Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part VII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,862 ✭✭✭hynesie08

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Hard to believe were living in an Ireland in where you have to get 'tickets' to go too Christmas mass :confused:

https://www.eventbrite.ie/e/midnight-christmas-eve-mass-tickets-131783318453

Why are you confused? Theres a global pandemic haven't you heard?

For years now people have been turned away from midnight mass for capacity issues, it's just more of them now.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭showpony1

There was a wildness in Tony Holohan's eyes at his latest press conference...I think he's going to make a power play at the end of this week to cancel Christmas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,860 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

showpony1 wrote: »
    There was a wildness in Tony Holohan's eyes at his latest press conference...I think he's going to make a power play at the end of this week to cancel Christmas.

I wonder when were getting a tell all movie about NPHET

Gerard McSorley playing Dr Tony

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

showpony1 wrote: »

I would say that is exhaustion,to be fair .
    A wife in palliative care for cancer .
    Children to be looked after and Christmas coming up.
    Not to mention worrying about taking responsibility for a possible sxxxshow of a Christmas holiday welcoming up with rising cases and cabinet Minister for Health and an ineffectual Taoiseach whocertainly won't be taking any of the geat if everything goes pear shaped.
    Look at what's happening in NI and they are passing the blame from one to the other ,while doctors and nurses are stressed out trying to look after patients outside inthecarpark in ambulances !
    I'd say he'd love to pass on that "powerplay " .

Goldengirl wrote: »
    Not to mention worrying about taking responsibility for a possible sxxxshow of a Christmas holiday welcoming up with rising cases and cabinet Minister for Health and an ineffectual Taoiseach whocertainly won't be taking any of the geat if everything goes pear shaped.
    Look at what's happening in NI and they are passing the blame from one to the other ,while doctors and nurses are stressed out trying to look after patients outside inthecarpark in ambulances !

With all due respect Tony Holohan was on compassionate leave to be with his sick wife . Nobody put a gun to his head to come back. In my opinion he should still be on leave with his kids and family!
    We have a Deputy CMO, Dr Ronan Glynn who would hardly be Deputy if he wasn’t capable of doing the same job . If Tony Holohan is exhausted he needs to step back now . There is definitely an element of “power playing “ with him which has been evident since he returned in August and slammed the country into Level 5 overnight !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭joseywhales

What do you think he gets from this "power playing" , what is in it for him?

Don't you think it's likely he endures all of this and came back rdespite I am sure having access to any eye watering salary in private sector because he is driven by a sense of duty?

You might say his sense of duty is misplaced but it seems like a likely reason given that he doesn't need the money, gets enormous criticism and pressure and has to suffer grief?

I think it's courageous to be the one that everyone hates.

Goldengirl wrote: »

Lol.
    He CHOSE to come back early from leave so he can’t really complain about exhaustion...
    I’m pretty sure appearing on the late late is not in his job description either.

I think ego and arrogance have more to do with his return.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,644 ✭✭✭Penfailed

There is definitely an element of “power playing “ with him which has been evident since he returned in August and slammed the country into Level 5 overnight !

Didn't happen. The government made the decision to move to level five.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Pixies, Ride, Therapy?, Public Service Broadcasting, IDLES(x2), And So I Watch You From Afar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

Penfailed wrote: »
    Didn't happen. The government made the decision to move to level five.

Based on the advice given by Tony holohan, same thing!

According to many, Tony doesn’t make decisions, he just offers advice. He also has no responsibility over hospitals, nursing homes or the vaccine rollout.

And the only advice he gives is to lockdown or extend lockdown.

Sounds like a nice job!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭Coybig_

With all due respect Tony Holohan was on compassionate leave to be with his sick wife . Nobody put a gun to his head to come back. In my opinion he should still be on leave with his kids and family!
    We have a Deputy CMO, Dr Ronan Glynn who would hardly be Deputy if he wasn’t capable of doing the same job . If Tony Holohan is exhausted he needs to step back now . There is definitely an element of “power playing “ with him which has been evident since he returned in August and slammed the country into Level 5 overnight !

Exhausted?

Maybe if he cut out the visits to the Late Late Show to have his ego stroked he might have time for a nap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,528 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

The family and extended family have been living with the illness for the best part of a decade, I imagine they are suitably more qualified to be making decisions on what they should or shouldn't be doing.

Also compassionate leave isn't even a requirement let alone infinite, you have no idea what his professional obligations are or were.

Pretty low to be using the unfortunate circumstance the family are in to score points against him.

Poor form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,465 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Dr Martin Feeley questioning the viability of giving young kids the vaccine

Reckons the vaccine will pose more threat for them than Covid

He’s going to disappear mysteriously some day I reckon, he’s not playing ball

Dr Martin Feeley questioning the viability of giving young kids the vaccine

Reckons the vaccine will pose more threat for them than Covid

He’s going to disappear mysteriously some day I reckon, he’s not playing ball

Jesus talk about having his finger on the pulse.

So he picked the last cohert on the list, number 15 and he decided to be contrary about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2020/1217/1184895-esri-economic-forecast/

Economy will end up growing 3.4% this year, exceeding expectations.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭mikekerry

froog wrote: »
    https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2020/1217/1184895-esri-economic-forecast/

Economy will end up growing 3.4% this year, exceeding expectations.

that all sounds great and all but this is the bigger stat
    "The ESRI believes unemployment will end this year at 20%. Even with a post-Brexit trade deal, it will average 14.5% next year."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,644 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Based on the advice given by Tony holohan, same thing!

No it's not. The government took his advice on board and then they made the call.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Pixies, Ride, Therapy?, Public Service Broadcasting, IDLES(x2), And So I Watch You From Afar

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Rrrrrr2

Penfailed wrote: »
    No it's not. The government took his advice on board and then they made the call.

Yea- all the while this person is on twitter and Rte 24/7 undermining any decision they may make if it’s not his. An utter disgrace- mark my words, Nphet Holohan and government is heading towards a major bust up thanks to their carry on and Holohans considerable ego and shenanigans

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭brisan

Mandatory vaccinations would mean needing a vaccine passport to buy a ticket to a match or a concert, for example. Telling me I can't fly from Ireland into another EU country without it would be mandatory. I do not think mandatory vaccinations will happen, on the understanding that these measures about to mandatory vaccines.

It depends on the country. But, for example, a lot of African countries would hardly be implementing a mass vaccination programme so they won't have a passport available. We aren't going to restrict them because of this. Similarly, they won't restrict us.

How are they mandatory if you can say no I don’t want the vaccine
    You will have a freedom of choice in the matter
    The same freedom of choice that businesses and countries will have in deciding who will have access to their services

Lol.
    He CHOSE to come back early from leave so he can’t really complain about exhaustion...
    I’m pretty sure appearing on the late late is not in his job description either.

I think ego and arrogance have more to do with his return.

Exhausted doing what exactly? He reads a few figures, tells us how worrying it all is and offers the same useless “advice” since March with some changes (masks made no difference back then, they’re the holy grail now).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Very strange to see some people happy to have the government tell them what to do down to how they should eat their Christmas Dinner, dont pass the gravy boat now. Happy to be asked for their papers. Unbelievable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭Tork

Rrrrrr2 wrote: »
    Exhausted doing what exactly? He reads a few figures, tells us how worrying it all is and offers the same useless “advice” since March with some changes (masks made no difference back then, they’re the holy grail now).

Maybe he does a lot of work behind the scenes that we don't see? (i.e. his job?)

Another useless lockdown in January is going to be very hard to implement now at a micro level- people have tasted freedom, they’ve grabbed and embraced it big time- everywhere I go is very busy (which is fantastic)- if they were in anyway scared this would not be the case. I foresee trouble ahead with it. The soft support that facilitated all the equally useless previous ones is long gone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,153 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

bush wrote: »
    Very strange to see some people happy to have the government tell them what to do down to how they should eat their Christmas Dinner, dont pass the gravy boat now. Happy to be asked for their papers. Unbelievable.

Must people I know would be doing just that anyway and being careful and not passing the gravy etc . Most people are sensible and caring so I have no problem whatsoever on being reminded on what to do .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,557 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

What do you think he gets from this "power playing" , what is in it for him?

Don't you think it's likely he endures all of this and came back rdespite I am sure having access to any eye watering salary in private sector because he is driven by a sense of duty?

You might say his sense of duty is misplaced but it seems like a likely reason given that he doesn't need the money, gets enormous criticism and pressure and has to suffer grief?

I think it's courageous to be the one that everyone hates.

I remember when he came back he said he loves his job and couldn't wait to get back in front of the nation.

Massive ego.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭brisan

I've no inclination to get the flu vaccine but I have gotten vaccines against more harmful illnesses. Am I holding anti-vaxx beliefs?

Why did you get those vaccinations?
    Was it because you needed them to visit certain countries ?
    Was it because you were a child and had no say in the matter ?
    You have the right to choose which vaccinations if any you decide to get
    No if you have voluntarily got a vaccine you are not an anti Vaxxer
    My point still stands though that governments and businesses have the right to choose who can access their services once it’s within the law

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭crossman47

Rrrrrr2 wrote: »
    Another useless lockdown in January is going to be very hard to implement now at a micro level- people have tasted freedom, they’ve grabbed and embraced it big time- everywhere I go is very busy (which is fantastic)- if they were in anyway scared this would not be the case. I foresee trouble ahead with it. The soft support that facilitated all the equally useless previous ones is long gone

I see trouble ahead too - like the North are encountering. I just can't understand these attacks on Holohan. Hes a professional doing the job he is paid to do. I admire him for not tailoring his advice to what the government want. Politicians would hang him out to dry if his advice was accepted and led to bad outcomes.

I remember when he came back he said he loves his job and couldn't wait to get back in front of the nation.

Link?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

:(

Almost quarter of a million Irish people still jobless by end of 2021, says ESRI
    Vaccine rollout, combined with households splurging billions in unspent cash saved during the pandemic, will help economic fightback but will not be enough to stave off 10% unemployment by the end of 2021, ESRI predicts

https://www.irishexaminer.com/business/economy/arid-40192014.html

Pretty horrifying news. This assumes Ireland becomes a modern nation and rolls out vaccine with no issues. We couldnt even roll out flu vaccine this winter....

• Advertisement

crossman47 wrote: »

I see trouble ahead too - like the North are encountering. I just can't understand these attacks on Holohan. Hes a professional doing the job he is paid to do. I admire him for not tailoring his advice to what the government want. Politicians would hang him out to dry if his advice was accepted and led to bad outcomes.

I’m delighted for you. I don’t drink from the Tony fountain of Covid coolade though.
    Maybe then you and others who feel this way should be doing your own lockdowns ala March time- I mean, if you’re so worried about the north etc then that’s exactly what you should be doing

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement