Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part VII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭JMNolan

I see Tony is using twitter again to contradict government policy.

Government has deemed it appropriate for restaurants to be open and Tony tells us all not to go there anyway

https://twitter.com/CMOIreland/status/1340580515351568385

I'm genuinely confused as to his role, does he work for the state (and therefore should not offer public advice which differs to the elected officials) or is he a free agent (not sure why we pay him, plenty people with equal expertise differ to his views)?

Government has deemed it appropriate for restaurants to be open and Tony tells us all not to go there anyway

The government have created a monster there.

They should never have allowed guys like this to become celebrities, doing the media rounds on radio and appearing on talk shows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,528 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

I won't answer the question because I don't think it would happen.

Well no.

If you are advocating for no restrictions you have to at least quantify that with what you perceive may be the effects of such a radical action.

If you could anchor it someway to reality it would be appreciated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,127 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

Boggles wrote: »
    Well no.

If you are advocating for no restrictions you have to at least quantify that with what you perceive may be the effects of such a radical action.

If you could anchor it someway to reality it would be appreciated.

I'm not advocating for no restrictions, I don't think anyone here is.

You're fundamentally getting off on the wrong foot by making that assumption and it's affecting your contributions to the thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,262 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I'm not advocating for no restrictions, I don't think anyone here is.

You're fundamentally getting off on the wrong foot by making that assumption and it's affecting your contributions to the thread.

You’re the same as everyone else here, bash the gov, Tony, and NPHET but when asked what we should be doing instead you have no answer. It’s just whinge whinge whinge

• Advertisement

MadYaker wrote: »
    You’re the same as everyone else here, bash the gov, Tony, and NPHET but when asked what we should be doing instead you have no answer. It’s just whinge whinge whinge

I can tell you what we should be doing, taking Tonys phone away from him, very inappropriate tweets

JMNolan wrote: »
    I'm genuinely confused as to his role, does he work for the state (and therefore should not offer public advice which differs to the elected officials) or is he a free agent (not sure why we pay him, plenty people with equal expertise differ to his views)?

He's been on a solo run for a long time now.
    He seemed to work in tandem and with Varadkar and Harris in March/April but since the government started easing restrictions in May it has been a battleground.

Because of the 'celebrity' status he built up in those early days he now realises he has a big enough voice and audience to undermine the government and force their hand when he feels he is not getting his way.

What’s he tweeting about? I don’t use Twitter. He is entitled to express his personal opinion even if it’s not in line with what the gov are recommending.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

So maybe it's time their own governments look after them. We have to look after our own right now. We will help when we can.

I’m sure it’s more nuanced than that, and I don’t wish to get into a debate on when providing aid is important and when it isn’t as we all have differing opinions. But simply put, the West’s actions weather we believe they are right or wrong will result in thousands if not millions more deaths in Africa and other third world countries who rely on our support! To one person an Irish life is more important than an African, to another, all lives carry equal value weather it be Covid or hunger that is their biggest threat

What’s he tweeting about? I don’t use Twitter. He is entitled to express his personal opinion even if it’s not in line with what the gov are recommending.

I wouldn't think he is entitled if he is doing it under the umbrella of his role as CMO, which is what he is doing. It's not the "Tony Holohan" twitter account he is using, it's the "CMO Ireland" twitter account.

• Advertisement

Like most people here I simply think that our government (and NPHET's) decision making has mostly been disproportionate to the health risks and reckless in terms of the damage it is causing the country (both in regard to other health issues and the economy).

You may notice this thread was quite quiet when we went to level 3 a few weeks ago and also when we had a relaxation of restrictions in July. That's because most people were happy enough at those points even though there were still a lot of restrictions in place.

I wouldn't think he is entitled if he is doing it under the umbrella of his role as CMO, which is what he is doing. It's not the "Tony Holohan" twitter account he is using, it's the "CMO Ireland" twitter account.

Yes and he is tagging the Department of health in his tweet.
    This is not a 'personal opinion' tweet

Yes and he is tagging the Department of health in his tweet.
    This is not a 'personal opinion' tweet

The gov and NPHET are meeting tomorrow or Tuesday, things may be about to change quickly

The gov and NPHET are meeting tomorrow or Tuesday, things may be about to change quickly

Be interesting to see who is running the country, the people voted in or big tone

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Its a cabinet meeting Tuesday to consider NPHET letter from end of the week. Its already widely leaked whats coming

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Paddygreen

All of ye with yer Christmas are killing Granny. Nobody cares about Grandad. A Grim Morning to you all guys as ye prove that ye can’t be trusted and as a result Mr Tony is getting angry and may have to cancel Christmas. In solidarity with the steady and unrelenting morbid march of DEATH through our community I suggest that we take our lights down (never put any up, Climate sin) and instead affix black material,to our doors, get up in the attic and bring down the Halloween box again. I have been playing Tomb of the Mutilated by Cannibal Corpse since the start of December, far more appropriate I would say considering how grim and dire things have become.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,644 ✭✭✭Penfailed

What western countries do in terms of restrictions has direct knock on effects to the economies of third world countries. It’s the reason why WHO was urging no more lockdowns

I've seen this posted loads of times in this thread. I think people read it here and believed it and then others repeat it without checking if it's actually true or not. It's not true.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thejournal.ie/world-health-organisation-lockdowns-5237323-Oct2020/%3famp=1

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Pixies, Ride, Therapy?, Public Service Broadcasting, IDLES(x2), And So I Watch You From Afar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Lundstram

*searches iTunes for Tomb of the Mutilated by Cannibal Corpse*

Penfailed wrote: »
    I've seen this posted loads of times in this thread. I think people read it here and believed it and then others repeat it without checking if it's actually true or not. It's not true.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thejournal.ie/world-health-organisation-lockdowns-5237323-Oct2020/%3famp=1

Direct quote from the article

"We have got to be able to show that we can go after the virus because lockdowns alone will not work."

I'm pretty sure all we've tried is lockdowns because we certainly have not tried the primary attack method which is (direct from your article and in context) "detect, test, isolate and care for every case, and trace every contact"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,856 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Its a cabinet meeting Tuesday to consider NPHET letter from end of the week. Its already widely leaked whats coming

Jesus 3 days before Christmas. Could they not of met tomorrow morning with the announcement Monday evening

I'll wear mask when needed, sanitise and social distance. I'm not hiding away, they can **** off

• Advertisement

That's not contradicting government policy. It's like saying government policy is to set the speed limit at 100km/h and Tony is telling people that during conditions with snow and ice, they should only make essential journeys.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Pixies, Ride, Therapy?, Public Service Broadcasting, IDLES(x2), And So I Watch You From Afar

He is determined to destroy the hospitality industry.

Must have a personal vendetta against someone

He's not trying to destroy the hospitality industry. I can understand why you might think so. It's not true though.

EDIT - Personal vendetta? Have you any basis for this claim?

That's not contradicting government policy. It's like saying government policy is to set the speed limit at 100km/h and Tony is telling people that during conditions with snow and ice, they should only make essential journeys.

Is it though? To me it's more like the government is saying "the road are open" and tony is saying "don't use the roads, that's where the accidents are".

He's not trying to destroy the hospitality industry. I can understand why you might think so. It's not true though.

He is though, how else can you explain

EpreNVdXUAEqxG2?format=png&name=small

I can tell you what we should be doing, taking Tonys phone away from him, very inappropriate tweets

How are they inappropriate?

How are they inappropriate?

There is no evidence of cases linked to restaurants yet the Irish CMO is saying don't go to restaurants. Peoples livelihoods are being ruined based on no evidence

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Is the bould Tony looking for flights from the UK to be cancelled, given whats happening over there? No?

Funny that.

"We have got to be able to show that we can go after the virus because lockdowns alone will not work."

I'm pretty sure all we've tried is lockdowns because we certainly have not tried the primary attack method which is (direct from your article and in context) "detect, test, isolate and care for every case, and trace every contact"

We all know lockdowns on their own don’t work. We have also been testing and contact tracing, wearing masks, social distancing etc I have no idea how you don’t know this.

Lockdowns reduce the number of contacts everyone has which makes contact tracing a lot easier and faster.

...which is completely different from, "the WHO were urging no more lockdowns."

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭BryanMartin21

It's really inappropriate for him to make his own comments like this which contradict the government policy. Supposedly only an advisor? Think again as he undermines the government constantly.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement