Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part VII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

MadYaker wrote: »
    So every time we open the pubs, restaurants, and shops cases go up, but in your opinion that has nothing to do with them being open. Are you serious? Where do you think people are getting infected? Sitting at home on the couch? Come on.

Except this isn't remotely true.

Restaurants and food pubs opened the end of June. Cases stayed pretty much static for the next month.

Numbers then spiked around the August bank holiday, but then very slowly started slipping back down again. They had almost reached start of August levels by the end of August - and then the schools started opening. Within two weeks, number were up 20%. 50% within 3 weeks.

That's not opinion, that's fact that anyone van verify based on the published data.

Worth also noting that after level 5 came in and numbers started dropping (which was well under way before level 5 restrictions took effect, but that's another topic), the downward curve was almost an exact mirror of the upward one - rapid decrease, followed by a shallower one. With the exception of a sudden anomalous drop the second week of November, with numbers staying down for around 6 days before bouncing back up a bit and then resuming the smooth downward curve. Surely pure coincidence that this happened shortly after schools closed for the midterm break.

Since it's been deemed politically untenable to close schools, some other sector has to take the blame, and the hospitality industry is the easy target.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 114 ✭✭RonaVirus

Remember the whole Tony coming back and looking for a "circuit breaker" lockdown, without any evidence it would work? Wales went for a circuit breaker and it didn't work at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Parabellum9

RonaVirus wrote: »
    Remember the whole Tony coming back and looking for a "circuit breaker" lockdown, without any evidence it would work? Wales went for a circuit breaker and it didn't work at all.

Nothing will work until the schools are closed, the virus doesn’t stop at the ****ing school gates regardless of what they think. Easier to point the finger at everything other than schools though, education is simply SO important the rest of us must endure lockdown after lockdown to ensure they stay open.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,528 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

RonaVirus wrote: »
    Remember the whole Tony coming back and looking for a "circuit breaker" lockdown

Nope, that was Leo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,857 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

No words for this only farce

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,644 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Rrrrrr2 wrote: »
    Young fit chaps in the prime of health- did they even get the sniffles?

The 'sniffles' isn't a symptom. How are we nine months into this and people still don't know what the symptoms are?

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Pixies, Ride, Therapy?, Public Service Broadcasting, IDLES(x2), And So I Watch You From Afar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

Tony seems happy enough tonight, even smiling.
    Not blaming anyone.

He's already got his own way on this one so he's not sneering and angry as normal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭showpony1

showpony1 wrote: »
    There was a wildness in Tony Holohan's eyes at his latest press conference...I think he's going to make a power play at the end of this week to cancel Christmas.

So it begins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,881 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Mr Nolan laying it out - the current observations are ahead of predicted worst case projections. The estimated R0 is somewhere between 1.1 and 1.3 best estimate.

We should really tighten restrictions before Christmas. We should not wait. It's too late for the increases in the next couple of weeks but a brake can be put on in to January. The quicker we act the less acute the rise will be.

• Administrators Posts: 54,071 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Mr Nolan laying it out - the current observations are ahead of predicted worst case projections. The estimated R0 is somewhere between 1.1 and 1.3.

We should really tighten restrictions before Christmas. We should not wait. It's too late for the increases in the next couple of weeks but a brake can be put on in to January. The quicker we act the less acute the rise will be.

The government will not tighten restrictions before Christmas because they know it is a complete waste of time. There will be no compliance with anything harsher than what is already being imposed.

It genuinely boggles my mind that people still haven't realised this. The reason we are in loose restrictions next week is because there is no public appetite whatsoever for anything else.

• Advertisement

Close the schools for 2-3 weeks and check the case drop then, until you do that go and swing off my left bollock with any further lockdowns. Sick to the ****ing teeth of it now.

Cases fall with schools open but rise when restrictions lift, yet you conclude closing schools is the way to go? Let’s see on jan 6th

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,365 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Please feel free to hide under your bed throughout the Christmas. I'm sure nobody will stop you.

The rest of us can get on with meeting up with friends and family.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,047 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

awec wrote: »
    The government will not tighten restrictions before Christmas because they know it is a complete waste of time. There will be no compliance with anything harsher than what is already being imposed.

It genuinely boggles my mind that people still haven't realised this. The reason we are in loose restrictions next week is because there is no public appetite whatsoever for anything else.

Yeah whatever side of the fence you fall on in terms of support for / opposition to restrictions, there is absolutely no point in imposing them before Christmas, they will simply not be adhered to in the slightest.

Christmas will happen and people will gather in spite of the risks, and trying to police it would be akin to taking a wiz into a very strong breeze.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 547 ✭✭✭BeefeaterHat

This thread has gone full loon.

Attack someone’s performance all you want but going after someone on a personal level highlights the depravity that this thread has descended into

I don't care about his personal circumstances or life, that's not intended in a cruel way but I do feel the CMO job is too crucial for one to pick up and put down willy nilly. He shouldve stayed gone.

Rrrrrr2 wrote: »
    I do avoid RTE Covid briefings- who in their right mind would be still watching this drivel at this stage?
    Are these people getting paid for their “work”? As a simple yes/no will suffice

I'm not sure what the point of your question to me is? I'd imagine that the answer is 'yes' if that's good enough for you?

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Pixies, Ride, Therapy?, Public Service Broadcasting, IDLES(x2), And So I Watch You From Afar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,881 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

ShyMets wrote: »
    Go easy on Kermit. He's a little sore because he was kicked off the main Covid thread for a week.

Thoughts and prayers

Not sore but yes, I will stride triumphantly back in next week

Didn't catch the journailst's name but finally one asked St Tony why he was not doing more to prevent outbreaks in hospitals instead of blaming the public.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭mightyreds

Cant wait to go into lockdown next week so I can look forward to the next lockdown after that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,857 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Didn't catch the journailst's name but finally one asked St Tony why he was not doing more to prevent outbreaks in hospitals instead of blaming he public.

Probably swerved the topic to avoid answering it

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Probably swerved the topic to avoid answering it

He blathered on about some task force he had recommended last week to control outbreaks.
    HSE has accepted the recommendation and the taskforce are going to look at it....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Rrrrrr2

Penfailed wrote: »
    The 'sniffles' isn't a symptom. How are we nine months into this and people still don't know what the symptoms are?

I don’t give two happenny ****es what the “symptoms” are.

He blathered on about some task force he had recommended last week to control outbreaks.
    HSE has accepted the recommendation and the taskforce are going to look at it....

€16k a week he's on and he gives an answer like that. Jobs for the boys.

You're seriously comparing someone disagreeing about covid to being racist? That's a new low of nonsense even for you.

That's not the comparison that was being made. Anything to get a dig in though?

Not sore but yes, I will stride triumphantly back in next week

What will you be triumphant about? An increase in cases? Seems a bit perverse to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Parabellum9

Cases fall with schools open but rise when restrictions lift, yet you conclude closing schools is the way to go? Let’s see on jan 6th

Look at the spike in August compared to the low levels in June July - can you put together the puzzle pieces of what might have been closed during that time that would result in such low figures? And why they rose after a certain date again? Hint: It wasn’t due to pubs

€16k a week he's on and he gives an answer like that. Jobs for the boys.

LOL Tony has written a letter to Government expressing his concern at continued outbreaks in Hospitals and Nursing homes

https://www.independent.ie/news/nphet-flags-serious-concerns-about-rate-of-new-covid-19-cases-and-deaths-associated-with-the-virus-in-hospitals-39875937.html

That'd be like Mikel Arteta writing a letter to the premier league expressing concern that Arsenal are rubbish.

Penfailed wrote: »
    That's not the comparison that was being made. Anything to get a dig in though?

He was. He was comparing someone questioning how severe covid is with someone being racist.

Could you actually link something of value other than a tweet?

2020 strikes again.

Oh look at that tweet - north are fkced arent they

:rolleyes:

Says yer man, linking something of value...oh...wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Rrrrrr2

awec wrote: »

I said it pages back- the next lockdown is going to be extremely hard to implement now. There’s almost zero public buy in. To my mind the dam has burst. Only the covid diehards and virtue signallers (same thing) are interested. I gauge this from my own observations in all the places I’ve been to the past few weeks- Kilkenny, Dublin, Kildare, Carlow are all busy anytime and well into the evening, 7 days of the week. This is not a populace in the slightest bit scared- all they’re scared of now are more pointless restrictions on their lives and freedoms

• Advertisement

LOL Tony has written a letter to Government expressing his concern at continued outbreaks in Hospitals and Nursing homes

https://www.independent.ie/news/nphet-flags-serious-concerns-about-rate-of-new-covid-19-cases-and-deaths-associated-with-the-virus-in-hospitals-39875937.html

That'd be like Mikel Arteta writing a letter to the premier league expressing concern that his team is rubbish.

He's just doing it to cover his arse. If it gets brought up again at a conference he can say he wrote a letter to the government expressing his concern. And Tony's very good at expressing concern.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement