Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part VII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,129 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

Boggles wrote: »
    Neither article has anything to do with Holohan.

So what is his job then?
    To Sneer at the public, tut tut at their behaviour break out his worry index and tell us how concerned he is?

Because if his job is not to oversee the health service and co-ordinate it's response to the pandemic then i'd wonder what the hell the point of him is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

So what is his job then?
    To Sneer at the public, tut tut at their behaviour break out his worry index and tell us how concerned he is?

Because if his job is not to oversee the health service and co-ordinate it's response to the pandemic then i'd wonder what the hell the point of him is.

For politicians to have someone to hide behind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,265 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Doctors treating patients in car parks outside hospitals in the north now because the hospitals are full. The denial in this thread has always been strong but at times we’re weren’t far away from the same thing happening here.

https://www.rte.ie/news/ulster/2020/1215/1184594-coronavirus-ni/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,855 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

MadYaker wrote: »
    Doctors treating patients in car parks outside hospitals in the north now because the hospitals are full. The denial in this thread has always been strong but at times we’re weren’t far away from the same thing happening here.

Germany deaths up 600 compare to the peak last april.

Ireland doing well to hold this off, hopefully xmas doesn't cause more damage

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭lukas8888

Completely wrong we were never near that outcome.Private hospitals which were taken over were largely left lying empty even through the worst weeks of April/May.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,644 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Yes and our Taoiseach admitted as much on national TV.

The majority of Europe were open between May and October.

Pubs in Ireland are still closed since March. I believe we are the only country on the planet to have pubs closed this long.

We still won’t even entertain the idea of 200 fans at Croke Park!!!

Why do people continue to say this? Pubs in the north have been closed for longer.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Pixies, Ride, Therapy?, Public Service Broadcasting, IDLES(x2), And So I Watch You From Afar

lukas8888 wrote: »
    Completely wrong we were never near that outcome.Private hospitals which were taken over were largely left lying empty even through the worst weeks of April/May.

Is that because of our restrictions or we got lucky so far. Not a fan of the Irish government, so i put it down to luck so far.

Germany struggling now, way better health care than we have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭BryanMartin21

As opposed to other years where there are always sufficient beds for patients during the typical flu season?

Penfailed wrote: »
    Why do people continue to say this? Pubs in the north have been closed for longer.

And why does pubs only get mentioned here. Plenty of things haven't happened since march.

Pubs least important and a drain on our A&E

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Stormyteacup

Hospital capacity operating at 104% - bbc reported 4th November hospital capacity at 101%. I suspect if you look at stats from last years winter you would find hospitals operating over capacity.

It’s shocking to read but A&E are different places to what some may have experienced in the past - large numbers of people on seats and more standing around, waiting to be seen. They can’t allow that kind of crowding in A&E now on account of Covid restrictions. It makes some sense to triage in ambulances rather than in close proximity to others waiting on medical attention.

I’m not convinced it’s as apocalyptic as it seems. Just my opinion of course.

• Advertisement

Hospital capacity operating at 104% - bbc reported 4th November hospital capacity at 101%. I suspect if you look at stats from last years winter you would find hospitals operating over capacity.

It’s shocking to read but A&E are different places to what some may have experienced in the past - large numbers of people on seats and more standing around, waiting to be seen. They can’t allow that kind of crowding in A&E now on account of Covid restrictions. It makes some sense to triage in ambulances rather than in close proximity to others waiting on medical attention.

I’m not convinced it’s as apocalyptic as it seems. Just my opinion of course.

And 800 deaths in Germany today not that bad also?

Boggles wrote: »
    I thought it wasn't about the pubs? :confused:

Pubs that serve food and restaurants are currently open.

They are closing all over Europe.

Not everything is about pubs.
    But the poster asked how we’ve had the harshest restrictions.

So it’s relevant to point out that ourselves and NI are the only countries with pubs closed for so long. (Apologies Penfailed)

And 800 deaths in Germany today not that bad also?

On prime time over one third of germans wont be taking a vaccine..so thats their biggest issue, vaccine scepticism is on the rise so wuestions to be asked there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 547 ✭✭✭BeefeaterHat

So what is his job then?

Exactly, he seems to be responsible for nothing according to some people. If that's the case he's the most well paid empty vessel in the world.

When the government applaud themselves on how well we are doing presently we do have a few advantages over most of europe that they don't point out to us too much:

We are essentially an island nation with over 2/3 rds of population living in republic of Ireland and only one other territory of less than 2 million.

We have the youngest population in Europe.

This second point is very important for a disease that mainly kills older individuals.

No wonder Italy's second wave is nearly as bad as it's first. It has the oldest population in Europe.

Main factors in small second wave in ireland are:

Less susceptible population after fairly big first wave.
    More knowledgeable population.
    Virus is slowly weakening.
    Better hospital treatment.
    Restrictions?

I honestly believe virus is less dangerous than a year ago. Maybe not massively but enough as it is slowly getting more accustomed to humans. Remember it's single goal is to reproduce, not to cause harm. That's just collateral damage to a virus.

Hint: no official is going to say it is weaker as they think everyone would simply say it's over.

In my own age category 35-44 nobody has died in six months yet 12 people died in first wave. 7000 cases reported in my age category since then. 4000 cases reported in first wave. Yes we are catching more cases now but is that even statistically possible to go from 12 deaths in first 3 months to nil in last 6 months?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,861 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

All so depressing with everything pointing towards level 4/level 5 for Jan (its already a grim bloody month as it is), thousands back too applying for the PUP come the 2nd week of Jan

The Vaccine roll out will turn into a farce

The virus is the same, the doctors and nurses just got better at treating it.

Anyone who thinks it’s every year that doctors are treating patients in the back of ambulances outside hospitals due to full A&Es is in complete denial.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Micky 32

When the government applaud themselves on how well we are doing presently we do have a few advantages over most of europe that they don't point out to us too much:

We are essentially an island nation with over 2/3 rds of population living in republic of Ireland and only one other territory of less than 2 million.

This second point is very important for a disease that mainly kills older individuals.

No wonder Italy's second wave is nearly as bad as it's first. It has the oldest population in Europe.

Restrictions?

I honestly believe virus is less dangerous than a year ago. Maybe not massively but enough as it is slowly getting more accustomed to humans. Remember it's single goal is to reproduce, not to cause harm. That's just collateral damage to a virus.

Hint: no official is going to say it is weaker as they think everyone would simply say it's over.

In my own age category 35-44 nobody has died in six months yet 12 people died in first wave. 7000 cases reported in my age category since then. 4000 cases reported in first wave. Yes we are catching more cases now but is that even statistically possible to go from 12 deaths in first 3 months to nil in last 6 months?

Interesting comment from McKee:

Professor McKee said news of the new strain of the virus was announced in a "very unusual way, particularly given that there have been so many other mutations over the past number of months that were not announced in the same way".

“He added that the mutation could well mean that the virus has weakened. “

Not everything is about pubs.
    But the poster asked how we’ve had the harshest restrictions.

So it’s relevant to point out that ourselves and NI are the only countries with pubs closed for so long. (Apologies Penfailed)

As has been pointed out to you a hundred times other countries don’t have pubs like we do. The only similar environment on the continent would be nightclubs and they are all shut.

MadYaker The virus is the same, the doctors and nurses just got better at treating it.

35-44 year olds (ROI)

First wave, circa 4,000 cases 12 deaths

Second wave, circa 7,000 cases 0 deaths

You think 0 deaths in last six months out of 7000 people is all explained by more testing and better hospital care?

• Advertisement

Micky 32 wrote: »
    Interesting comment from McKee:

Professor McKee said news of the new strain of the virus was announced in a "very unusual way, particularly given that there have been so many other mutations over the past number of months that were not announced in the same way".

“He added that the mutation could well mean that the virus has weakened. “

Its nature. It happens to all flus and colds (coronaviruses) over time. Why did life go back to normal after previous pandemics/new outbreaks? This too shall pass.

MadYaker The virus is the same, the doctors and nurses just got better at treating it.

35-44 year olds (ROI)

First wave, circa 4,000 cases 12 deaths

Second wave, circa 7,000 cases 0 deaths

You think 0 deaths in last six months out of 7000 people is all explained by more testing and better hospital care?

Yes.

Yes.

Less admissions to hospitals and icus also in this cohort as a percentage of cases and in total.

I'm not taken in completely by the let it rip brigade or the government that only restrictions and hospital care have helped. Somewhere in the middle lies the truth. We were not good boys and girls in the summer and bad in the winter with restrictions. It is a respiratory disease that is seasonal and it is natural for its severity to wane over time . If this disease was around 100 years ago it would barely have even have registered due to many other competing illnesses, lower average age of population. Africa for example.

It makes sense to me now that we are at the bottom of vaccine priority list. Tony told my cohort that this is a very dangerous illness and could kill you but now thinks an 18 year old should be vaccinated before me. Why? negligible risk for someone my age without underlying conditions. Either he was dishonest then or things have changed 6 months later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Penfailed wrote: »
    you have to just accept that many people are just trolling liars, windup merchants, it's comical at this stage, just look at those who still claim that eating food makes 100% absolutely no difference with regards to alcohol consumption and its psychoactive effects, claiming to see zero sense in it. Cringeworthy stuff. Best let them make fools of themselves, they unwittingly let you know who to ignore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

As has been pointed out to you a hundred times other countries don’t have pubs like we do. The only similar environment on the continent would be nightclubs and they are all shut.

How are we special in that regard, I’m confused?
    I’ve been to pubs in roughly 11 other European countries and found the pub scene to be much the same as here, so I don’t know what you’re talking about.
    Many of those countries allow premises to open much later than 2am and are far more relaxed in regards to opening hours.
    What’s so different about Irish pubs?

This narrative that pubs here are like some sort of uncontrollable lawless Wild West compared to our civilised, reserved European counterparts is not remotely reflective of reality.
    The nightlife is much the same, if not a bit tamer here compared to other places in Europe. The UK for one has almost exactly the same pub culture we do.

The virus is the same, the doctors and nurses just got better at treating it.

Anyone who thinks it’s every year that doctors are treating patients in the back of ambulances outside hospitals due to full A&Es is in complete denial.

Just last year we had lots of people in hospitals with flu.

There was an appeal on the radio not to go unless you really had to.

Busy hospitals is nothing new. Last time I went to A+E I waited 17 hours.

rusty cole wrote: »
    On prime time over one third of germans wont be taking a vaccine..so thats their biggest issue, vaccine scepticism is on the rise so wuestions to be asked there.

Not sure what the vaccine got to do with the 800 deaths .

Also alot of ye said not to believe a word on prine time as its scaremongering.

Which is it this time?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

I would love to know if the HSE have the capabilities to do any retrospective testing on patients from last winter. I specifically remember all elective surgeries being cancelled around this time last year due to outbreaks, the whole community sick with a very bad ‘flu’, children getting diagnosed with RSV. It was noticeably much worse than other years. Would make you wonder.

Restrictions?

Not too sure the virus is weakening yet. Germany, Croatia, czech and other countries have higher deaths.

• Advertisement

Summer 2019 I was in A&E for about 17 hours on sat. Main reason for waiting time was a result of people out Friday night.

Now you should also not go to A&E if you have the flu, local doctor can handle the flu

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement