Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part VII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Comments

Penfailed wrote: »
    People have been posting about, "wait until this, that and the other..." for months. Yeah...still nothing.

Maybe. As previous poster said, people seem to be generally submissive.

That said, when they're back on the regular dole and can't pay their mortgages etc, you'd think they might do something then.

You have to admit though, a large reason why so many of the public have gone along with this is down to the generous welfare payments. They're sexed up bribes.

Exactly. And the more borrowing we do, the more vulnerable/co-operative we'll have to be in return. Like I said, there's no such thing as free money.

We're being bought off for what's coming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,857 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Education is a massive coup in this day of age to find a good paying job. Sadly long gone are the days of leaving school early and getting into a trade or half aresing the leaving cert in hope of going to FAS or 'PLC' courses. Back then you walk up and get a handy factory job that could half set your life but nowadays that's not the case and very very much 'who you know' for half decent living jobs no matter what education you have

I suffer from a mental health/learning difficulty which went undiagnosed during my educational years which entailed many insults by teachers and left me unmotivated/scared. Not feeling sorry for myself but so frustrating. I would go back and study but why bother if there's no 'real jobs' around

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,907 ✭✭✭acequion

People will do nothing. Because they never do anything in Ireland only grumble. And the politicians do what they like. This dysfunctional, dystopian world we've been living in has now been completely normalised. Not a whisper of apology from the Govt, no softly softly like at the start. Now they pull the plug whenever NPHET click the fingers and tow us all into line. It's actually very scary. MM was even bleating this eve that we must mind our hospitals, our hospitals which have NEVER been overrun.

Those in the hospitality sector are not the only victims. Christmas can be a very tough time for the lonely, the isolated, those in broken homes and/or abusive situations. Yet our leaders continue to show cold indifference.

Were we not in a six week level 5 to save Christmas? And a few days of 400 or so cases and they're backtracking and panicking already! And sentencing us all to more misery before we even arrive at new year! It really is incredible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,644 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Rrrrrr2 wrote: »
    Can you point me to some of these posts- I’d love to see them.

This is Part VII of the restrictions thread. I'm not sure how many posts there are in each thread...but if you think I'm going to start searching through them to find those posts for you, I'm sorry but I'm going to have to let you down.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Pixies, Ride, Therapy?, Public Service Broadcasting, IDLES(x2), And So I Watch You From Afar

• Advertisement

Restrictions likely to be increased from December 28:
    "He (Micheal Martin) said the country had endured six weeks of severe Level 5 restrictions, people "had put up with a lot" and the Government had felt that a break was needed for the month of December to ensure that people had a meaningful Christmas."
    https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/1217/1184955-covid-ireland-nphet/

There you have it. Level 5 is your new normal. Level 3 was just a "break" for Christmas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Education is a massive coup in this day of age to find a good paying job. Sadly long gone are the days of leaving school early and getting into a trade or half aresing the leaving cert in hope of going to FAS or 'PLC' courses. Back then you walk up and get a handy factory job that could half set your life but nowadays that's not the case and very very much 'who you know' for half decent living jobs no matter what education you have

I suffer from a mental health/learning difficulty which went undiagnosed during my educational years which entailed many insults by teachers and left me unmotivated/scared. Not feeling sorry for myself but so frustrating. I would go back and study but why bother if there's no 'real jobs' around

That’s true, I feel in the future having a job will be deemed a luxury. I actually think they want to develop a social welfare state and they want nobody to own anything Specefically talking about houses and nobody can drive/ have a car. Only the super wealthy will have the above.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Paddygreen

It’s dire guys, beyond grim.. and very concerning. The reapers scythe drips with the blood of the doomed.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Paddygreen

I am secure in the notion that our experts and leaders are looking out for the “greater good”

Eggs get broken to make omelettes guys.

Lockdown is here until people are vaccinated and we have practically 0 Covid. Now that could easily be another 6 - 12 months or maybe even more. And assumes the vaccine will even work the way we hope and that enough people take it. Look at the below timeline:

March - June: Country was locked down
    July: Majority of restrictions lifted
    August: Kildare, Laois and Offaly locked down, pubs pushed back again.
    September: Heavy restrictions reintroduced in Dublin
    October/November: Nationwide lockdown
    December: Some restrictions lifted with a promise that lockdown would return in early Jan. Lockdown to start earlier than planned on Dec 28th possibly.

Now there are a few things worth pointing out here...

1) Lockdown doesn’t “Work” unless you are prepared to remain locked down. I won’t even go into the all of the detrimental economic, health and social aspects.

2) Living with Covid was a flat out lie by the government to buy time. They never had any intention of allowing us to live with this. They still don’t.

3) All of our eggs are in the vaccine basket. Seriously, we better pray this thing actually works as well as they say.

I think it’s about time we stopped implying that lockdown is to bring cases down so restrictions can be eased. That’s simply not the case at all as the timeline proves.

God only knows what state the country will be in when we finally decide to come back to normality again.

• Advertisement

Tony Holohan is now on Newstalk addressing the nation.

For a tired and exhausted busy man who only works in an “advisory “ role to our Government, he certainly gets around .

This seems to be about Ireland not wanting to lose the “best in class “ medal . He’s comparing us to Germany , saying they’re closing . But we’ve been closed ALL along, for months, while Europe was open !
    So much talk about surges in January and hospitals being overrun , yet they’ve never been quieter. Even in the first lockdown hospitals weren’t overrun. We are now taking patients from Northern Ireland as we have so much spare capacity. We’ve had so much of this kite flying and scare mongering, I simply don’t believe it anymore, the idea of bodies piled up on the streets is no longer working .

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Level 42

That newstalk presenter with the norrdie accent awful voice going through my head

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,918 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

For a tired and exhausted busy man who only works in an “advisory “ role to our Government, he certainly gets around .

This seems to be about Ireland not wanting to lose the “best in class “ medal . He’s comparing us to Germany , saying they’re closing . But we’ve been closed ALL along, for months, while Europe was open !

He’s talking about surges in January and hospitals being overrun , yet they’ve never been quieter. We’ve had so much of this kite flying and scare mongering, I simply don’t believe it anymore, the idea of bodies piled up on the streets is no longer working .

I can't believe what I'm hearing!

NT have Tony Holohan on to give his spiel.

No interrupting from Ciara (edit : just read its a different Ciara than usual but that would normally be the case in interviews), calling him "doctor" almost reverently, letting him go on and on without challenging anything he comes out with and only meekly throwing questions at him.

Unbelievable! Why is he doing radio interviews anyway? This nonsense of letting him push his narrative (complete with a pop at alcohol culture) and thus undermining and pressuring the Government's decision making has to be stopped.

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    I can't believe what I'm hearing!

NT have Tony Holohan on to give his spiel.

No interrupting from Ciara (edit : just read its a different Ciara than usual but that would normally be the case in interviews), calling him "doctor" almost reverently, letting him go on and on without challenging anything he comes out with and only meekly throwing questions at him.

Unbelievable! Why is he doing radio interviews anyway? This nonsense of letting him push his narrative (complete with a pop at alcohol culture) and thus undermining and pressuring the Government's decision making has to be stopped.

Would much prefer an evidence based narrative than the crank based narrative espoused here

Micheal Martin on NT now. Wow! Bringing out the big guns today.

Micheal very obviously trying to assert his authority in the decision making (no doubt as Tony was just on before the break), and more or less confirming that we will be going back into restrictions before New Year - pubs and restaurants closed, inter county travel restricted, 1 household visits etc..

This will annoy a lot of people on the same morning as they've officially removed the travel restrictions

Would much prefer an evidence based narrative than the crank based narrative espoused here

Then maybe don't read the thread? Seriously.. It seems all you and certain other posters seem to be able to offer is childish foot stamping and insults.

It's not Holohan's role to be doing radio interviews and pre-empting the Government discussing and deciding on the next steps - but that's exactly what he's doing.. again!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

Micheal Martin on NT now. Wow! Bringing out the big guns today.

Micheal very obviously trying to assert his authority in the decision making (no doubt as Tony was just on before the break), and more or less confirming that we will be going back into restrictions before New Year - pubs and restaurants closed, inter county travel restricted, 1 household visits etc..

This will annoy a lot of people on the same morning as they've officially removed the travel restrictions

Why was Holohan given air time? He should just advise the Government. He already gets his two press conferences per week. This is ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,822 ✭✭✭Allinall

Then maybe don't read the thread? Seriously.. It seems all you and certain other posters seem to be able to offer is childish foot stamping and insults.

It's not Holohan's role to be doing radio interviews and pre-empting the Government discussing and deciding on the next steps - but that's exactly what he's doing.. again!

Have you just decided this, or were you involved in writing his job description?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,080 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Alternatively

Then maybe don't listen to the news? Seriously... it seems all you and certain other posters seem to be able to offer is childish foot stamping and insults?

"only let people into your home that you would trust with your life"?? said the HSE yesterday. I missed that one.... And people say that there's no scaremongering?

• Advertisement

pjohnson wrote: »
    Alternatively

Then maybe don't listen to the news? Seriously... it seems all you and certain other posters seem to be able to offer is childish foot stamping and insults?

Where's the insult in what I said?

I'm serious. There are a group of posters whose only purpose in this thread seems to be to insult and dismiss others who are questioning the policy in a thread dedicated to the topic of the relaxation of restrictions.

By all means feel free to challenge what I actually said in the last few posts but otherwise I won't be engaging with you or similar posters.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

He wants to close non essential retail and hospitality again. ****ign hell where does he think the infection is spreading from? 'Cos it's not either of the two of those.

He’s talking about surges in January and hospitals being overrun , yet they’ve never been quieter. We’ve had so much of this kite flying and scare mongering, I simply don’t believe it anymore, the idea of bodies piled up on the streets is no longer working .

Ah the top of the class at Covid award...

I remember working in a department a few years back and senior management introduced a competition in an attempt to boost performance in a particular area.

Several managers pushed and pushed for their teams to perform as well as possible in that area.

Senior Management had to very quickly end the competition when they realised that lots of targets were dropping quickly while the focus was on one area.

Focusing on one issue is never a good thing.

funnydoggy wrote: »
    He wants to close non essential retail and hospitality again. ****ign hell where does he think the infection is spreading from? 'Cos it's not either of the two of those.

And then goes on to talk about our high quality of life in this country.

Irony clearly escaped him

pjohnson wrote: »
    Alternatively

I’ve never seen you make any actual point on this thread...

What is your opinion on anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭JMNolan

"Chief Medical Officer Dr Tony Holohan says they're seeing large numbers of cases linked to outbreaks at places like workplaces, funerals and Christmas parties"

So why not tackle them? Why shut down everything again?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

And then goes on to talk about our high quality of life in this country.

Irony clearly escaped him

LOL good one Tony :pac:

https://extra.ie/2020/12/16/news/irish-news/no-covid-19-outbreaks-hospitality-two-weeks

This is from 2 days ago. Unless the virus has super-mutated into a much more dangerous beast altogether, what's the justification for these new restrictions? It's like using a fire hose to out a match. Yeah sure it could get bad, but at the moment it's doing its own thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Did they not say non essential retail should never close again. That didn't last long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,855 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Well the infection came from a pub in wexford

• Advertisement

you mean the evidence and DATA that was requested by TD's a few weeks ago and promised but never handed over? you mean the DATA which was looked at by new teams agencies OUTSIDE NPHET and yet still we have not seen it??

yeah ok....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement