or maybe just a surveillance app with our health details that used to be private and mass unemployment. If we put our faith in the Experts (Amen) everything will be fine, they are not self interested, bribed or dangerously deluded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

McDonkey back in the media this morning with Zero Covid. And so it goes on.

Year Zero Covid going forward. I think his ouija board got stuck somewhere between Lavrentiy Beria and Pol Pot. Hard to tune it in sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭tmabr

Huge crowds at tattersalls horse auction yesterday. Opposite fairy house track.
    Possibly over a thousand cars many with horse boxes.
    On again today.
    Surely this is not allowed. Car registration s from all over the 32 counties

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Summer2020

The man is never off the air/ out of the headlines. An absolute attention whore and a charlatan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

This is the sort of scintillating discourse this thread needs more of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,907 ✭✭✭acequion

This is the sort of scintillating discourse this thread needs more of.

Your point being what exactly? Look at the thread title! "Relaxation of restrictions". Anything to do with Mc Conkey and the zero covid anti relaxation pushers is highly relevant and can lead to some very "scintillating discourse" as the many pages of this long thread will reveal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

tmabr wrote: »
    Huge crowds at tattersalls horse auction yesterday. Opposite fairy house track.
    Possibly over a thousand cars many with horse boxes.
    On again today.
    Surely this is not allowed. Car registration s from all over the 32 counties

Buying livestock is one of the exemptions so it’s perfectly fine!

It’s pandemonium out there guys, spine chilling. Just back from Spar. There must have been a rush on the falafel salad just before lunch, they were cleaned out, left with two portions of sausage rolls a taco chip and a pocket full of free mayonnaise . I don’t identify as vegan today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

Went into Dublin yesterday for possibly the first time this year. It was glorious. Bought a magazine in Easons and a couple of Blu-rays in Tower. Also had a nice browse through the vinyl records. Then had a look around Hodges Figgis. Loads of people around just getting on with their lives. Can’t believe how good it felt just to do those simple things. Highly recommended.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

Watching the Ministry for Fear and Intimidation tonight. They spent ten minutes telling us that the spike in cases today is very bad we need to be really careful reduce your interactions with other people NOW! In the very next link he told we shouldn’t obsess over the daily case numbers! Jesus ****ing Christ!

It’s all nonsense at this point. Get the elderly jabbed ASAP and let’s get on with things.

85 year olds will continue to die but it won’t matter if we get Covid off the cert.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

It’s all nonsense at this point. Get the elderly jabbed ASAP and let’s get on with things.

85 year olds will continue to die but it won’t matter if we get Covid off the cert.

I think the interesting this is the latest campaign about nursing home visits and human rights. 9 months ago NPHET were criticised for not introducing visiting restrictions quickly enough. Now the criticism is the restrictions are too much and a human rights violation.
    It proves u can't win, if nothing else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

Went into Dublin yesterday for possibly the first time this year. It was glorious. Bought a magazine in Easons and a couple of Blu-rays in Tower. Also had a nice browse through the vinyl records. Then had a look around Hodges Figgis. Loads of people around just getting on with their lives. Can’t believe how good it felt just to do those simple things. Highly recommended.

I did the same... but ended up drinking til all hours and now have myself convinced i’ve caught it.. the media have me shltting myself..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,129 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

Uriel. wrote: »
    I think the interesting this is the latest campaign about nursing home visits and human rights. 9 months ago NPHET were criticised for not introducing visiting restrictions quickly enough. Now the criticism is the restrictions are too much and a human rights violation.
    It proves u can't win, if nothing else.

How’s about a mad idea like approving some of the more reliable antigen tests to be taken by any visitor?
    No, that would be too much like lateral thinking so instead limit visitors and don’t test them. Typical Tony and his narrow way of thinking.

Watching the Ministry for Fear and Intimidation tonight. They spent ten minutes telling us that the spike in cases today is very bad we need to be really careful reduce your interactions with other people NOW! In the very next link he told we shouldn’t obsess over the daily case numbers! Jesus ****ing Christ!

Mixed messaging to create fear and uncertainty - straight out of the abusive relationship handbook.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,530 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Did NPHET give a briefing last night?

:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,644 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Why do people continue watching things like this when it makes their blood pressure rise so much?

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Pixies, Ride, Therapy?, Public Service Broadcasting, IDLES(x2), And So I Watch You From Afar

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭risteard7

Flu season has disappeared this year and we've no trolley Crisis either. Strange

risteard7 wrote: »
    Flu season has disappeared this year and we've no trolley Crisis either. Strange

I really don’t understand how nobody is getting flu in flu season...

The usual suspects will obviously claim its restrictions but sure even level 5 and we still have hundreds a day testing positive for Covid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

risteard7 wrote: »
    what is your definition of strange?

here is google's.
    strange
    /streɪn(d)ʒ/
    Learn to pronounce
    adjective
    unusual or surprising; difficult to understand or explain.

It is certainly unusual, but does not surprise me, and not difficult to understand. We were joking in work as the usual lad who seems to always have "something" at this time of year has caught nothing. The last ~15years or so he always had something and would be sneezing & coughing and we were saying he would be banished this year.
    there were several sites explaining it, going on about typical R numbers for it, and how its just basically down. Some even talking how the flu could be at risk of being wiped out.

It doesn't just magically develop, like how some people think you get a cold just from being out in cold weather.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,855 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

The usual suspects will obviously claim its restrictions but sure even level 5 and we still have hundreds a day testing positive for Covid.

The flu jab is more available to the kids right now, so that has slowed it down.

Older people are isolating more, so that also has kept the hospital numbers down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,530 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

You mean science and reality?

• Advertisement

So lifting restrictions and mask wearing etc must necessarily result in a rise in influenza deaths next flu season.

How can we morally justify lifting restrictions?

Won't we be killing granny?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement