Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part VII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,528 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

you sound so snobby with that post and im sure ill be carded again, but it must be nice to be secure in your job and sit at home doing feck all while judging others

I didn't judge anyone.

I pointed having worked in the hospitality industry that working long hours at Christmas is the norm, it is to be expected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,080 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Seweryn wrote: »
    Probably.

You would also classify it as a CT statement only a few months ago if someone told you that you will soon see people wearing nappies on their faces while driving. Quite often on their own.

Well if thats their fetish dont kink shame.

99.9% of people seem able to tell the difference between a nappy and a mask. If someone can't differentiate the two I doubt they'd get a drivers license.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭dalyboy

Boggles wrote: »
    220px-Hannibal_Lecter_in_Silence_of_the_Lambs.jpg

I hope not, full of holes. No good.

Yep. Cover them holes up. Sure oxygen is overrated too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,080 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

dalyboy wrote: »
    Picture is hardly needed now is it ?

Just walk on any street and view the splendours of our “free” populace as they scurry around with everything from Hannibal Lector style facial bondage gear to full on religious style multi coloured pampers draping proudly on their faces.

It’s a wonderful dystopian Christmas this year.
    I hope my eyes are looking friendly today peeping out of my misery mask.

Was it Michael Flatley?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

dalyboy wrote: »
    Just walk on any street and view the splendours of our “free” populace as they scurry around with everything from Hannibal Lector style facial bondage gear to full on religious style multi coloured pampers draping proudly on their faces.
    It's odd how most of us just see a scrap of material for catching spits and coughs, while some people see "Hannibal lector style facial bondage gear".

• Advertisement

pjohnson wrote: »
    Was it Michael Flatley?

Or Micheal Hutchence ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

yeah - that despicable drivel really backs up your point. As I said, Cranks.

beautiful :rolleyes:
    I questioned your view while providing the HSE's own numbers.
    In response , you refute me by quoting a different post where I gave an opinion.

lets go again - argue those figures please?

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=115645356&postcount=4177
    Would much prefer an evidence based narrative than the crank based narrative espoused here

you mean the actual HSE data showing ZERO pub or restaurant transmissions? Please answer this, is there better data?

https://www.hpsc.ie/a-z/respiratory/coronavirus/novelcoronavirus/surveillance/covid-19outbreaksclustersinireland/COVID-19%20Weekly%20Outbreak%20Report_Week502020_v1.0_15122020_WebVersion.pdf

Please answer this. Why ?
    Numbers are tiny anyway out of 5 million people (200 hospital and 30 ICU) - these numbers are tony - no restrictions warranted on their basis only common sense/hygiene

Just in case , people here have obsession with nightclubs on this thread as if they are some gotcha question - yes , open them.

hmmm wrote: »
    It's odd how most of us just see a scrap of material for catching spits and coughs, while some people see "Hannibal lector style facial bondage gear".

Lesson for the day then .Each to their own. Thank you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

6 wrote: »
    If places are closed, there's less social interactions. This will lead to lower infections. This is clear and obvious.

Doesn't matter if some people have had enough. Infections will still fall. That's the aim I guess..

Groups of shops, hotels and pubs etc need to come together and open. If they open, people will use them. They can't fine everyone. The lockdowners can stay locked inside, so it won't effect them.

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Rrrrrr2

I wasn't being smug, I actually meant enjoy your xmas.

Thanks you too- have a good Christmas

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,822 ✭✭✭Allinall

Groups of shops, hotels and pubs etc need to come together and open. If they open, people will use them. They can't fine everyone. The lockdowners can stay locked inside, so it won't effect them.

Shops are staying open, by the looks of things.

Pubs and hotels will follow the regulations to keep their licences.

That’s what I’ve been saying- otherwise they’ll continually hit the easy button that doesn’t effect themselves

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,644 ✭✭✭Penfailed

That's laughable. What's to stop them sending out a fine to everyone? The issue would come if people didn't pay the fines. They can't lock everyone up...oh...wait.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Pixies, Ride, Therapy?, Public Service Broadcasting, IDLES(x2), And So I Watch You From Afar

Allinall wrote: »

As they have always done- they cant revoke everyone’s licence however

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,822 ✭✭✭Allinall

Rrrrrr2 wrote: »
    As they have always done- they cant revoke everyone’s licence however

Why not?

There would be a queue of law abiding people to take them over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭BryanMartin21

MadYaker wrote: »
    We’re a year into this and you still don’t get it. 484 yesterday, 4 weeks from now if there aren’t more restrictions brought in they’ll be announcing over 1000 cases a day. Bookmark this post and see if I’m wrong.

"The next 2 + 2 weeks are crucial".

Allinall wrote: »

If all pubs under the umbrella of VFI and LVA opened, there is no possible way that all of their licenses would be revoked. It's time to reopen (in as safe a way as possible).

And i'm one of those people with a safe, stable job that hasn't been affected in the slightest, that apparently wants lockdown to go on forever. Get shit open.

You mean like vulnerable people with chronic underling health conditions like cancer who need a functioning health service to you know live?

You didn't really think that one through did you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,464 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

“Alcohol, let’s be honest, is a huge challenge in this country”

Medical junta leader Tony Holohan finally admits his motivation earlier today

He also said the planned relaxation of restrictions is simply “too long”

Whatever that means

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 114 ✭✭RonaVirus

Level 3+ after Christmas.

With the introduction of the level system, not once has any of the actual levels been applied nationally. Always one part or the whole of the country on an augmented level.

Also the concept was to move from level to level, up and down. That never happened. From 3 to 5 to 3 to to 2 to 3.5

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Maybe it wasn't worthy of a "thanks".

Hospitality worker, putting in long hours at Christmas shocker.

It's the same every year, including retail.

Does the whole industry lose their jobs after already spending over half the year out of work each Christmas too? Do they sacrifice seeing their family/friends to serve the public only to be put back into lockdown when their purpose has been served every year as well?

They have spent the last few months in lockdown just like we have and are now missing out in spending much needed time with their loved ones to cater to us, and for their trouble they’ll be the first out of jobs when restrictions are reimposed. And they won’t have gotten the opportunity to spend any time with their family/friends because of this.

But as expected, you from your high horse think they should be grateful and glad for this.
    It’s actually pathetic.
    They are being used and abused since all this started, they are worthy of more consideration than just being called back in and taken advantage of to placate the public every few months.
    They have gotten no break from this at all. Financially, socially and mentally they have been among the worst off throughout this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

I am sure your view would change if you gave the virus to a love one and they died because of you being careless!!!
    It's happened. I'm sure there are a few people amongst us grappling with that guilt.
    I'd hope they're crippled by guilt. If you've a loved one who's a high risk of dying from the virus, then you need to take personal responsibility for your own actions and not put them at risk. If you go out to a crowded pub or restaurant, go and kiss granny three days later, and she dies because it turns out you picked up covid from one of your mates and gave it to her - that's on you.
    Not the pub, or restaurant, or other people there who had been irresponsible in how they picked up covid - it's on you, and you alone. Either restrict your movements before you visit someone vulnerable, or don't visit them.

But that's one of the things getting lost in this whole nonsense of 1:45 time limits, making a distinction between "wet" pubs, and the €9 meal rubbish. People get the impression that if places are allowed to open, they must be covid free, Saint Tony said so. Or shopping streets thronged with people.

Your chances of picking it up might be low, but they're not zero. And everyone needs to make their own assessment of what level of risk they're comfortable with, who they're going to be in close contact with, and how much guilt they're prepared to live with. There's no point looking for other people to blame after the fact.

Penfailed wrote: »
    They haven't. Why continue to exaggerate the circumstances?
    They have. Why continue to deny the facts?

SusieBlue wrote: »

But as expected, you from your high horse think they should be grateful and glad for this.

If you are taking offense it is because you want to.

You were bemoaning the fact that your family member has to work hard at Christmas, everyone who is the hospitality sector works hard at Christmas, it is a given. It's one of the busiest if not busiest time of the year for that industry.

That was my point.

What I didn't disagree with is the fact it's shítty that his industry has to take the bulk of the closures, but there is a reason for that, it's not been done for the craic.

It's a once in a generation pandemic, there is nothing but shít choices.

MOH wrote: »
    They have. Why continue to deny the facts?

G'n'L said pubs have been closed for ten months this year. They closed in mid-March. It's now mid-December. I make that nine months. They were open (except Dublin) for almost a month in September/October. That brings it down to eight months give or take. That's a fact. Exaggerations don't strengthen anyone's arguments. Quite the opposite.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Pixies, Ride, Therapy?, Public Service Broadcasting, IDLES(x2), And So I Watch You From Afar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,907 ✭✭✭acequion

billyhead wrote: »
    I've a Christmas gift of 2 nights in a Hotel for my Mum and Dad for early in the new year. The hotel is located in their own county. Do you think hotels will close aswell?

I would be slightly more optimistic about that than some of the other posters who replied.

I got caught in the exact same situation when they did an almost overnight hoist up to level 5 from level 3. We had a hotel booked in our county to celebrate a big birthday and it was to be during the October bank holiday weekend. But it was level 3 up to Thurs 22nd Oct so we just brought our hotel stay forward. At huge inconvenience though because as usual it was very short notice and a lot of rearranging had to be done. But my point being that hotels are allowed to operate at level 3 and you can move around your county, so if they do no worse than level 3 you should be grand.

But you're right to be apprehensive because the shower we have in charge including our real masters, NPHET, are capable of anything.

You mean like vulnerable people with chronic underling health conditions like cancer who need a functioning health service to you know live?

You didn't really think that one through did you?

Hospitals are quieter than they have ever been at this time of year. 400 cases is nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

G'n'L said pubs have been closed for ten months this year. They closed in mid-March. It's now mid-December. I make that nine months. They were open (except Dublin) for almost a month in September/October. That brings it down to eight months give or take. That's a fact. Exaggerations don't strengthen anyone's arguments. Quite the opposite.

Apologies, you're quite correct.

I had mistakenly assumed you were one of the "sure any pub in the country has been able to open if they just sold a pizza" brigade who insist that pubs in general have been open since the end of June.

It is indeed only 8 months (9 in Dublin), and not 10, for which thousands of business have been needlessly shuttered.

What I didn't disagree with is the fact it's shítty that his industry has to take the bulk of the closures, but there is a reason for that, it's not been done for the craic.

It's a once in a generation pandemic, there is nothing but shít choices.

As I referred to earlier , the HSE's own numbers don't match the notion that hospitality is causing any major swing in numbers.

Where is the evidence then?

It would seem anecdotal or made up unless there are secret numbers.

if you could prove me wrong on this I'd love it.

id love all these restrictions ,loss of civil liberties and the rest of the crap to be for something meaningful but I just cant see it that that causes me much frustration.

jaysis wept
    you are really arguing the toss whether it was 8 , 9 or 10months....as if it makes any differences:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

MOH wrote: »
    Apologies, you're quite correct.

I had mistakenly assumed you were one of the "sure any pub in the country has been able to open if they just sold a pizza" brigade who insist that pubs in general have been open since the end of June.

It is indeed only 8 months (9 in Dublin), and not 10, for which thousands of business have been needlessly shuttered.

I miss the pub. I couldn't even get into my local when it was restricted to 15 outdoors, as they were always at capacity. I managed to get a few pints in another pub instead.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement