Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part VII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

The situation is so dire in the North they need free state ambulances. According to some here we are somehow different from the rest of Europe.

https://twitter.com/vincekearney/status/1339614652834193422

Could you actually link something of value other than a tweet?

2020 strikes again.

Oh look at that tweet - north are fkced arent they

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,881 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Could you actually link something of value other than a tweet?

2020 strikes again.

Oh look at that tweet - north are fkced arent they

:rolleyes:

The tweet is from a journalist.

Couldn't you do your own research?:rolleyes:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.independent.ie/world-news/coronavirus/huge-queues-of-ambulances-at-northern-ireland-hospitals-only-the-beginning-39869599.html

No. Actually. this is fear mongering.

"Huge queues of ambulances at Northern Ireland hospitals 'only the beginning'
    Doctors treating patients in car parks - and even worse is on the way, warns QUB expert"

Huge queues?

Even worse is on the way?

Kermit do you ever get tired of posting this rubbish?

reading your posts one would get a thought that 10% of worlds population has already been wiped out by this 99.8% survival rate disease.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,907 ✭✭✭acequion

"I'm not a racist but..."

Aside from that a teacher not understanding a concept such as cause and effect?

Thank's, I'll pass.

If you want posters to engage with you probably best not to insult them. A policy one would hope you take in to the class room as well.

Is that the best you can do? Pass snide digs at how I do my job, which I do very well by the way because my principle are simple: Never lord it over others, never finger wag and never calamitise unless you have very good reason to. You might consider those principles some time.

And as for the childish and sulky, "I'm not a racist but" I won't even dignify that. And considering yourself insulted because you were taken to task for your hysteria and hyperbole. Just what do you expect? You shouldn't post on boards.ie if you're such a sensitive soul. Granted I was a bit sarcastic but I've seen way worse here.

But I'll give you one last chance :D If the virus is as virulent as you claim how come schools overall have done so well when they are such overcrowded indoor environments? Genuine question! And some waffle about cause and effect isn't answering that question. And can you please back up your claim that we are the most vulnerable to the virus in Europe despite our numbers being among the lowest?

No. Actually. this is fear mongering.

"Huge queues of ambulances at Northern Ireland hospitals 'only the beginning'
    Doctors treating patients in car parks - and even worse is on the way, warns QUB expert"

Huge queues?

Even worse is on the way?

Kermit do you ever get tired of posting this rubbish?

reading your posts one would get a thought that 10% of worlds population has already been wiped out by this 99.8% survival rate disease.

Ah yes, all fear mongering. Any day now you'll provide stats to back up your arguments I'm sure. So go ahead.

You don't call for such assistance from another country unless you need it.

• Advertisement

acequion wrote: »
    And considering yourself insulted because you were taken to task for your hysteria and hyperbole.

Quote the 'hysteria and hyperbole" please.

You see what you want to see.

Brackens Bakery and Café on Paul Street, Cork is to close after more than two decades in business as a result of Covid-19 restrictions.

Announcing their closure in a Facebook post, the family-run bakery said social distancing requirements and many months of forced closure made keeping the Paul Street café open “impossible.”

https://www.irishexaminer.com/business/companies/arid-40192287.html

You know whats the saddest thing? Is that there are people out there who actually think that everything is fine, that there are some people who complain about restrictions and they need to "let their steam out" say even on this thread, and that things arent that bad. Things are grand.

Shure whats 20% + nationwide unemployment if you have a job?

0 thought as to consequences of all of this. "lets just get our head down and follow restrictions" "lockdowns work!" :rolleyes:

The only thing lockdowns are efficient at is making poor people a hell of a lot poorer. Lockdown is basically burning down your house to get rid of a rat problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

Go easy on Kermit. He's a little sore because he was kicked off the main Covid thread for a week.

Thoughts and prayers

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Rrrrrr2

Brackens Bakery and Café on Paul Street, Cork is to close after more than two decades in business as a result of Covid-19 restrictions.

Announcing their closure in a Facebook post, the family-run bakery said social distancing requirements and many months of forced closure made keeping the Paul Street café open “impossible.”

You know whats the saddest thing? Is that there are people out there who actually think that everything is fine, that there are some people who complain about restrictions and they need to "let their steam out" say even on this thread, and that things arent that bad. Things are grand.

0 thought as to consequences of all of this. "lets just get our head down and follow restrictions" "lockdowns work!" :rolleyes:

The only thing lockdowns are efficient at is making poor people a hell of a lot poorer. Lockdown is basically burning down your house to get rid of a rat problem.

We haven’t seen the half if it. The closures coming in the new year will make 2009 look like a minor blip. And I ain’t talking about the next Tony one either

You are trying to attach an emotional argument to a practical problem that is not going away regardless of whether some businesses need to close.

Is it sad? Of course, no one wants to see businesses go to the wall. Claiming people don't care is simply wrong.

It does not change the nature of the problem.

• Advertisement

The trajectory is all too clear now in numbers with the positivity rate increasing. We are heading in to unrestrained growth in transmission if we aren't there already.

Action is needed in the next few days.

Hopefully NPHET impress on the government the urgency of the situation.

"We have left ourselves the most vulnerable in Europe despite warnings of how super fast the disease spreads unrestrained."

You asked me to quote examples of your hysteria and hyperbole.

The first is your hysteria, the second your hyberbole.

But I've twice asked you a genuine and valid question. In addition to asking for evidence for your claims. Zero attempt by you to engage. Clearly your aim is hysteria and hyperbole, not substance. So I've better things to be doing than talking to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

I think it's more the amount of people that die under his watch. This isn't his first rodeo.

But it's not his fault. That's someone else's job.
    His only job is to indicate how high his worry is on his worry'o'meter

Boggles wrote: »
    I'm sorry for your loss.

But I'm afraid that does not give you the right to pass judgement on how the CMO or his family handle their tough time.

And TBH you continue to go low, you are implying he is putting his ego before family, that is simply BS. A manifestation in your head because you are blaming him for the negative aspects of a once in a generation pandemic.

Now if you have evidence that anything is effecting his role as CMO, by all means post it up.

But we both know you don't, so I think we should leave it there.

I'm sorry but I completely disagree with you and feel that Sweetmaggie makes a far better argument.

The CMO is a very public figure and makes himself more public than he needs to. Appearances on The Late, Late, constant tweets, the daily public reports etc. Also, he himself revealed his personal situation to the public. So it's not a secret, nor is t gossip. He occupies a very responsible, highly paid public position so to imply that he is above criticism or that it is "low" of people to criticise him and question his suitability for the role given his personal circumstances, is a bit ridiculous imo. And very defensive. If you were close to the man I could understand your reaction but if, like most of the public, you only know him as the CMO, then I find your defensiveness and protectiveness a bit bizarre.

Also I don't see Sweetmaggie implying that he is putting his ego before his family, but she is clearly saying that she thinks he has a very big ego. And I very much agree. If you disagree, that's fine. But I really do think it's very justifiable to question his suitability for such an important role as his advice has huge repercussions for the entire country.

"We have left ourselves the most vulnerable in Europe despite warnings of how super fast the disease spreads unrestrained."

You asked me to quote examples of your hysteria and hyperbole.

The first is your hysteria, the second your hyberbole.

But I've twice asked you a genuine and valid question. In addition to asking for evidence for your claims. Zero attempt by you to engage. Clearly your aim is hysteria and hyperbole, not substance. So I've better things to be doing than talking to you.

Well, firstly you are not talking to me, typing perhaps...

Secondly you have not specified the "evidence" you seek. Rather you have been as unspecific as possible.

Thirdly, I am 100% correct. We are the only country in the EU that has loosened restrictions in the run up to Christmas. Other countries like Germany, France and Italy are tightening or have already tightened restrictions. They are not taking the gamble we have taken.

You only have to look 60 miles up the road to know what way this is highly likely to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,528 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

The CMO is a very public figure

So you think speculating about his family and family circumstances is fair game?

It isn't, no reasonable decent individual would think that would be okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭lukas8888

Boggles wrote: »
    I'm sorry for your loss.

But I'm afraid that does not give you the right to pass judgement on how the CMO or his family handle their tough time.

And TBH you continue to go low, you are implying he is putting his ego before family, that is simply BS. A manifestation in your head because you are blaming him for the negative aspects of a once in a generation pandemic.

Now if you have evidence that anything is effecting his role as CMO, by all means post it up.

But we both know you don't, so I think we should leave it there.

That's your take on it,but i think many people would consider his return to work a little hasty.I will also leave it there.

This thread has gone full loon.

Attack someone’s performance all you want but going after someone on a personal level highlights the depravity that this thread has descended into

MM saying Hospitality closed after Christmas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭showpony1

Tony kind of reminds me of Thanos from Avengers trying to destroy Ireland.

Beyond a joke at this stage. No cases linked to retail, pubs or restaurants... close them down anyways...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,472 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Beyond a joke at this stage. No cases linked to retail, pubs or restaurants... close them down anyways...

Was the plan even before they opened.

Seems fair.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,081 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

This thread has gone full loon.

Attack someone’s performance all you want but going after someone on a personal level highlights the depravity that this thread has descended into

Its done this for a while tbf.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭sp00k

MM saying Hospitality closed after Christmas

Meaning before New year or the planned 6th January?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,263 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

So every time we open the pubs, restaurants, and shops cases go up, but in your opinion that has nothing to do with them being open. Are you serious? Where do you think people are getting infected? Sitting at home on the couch? Come on.

sp00k wrote: »
    Meaning before New year or the planned 6th January?

Before new year

MadYaker wrote: »
    So every time we open the pubs, restaurants, and shops cases go up, but in your opinion that has nothing to do with them being open. Are you serious? Where do you think people are getting infected? Sitting at home on the couch? Come on.

We also tested much more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,081 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

We also tested much more.

And why was that do you think?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Absolute jokers of leadership

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 114 ✭✭RonaVirus

If Christmas wasn't a factor we'd probably still be in level 5 and be in it for the foreseeable future. Dr Doom is hell bent on asserting his authority.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Parabellum9

Close the schools for 2-3 weeks and check the case drop then, until you do that go and swing off my left bollock with any further lockdowns. Sick to the ****ing teeth of it now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement