Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part VII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Benimar wrote: »
    Full contact training was allowed in the GAA and by the FAI from mid July until mid October. Matches were also allowed (and many played) during this time.

So yes, REAL sport hasn’t been shut since March.

Mid September in Dublin for football. 2 months of them being allowed play games which ultimately was the off season and lots of the kids staycationing so awkward to arrange games. When you think of the things that are allowed the restrictions on kids sports to my mind are the worst restriction of the lot. Kids should not be allowed play games at level 5 apart from that kids games should go ahead. Maybe limit spectators to one parent, make people wear masks watching but come up with a solution. A playground is much more likely to spread covid than a kids match and our playgrounds have never been busier because there are no kids matches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,365 ✭✭✭facehugger99

I wonder is there any chance Dr Doom would fcuk off for a week or so and let people enjoy the Christmas?

I wonder is there any chance Dr Doom would fcuk off for a week or so and let people enjoy the Christmas?

The chronic depressive knows how to monopolise the airwaves, have the media kowtow to his every whim. The public are in no doubt what's in store after Christmas, if he could kindly STFU until then it would be greatly appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

We need to be reminded every minute how miserable a time it is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,262 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

JRant wrote: »
    6 gun Houlihan doesn't give a shiny shïtê about any of that. Once he can have the pubs, restaurants and hotels shut down to stop the demon drink he's a happy man.

I find it utterly hilarious that grown adults actually believe this to be true

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,262 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

The chronic depressive knows how to monopolise the airwaves, have the media kowtow to his every whim. The public are in no doubt what's in store after Christmas, if he could kindly STFU until then it would be greatly appreciated.

Why do you listen? Is someone forcing you? He’s easily ignored I do it every day.

MadYaker wrote: »
    Why do you listen? Is someone forcing you? He’s easily ignored I do it every day.

You do yeah. You're here every single day discussing NPHET and the restrictions in some context. Jog on.

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Rrrrrr2

It’s bizarre how Holohan behaves right enough but he’s the de facto Taoiseach now unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Rrrrrr2

I consciously do this- but its next to impossible as he’s omnipresent- national media, social media etc he’s there. Truly bizzare.
    Is he a reformed alcoholic? I know a few and he fits exactly the script

Boggles wrote: »
    So it's either 14,000, 1,400 or 255.

That clears that up.

So you believe Dublin only has 3 ICU beds and there is no panic?

If Dublin only had 3 ICU beds, RTÉ would be having a field day.

We had up to 900 in hospital before without been overwhelmed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Paddygreen

Bone chilling fear envelops me when I think that Mr Tony may in fact be the reincarnation of Oliver Cromwell. We better just do what he says guys we don’t want to make him and his new model HSE angry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,644 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Rrrrrr2 wrote: »
    I consciously do this- but its next to impossible as he’s omnipresent- national media, social media etc he’s there. Truly bizzare.
    Is he a reformed alcoholic? I know a few and he fits exactly the script

Social media? Really? I've never seen him on Facebook or Twitter. I listen mostly to BBC Radio Ulster, BBC 6 Music and LBC, which means I'm avoiding national media too.

Yesterday though, both the CMO and the CSO in the north were on the radio a couple of times. There's a massive difference in the way they acted (if this thread is anything to go by). They refused to be drawn on exactly what they advised the northern executive. They said that their role was to give the advice and it was the government's role to make the calls based on that. Reading between the lines, it's possible that they had mentioned school closures but they didn't overstep their mark the way it seems happens down here and tell the interviewer exactly what was advised to try to force the government's hand.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Pixies, Ride, Therapy?, Public Service Broadcasting, IDLES(x2), And So I Watch You From Afar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

Penfailed wrote: »
    Social media? Really? I've never seen him on Facebook or Twitter

He does be on Twitter a good bit! Also anything he says tends to be repeated by HSE Twitter account also and several media outlets push his comments via “promoted” tweets, which are tweets you’ll see regardless of who you follow. So even if you don’t follow him it’s almost impossible to avoid his face and musings on all matters alcoh.... ehemm, covid related!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,881 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Rrrrrr2 wrote: »
    It’s bizarre how Holohan behaves right enough but he’s the de facto Taoiseach now unfortunately

No he isn't.

He is trying to protect the medical services from being overwhelmed.

That's their job.

There is nothing mystical about it.

Some here need to get a grip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Hilarious to see you telling people to get a grip.

I'm not the one being paranoid about plots and being conspiratorial (also this thing that's creeping in of mentioning people's personal lives that's not only distasteful but totally irrelevant)

No amount of frustration is going to change the fact we are in the middle of a pandemic and that requires measures to control the spread of infection.

He does be on Twitter a good bit! Also anything he says tends to be repeated by HSE Twitter account also and several media outlets push his comments via “promoted” tweets, which are tweets you’ll see regardless of who you follow. So even if you don’t follow him it’s almost impossible to avoid his face and musings on all matters alcoh.... ehemm, covid related!

Ah! I don't follow him, the HSE, RTE or Irish media in general. That's probably how I'm able to avoid him :D

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Pixies, Ride, Therapy?, Public Service Broadcasting, IDLES(x2), And So I Watch You From Afar

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Paddygreen

No he isn't.

That's their job.

I thought the record for things overwhelming the HSE was set around this time last year... And that was before the Reaper came to our shores for the grim gathering. I remember the golden age of the HSE when it functioned, made some sense, and wasn’t top heavy with useless parasites in suits milking it for every cent and perk they could get, That was just before I stopped taking magic mushrooms.

Paddygreen wrote: »
    I thought the record for things overwhelming the HSE was set around this time last year... And that was before the Reaper came to our shores for the grim gathering. I remember the golden age of the HSE when it functioned, made some sense, and wasn’t top heavy with useless parasites in suits milking it for every cent and perk they could get, That was just before I stopped taking magic mushrooms.

I'm not defending the HSE just so you know. I'm well aware of it's dysfunction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

Penfailed wrote: »
    Ah! I don't follow him, the HSE, RTE or Irish media in general. That's probably how I'm able to avoid him :D

Neither do I! But it’s the promoted tweets I can’t avoid (a business/person can pay to have a tweet sent to any feed they want regardless of who one follows) maybe there is someone I’m following which triggers the algorithm cause I can’t avoid his eggy head.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,127 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

Neither do I! But it’s the promoted tweets I can’t avoid (a business/person can pay to have a tweet sent to any feed they want regardless of who one follows) maybe there is someone I’m following which triggers the algorithm cause I can’t avoid his eggy head.

If you follow any news outlet his face pops up 6 or 7 times day and if you follow more than two you can double that.

You can't avoid him, he's omnipresent.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Hilarious or not, this is a man who not only allowed an anti- conference go ahead with over 1000 doctors from all around the world flying in but actively promoted it. This was held a week after the Irish 6 nations game was cancelled due to COVID. So, yes, he absolutely does have an agenda when it comes to stopping alcohol in this country.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Lundstram

No he isn't.

That's their job.

Destroying livelihoods, social society and increasing our already massive debt far outweigh protecting a health service which has not even come close to being overwhelmed.

A massive overreaction yet again from one of the safest countries regarding Covid19 in Europe. The constant negativity from Hoolahan is sickening. He makes my skin crawl.

I really wish NPHET would disappear now, do these numbers in private, advise the government in private. Just go away. The fame and noteriety has gone to Dr. Doom's head.

In 10 years time, we will look back at 2020/21 as a year of shame for our nation.

Lundstram wrote: »
    In 10 years time, we will look back at 2020/21 as a year of shame for our nation.

I won't. I'm not really one of those flag waving patriots that really gives a shíte about nationality or how the country is perceived by others. People have said numerous times over the various incarnations of this thread about Ireland being the laughing stock of Europe. Is it though? ...and if it is...is anyone bothered? I'm not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭screamer

Destroying livelihoods, social society and increasing our already massive debt far outweigh protecting a health service which has not even come close to being overwhelmed.

A massive overreaction yet again from one of the safest countries regarding Covid19 in Europe. The constant negativity from Hoolahan is sickening. He makes my skin crawl.

There’s a reason we’re the safest country in Europe, could you have a guess why???
    As someone who had to spend time in hospital recently with no support and no visits allowed even if my spouse, I feel zero sympathy for selfish ****s who flout the restrictions and don’t care about anyone else and act as spreaders of COVID. As long as they exist, and they do in their droves, we will be forced to lockdown various sectors and privileges, and at this stage so be it.
    The pressure the nurses are under in hospitals with COVID is shocking, it’s easy to dismiss it till you see it for yourself as I did this week. Fantastic people pushed to their limits, exhausted and working extra and over and beyond due to colleagues coming down with COVID. They deserve our support and respect and solidarity, cause we’re not all in this together, they are at the front line and **** is their thanks for all they are doing. But sure open the pubs.... yada yada, gibsh:tes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

I really wish NPHET would disappear now, do these numbers in private, advise the government in private. Just go away. The fame and noteriety has gone to Dr. Doom's head.

Are the members of NPHET readers of the Irish Times?

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/people/i-cried-for-days-the-businesses-that-shut-for-good-in-2020-1.4439644

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,127 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

screamer wrote: »
    There’s a reason we’re the safest country in Europe, could you have a guess why???

Safest country in Europe? Are you having a joke?
    We might have the lowest incidence of Covid in Europe but we also have the worst healthcare system; thanks to the same fools the covid worried people are taking advice from.

A massive overreaction yet again from one of the safest countries regarding Covid19 in Europe.

And why is that? Tell us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Lundstram

screamer wrote: »
    As someone who had to spend time in hospital recently with no support and no visits allowed even if my spouse, I feel zero sympathy for selfish ****s who flout the restrictions and don’t care about anyone else and act as spreaders of COVID. As long as they exist, and they do in their droves, we will be forced to lockdown various sectors and privileges, and at this stage so be it.
    The pressure the nurses are under in hospitals with COVID is shocking, it’s easy to dismiss it till you see it for yourself as I did this week. Fantastic people pushed to their limits, exhausted and working extra and over and beyond due to colleagues coming down with COVID. They deserve our support and respect and solidarity, cause we’re not all in this together, they are at the front line and **** is their thanks for all they are doing. But sure open the pubs.... yada yada, gibsh:tes
    Frontline my arse, they get paid a wage for doing their job. Our hospitals have seen their questest winter in a very long time. Absolute bullsh1t to suggest their run of their feet piling up dead bodies. Give me a break ffs. I've more respect for hospitality workers who are being treated like utter crap for 9 months now. The downright disrespect for their livelihoods has been a disgrace. I'd like to see €187k per year Dr. Doom live off €205-€350 per week.

The safest country in Europe yes, but the cost and damage that has done to society here won't be felt for a few months yet. You'll change your tune after budget 2022.

I've travelled to two different countries during this and the natives are aghast at our heavy handed restrictions.

Hoolahan been lauded as some sort of modern day saint. That man deserves no accolades, his track record is appalling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,857 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

One thing that is pissing me off is we have no plans made for the eventual return of crowds to events . This living with covid plan is a farce and does very little for this (Level 1 only permitts what 100 people)

Other countries drew up plans for this

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement