Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part VII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Rrrrrr2

namloc1980 wrote: »
    No point in having 24/7 vaccinations when we don't have the vaccine to administer. The first batch will arrive at the weekend with just 9,750 doses.

We clearly- when we have the vaccines. Is that all there is? Jesus wept

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,323 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Rrrrrr2 wrote: »

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Production amounts are tiny for othe first while. A few months ago people were talking about 30,000 doses in January.

This is why so many people are constantly warning us that things aren't going back to normal straight away.

We dotn need a 24/7 emergency plan to vaccinate people when we only have piddling supplies.

It's slow and steady for 12 months before everyone that wants to get vaccinated gets vaccinated.

Maybe 6 months if 3 or 4 other vaccines get approved.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,038 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

rusty cole wrote: »
    Tony tell the public to get informed by the HSE and other reliable credible sources. He maintains that people will be misled by Anti-Vaccine campaigners with screwed up agendas. OK fair enough.

So here's an instance below where irish women were kept in the dark about information which may have extended or even saved their lives, information of the most sensitive and important nature imaginable and yet it was withheld from them and not only that, they had to take the HSE to court regarding it.
    So Tony will happily chirp about anything else lest the information required ever be the truth. Ask us so you can be informed and we'll tell you what we need you to know, believe, buy etc.

https://extra.ie/2018/05/16/news/irish-news/tony-holohan-knew-of-cervical-check-memo

He has a huge credibility problem and that's the big issue with peoples opinion of him nowadays I think. You don't need to get personal to damage his already tarnished reputation, what's worse is he has the job despite this.

I also find it funny that when it suits some people in the media, they'll Hold the like of robert DeNiro on high as a beacon to ward off the Donald (Trump)..
    I wonder though, with all the big celebs rolling up their sleeves, will anyone shine a light on Bobby's views about Vaccines in general??

https://www.thejournal.ie/robert-de-niro-vaccines-3242529-Feb2017/

Mod:

I'm not going to post another warning on this - stop bringing up the cervical cancer issues in this thread.

It's in the OP not to discuss the issue, if you want to discuss it, go to another forum and start a thread on it, it is not Covid related.

Threadbans will follow if people cannot follow this instruction

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Micky 32

St Patrick's Day 2022 maybe for the Western world and many years for the rest of the planet.

The amount of shyte posted on this forum is laughable. But carry on.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,397 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Lockdowns are great if you believe the only thing which matters is Covid.

They're great if you think the only consequences of lockdowns are a reduction in transmission rates.

The long-term effects of these lockdowns have never been questioned in any meaningful way by our political, burocratic or media establishments.

There is simply nobody asking any questions about the billions we are spending and what the medium to long-term consequences are. There are no cost benefits being produced, considered or debated.

What is happening is quite simply the biggest abdication of responsibility from vote-chasing politicians I've ever witnessed.

The mistake this thread makes all the time is thinking there is a choice. Northern Ireland dithered and delayed on locking down in autumn and ended up with its health service hanging on, doctors treating patients in ambulances in the carpark.

People dieing in a hospital corridor or doctors applying battleground triage to the severely ill simply isn't a choice you can make so that you can prioritise borrowing less or keeping a higher percentage of people employed. And in this scenario desired in this thread, you're still borrowing and you're still providing dole to a much higher percentage of the workforce relative to 2019 because consumer confidence is through the floor as people listen to exhausted doctors pleading about the battleground triage piece you chose to run with.

You think governments and politicians have a choice. They don't. The rest flows from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

Lockdowns are great if you believe the only thing which matters is Covid.

They're great if you think the only consequences of lockdowns are a reduction in transmission rates.

The long-term effects of these lockdowns have never been questioned in any meaningful way by our political, burocratic or media establishments.

There is simply nobody asking any questions about the billions we are spending and what the medium to long-term consequences are. There are no cost benefits being produced, considered or debated.

What is happening is quite simply the biggest abdication of responsibility from vote-chasing politicians I've ever witnessed.

That first point in bold is debatable.... we are on course to having 3 lockdowns in a period of 10 months. We treat covid, every lockdown, as if its some sort of a new super virus which spreads in barbers, retail, restaurants and ofcourse the pubs. Latter being responsible for most covid spread if you tune in to CMO.

2nd point - you are asking for difficult things unfortunately. People like easy simple stuff. Cases are high tell them lockdown is needed. Cases are low tell them how lucky they are to have pubs that serve food being opened.

Worst thing is when it becomes clear that deaths from other causes caused by this covid madness are far greater than deaths with covid, large chunk of population will still be telling their children of what a great job NPHET and Irish government have done during the deadly ebola like pandemic of 2020 by avoiding hundreds of thousands of deaths.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,261 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

That first point in bold is debatable.... we are on course to having 3 lockdowns in a period of 10 months. We treat covid, every lockdown, as if its some sort of a new super virus which spreads in barbers, retail, restaurants and ofcourse the pubs. Latter being responsible for most covid spread if you tune in to CMO.

2nd point - you are asking for difficult things unfortunately. People like easy simple stuff. Cases are high tell them lockdown is needed. Cases are low tell them how lucky they are to have pubs that serve food being opened.

Worst thing is when it becomes clear that deaths from other causes caused by this covid madness are far greater than deaths with covid, large chunk of population will still be telling their children of what a great job NPHET and Irish government have done during the deadly ebola like pandemic of 2020 by avoiding hundreds of thousands of deaths.

You’re not in touch with reality

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,038 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

MadYaker wrote: »
    You’re not in touch with reality

Mod:

Threadbanned

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,749 ✭✭✭degsie

I presume schools will continue to be immune from the new Covid strain?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,644 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Bambi wrote: »
    We closed that border tout suite to protect the National Herd, not a peep about the Belfast Agreement from anyone

I dont really understand why people immediately try to make up excuses for the government, especially bad ones. :confused:

Eh? The border wasn't closed then either.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Pixies, Ride, Therapy?, Public Service Broadcasting, IDLES(x2), And So I Watch You From Afar

Actually more than three- we had very restrictive local county ones for very long periods including Dublin. And I would strongly argue we never even left the first one- major restrictions have continued since March right the way through.
    The mania is off the Richter scale- they’d be better had they just cancelled Christmas to hell as it’s turned into an utter disaster with no one knowing where they stand re travel and business arrangements. Just a constant state of panic where no one know what’s going to happen next

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭risteard7

I should have went to Wuhan for a safe Christmas! It seems normal over there now. Strange old virus

• Registered Users Posts: 11,058 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

risteard7 wrote: »
    I should have went to Wuhan for a safe Christmas! It seems normal over there now. Strange old virus

So you can stand there mandatory lockdowns better then our guidelines

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,363 ✭✭✭facehugger99

degsie wrote: »
    I presume schools will continue to be immune from the new Covid strain?

Initial indications are that the €9 substantial meal continues to prove effective at combating infections from this deadly new strain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

https://twitter.com/vincekearney/status/1340976651992264705?s=20

The curtain twitchers strike again .... imagine the mind of the little rat tweeting this ...

The rollout of the vaccine on a big scale is going to take a lot longer than people think.

I say the mast majority know it well take months (May I say) before it is fully rolled out

The curtain twitchers strike again .... imagine the mind of the little rat tweeting this ...

Well it is the RTE News doing the news what you want him to ignore it because you do not want to see it

That, "little rat," is the northern correspondent for RTE. It's news.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Pixies, Ride, Therapy?, Public Service Broadcasting, IDLES(x2), And So I Watch You From Afar

If there was an actual will and drive from the useless pen pushers in Nphet and government an emergency plan would swing into immediate effect, vaccinating 24/7. Such has been the brevity and depth of restrictions over the past year nothing less should do in my opinion.
    Instead more of the same arse covering and finger waving from the new normal brigade is almost we will get. And excuses as long as your arm as to why that couldn’t possibly happen

No one is vaccinating 24/7 not Britian not America. and it should not be done like that. It should be done in a controlled orderly manner. Also we just don't get all the vaccines for all people together. It takes time to get and administer properly

• Advertisement

Penfailed wrote: »
    That, "little rat," is the northern correspondent for RTE. It's news.

He is indeed- which makes this kind of hysterical reporting all the more disturbing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,943 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

He is indeed- which makes this kind of hysterical reporting all the more disturbing

The reg of a car doesn't mean it has come from there.

I have a D but live in Donegal.

But sure that would make it less dramatic.
    Those people arriving into Belfast are breaking the law in the UK as they were told not to travel under Tier 4 restrictions, perhaps of interviewing them and asking is it good to be back home for Xmas, they should be confronted as to why they are breaking the restrictions and risking bringing a more infectious strain of the virus home and to their relatives?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,528 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

I imagine the young children will easily understand that restrictions prevented large scale deaths.

A fact that seems utterly lost on a quite vocal few.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,363 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Boggles wrote: »
    I imagine the young children will easily understand that restrictions prevented large scale deaths.

A fact that seems utterly lost on a quite vocal few.

I'm sure when they grow to adulthood they'll be more than happy to service the 10's of billions of debt that'll be presented to them, while paying for your pension too of course.

Be sure to explain to them about the great hero of the fight, Dr Tony, who faced down this apocalyptic killer of a virus.

I'm sure they'll understand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    The mistake this thread makes all the time is thinking there is a choice. Northern Ireland dithered and delayed on locking down in autumn and ended up with its health service hanging on, doctors treating patients in ambulances in the carpark.

You mean a choice like the one a senior NPHET figure promised in July when he claimed we should be able to avoid future national lockdowns because of our much improved health infrastructure and testing and tracing, which would allow us to quickly identify and isolate clusters at a local level. That's definitely something that existed.
    Or a choice like spending time and money developing a well thought out plan for various pandemic scenarios, with clearly defined criteria for each and clearly established triggers for moving between them. Which is what the Taoiseach promised us standing outside the Dail, after our helath minister went to work on launch day with symptoms. Again, absolute fabrication.

There was certainly no dithering back in March when nursing homes decided visits needed to be curtailed for residents' safety. No dithering either on Tony's part who immediately insisted there was no need for such measures. It's actually sickening that he's still in charge of our Covid response.
    Nothing's changed either - a school principal tries to close their school early to protect everyone involved, and overruled by the HSE who clearly know better.

This is all utterly predictable at this point (I think someone actually did on this thread a few days ago). Schools finish tomorrow. They'll close hospitality from Thursday, then the drop in 7-10 days can be claimed as being down to the lockdown.
    The only bright spot is they'll have to open something up mid-January as they'll need a scapegoat for when the numbers ramp up after the schools go back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Lundstram

On a day where the hysteria lovers are in overdrive, Ireland announces a whopping 0 deaths from this deadly disease. Irish people in the UK are banned from coming home. Banned from seeing their loved ones, a lot of them haven't seen their Mothers, Fathers etc since March. 0 deaths. 0. A grave situation we were told by our saviour, Mr. Hoolahan earlier today. Grave!

Ireland, the land of a thousand welcomes. Not even the Irish are welcome anymore.

What have we become.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,853 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

RTE all doom and gloom even with the great news of the vaccine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,749 ✭✭✭degsie

Not to put too fine a point on it, we are screwed!

How is it hysterical?

I've noticed this a lot in this thread. I see facts where the open up crew see a frenzy and hysteria. It's a strange phenomenon.

• Advertisement

Actually more than three- we had very restrictive local county ones for very long periods including Dublin. And I would strongly argue we never even left the first one- major restrictions have continued since March right the way through.
    The mania is off the Richter scale- they’d be better had they just cancelled Christmas to hell as it’s turned into an utter disaster with no one knowing where they stand re travel and business arrangements. Just a constant state of panic where no one know what’s going to happen next

Who's hysterical?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement