Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part VII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,644 ✭✭✭Penfailed

bush wrote: »
    Very strange to see some people happy to have the government tell them what to do down to how they should eat their Christmas Dinner, dont pass the gravy boat now. Happy to be asked for their papers. Unbelievable.

Who's happy about it? I've only heard about the gravy boat thing from reading posts in here. You should all do yourselves a favour and avoid RTE Covid briefings and the press that tries to pass for journalism here. It's much better for your mental health.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Pixies, Ride, Therapy?, Public Service Broadcasting, IDLES(x2), And So I Watch You From Afar

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Rrrrrr2

Longing wrote: »
    You remind me of Micheal Martin yesterday. We didn't Bail out the Banks. In denial for you own self interest.

We know young people are not effected in the same way has older generation but young people without symptoms can be carriers and spread the virus to our vulnerable population. Your comment is pure selflessness like others on here no care for your fellow neighbor. But you are like many in our society today.

Cool delighted to hear I’m like many in society- hopefully a growing number of us that are done with this utter hysterical nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Rrrrrr2

Penfailed wrote: »
    Who's happy about it? I've only heard about the gravy boat thing from reading posts in here. You should all do yourselves a favour and avoid RTE Covid briefings and the press that tries to pass for journalism here. It's much better for your mental health.

I do avoid RTE Covid briefings- who in their right mind would be still watching this drivel at this stage?
    Are these people getting paid for their “work”? As a simple yes/no will suffice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

Are people angry with Tony because he is:

Consistent
    Transparent
    Honest
    Assertive
    Incorruptible

Would we prefer a CMO that would bend to our will?

Incorruptible!!! He’s ****ing Batman now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,881 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

The trajectory is all too clear now in numbers with the positivity rate increasing. We are heading in to unrestrained growth in transmission if we aren't there already.

Action is needed in the next few days.

Hopefully NPHET impress on the government the urgency of the situation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,465 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

The trajectory is all too clear now in numbers with the positivity rate increasing. We are heading in to unrestrained growth in transmission if we aren't there already.

It’s a deeply concerning situation.

Mad to think it was only mildly concerning this time last week.

If it keeps going the way it is we have no choice only to become gravely concerned

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 547 ✭✭✭BeefeaterHat

What action is needed in your opinion? Are we going to kill off restaurants and retailers in the middle of their busiest season after being shut for a big chunk of the year? When will they open again? Especially considering the last lockdown was a flop. How many do you think will survive that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Are people angry with Tony because he is:

Consistent
    Transparent
    Honest
    Assertive
    Incorruptible

Would we prefer a CMO that would bend to our will?

I think it's more the amount of people that die under his watch. This isn't his first rodeo.

Incorruptible!!! He’s ****ing Batman now!

Well earlier in the year someone with too much time on their hands painted a mural of Holohan as Superman. If you haven't seen it it's as vomit inducing as it sounds.

What action is needed in your opinion? Are we going to kill off restaurants and retailers in the middle of their busiest season after being shut for a big chunk of the year? When will they open again? Especially considering the last lockdown was a flop. How many do you think will survive that?

They relaxed measures too much. We have left ourselves the most vulnerable in Europe despite warnings of how super fast the disease spreads unrestrained.

If they maintained most of the previous restrictions there would be no need for harsher restrictions by the end of the year.

They took their eye off the ball.

Some businesses won't survive in any case. Providing certainty would have been helpful to those that will. Now the only certainty they have is January is gone.

• Advertisement

They relaxed measures too much. We have left ourselves the most vulnerable in Europe despite warnings of how super fast the disease spreads unrestrained.

If they maintained most of the previous restrictions there would be no need for harsher restrictions by the end of the year.

So lockdown to avoid lockdown. Makes sense.

So lockdown to avoid lockdown. Makes sense.

Again you misunderstand. Tougher measures than previously are coming because the government did not maintain sufficient measures to keep transmission stable.

They could have kept to that level.

Again you misunderstand. Tougher measures than previously are coming because the government did not maintain sufficient measures to keep transmission stable.

They could have kept to that level.

How can measures get tougher than level 5 bar closing schools again which would be catastrophic

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭VonLuck

The obsession with Tony Holohan on this thread is truly bizarre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,365 ✭✭✭facehugger99

The next 2 weeks are critical.

Some businesses won't survive in any case. Providing certainty would have been helpful to those that will. Now the only certainty they have is January is gone.

Lockdown to avoid lockdown is what you are describing...

And lockdown provides absolutely no certainty to any business.

And it is also not even working anymore as public support is decreasing everyday.

Worth mentioning, it was highlighted earlier that retail, restaurants and pubs are not leading to cases.

So closing them again won’t have much impact.

Lockdown to avoid lockdown is what you are describing...

And lockdown provides absolutely no certainty to any business.

And it is also not even working anymore as public support is decreasing everyday.

If the latter is true then that is personal responsibility and that section of the public are responsible ultimately for decisions that come down the line.

Of course, it isn't true. Most people are sensible, keep within the guidelines and follow advice.

Lesser lockdown to avoid tougher lockdown. That choice has passed though.

I am speaking as parent who lost a young child to cancer. I gave up my job at that stage. My place was with the person I loved, it wasn't even something |I had to consider. So I wasn't being "pretty low" when making my comment, I was making it from experience.
    I was not on a big salary at that time, I had no protection of a well paid job to go back to after the long road of cancer in a child, unlike Tony Holohan who more than likely has. Maybe his way of coping is through work, but you would have to wonder if that's the best thing for this country, dealing with lockdown after lockdown, even when numbers weren't bad.
    My original point was that there is an element of ego with Tony Holohan. I stand by that. Nobody put a gun to his head to be at the helm of NPHET right now particularly due to his circumstances.
    '

wow, that's telling somebody the hard way, good for you, I mean getting through all that..tough stuff maggie...you're better than most I know that's for sure.

Worth mentioning, it was highlighted earlier that retail, restaurants and pubs are not leading to cases.

So closing them again won’t have much impact.

I think it's more a measure meant to punish us for being naughty buachaillí and cailliní than having any logic behind it. If someone doesn't catch covid spending 50 minutes in a packed Tesco or dunnes how can I catch it spending 10 minutes in a bookshop?

• Advertisement

If the latter is true then that is personal responsibility and that section of the public are responsible ultimately for decisions that come down the line.

Of course, it isn't true. Most people are sensible, keep within the guidelines and follow advice.

Lesser lockdown to avoid tougher lockdown. That choice has passed though.

I don't recall ever having a lesser lockdown on the table. Both in the summer and at the start of the month the government and NPHET very begrudgingly opened things up. I'm not at all convinced they'll ever want anything other than level 5 for as long as they can get away with.

I think it's more a measure meant to punish us for being naughty buachaillí and cailliní than having any logic behind it. If someone doesn't catch covid spending 50 minutes in a packed Tesco or dunnes how can I catch it spending 10 minutes in a bookshop?

and I'm sure the mouthpiece of a busted Govt will be there to push it, mmmmmmmm wonder why???

https://www.newstalk.com/news/government-announces-e50-million-extra-funding-rte-five-years-936110

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,907 ✭✭✭acequion

You'd want to calm yourself down. Such levels of hysteria can't be good for the heart. I hope you enjoy your Christmas in your bunker. Make sure you seal it tight now.

But can I ask you something? If to quote the emboldened above, the disease spreads super fast, how come I go out to a large school every single day Mon-Fri, am indoors with crowds every single day, am in a classroom with up to 7 different groups of about 25 teenagers every single day. Now granted, with masks and sanitation, but that's basically it. Distancing in such an environment is well nigh impossible. So if the disease is that virulent, if we're the most vulnerable in Europe [despite having one of the lowest numbers],how come neither myself nor any of my collegues have caught it? A few kids have in out of school settings but it was quickly contained. No cluster, no outbreak.

I'm no Covid denier but I really think your brand of hysteria and hyperbole does more harm than good.

acequion wrote: »

I'm no Covid denier but

"I'm not a racist but..."

Aside from that a teacher not understanding a concept such as cause and effect?

Thank's, I'll pass.

If you want posters to engage with you probably best not to insult them. A policy one would hope you take in to the class room as well.

Well earlier in the year someone with too much time on their hands painted a mural of Holohan as Superman. If you haven't seen it it's as vomit inducing as it sounds.

you better get your sick bag so Beef!!
    I take it the HSE listen to that station only :D

https://twitter.com/IanDempsey/status/1339489982273208321

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,859 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

rusty cole wrote: »

The vomit coming having too deal with this and the superman painting is worse than any covid

rusty cole wrote: »

To be fair some of the comments are calling it nonsense but there's plenty more 'id like to see you do better' kissarses defending a man on €180k a year.

"I'm not a racist but..."

Aside from that a teacher not understanding a concept such as cause and effect?

Thank's, I'll pass.

If you want posters to engage with you probably best not to insult them. A policy one would hope you take in to the class room as well.

You're seriously comparing someone disagreeing about covid to being racist? That's a new low of nonsense even for you.

The situation is so dire in the North they need free state ambulances. According to some here we are somehow different from the rest of Europe.

https://twitter.com/vincekearney/status/1339614652834193422

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,528 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

I am speaking as parent who lost a young child to cancer. I gave up my job at that stage. My place was with the person I loved, it wasn't even something |I had to consider. So I wasn't being "pretty low" when making my comment, I was making it from experience.
    I was not on a big salary at that time, I had no protection of a well paid job to go back to after the long road of cancer in a child, unlike Tony Holohan who more than likely has. Maybe his way of coping is through work, but you would have to wonder if that's the best thing for this country, dealing with lockdown after lockdown, even when numbers weren't bad.
    My original point was that there is an element of ego with Tony Holohan. I stand by that. Nobody put a gun to his head to be at the helm of NPHET right now particularly due to his circumstances.

I'm sorry for your loss.

But I'm afraid that does not give you the right to pass judgement on how the CMO or his family handle their tough time.

And TBH you continue to go low, you are implying he is putting his ego before family, that is simply BS. A manifestation in your head because you are blaming him for the negative aspects of a once in a generation pandemic.

Now if you have evidence that anything is effecting his role as CMO, by all means post it up.

But we both know you don't, so I think we should leave it there.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement