Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part VII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,009 ✭✭✭✭titan18

MadYaker wrote: »
    Just because there haven’t been outbreaks in restaurants and pubs doesn’t mean that the virus isn’t spreading in restaurants and pubs. When they do contact tracing they only look at the previous 48 hours afaik. It will spread anywhere that people are together.

Ya, we all know the contact tracing is crap so you can't really go off what they're coming up as the reasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,644 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Coybig_ wrote: »
    These venues were open across Europe for months while closed here. Try harder.

Try harder? Eh? Why are they closing them now?

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Pixies, Ride, Therapy?, Public Service Broadcasting, IDLES(x2), And So I Watch You From Afar

I would suspect that fergal is talking out his arse. The virus will spread anywhere that people are together so saying it’s not happening in restaurants is nonsense.

Of course it can spread in restaurants but if the restaurant is run well in line with restrictions then it should be relatively safe. I have been in restaurants 4-5 times since March. All but one of them with the wife, the other with one good friend over the summer when cases were very low.

I felt safer in each of the restaurants than I have walking outside down a main shopping street recently. The restaurants were well spaced out, plenty of sanitizer. The only unknown was if the servers were santizing their hands properly but they seemed very professional.

I understand it is the behaviour of others gathering in groups and not obeying advice that can be the problem but it is such a pity because the restaurants really can be a safe place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭Coybig_

Penfailed wrote: »
    Try harder? Eh? Why are they closing them now?

Why were they open across Europe for months but closed here?

Try harder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,262 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Try harder.

They weren’t. Every country in Europe has been in and out of lockdown which involved shutting bars and restaurants. Just like we did. They’re open here now but in Holland for example everything is now closed. Go back a few months and the opposite would be the case.

• Advertisement

Try harder.

Is it because our health service is shíte? Give me a clue?

Try harder to do what?

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Pixies, Ride, Therapy?, Public Service Broadcasting, IDLES(x2), And So I Watch You From Afar

They weren’t. Every country in Europe has been in and out of lockdown which involved shutting bars and restaurants. Just like we did. They’re open here now but in Holland for example everything is now closed. Go back a few months and the opposite would be the case.

"Wet pubs" were open across Europe over the Summer.

They were closed here.

Ireland has never had "wet pubs" open when "in and out of lockdown". We are the only country which has had them closed throughout this entire situation.

Try.
    Harder.

They were closed here.

Ireland has never had "wet pubs" open when "in and out of lockdown". We are the only country which has had them closed throughout this entire situation.

Try.
    Harder.

I was at the pub. They were open in September/October (except Dublin). We're not the only place this was happening. They have been closed for longer in the north.

Try harder to do what?

They were closed here.

Try.
    Harder.

Sigh this again. Nightclubs have been closed all over europe all summer, similar to wet pubs here. Pubs have had the guts of a year to build a kitchen and hire a chef, if they haven't done it its because they chose not too.

Typing nonsense and put try harder at the end of it doesn't make it any more logical, it just makes you look like a twat.

Sigh this again. Nightclubs have been closed all over europe all summer, similar to wet pubs here. Pubs have had the guts of a year to build a kitchen and hire a chef, if they haven't done it its because they chose not too.

Where did I mention nightclubs? Nightclubs and pubs are not the same thing.

Funnily enough that would have been apparent when typing them out because Nightclubs is not spelt the same as pubs.

• Advertisement

I was at the pub. They were open in September/October (except Dublin). We're not the only place this was happening. They have been closed for longer in the north.

Try harder to do what?

This is a lie. "Wet pubs" have not been open. You obviously know this.

Fair play. You're trying really hard though.

Where did I mention nightclubs? Nightclubs and pubs are not the same thing.

Funnily enough that would have been apparent when typing them out because Nightclubs is not spelt the same as pubs.

They don't have traditional style pubs in europe in the same numbers that we have them here. Nightclubs are a similar environment that they do have in europe and they have all been closed.

What point are you even trying to make here anyway?

Typing nonsense and put try harder at the end of it doesn't make it any more logical, it just makes you look like a twat.

Introducing nightclubs to compare with pubs out of nowhere because you cannot justify why pubs were closed here and open across Europe, makes you look like a bit of a twat.

Claiming that pubs should "build a kitchen and hire a chef" if they want to open makes you look like a lot more than a bit of a twat.

This is a lie. "Wet pubs" have not been open. You obviously know this.

Fair play. You're trying really hard though.

Eh? It's not a lie. They were open. I was at a 'wet' pub. The only place they weren't open was Dublin. You obviously don't know this...

Introducing nightclubs to compare with pubs out of nowhere because you cannot justify why pubs were closed here and open across Europe, makes you look like a bit of a twat.

Claiming that pubs should "build a kitchen and hire a chef" if they want to open makes you look like a lot more than a bit of a twat.

I think its pretty obvious why the pubs were closed here???? Do you find it confusing? I can explain it to you if you'd like.

They don't have traditional style pubs in europe in the same numbers that we have them here. Nightclubs are a similar environment that they do have in europe and they have all been closed.

Explain how pubs which serve alcohol without serving food here are somehow different to pubs which do the same across the Schengen?

Explain how nightclubs could be considered a remotely similar environment to pubs here, given that we too, shockingly have nightclubs. Are our nightclubs ultra-nightclubs and our pubs regular nightclubs, is that it?

You might tell the lads down in Waterville or Doolin about this - I don't know would they agree with their attendance at a local pub actually being them attending a nightclub.

I think its pretty obvious why the pubs were closed here???? Do you find it confusing? I can explain it to you if you'd like.

Yes please explain why the "wet pubs" were closed here when we had single figure cases, with no evidence of transmission or outbreaks linked to the hospitality industry and no chance whatsoever given to pubs to demonstrate their ability to be safe.

Explain how pubs which serve alcohol without serving food here are somehow different to pubs which do the same across the Schengen?

Explain how nightclubs could be considered a remotely similar environment to pubs here, given that we too, shockingly have nightclubs. Are our nightclubs ultra-nightclubs and our pubs regular nightclubs, is that it?

You might tell the lads down in Waterville or Doolin about this - I don't know would they agree with their attendance at a local pub actually being them attending a nightclub.

I literally haven't a clue what you're on about now.

Does anyone know what this guy is talking about?

Eh? It's not a lie. They were open. I was at a 'wet' pub. The only place they weren't open was Dublin. You obviously don't know this...

Any chance you could reply to this and confirm that I'm not a liar?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭Boggerman12

Try harder to do what?

The only reason the normal pubs opened in September was because most of the licenses are renewed at that time of yr.could be cynical and believing that this happened to get in much needed revenue for the state and once that had been achieved shut them down again.
    In the town I’m near there’s only one pub and the hotel open .the pubs have been shut and stay shut

• Advertisement

Yes please explain why the "wet pubs" were closed here when we had single figure cases, with no evidence of transmission or outbreaks linked to the hospitality industry and no chance whatsoever given to pubs to demonstrate their ability to be safe.

They were closed because they were deemed to be too high risk to be allowed open. Pubs weren't the only thing to suffer this fate. If they really wanted to open they could have started doing food to get around that, some did, some didn't. Seems reasonable enough to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,464 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Pubs have had the guts of a year to build a kitchen and hire a chef, if they haven't done it its because they chose not too.

Haha what baloney.

Small business owners should have increased overheads, it’s their fault they didn’t.

Meanwhile, the HSE, one of the highest funded health care facilities in the EU, doesn’t have to take any measures and will be justified by the likes of yourself.

If the HSE had proper procedures in place, 50% of hospital cases wouldn’t have contracted the virus in hospital

I literally haven't a clue what you're on about now.

Does anyone know what this guy is talking about?

Excuse me?

You introduced nightclubs to the conversation, because you couldn't win an argument over why pubs were closed here while open in Europe.
    Nightclubs have been closed all over europe all summer, similar to wet pubs here.

You then tried to create a comparison between European nightclubs and Irish pubs.

You then tried to claim that Europe does not have "traditional style pubs" in the same numbers that we do here with no evidence.

You again tried to make a comparison between Irish pubs and European Nightclubs.

I pointed out that it would be news to auld fellas in the likes of Waterville that they were actually attending something similar to a European nightclub when they thought they are going to their local pub for a quiet point.

TLDR - You are talking bull**** and deflecting at every possible opportunity, as you have been allowed to freely do for pages upon pages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,528 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

I'm not advocating for no restrictions, I don't think anyone here is.

Well you are, you have stated that we would have had the same results without restrictions.

That has obviously been proved utterly false time and time at this stage.

You told me that the government wouldn't let you "live a little" during the summer, when I pointed out to you that was false, you came back and said you were too busy anyway. :pac:

Is it just the case the lady doth protest too much?

It is isn't it?

Haha what baloney.

Small business owners should have increased overheads, it’s their fault they didn’t.

Meanwhile, the HSE, one of the highest funded health care facilities in the EU, doesn’t have to take any measures and will be justified by the likes of yourself.

If the HSE had proper procedures in place, 50% of hospital cases wouldn’t have contracted the virus in hospital

What do you think is worse from a business perspective, staying closed for a year and a half, or taking out a loan to build a kitchen and hire a chef and then open your doors for business? Increasing overheads is better than staying closed for 18 months. Why aren't more pubs going bust? Any wet pubs that are still closed can afford to wait this out. If they couldn't afford to wait it out they would be talking the necessary steps to resume trading.

They were closed because they were deemed to be too high risk to be allowed open. Pubs weren't the only thing to suffer this fate. If they really wanted to open they could have started doing food to get around that, some did, some didn't. Seems reasonable enough to me.

Can you explain why they were deemed too high a risk to open when we had single figure cases and no evidence of any outbreak linked to the hospitality industry?

You think it reasonable for pubs to have to fully install a kitchen and hire kitchen staff to allow them to open when they haven't been given a proper chance to prove they could safely operate? Sums you up.

Excuse me?

You introduced nightclubs to the conversation, because you couldn't win an argument over why pubs were closed here while open in Europe.

You then tried to create a comparison between European nightclubs and Irish pubs.

You then tried to claim that Europe does not have "traditional style pubs" in the same numbers that we do here with no evidence.

You again tried to make a comparison between Irish pubs and European Nightclubs.

I pointed out that it would be news to auld fellas in the likes of Waterville that they were actually attending something similar to a European nightclub when they thought they are going to their local pub for a quiet point.

TLDR - You are talking bull**** and deflecting at every possible opportunity, as you have been allowed to freely do for pages upon pages.

You sound very upset :(:( maybe its time to get off boards for a while?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,127 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

Nightclubs in Europe are similar to wet pubs in Ireland?
    That's a mad statement
    You've clearly never been to a nightclub on the continent.

Any chance you could reply to this and confirm that I'm not a liar?

No? No apology for calling me a liar? Coybig_?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,862 ✭✭✭hynesie08

What do you think is worse from a business perspective, staying closed for a year and a half, or taking out a loan to build a kitchen and hire a chef and then open your doors for business? Increasing overheads is better than staying closed for 18 months. Why aren't more pubs going bust? Any wet pubs that are still closed can afford to wait this out. If they couldn't afford to wait it out they would be talking the necessary steps to resume trading.

It's not an either/or though is it? Spend thousands upon thousands on a kitchen to be allowed open, get shut anyway......

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement