Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part VII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,365 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Boggles wrote: »
    You might have been, I certainly wasn't.

:rolleyes: Spot the lad whose job or business wasn't affected by the response to Covid.

I'm all right Jack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,528 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

:rolleyes: Spot the lad whose job or business wasn't affected by the response to Covid.

I'm all right Jack.

Because I pointed out the reality that there was no lockdown for much of the summer?

Cool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,644 ✭✭✭Penfailed

It's not a few restrictions, it's entire sectors of the economy, hundred's of thousands of jobs and billions of euro stifled. Don't undersell it.

You can sell it any which way you choose. It doesn't change the fact that we weren't locked down over the summer.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Pixies, Ride, Therapy?, Public Service Broadcasting, IDLES(x2), And So I Watch You From Afar

I'm all right Jack.

...still not a lockdown.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Pixies, Ride, Therapy?, Public Service Broadcasting, IDLES(x2), And So I Watch You From Afar

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 547 ✭✭✭BeefeaterHat

Penfailed wrote: »
    ...still not a lockdown.

Who decides what makes it a lockdown?

• Advertisement

In this case, me. You may think some restrictions are a lockdown. I don't. I decided.

In this case, me. You may think some restrictions are a lockdown. I don't. I decided.

Well if it's a matter of personal opinion then neither you or me can state for a fact that it was a lockdown. I merely pointed out that massive sectors of the economy we're and still are shut down or at the very least hindered by restrictions, which in my mind is as good as a lockdown

Well if it's a matter of personal opinion then neither you or me can state for a fact that it was a lockdown. I merely pointed out that massive sectors of the economy we're and still are shut down or at the very least hindered by restrictions, which in my mind is as good as a lockdown

So...not a lockdown then? Glad we've cleared that up.

To me, a full lockdown is what we had in March/April. Level five is pretty close to a lockdown. Level four is severe restrictions and so on...

So...not a lockdown then? Glad we've cleared that up.

To me, a full lockdown is what we had in March/April. Level five is pretty close to a lockdown. Level four is severe restrictions and so on...

It was a lockdown. Massive sectors of the economy were shut down. What are you missing here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

That's not a lockdown. That's having a few restrictions.

A few restrictions? I often wonder are some people genuinely delighted with this **** show and what sort of sad lives they had before their beloved new normal started.

• Advertisement

It was a lockdown. Massive sectors of the economy were shut down. What are you missing here?

Some of the economy was shut down. People weren't locked down. There's a big distinction between the two. What are you missing here?

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Rrrrrr2

Boggles wrote: »
    You might have been, I certainly wasn't.

But if you wanted to do any of those things you were not able to or severely restricted- that’s a lockdown for those effected. This is the kind of pedantic nonsense we are faced with sadly- people living in their own little alternate realities and self absorbed planets

A few restrictions? I often wonder are some people genuinely delighted with this **** show and what sort of sad lives they had before their beloved new normal started.

Of course they are- you can sense the joy in their endless dismissals

Not delighted at all. It severely impacted my usual outlets. No gigs, no festivals, no pubs open to play with my band in, etc., etc. The point is, we had a few restrictions (some would say severe) over the summer...but a lockdown, it was not.

There is a cohort of people who only believe having the front doors of their homes welded shut is a lockdown.

Great social studies to be done after this

Doubt freedom will return fully tbh

Nor would these dystopian lunatics ever want that- these people are puritanical in approach and if they can foist their beliefs and values on others then all the better- that’s clear as day with pubs/alcohol

Some of the economy was shut down. People weren't locked down. There's a big distinction between the two. What are you missing here?

Some of the economy=20% of the workforce. Hospitality, tourism, transport and aviation have all been put to the sword, each employing tens of thousands of people and even more indirectly. I don't know why you're trying to downplay it because it goes against all reason

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

Damn. What has happened to this thread :(

Basically Penfailed and Boggles trying to convince us there was barely any lockdown in Ireland... clearly forgetting the part where we have a business sector that has been shut down for 9 months straight, thousands of people couldnt access cancer treatment or screening, 20% + unemployment for over 4 months of this year to name a few "restrictions"... :rolleyes:

Some of the economy=20% of the workforce. Hospitality, tourism, transport and aviation have all been put to the sword, each employing tens of thousands of people and even more indirectly. I don't know why you're trying to downplay it because it goes against all reason

I'm not trying to downplay it. I'm pointing out that you don't appear to be able to make the distinction between sections of the economy being shutdown and the nation being in lockdown. They are completely different things.

Basically Penfailed and Boggles trying to convince us there was barely any lockdown in Ireland... clearly forgetting the part where we have a business sector that has been shut down for 9 months straight, thousands of people couldnt access cancer treatment or screening, 20% + unemployment for over 4 months of this year to name a few "restrictions"... :rolleyes:

All hail the return of G'n'L to save everyone else from Boggles and I :rolleyes:

The constant goalpost moving between what's a lockdown or not is like some bizarre version of the no true Scotsman fallacy with those two.

• Advertisement

The constant goalpost moving between what's a lockdown or not is like some bizarre version of the no true Scotsman fallacy with those two.

Who's moving goalposts?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,841 ✭✭✭buried

I'm not trying to downplay it. I'm pointing out that you don't appear to be able to make the distinction between sections of the economy being shutdown and the nation being in lockdown. They are completely different things.

Parts of the nation were completely shutdown over the summer though, Kildare was shut down over August with nobody allowed to leave the county, Same for Offaly and Laois. If you were lucky enough to be still working and got your annual summer holidays in any of those counties then your summer holiday was in a lockdown basically confined to your own gaff.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

If “I’m alright Jack”= not a lockdown

Again if it doesn’t effect them it’s not a lockdown. Let them eat cake etc

Rrrrrr2 wrote: »
    If “I’m alright Jack”= not a lockdown

When's a lockdown not a lockdown? When it's obvious. There are levels of restrictions. The higher the level, the closer to lockdown. We haven't been in a full lockdown since March/April. That's my final word on that one. Until the next time...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

All hail the return of G'n'L to save everyone else from Boggles and I :rolleyes:

Thats your come back?

Quality has decreased dramatically :(

You should have at least corrected me, like you always correct others when they post "lockdown" and you say "few restrictions"... Ireland has had 20% + unemployment for 6 months this year, not 4 months. My mistake.

I know Pen, "few restrictions".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

The second wave in those countries who largely avoided the first wave, countries in central and eastern Europe and a few in the south such as Greece and Portugal, could end up worse than the first wave which was predominately western europe. Proximity or nearness to the centre of europe also appears to play a part. The further you are from the centre of europe the better. We're relatively lucky to be on the periphery of Europe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

I'm starting to think we will go into lockdown or whatever you want to call it after Stephens day

Oxford dictionary definition of lockdown

A state of isolation or restricted access instituted as a security measure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,860 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Hard to believe were living in an Ireland in where you have to get 'tickets' to go too Christmas mass :confused:

https://www.eventbrite.ie/e/midnight-christmas-eve-mass-tickets-131783318453

• Advertisement

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Hard to believe were living in an Ireland in where you have to get 'tickets' to go too Christmas mass :confused:

https://www.eventbrite.ie/e/midnight-christmas-eve-mass-tickets-131783318453

Hard to believe people still don't seem to realise that large gatherings should be restricted.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement