Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part VII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭BryanMartin21

froog wrote: »
    it's killed 1.6 million people.

Right.

Can you put that in context?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

Right.

what?

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Rrrrrr2

KaneToad wrote: »
    Am still amazed that people believe NPHET have ulterior motives...

Lol are you deliberately pretending to be naive in the name of irony or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Genuine question, and I'm not going to get into conspiracies, but what are the members of NPHET earning for their work? Are they each financially better off right now than they were before Covid? Will they be financially worse off when Covid ends? Do they benefit financially from this dragging on as long as possible?

Simple genuine https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2020/1217/1184895-esri-economic-forecast/]

The NPHET is just the HSE in disguise. It's made up of a majority of HSE top brass. I don't think it's additional money that has them acting this way. It's more to do with covering up for the terrible job they have done for a long period of time.

Every winter there's a crisis, it just so happens this year they are willing to sacrifice large parts of society to make sure no hard questions asked of their running of the health service.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

it's killed 1.6 million people.

Murdered even

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

The snowflake generation.
    Can you show me data which shows how harmful covid is? It is not evident from our official data in Ireland.
    Penfailed wrote: »
    OAPs are the snowflake generation?
    Yes.
    Right.

Mod

BryanMartin21 Less of this style of posting. All you are doing is trolling here to wind everyone up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 547 ✭✭✭BeefeaterHat

what?

WHO reckoned a couple of months ago that there was 700 Million+ cases. To put the million into perspective

WHO reckoned a couple of months ago that there was 700 Million+ cases. To put the million into perspective

it's about 6 times deadlier than the flu.

the economy grew this year by 3.4% and is projected to grow next year.

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2020/1217/1184895-esri-economic-forecast/

and permanent lockdown is not the plan. we're starting vaccinations by the end of the year.

enough of the hysteria.

GDP is a terrible metric to judge how we are performing due to the large distortion caused by large US multinationals here. GNP would be a better metric and gives a more accurate picture.

20% unemployment is hysteria?

We are in serious trouble over the next few years even if the restrictions all end tomorrow.

anyway, the economy doesn't seem to be a major problem from the economic data.

weird how everyone here is just ignoring that tremendously good news.

• Advertisement

MadYaker wrote: »
    Was it in this thread someone posted the report from the ESRI? It predicted 10% unemployment by summer next year with a return to full employment in early 2022. I’ll see if I can find the report.

We’ll no more be at 10% unemployment next summer than the man on the moon. As it looks like the government are hellbent on lockdowns well into the new year and beyond unemployment can only go one way from here and that’s up.
    The hospitality and tourism sector are dead as are retail and travel

Sweet jesus. Talk on about living on another planet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭dalyboy

MM saying Hospitality closed after Christmas

A shocking 0.23% causing fatality based on 700 million reckoned cases.

Ebola / plague it certainly is NOT

• Administrators Posts: 54,071 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

crossman47 wrote: »
    He would but that doesn't mean he'd be wrong. We will have to follow Germany, Belgium and so many others so as to get control over this virus again. This is my last post on this thread because there are so many on here arguing the indefensible. Lives don't seem to matter to them.

We wouldn't be following any of those countries.

We've been in lockdown since October.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,644 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Yes.

First time I've ever heard of OAPs being described as the snowflake generation...but okay.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Pixies, Ride, Therapy?, Public Service Broadcasting, IDLES(x2), And So I Watch You From Afar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,464 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

it's about 6 times deadlier than the flu.

No it’s 20 times more tested for than flu

awec wrote: »

It really shows the famed Irish inferiority complex doesn’t it- everyone else is doing something so we must do it too regardless of our own situation because after all “those Germans know better”.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 547 ✭✭✭BeefeaterHat

Penfailed wrote: »
    First time I've ever heard of OAPs being described as the snowflake generation...but okay.

Well I would like to know why didn't rte ask people in their 20's and 30's struggling to pay rent or mortgage how they felt about lockdown? Maybe because they'd give an answer they didn't want to hear? I'm not exaggerating when I say they didn't ask a soul under the age of 65.

We borrowed 24 billion just to keep the place ticking over this year and that's before the last round of lockdown. Add in 20% unemployment and that's as far from tremendously good news as you can get.

Well I would like to know why didn't rte ask people in their 20's and 30's struggling to pay rent or mortgage how they felt about lockdown? Maybe because they'd give an answer they didn't want to hear? I'm not exaggerating when I say they didn't ask a soul under the age of 65.

No one under 45 watches RTE it listen to it. Because it’s utter crap and viewing/listening for grannies basically

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,464 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

If that’s the case do we ever need to open up?

Realistically, there has been only positive economics consequences, no influenza deaths, less air travel and many other benefits.

Surely it makes sense to enforce restrictions forevermore?

Why should they ever be released I wonder

awec wrote: »

With Dublin in Level 3.9/4.5 since September. All under the proviso that Christmas would be "normal". Yet here we are, 2 weeks out of lockdown and it's talk of yet more restrictions.

JRant wrote: »
    We borrowed 24 billion just to keep the place ticking over this year and that's before the last round of lockdown. Add in 20% unemployment and that's as far from tremendously good news as you can get.

The public spending is mind blowing- which is is quite removed from any supposed economic growth. The economy would need to be growing at double figures plus to sustain these levels of public spending. Scary that so many are willingly oblivious to all this

If that’s the case do we ever need to open up?

Realistically, there has been only positive economics consequences, no influenza deaths, less air travel and many other benefits.

Surely it makes sense to enforce restrictions forevermore?

Why should they ever be released I wonder

Jesus don’t give them ideas!!

Rrrrrr2 wrote: »
    The public spending is mind blowing- which is is quite removed from any supposed economic growth. The economy would need to be growing at double figures plus to sustain these levels of public spending. Scary that so many are willingly oblivious to all this

It's the illusion of "free money", the same magic money tree that all the main parties laughed at SF and some of the loonie left for thinking it existed. That money is low interest but not free, by any stretch of the imagination.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Lockdown 3 will be less successful than lockdown 2.

People have had enough.

JRant wrote: »
    With Dublin in Level 3.9/4.5 since September. All under the proviso that Christmas would be "normal". Yet here we are, 2 weeks out of lockdown and it's talk of yet more restrictions.

My sense is the next lockdown is going to be very hard to implement and sustain. Public buy in is non existent- even amongst the lockdown luvvies and clappers- they are all either down in Penneys or having meals in their fav restaurants that they “missed so much” or down in Costa “with the gurls”. I observe these people on an almost daily basis

Lockdown 3 will be less successful than lockdown 2.

People have had enough.

That’s exactly my sense. I’m out and about daily and can see it everywhere.
    There’s no fear whatsoever- majority are living without Nphet government mind control.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

My brother has been working 70+ hours a week in the hospitality industry for the last fortnight, he hasn’t seen his family, his girlfriend, or met up with any of his friends since the lockdown has been lifted. He will be working Christmas Eve too.
    He is delighted to be back working so there’s no complaints on that end.
    While everyone else has been catching up with loved ones, he’s working all the hours he can because he knew he’d be out of a job again come January 6th and needs the money.
    Now it looks like it’ll be happening even sooner than first thought.

I don’t quite know how to sum this into words, but it doesn’t sit right with me that the government are ‘using’ these employees and industries as they please and then discarding them again at a moments notice.
    They knew there would be public revolt if restrictions weren’t eased for Christmas so the government expects the employees in these industries to forego seeing and spending time with their own families and forego enjoying the new found freedom over the festive period for the sake of 3 weeks of work, only to take their jobs away again at the drop of the hat once they have fulfilled their purpose.
    Oh and they’re supposed to be grateful for the pleasure of it, too. They are being taken advantage of in every sense by those in charge around here.

It’s actually a disgusting way to treat people when you think about it, particularly when you consider that a lot of these are low income workers.
    Use and abuse and then pay lip service about how ‘we’re all in this together’ when we’re putting them back on the PUP for the umpteenth time this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,907 ✭✭✭acequion

Boggles wrote: »
    So you think speculating about his family and family circumstances is fair game?

It isn't, no reasonable decent individual would think that would be okay.

You are completely twisting my words, you are being emotive and sanctimonious with your "no reasonable, decent individual" nonsense and you make no attempt to debate either my arguments or the other poster's.

Neither myself nor the other poster "speculated about his family circumstances." We questioned his suitability for his extremely responsible role given his personal circumstances. If you wanted to you would see that. But you don't want to. You want to persist with this codology that we are somehow very nasty individuals because we dare to criticise your idol. Well sorry for you.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement