Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part VII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Comments

NPHET wanted 6 weeks of level 5 lockdown. They got their wish. Then they didn’t want to lift it. 2.5 weeks later and they are already talking of the next lockdown which I imagine will also be 6 weeks.

And let me guess... after 6 weeks they still won’t be comfortable to lift it.

At what point do we ask ourselves, is permanent lockdown the plan? And what damage will that cause over the course of 2021?

And people actually believe the economy will bounce back in 2021... lol, that’s cute.

This country is going to tank very hard if we don’t start jabbing people very quickly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 547 ✭✭✭BeefeaterHat

NPHET wanted 6 weeks of level 5 lockdown. They got their wish. Then they didn’t want to lift it. 2.5 weeks later and they are already talking of the next lockdown which I imagine will also be 6 weeks.

At what point do we ask ourselves, is permanent lockdown the plan? And what damage will that cause over the course of 2021?

And people actually believe the economy will bounce back in 2021... lol, that’s cute.

This country is going to tank very hard if we don’t start jabbing people very quickly.

Just looked at the vaccine thread and the timeline they're giving 6-9 months. I hope to God restrictions end by March but I think it's in vain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Parabellum9

There is no end to lockdown - these goons will continue rolling them out and blaming everything else for the increase rather than admit keeping schools open is the source of this. But hey, what does it matter how any of the rest of us are managing mental health or livelihoods as long as some 89 year old somewhere gets to live out their last 6 months in isolation but covid free.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Jin luk

The economy is well and truly ready to explode if we enter another lockdown, its ridiculous at this stage! the debt this country has accumulated in the last year is mind boggling. They want to cause so much disruption now because the approval rating for a jab is pretty dam low throughout the populations cause mass disruption and people will start to say just give it to me already and get it over with.

Just looked at the vaccine thread and the timeline they're giving 6-9 months. I hope to God restrictions end by March but I think it's in vain.

We really need some kind of short term plan that isn’t just lockdown for another 9 months.

It seems like the 5 level plan and local restrictions has been ripped up.

• Advertisement

If 20% of the workforce are unemployed at the moment, how many will it be next summer if we continue with lockdowns?

I shudder to think. And then we have Brexit as well.

Recipe for disaster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,263 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

If 20% of the workforce are unemployed at the moment, how many will it be next summer if we continue with lockdowns?

Recipe for disaster.

Was it in this thread someone posted the report from the ESRI? It predicted 10% unemployment by summer next year with a return to full employment in early 2022. I’ll see if I can find the report.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Paddygreen

Recipe for disaster.

We can build back better.

We really need some kind of short term plan that isn’t just lockdown for another 9 months.

It seems like the 5 level plan and local restrictions has been ripped up.

The tier system went out the window back in October when the 6 week lockdown was brought back in and I don't think we'll see it again if NPHET have their way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭BryanMartin21

Another day, another example of lots of cases and few deaths. Another day closer to herd immunity.

The more recorded cases increase the more we have official data (rather than suspected actual infections) to show how not harmful covid is. Of course NPHET are concerned as they are close to being found out with their hysterics over this virus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭brisan

acequion wrote: »
    "We have left ourselves the most vulnerable in Europe despite warnings of how super fast the disease spreads unrestrained."

You asked me to quote examples of your hysteria and hyperbole.

The first is your hysteria, the second your hyberbole.

But I've twice asked you a genuine and valid question. In addition to asking for evidence for your claims. Zero attempt by you to engage. Clearly your aim is hysteria and hyperbole, not substance. So I've better things to be doing than talking to you.

Don't hold your breath waiting for an answer
    There is a reason he got kicked off the main thread

Rte news asked three groups of people in Belfast about whether or not they were in favour of a lockdown and they were all for it. Of course all three groups were OAPs who won't be affected financially by lockdown so it's easy for them.

MadYaker wrote: »
    Was it in this thread someone posted the report from the ESRI? It predicted 10% unemployment by summer next year with a return to full employment in early 2022. I’ll see if I can find the report.

Not sure what that’s based on, but doubtful if we continue locking down.

Rte news asked three groups of people in Belfast about whether or not they were in favour of a lockdown and they were all for it. Of course all three groups were OAPs who won't be affected financially by lockdown so it's easy for them.

The snowflake generation.

Nothing will work until the schools are closed, the virus doesn’t stop at the ****ing school gates regardless of what they think. Easier to point the finger at everything other than schools though, education is simply SO important the rest of us must endure lockdown after lockdown to ensure they stay open.

Maybe if all the children were given a 9 euro cheeseburger it would help

Mr Nolan laying it out - the current observations are ahead of predicted worst case projections. The estimated R0 is somewhere between 1.1 and 1.3 best estimate.

We should really tighten restrictions before Christmas. We should not wait. It's too late for the increases in the next couple of weeks but a brake can be put on in to January. The quicker we act the less acute the rise will be.

Just as well the experts think you are wrong

awec wrote: »
    The government will not tighten restrictions before Christmas because they know it is a complete waste of time. There will be no compliance with anything harsher than what is already being imposed.

It genuinely boggles my mind that people still haven't realised this. The reason we are in loose restrictions next week is because there is no public appetite whatsoever for anything else.

But those numbers hey
    Seemingly they are even more important than Christmas
    MM knows he would be flogging a dead horse closing down before Christmas

Not sore but yes, I will stride triumphantly back in next week

The fact you even thought that never mind typed it and the split second in between did not make you stop typing tells me all I need to know about you

• Registered Users Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭JRant

MadYaker wrote: »

It was over 14% by the end of next year providing the vaccine is rolled out early and restrictions aren't dragged long into next year. They do say all bets are off if the restrictions continue.

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2020/1217/1184895-esri-economic-forecast/

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

The tier system went out the window back in October when the 6 week lockdown was brought back in and I don't think we'll see it again if NPHET have their way.

Genuine question, and I'm not going to get into conspiracies, but what are the members of NPHET earning for their work? Are they each financially better off right now than they were before Covid? Will they be financially worse off when Covid ends? Do they benefit financially from this dragging on as long as possible?

Simple genuine questions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭crossman47

brisan wrote: »
    MM knows he would be flogging a dead horse closing down before Christmas

He would but that doesn't mean he'd be wrong. We will have to follow Germany, Belgium and so many others so as to get control over this virus again. This is my last post on this thread because there are so many on here arguing the indefensible. Lives don't seem to matter to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Another day, another example of lots of cases and few deaths. Another day closer to herd immunity.

The more recorded cases increase the more we have official data (rather than suspected actual infections) to show how not harmful covid is. Of course NPHET are concerned as they are close to being found out with their hysterics over this virus.

Am still amazed that people believe NPHET have ulterior motives...

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Genuine question, and I'm not going to get into conspiracies, but what are the members of NPHET earning for their work? Are they each financially better off right now than they were before Covid? Will they be financially worse off when Covid ends? Do they benefit financially from this dragging on as long as possible?

I know Holohans on €16k a month and I doubt his colleagues are doing it out of a sense of charity or patriotic obligation.

Chivito550 wrote: »

I can see a few book deals and after dinner speaking engagements heading their way

KaneToad wrote: »
    Am still amazed that people believe NPHET have ulterior motives...

Can you show me data which shows how harmful covid is? It is not evident from our official data in Ireland.

crossman47 wrote: »
    He would but that doesn't mean he'd be wrong. We will have to follow Germany, Belgium and so many others so as to get control over this virus again. This is my last post on this thread because there are so many on here arguing the indefensible. Lives don't seem to matter to them.

Brave soul, posting on Boards to save lives.

Notions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,644 ✭✭✭Penfailed

The snowflake generation.

OAPs are the snowflake generation?

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Pixies, Ride, Therapy?, Public Service Broadcasting, IDLES(x2), And So I Watch You From Afar

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

the economy grew this year by 3.4% and is projected to grow next year.

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2020/1217/1184895-esri-economic-forecast/

and permanent lockdown is not the plan. we're starting vaccinations by the end of the year.

enough of the hysteria.

Penfailed wrote: »
    OAPs are the snowflake generation?

Yes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

Can you show me data which shows how harmful covid is? It is not evident from our official data in Ireland.

it's killed 1.6 million people.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement