Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part VII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,945 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

froog wrote: »
    anyway, the economy doesn't seem to be a major problem from the economic data.

weird how everyone here is just ignoring that tremendously good news.

The economy or your economy?

Wait until we have to start paying back the borrowing.

I guess FFFG will try to push it out beyond the next GE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,907 ✭✭✭acequion

Well, firstly you are not talking to me, typing perhaps...

Secondly you have not specified the "evidence" you seek. Rather you have been as unspecific as possible.

Thirdly, I am 100% correct. We are the only country in the EU that has loosened restrictions in the run up to Christmas. Other countries like Germany, France and Italy are tightening or have already tightened restrictions. They are not taking the gamble we have taken.

You only have to look 60 miles up the road to know what way this is highly likely to go.

I have been very specific and you know it. You're just trying to cause trouble by refusing to answer questions and back up your hysterical claims. You think you're a 100% right, you've just said it and will not condescend to actually debating on a constructive level.

For instance the emboldened above? Will you provide a link to back that up? Somehow I doubt you will. Of course the fact that our restrictions have been among the harshest in Europe for several months is lost on you, so clearly there was no more tightening to be done from level 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭lukas8888

Penfailed wrote: »
    First time I've ever heard of OAPs being described as the snowflake generation...but okay.

I think your irony button is disabled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,710 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

lukas8888 wrote: »

No, they're deadly serious, unlike this virus

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Rrrrrr2

Zebra3 wrote: »

There won’t be any pushing out it beyond elections

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Rrrrrr2 wrote: »
    The public spending is mind blowing- which is is quite removed from any supposed economic growth. The economy would need to be growing at double figures plus to sustain these levels of public spending. Scary that so many are willingly oblivious to all this

Are you factoring in inflation or the fact that the rest of the eurozone is in a much worse state? What about negative rates. Remortgaging today will actually make us money. Crazy world alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

SusieBlue wrote: »
    My brother has been working 70+ hours a week in the hospitality industry for the last fortnight, he hasn’t seen his family, his girlfriend, or met up with any of his friends since the lockdown has been lifted. He will be working Christmas Eve too.
    He is delighted to be back working so there’s no complaints on that end.
    While everyone else has been catching up with loved ones, he’s working all the hours he can because he knew he’d be out of a job again come January 6th and needs the money.
    Now it looks like it’ll be happening even sooner than first thought.

I don’t quite know how to sum this into words, but it doesn’t sit right with me that the government are ‘using’ these employees and industries as they please and then discarding them again at a moments notice.
    They knew there would be public revolt if restrictions weren’t eased for Christmas so the government expects the employees in these industries to forego seeing and spending time with their own families and forego enjoying the new found freedom over the festive period for the sake of 3 weeks of work, only to take their jobs away again at the drop of the hat once they have fulfilled their purpose.
    Oh and they’re supposed to be grateful for the pleasure of it, too. They are being taken advantage of in every sense by those in charge around here.

It’s actually a disgusting way to treat people when you think about it, particularly when you consider that a lot of these are low income workers.
    Use and abuse and then pay lip service about how ‘we’re all in this together’ when we’re putting them back on the PUP for the umpteenth time this year.

I work in this industry and this sums how I feel. I feel like I'm being made a mug of. Out of work for 8 months of the year. Back for a week now and I hear its going to be closed again in a week. I knew this would happen. You can feel the tension in the air at work like you are on borrowed time.

Are you factoring in inflation or the fact that the rest of the eurozone is in a much worse state? What about negative rates. Remortgaging today will actually make us money. Crazy world alright.

We are remortgaging for wasteful daily spending- a complete waste of money- if we were building useful infrastructure for future prosperity it might be useful. But yea, free money etc

Lockdown 3 will be less successful than lockdown 2.

People have had enough.

Lockdown 2 was successful? LOL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

We are remortgaging for wasteful daily spending- a complete waste of money- if we were building useful infrastructure for future prosperity it might be useful. But yea, free money etc

Don't disagree with that. At a certain point you are throwing bad money after good. We should still remortgage while the printing press is hot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

Zebra3 wrote: »

Irelands economy grew 3.4% this year. That is a fact.

froog wrote: »
    Irelands economy grew 3.4% this year. That is a fact.

And what did public spending increase by? And how was that financed?

My sense is the next lockdown is going to be very hard to implement and sustain. Public buy in is non existent

I think people have finally learned to ignore the bodies piling up in the street :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

bush wrote: »
    I work in this industry and this sums how I feel. I feel like I'm being made a mug of. Out of work for 8 months of the year. Back for a week now and I hear its going to be closed again in a week. I knew this would happen. You can feel the tension in the air at work like you are on borrowed time.

They’re basically summoning you every few months to placate the public by giving them a little taste of normality, and then telling you to fcuk off until they need you again.
    I wouldn’t blame you for feeling like a mug, why should you miss out on spending much needed time with your family and friends over Christmas just so that they can take your job again next week?

I think it’s very sad that the people who are working themselves to the bone in this very stressful situation so we can buy our Christmas presents/drink our coffee/go for dinner etc. won’t get to enjoy the same things with their loved ones cause they’ll be working, and they’ll be the first ones out of jobs when the restrictions come back again to boot.
    It’s downright insulting when you think about it.
    It’s infuriating that they think this is an acceptable way to treat hardworking people just trying to make a living.

SusieBlue wrote: »
    It’s downright insulting when you think about it.
    It’s infuriating that they think this is an acceptable way to treat hardworking people just trying to make a living.

Agree, it's a disgrace. Unfortunately you're talking about out-of-touch politicians taking orders from the EU. They couldn't care less as they're not financially affected themselves.

Agree, it's a disgrace. Unfortunately you're talking about out-of-touch politicians taking orders from the EU. They couldn't care less as they're not financially affected themselves.

Always said if the political, media and public sector elites were all thrown onto the €350 per week payments then you’d never hear the word lockdown again.
    The peasants are expendable you see

I think people have finally learned to ignore the bodies piling up in the street :pac:

Terrifying isn’t it? Oh well gotta soldier on into Penney’s and Costa regardless of the horror all around

Always said if the political, media and public sector elites were all thrown onto the €350 per week payments then you’d never hear the word lockdown again.
    The peasants are expendable you see

The peasants are absolutely expendable. At the same time, the ruling classes throughout history have always feared the peasant revolt. Maybe the peasants will get their heads out of the iPhones and rise up.

Unlikely.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31 Big Back Clock

The peasants are absolutely expendable. At the same time, the ruling classes throughout history have always feared the peasant revolt. Maybe the peasants will get their heads out of the iPhones and rise up.

Unlikely.

Always wondered this myself. If there was genuine decent showings of mass public in the city how would it fair out? If certain sectors downed tools/stopped working.

Not sure how the protests around Europe have went.

Always wondered this myself. If there was genuine decent showings of mass public in the city how would it fair out? If certain sectors downed tools/stopped working.

I feel a lot are bought off by the social welfare payments and business supports- there’s no ferocious grumble from any of the closed sectors- I mean legs on street type fury.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 547 ✭✭✭BeefeaterHat

The reason you won't see protests here like you did in London, Paris and Italy is because they've successfully pigeonholed openly anti restrictions people as anti vax Gemma odoherty lunatics. People are just so submissive it's depressing.

We could've built two dozen metros in Dublin with the deficit we're currently running. We could've done more to help out the health service than all the lockdowns in the world rather than bribing people into compliance.

I feel a lot are bought off by the social welfare payments and business supports- there’s no ferocious grumble from any of the closed sectors- I mean legs on street type fury.

Theyll all be taxed for the PUP over four years. I believe continued welfare reliance into the future will require vaccination program compliance etc. No such thing as free money.

We wouldn't hear about it on RTE, anyway; that's for sure :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,644 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Mass protests and riots on the streets have been mooted on this thread for months. Nothing. No one is het up enough to bother.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Pixies, Ride, Therapy?, Public Service Broadcasting, IDLES(x2), And So I Watch You From Afar

lukas8888 wrote: »

I'm not sure you know what irony means...

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Pixies, Ride, Therapy?, Public Service Broadcasting, IDLES(x2), And So I Watch You From Afar

Mass protests and riots on the streets have been mooted on this thread for months. Nothing. No one is het up enough to bother.

Wait until they all get cut/transferred from PUP to the regular dole, whilst their jobs are still deemed "unsafe". Along with coerced vaccinations etc.

If there's going to be mass protests, it'll be next year as the above kicks in.

Wait until they all get cut/transferred from PUP to the regular dole, whilst their jobs are still deemed "unsafe". Along with coerced vaccinations etc.

If there's going to be mass protests, it'll be next year as the above kicks in.

People have been posting about, "wait until this, that and the other..." for months. Yeah...still nothing. It's their version of, "the next two weeks are crucial."

People have been posting about, "wait until this, that and the other..." for months. Yeah...still nothing. It's their version of, "the next two weeks are crucial."

Can you point me to some of these posts- I’d love to see them.

• Advertisement

You have to admit though, a large reason why so many of the public have gone along with this is down to the generous welfare payments. They're sexed up bribes.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement