Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part VII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭BryanMartin21

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Micheal Martin on NT now. Wow! Bringing out the big guns today.

Micheal very obviously trying to assert his authority in the decision making (no doubt as Tony was just on before the break), and more or less confirming that we will be going back into restrictions before New Year - pubs and restaurants closed, inter county travel restricted, 1 household visits etc..

This will annoy a lot of people on the same morning as they've officially removed the travel restrictions

I'm pretty happy that I posted yesterday the media articles seemed like a coordinated media campaign.

TH and MM on the radio this morning confirm that. They are spoofing since they yet again lack data to justify more restrictions. It is more like a PR exercise to try to get people to stop meeting each other,obviously timed to coincide with the relaxation of household visits taking effect today.

Remember, pubs are closed, travel outside your county is banned and home visits are until today banned. So there isn't anything else for them to restrict except schools!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,855 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

rusty cole wrote: »
    you mean the evidence and DATA that was requested by TD's a few weeks ago and promised but never handed over? you mean the DATA which was looked at by new teams agencies OUTSIDE NPHET and yet still we have not seen it??

yeah ok....

And maybe the high death numbers currently in Europe needs to emphasize more.
    754 Germany, 653 italy all yesterday. Alot more also

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,365 ✭✭✭facehugger99

And then goes on to talk about our high quality of life in this country.

Irony clearly escaped him

In fairness, it's a very high quality of life if you're on a cushy public-sector salary with no chance of losing your job.

And maybe the high death numbers currently in Europe needs to emphasize more.
    754 Germany, 653 italy all yesterday. Alot more also

We are not following the other EU countries in our response, last summer was evidence of that. Why would we change now?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 547 ✭✭✭BeefeaterHat

"only let people into your home that you would trust with your life"?? said the HSE yesterday. I missed that one.... And people say that there's no scaremongering?

Well that's a line master crafted to scare the bejeezus out of the over 65's who dared to think they might enjoy Christmas with their families after spending all year sat at home looking out the window.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

Well that's a line master crafted to scare the bejeezus out of the over 65's who dared to think they might enjoy Christmas with their families after spending all year sat at home looking out the window.

Pretty soon after Christmas they'll pull out the "are you afraid yet?" poll again and Tony will be back on the Late Late.

I’ve never seen you make any actual point on this thread...

What is your opinion on anything?

I don't understand it. They make these hit and run comments about us being loons/ conspiracy theorists/ daily mail comments section etc and don't contribute a tap to the actual discussion. Meanwhile on another thread you had someone calling for children to be taken from their parents and sent to camps/schools.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,644 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Ah the top of the class at Covid award...

I remember working in a department a few years back and senior management introduced a competition in an attempt to boost performance in a particular area.

Several managers pushed and pushed for their teams to perform as well as possible in that area.

Senior Management had to very quickly end the competition when they realised that lots of targets were dropping quickly while the focus was on one area.

Focusing on one issue is never a good thing.

Very true. I don't think a country wide shut down is necessary at this stage. They should be going back to a county by county scenario based on the numbers.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Pixies, Ride, Therapy?, Public Service Broadcasting, IDLES(x2), And So I Watch You From Afar

funnydoggy wrote: »
    Pretty soon after Christmas they'll pull out the "are you afraid yet?" poll again and Tony will be back on the Late Late.

In studio of course, a zoom call is insufficient for a man of Tony's standing. Meanwhile the entire country is sat at home for another 6 week lockdown that'll probably wind up being 10

We are not following the other EU countries in our response, last summer was evidence of that. Why would we change now?

So we should ignore the higher deaths in Europe just because we didn't follow their response in the summer?

• Advertisement

So we should ignore the higher deaths in Europe just because we didn't follow their response in the summer?

Why should we lockdown because deaths in Germany are high?

Don't put it back on me until your nonsense is elaborated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,528 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

acequion wrote: »

Neither myself nor the other poster "speculated about his family circumstances." We questioned his suitability for his extremely responsible role given his personal circumstances.

:pac:

In studio of course, a zoom call is insufficient for a man of Tony's standing. Meanwhile the entire country is sat at home for another 6 week lockdown that'll probably wind up being 10

Well if your allowed to sit in a cafe talking to each other or in a restaurant, whats the different sitting in a studio?

Literally no one over the age of 65 I know did this.

If you are going to embellish reality with constant negativity, you will have nothing but a negative perception of that reality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,127 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

Tony wants to be top of the class in Europe in a metric that only he cares about.
    The Government and the rest of the country must step aside and be fcuked because Tony wants his gold star and nothing else matters.

Best CMO in Europe.

Why should we lockdown because deaths in Germany are high?

Don't put it back on me until your nonsense is elaborated.

I didnt say lockdown, i said we take note on what is happening in Europe. If we hit 1000 cases a day, then we need to react going by the evidence in other countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Rrrrrr2

Notice a pattern? There hasn’t been a bank holiday since March where we weren’t in lockdown or other. There’s not a chance St Patrick’s day will be happening again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,523 ✭✭✭HBC08

Exactly, we've had nonstop restrictions basically. Just because we've been let very grudgingly out of our kennels over the mid summer and early autumn and again at Christmas doesn't change that fact.

You live in a kennel?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,907 ✭✭✭acequion

Boggles wrote: »
    :pac:

Like so many others on this thread, you have nothing of substance to contribute and only want to attack and rile those who do make contributions.

Basically only on here to fight with people. Pathetic.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭Coybig_

I didnt say lockdown, i said we take note on what is happening in Europe. If we hit 1000 cases a day, then we need to react going by the evidence in other countries.

Why would we take note on what is happening in Europe now?

We didnt care less about what Europe was doing when we had the harshest restrictions in Europe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,907 ✭✭✭acequion

But we're not on 1000 cases a day, or even close. We were promised a respite for a certain window. Numbers are rising slightly which was inevitable. But Holohan throws a strop as he never wants any relaxation and MM hits the panic button.

I've a secure job to go to this morning, unlike the many who don't. I'm not depressed, lonely or in a difficult personal situation. I would be in a very dark place this morning if I were in any of the above. I'm already furious on their behalf. :mad:

Politicians and the likes of NPHET should temporarily cut their wages to the PUP equivalent for the duration of their restrictions.

Would be a great show of solidarity and leadership.

"We're all in this together".

Literally no one over the age of 65 I know did this.

If you are going to embellish reality with constant negativity, you will have nothing but a negative perception of that reality.

I hardly mean they spent 24/7 looking out the window, I don't know how you got that from what I'm saying. But even you can't downplay the fact the elderly have spent this year torn from family with little or no reprieve.

HBC08 wrote: »
    You live in a kennel?

Yeah it's a bit ruff sometimes but what can you do.

Rrrrrr2 wrote: »
    Notice a pattern? There hasn’t been a bank holiday since March where we weren’t in lockdown or other. There’s not a chance St Patrick’s day will be happening again

We’ll be back in full lockdown in late December, probably for 6 weeks. Then it will likely get extended for another 6 weeks with retail reopening.

That will bring us up to April. Cases will probably start dropping off not too long after that point as summer kicks in and schools start closing for summer.

Wet pubs, nightclubs and big events won’t return anytime soon.

Things might start to change more in the 2nd half of 2021 as people are vaccinated and the financial situation gets desperate.

Just when things start looking positive on the Covid front, budget 2022 will arrive. A combination of extra taxes, spending cuts, PUP payments ending if not already finished.

We’ll start to pay attention to all the things we’ve been ignoring such as the housing crisis and realise the situation is pretty grim for the years ahead.

I pray that I’m wrong. Fear that I’m not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,957 ✭✭✭billyhead

I've a Christmas gift of 2 nights in a Hotel for my Mum and Dad for early in the new year. The hotel is located in their own county. Do you think hotels will close aswell?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,127 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

We were already at over 1000 cases a day for a sustained period in October and guess what?
    Despite Nolan’s flawed modelling saying our hospitals would be overwhelmed we barely reached 300, less than 3% of the total public beds.

Our healthcare system was far from overwhelmed based on those number but yet we haven’t learned from that and instead hit the panic button again when we have a few days of 400.
    The whole thing is exasperating at this stage. A joke

You're missing the overall context. Projected 600 deaths under the age of 85 in a year in Ireland with covid by the time March comes around. This is in spite of the tens of thousands of recorded positives and the presumably many multiples higher figure for actual infections.

People need education more than restrictions; hand washing, masks, no crowds, stay at home if you have a cold, lose the belly etc. I say this as the level 5 for 6 weeks we had recently did a lot but seems to only get numbers down so low.

I hardly mean they spent 24/7 looking out the window, I don't know how you got that from what I'm saying. But even you can't downplay the fact the elderly have spent this year torn from family with little or no reprieve.

That's not exclusive to old people.

The restrictions apply to everyone whatever the age.

But as of today, visiting restrictions have been lifted.

So positive news.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

That's not exclusive to old people.

The restrictions apply to everyone whatever the age.

But as of today, visiting restrictions have been lifted.

So positive news.

Positive news me hole

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement