Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part VII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

I’m getting the vaccine in my Christmas stocking this year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,530 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    I’m getting the vaccine in my Christmas stocking this year

I think it works better if you get it in your arm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

Looks like the new strain is different to others here previously.

‘The UK’s new strain contains similar mutations to the spike receptor, which is the target of most vaccines currently in development, but Andrew Davidson, a reader in virology at the University of Bristol, does not believe this will present a significant issue.’

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/new-covid-virus-hancock-today-b1773682.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭Cork2021

Looks like the new strain is different to others here previously.

‘The UK’s new strain contains similar mutations to the spike receptor, which is the target of most vaccines currently in development, but Andrew Davidson, a reader in virology at the University of Bristol, does not believe this will present a significant issue.’

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/new-covid-virus-hancock-today-b1773682.html

It’s a non issue being played out of all proportions by the media! The English papers are a disgrace this morning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,365 ✭✭✭facehugger99

The truth is starting to drip-feed out about the spectacular mismanagement of Covid by the HSE and NPHET

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/1215/1184533-nursing-home-sage/

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/1215/1184548-hospital-hiqa-report/

Maybe if Dr Tony and friends had spent less time finger-wagging at people drinking pints on the street and going on summer holidays and more time on their own areas of responsibility, we have far less Covid deaths this year.

The clappy-seals would want to get working on the Dr Tony statue very soon because when the truth finally emerges of the money-wasted and needless hysteria and fear-mongering engaged in as a diversionary tactic, expect to see a lot of very angry people come out of the woodwork.

• Advertisement

The truth is starting to drip-feed out about the spectacular mismanagement of Covid by the HSE and NPHET

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/1215/1184533-nursing-home-sage/

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/1215/1184548-hospital-hiqa-report/

Maybe if Dr Tony and friends had spent less time finger-wagging at people drinking pints on the street and going on summer holidays and more time on their own areas of responsibility, we have far less Covid deaths this year.

The clappy-seals would want to get working on the Dr Tony statue very soon because when the truth finally emerges of the money-wasted and needless hysteria and fear-mongering engaged in as a diversionary tactic, expect to see a lot of very angry people come out of the woodwork.

Neither article has anything to do with Holohan.

As for "needless hysteria and fear-mongering"

Have you even taken a courtesy look at the state of parts of Europe and America at the minute?

Boggles wrote: »

Have you even taken a courtesy look at the state of parts of Europe and America at the minute?

Tony is the Chief Medical Officer and leader of NPHET ... I’d like to think he has some accountability for hospitals and homes performance.

What is wrong in Europe and America? Of course some people are going to die during a pandemic...

Thankfully 1.6M in a year is very little.

Tony is the Chief Medical Officer and leader of NPHET ... I’d like to think he has some accountability for hospitals and homes performance.

He has nothing to do with the issues highlighted in either article.
    What is wrong in Europe and America? Of course some people are going to die during a pandemic...

Thankfully 1.6M in a year is very little.

Would you be thankful if Ireland was in similar position at the moment?

He has nothing to do with the issues highlighted in either article.

Would you be thankful if Ireland was in similar position at the moment?

Well perhaps you have just figured out the real issue with our hospitals. No accountability.

Why bother having a CMO leading our Emergency response team if he can easily just shrug his shoulders and say “Not my job”

We are in a similar position. Some countries might have it a bit worse at various times. But overall the death toll is very low.

Well perhaps you have just figured out the real issue with our hospitals. No accountability.

Why bother having a CMO leading our Emergency response team if he can easily just shrug his shoulders and say “Not my job”

But it's nothing to do with him.

What part of that is confusing you?

The HSE is not fit for purpose, it's not a new phenomenon, it's been indulged by successive FG/FG governments, none of which is the CMO's fault.
    We are in a similar position. Some countries might have it a bit worse at various times. But overall the death toll is very low.

Nope, we have the lowest incidence rate in the EU and while others are bringing in the most severe restrictions for the Christmas period we will be able to enjoy the Christmas period in relative safety.

I think any reasonable individual would celebrate that fact.

• Advertisement

But it's nothing to do with him.

What part of that is confusing you?

The HSE is not fit for purpose, it's not a new phenomenon, it's been indulged by successive FG/FG governments, none of which is the CMO's fault.

Nope, we have the lowest incidence rate in the EU and while others are bringing in the most severe restrictions for the Christmas period we will be able to enjoy the Christmas period in relative safety.

I think any reasonable individual would celebrate that fact.

I’d be surprised if we didn’t have the lowest incidence rate, we had the harshest restrictions in all of Europe.

20% of the workforce unemployed.
    350000 on PUP payments.
    Potentially 2000 missed cancer diagnosis.
    Our deaths per million is not fantastic either considering the length of our restrictions.

I won’t be celebrating. I’m not bought that easily.
    Enjoy your few weeks before we lockdown again...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

Translation: quick look over there!!

I’d be surprised if we didn’t have the lowest incidence rate, we had the harshest restrictions in all of Europe.

Nope, various European countries now shuttering schools as well as all non essential business.

We got the timing right, lowest incidence in the EU heading into a period where the reproductive number could at least double.

Public health are certainly not above criticism during this pandemic, but they have to be given large credit for the favorable position we are in at the moment and of the course the vast vast majority of the populous who have played their part.

Re the economy. Good news on that front too.

Ibec predicts ‘resilient’ Irish economy will bounce back strongly in 2021

Cheer up, it's nearly Christmas. A lot to be thankful for.

Translation: quick look over there!!

Translation: Stop with the pandemic denial, it's been nearly a year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,265 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

20% of the workforce unemployed.
    350000 on PUP payments.
    Potentially 2000 missed cancer diagnosis.
    Our deaths per million is not fantastic either considering the length of our restrictions.

I won’t be celebrating. I’m not bought that easily.
    Enjoy your few weeks before we lockdown again...

Do you still honestly believe that we had the harshest restrictions in all of Europe? That’s astonishing. Do you read any news on what’s happening outside of Ireland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,465 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

MadYaker wrote: »
    Do you still honestly believe that we had the harshest restrictions in all of Europe? That’s astonishing. Do you read any news on what’s happening outside of Ireland?

Many of us did.

The open shops, restaurants and cafes from May onwards in the countries with the oldest populations in the most devastated regions was cheerful reading.

From July onwards Ireland’s citizens were fortunate to get a haircut

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,082 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I'd say they still would say we've the harshest restrictions tbh :pac:

Yes and our Taoiseach admitted as much on national TV.

The majority of Europe were open between May and October.

Pubs in Ireland are still closed since March. I believe we are the only country on the planet to have pubs closed this long.

We still won’t even entertain the idea of 200 fans at Croke Park!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭WhiteMemento9

Yes and our Taoiseach admitted as much on national TV.

The majority of Europe were open between May and October.

Pubs in Ireland are still closed since March. I believe we are the only country on the planet to have pubs closed this long.

We still won’t even entertain the idea of 200 fans at Croke Park!!!

Which is the reason that we are open over the festive period while other countries in Europe are now entering really restrictive lockdown. Take a second and breathe, Jack.

Which is the reason that we are open over the festive period while other countries in Europe are now entering really restrictive lockdown. Take a second and breathe, Jack.

The fact Ireland has the EUs youngest population and the disease mainly targets the elderly.

• Advertisement

The fact Ireland has the EUs youngest population and the disease mainly targets the elderly.

Do you want to engage in a conversation or state facts from some Facebook group like you are saying something intelligent?

Is your take that we should do nothing and let the virus numbers rise out of control which is the point at which the last lockdown was imposed. How would you have handled things?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

I think this thread is good though. People are frustrated, it's no harm to let people vent those somewhere so it doesn't get all pent up (while keeping it civil of course ;) )

Most people, even people posting on this thread follow the restrictions, as much as they hate them. That's evident in the case numbers. Letting them have a place to blow off some steam is no harm in my own personal view.

Do you want to engage in a conversation or state facts from some Facebook group like you are saying something intelligent?

Is your take that we should do nothing and let the virus numbers rise out of control which is the point at which the last lockdown was imposed. How would you have handled things?

You have yet again went for the most remedial argument possible.

Your 1st point is nonsense so I’ll leave it.

The 2nd, while also nonsense needs to be addressed.

Are you stating that social distancing and mask wearing is irrelevant?

Or why are you discounting those measures?

You have yet again went for the most remedial argument possible.

Your 1st point is nonsense so I’ll leave it.

The 2nd, while also nonsense needs to be addressed.

Are you stating that social distancing and mask wearing is irrelevant?

Or why are you discounting those measures?

I am not but we had these things in place before the start of the last lockdown. The numbers rose out of control and this then needed more restrictive measures. The same is now happening right across Europe. I am trying to understand why you state a fact like it implies some underlying logic. So I will ask again. How should we have proceeded when the numbers were growing out of control at the start of the last lockdown? What would you have done?

I thought it wasn't about the pubs? :confused:
    I did, just no pubs.
    I know it might be surprising, but not everything is about pubs.

Pubs that serve food and restaurants are currently open.

They are closing all over Europe.

Necro wrote: »
    I think this thread is good though. People are frustrated, it's no harm to let people vent those somewhere so it doesn't get all pent up (while keeping it civil of course ;) )

Most people, even people posting on this thread follow the restrictions, as much as they hate them. That's evident in the case numbers. Letting them have a place to blow off some steam is no harm in my own personal view.

Agreed, the thread seems a lot more even-keeled than during the lockdown which is understandable in itself. It just feels like some are now trying to spin a narrative that it was never needed in the first place.

Necro wrote: »
    I think this thread is good though.

Did Oxford update their definition of that word, did I miss a meeting? :)

Off Topic. But a quick one.

How you since your infection, any long hauling of Covid?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Did Oxford update their definition of that word, did I miss a meeting? :)

Off Topic. But a quick one.

How you since your infection, any long hauling of Covid?

Had hassle with with shortness of breath for about four weeks that required some very strong steroids to shift. Back to normal now though, even back into the office the past three weeks :D

The open shops, restaurants and cafes from May onwards in the countries with the oldest populations in the most devastated regions was cheerful reading.

Not so cheerful now though.

Italy Overtakes U.K. as European Country With Most Covid Deaths
    14,844 new cases and 846 new deaths

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

The richest country in the world just surpassed 300,000 deaths in 10 odd months.

Oh, spare us. :rolleyes:

A deeply dysfunctional country that is not far off third world in places, massive obesity problems, homelessness off the scale in places, no national health service.

A country with a political system that gives Israel billions a year in free war equipment as opposed to looking after its' own people.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement