Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part VII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,080 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Lockdown is not wanted nor needed, we’ve tried it for months and it’s achieving very little outside of social and economic chaos.

Let people have their Christmas fun after months of oppression.

Things will level off and die down in the new year.

And for the love of god, start jabbing people!!!

Gotta admire your consistency. Doesnt make your mantra true but good dedication.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭Tork

And we will have it again
    We will indeed. But not so soon if people persist in behaving like a-holes. There is a price to be paid for behaving as if covid isn't here or is something that just kills grannies and fat people. We should know how this works by now.

Tork wrote: »
    We will indeed. But not so soon if people persist in behaving like a-holes. There is a price to be paid for behaving as if covid isn't here or is something that just kills grannies and fat people. We should know how this works by now.

People know. I doubt anyone could actually be that clueless. Its just they dont care.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭St.Spodo

How have the hospitality lobby not copped on to the fact that the only way they will get back to trading safely and for good is to get the virus aggressively suppressed first and to keep it there? They keep on going on as if Nphet's recommendations are what is standing in the way of them staying open and making money, but the reality is that no one would go within an ass's roar of a restaurant if they were allowed stay open until 6 Jan as cases rose to 1500-2000.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,464 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Tork wrote: »

Ok I’ll bite.

Covid primarily effects the elderly and those who are obese.

To deny that 10 months on is completely disingenuous.

It is of minimal risk to healthy people, certainly those healthy and below 65

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

The speed at which things have escalated in the last 24-48 hours probably has NPHET and George Lee wild with anticipation re what further restrictions can be introduced.
    So many unanswered questions.
    1. WHO states on Andrew Marr earlier that the U.K. variant was notified to them in September. Yet in the last 3 weeks, it seems to have taken on a new level of capabilities re transmission rate and speed. Is this because people have relaxed and are not social distancing, wearing masks or paying attention to the rules? Or is it in fact 70% more transmissible as claimed by the U.K. Government?
    2. Ireland is strangely quiet on this new variant, is it here? How is it not here when we've planes, trains and automobiles arriving in from the U.K. on a daily basis.
    3. Is this new strain really a major cause of concern, and is it causing the rapid increase in cases here, such as in Wexford, or are the U.K. Government attempting to cover the fact that they've made another shambles of their Covid strategy?
    4. The Irish people sacrificed a lot by remaining in Level 5 for six weeks in Oct/November. All for nothing thanks to the U.K and NI approach, and the fact that once you reopen, numbers shoot straight back up. The speech at which numbers are increasing is unexpected when you look at our reopening plan and forecasts.
    5. NPHET seem to be in full panic mode, I think Government need to sit down and given all the relative information in a clear and concise way, it should also be published to the public.
    6. Level 3 plus should be introduced after Christmas to see out this new wave and drop back to Level 3 to get us out of this Winter in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

It was in the numbers, 44 one day, 58 another, 30 something today.

The person that died was the son of thr deceased. 60 years old.

Do you have any links to data or media articles showing these cases were linked back to this? Your saying it was a funeral yea? So not a random trip to the pub yes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,855 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Do you have any links to data or media articles showing these cases were linked back to this? Your saying it was a funeral yea? So not a random trip to the pub yes?

Read the news will you. Funeral went to a pub afterwards. Party in marquee for 3 days.
    The priest has it and did two other funerals. Funeral director has it also.

https://amp.rte.ie/amp/1185489/

Also look up local media in the south east. Also look at Twitter.

War down there over it.

Read the news will you. Funeral went to a pub afterwards. Party in marquee for 3 days.

War down there over it.

So we’ve established it was a funeral and the aftersun that ensued and not a random trip to the pub for a substantial €9 meal between friends!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,528 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

36,000 cases in the UK today. With a vertical trajectory. Heading into Christmas week.

That is some monumental balls up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭Tork

Ok I’ll bite.

Covid primarily effects the elderly and those who are obese.

To deny that 10 months on is completely disingenuous.

It is of minimal risk to healthy people, certainly those healthy and below 65

I'm not denying it. I'm just pointing out that if people live their lives as if there is no covid, the rates go up, the powers that be move us into a higher tier and people get angry. The point I am making is that if people persist in doing the wrong thing, we all pay the price.

And I wouldn't say it's a minimal illness for younger people. I personally know a couple of younger healthy people who had a terrible time with it. One of them is still not quite breathing comfortably after the hammering his lungs got.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,644 ✭✭✭Penfailed

St.Spodo wrote: »
    How have the hospitality lobby not copped on to the fact that the only way they will get back to trading safely and for good is to get the virus aggressively suppressed first and to keep it there? They keep on going on as if Nphet's recommendations are what is standing in the way of them staying open and making money, but the reality is that no one would go within an ass's roar of a restaurant if they were allowed stay open until 6 Jan as cases rose to 1500-2000.

I would. I was in a few restaurants over the summer and couldn't fault them.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Pixies, Ride, Therapy?, Public Service Broadcasting, IDLES(x2), And So I Watch You From Afar

War down there over it.

Having read the link, (I replied before reading) this isn’t pubs operating the way they are supposed to! It’s literally a few breaking the rules, which as mentioned in the article is a huge minority! It was also published after the HSPC report, so next week we may have some clusters, it from “speakeasys” not pubs operating within the guidelines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,261 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Having read the link, (I replied before reading) this isn’t pubs operating the way they are supposed to! It’s literally a few breaking the rules, which as mentioned in the article is a huge minority! It was also published after the HSPC report, so next week we may have some clusters, it from “speakeasys” not pubs operating within the guidelines.

Yeah but a lot of people in this thread would like to see the restrictions relaxed to such a level where gatherings like that are allowed. Doesn’t matter to them that it directly contributed to one death and will likely lead to more.

MadYaker wrote: »
    Yeah but a lot of people in this thread would like to see the restrictions relaxed to such a level where gatherings like that are allowed. Doesn’t matter to them that it directly contributed to one death and will likely lead to more.

Gatherings like that are happening because they’re not allowed! I agree it shouldn’t happen, but when so much freedom is taken away, it’s going to happen... allow it happen in a controlled environment! Ie pubs with less restrictions but still measures in place, and instances of shabeens will reduce significantly! Increase restrictions and shabeens will increase, it may not be right but it will happen and no amount of finger waving will stop it

• Registered Users Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭JRant

War down there over it.

"Gardaí also discovered 'wet' pubs "opening for clandestine business" where pints were being served."

Sweet lord above, is this what we've come to, "clandestine pints" me hole. Where will the nonsense end.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Rrrrrr2

JRant wrote: »
    "Gardaí also discovered 'wet' pubs "opening for clandestine business" where pints were being served."

Sweet lord above, is this what we've come to, "clandestine pints" me hole. Where will the nonsense end.

Happened it be at home and watched some of Rte news this pm with the mother- the hysteria is being whipped into overdrive this week. Absolutely nothing new there of course but the new strain of Covid is a nugget of new found misery and sustenance for the Covideratti- I predict that’ll be this weeks focus of the mania- abd it’ll be “found” in Ireland- and ya know what that means folks “we must redouble our efforts...”

JRant wrote: »

When these scuzzy dives get put out of business who knows what other health and safety they ignore.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Gatherings like that are happening because they’re not allowed! I agree it shouldn’t happen, but when so much freedom is taken away, it’s going to happen... allow it happen in a controlled environment! Ie pubs with less restrictions but still measures in place, and instances of shabeens will reduce significantly! Increase restrictions and shabeens will increase, it may not be right but it will happen and no amount of finger waving will stop it

Exactly right, people will do what they want whether the government want it or not. Add in the fact that asymptomatic spread looks to be a red herring, especially after the Wuhan study (which is still the only verifiable that I've seen). We have a rise in numbers but what those numbers mean is pretty much irrelevant.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

St.Spodo wrote: »

I was in a restaurant today for lunch. Had a southern fried chicken burger. Was lovely. No hysterical bed-wetters around either.

• Advertisement

Absolutely. Even in the hell of the concentration camps people found little ways around to ease some of the misery- you’ll never get 100% control of Human beings. Despite how much the Covid mania brigade jump up and down with their masks and pitchforks

Rrrrrr2 wrote: »
    Absolutely. Even in the hell of the concentration camps people found little ways around to ease some of the misery- you’ll never get 100% control of Human beings. Despite how much the Covid mania brigade jump up and down with their masks and pitchforks

The irony is I wrote that post 4 pints deep in the local lol!

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭manniot2

I was in a restaurant today for lunch. Had a southern fried chicken burger. Was lovely. No hysterical bed-wetters around either.

Despite being two empty tables away a woman told me and my 2 kids under three that we were “too close” today in a cafe. Really really sad what has happened people. Poor kids going to grow up in a strange world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,131 ✭✭✭✭josip

Does anybody know if I have bought a dog in another county and when the dog gets to ten weeks are my allowed pick up the dog?

I'd go and try and collect it.
    I don't think anyone, guard or otherwise will know for sure if it's an essential trip, you could make a case on animal welfare grounds.
    Since you're acting in good faith, I think the worst that any guard will do is to turn you around.
    If they do, try again the next day using a different route.

manniot2 wrote: »
    Despite being two empty tables away a woman told me and my 2 kids under three that we were “too close” today in a cafe. Really really sad what has happened people. Poor kids going to grow up in a strange world.

Well the answer for her now isn’t worth repeating here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

josip wrote: »
    I'd go and try and collect it.
    I don't think anyone, guard or otherwise will know for sure if it's an essential trip, you could make a case on animal welfare grounds.
    Since you're acting in good faith, I think the worst that any guard will do is to turn you around.
    If they do, try again the next day using a different route.

Way back there was a man turned round by Gardaí as he was driving from Derry to Kerry to pick up a dog. Back in April.

He was stopped twice; tried again after the first refusal.

And he was jailed.

Please take care.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,131 ✭✭✭✭josip

Graces7 wrote: »
    Way back there was a man turned round by Gardaí as he was driving from Derry to Kerry to pick up a dog. Back in April.

He was stopped twice; tried again after the first refusal.

And he was jailed.

Please take care.

He lied to Gardai at the first checkpoint which was a big mistake.
    And he didn't make a 2nd separate attempt.
    He simply continued on and ignored the instruction to go home, which was when he was arrested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Lundstram

Banning flights from the UK now, basically telling Irish people to stay the fcuk away from Ireland, you're not seeing your loved ones for Christmas.

Our government only acting because a few other EU nations banned UK travel. We are governed by a truly weak and spineless group of idiots.

We have reached peak hysteria.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,879 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Lundstram wrote: »
    Banning flights from the UK now, basically telling Irish people to stay the fcuk away from Ireland, you're not seeing your loved ones for Christmas.

Our government only acting because a few other EU nations banned UK travel. We are governed by a truly weak and spineless group of idiots.

We have reached peak hysteria.

Erm, countries across Europe and outside Europe are banning flights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 746 ✭✭✭aziz

[QUOTE=Lundstram;1156728

We have reached peak hysteria.[/QUOTE]

I wouldn’t say we have yet,a lot more of this ****show to come

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement