Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part VII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭storker

Penfailed wrote: »
    Who's hysterical?

Those wailing and gnashing their teeth over every reminder that no, things aren't normal and not to get complacent. Meanwhile, others are following the restrictions and living their lives as best they can. Of course in the imaginations of the frothy-mouthed they're living in bunkers or cellars, twitching curtains etc, but I suppose they need to tell themselves that when they're the ones spending their lives on an internet bulletin board loudly denying reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,058 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

I'm sure when they grow to adulthood they'll be more than happy to service the 10's of billions of debt that'll be presented to them, while paying for your pension too of course.

Be sure to explain to them about the great hero of the fight, Dr Tony, who faced down this apocalyptic killer of a virus.

I'm sure they'll understand.

We have gone from the bankers to Dr. Tony for our national debts who is next. Need proof on the 10+ billions going on our debt

• Registered Users Posts: 11,058 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Lundstram wrote: »
    On a day where the hysteria lovers are in overdrive, Ireland announces a whopping 0 deaths from this deadly disease. Irish people in the UK are banned from coming home. Banned from seeing their loved ones, a lot of them haven't seen their Mothers, Fathers etc since March. 0 deaths. 0. A grave situation we were told by our saviour, Mr. Hoolahan earlier today. Grave!

Ireland, the land of a thousand welcomes. Not even the Irish are welcome anymore.

What have we become.

How many deaths have we had for the previous 2 weeks. There mothers and father or grandparents maybe the exact people who are at a higher risk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,080 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Penfailed wrote: »
    Who's hysterical?

The usuals exagerrating and creating stuff.
    On a day where the hysteria lovers are in overdrive, Ireland announces a whopping 0 deaths from this deadly disease. Irish people in the UK are banned from coming home. Banned from seeing their loved ones, a lot of them haven't seen their Mothers, Fathers etc since March. 0 deaths. 0. A grave situation we were told by our saviour, Mr. Hoolahan earlier today. Grave!

Ireland, the land of a thousand welcomes. Not even the Irish are welcome anymore.

What have we become.
    I'm sure when they grow to adulthood they'll be more than happy to service the 10's of billions of debt that'll be presented to them, while paying for your pension too of course.

Be sure to explain to them about the great hero of the fight, Dr Tony, who faced down this apocalyptic killer of a virus.

I'm sure they'll understand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

What have we become.

Sensible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

Great to see Newstalk calling out the people wailing for lockdowns. People need to calm the **** down, there's no need to be drama queens.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,038 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Coybig_ wrote: »
    Probably going to get banned because that's par for the course in here, but can somebody tell me why on earth the mods are banning people for talking about the cervical cancer scandal?

Past behaviour is used as an indicator of future behaviour in just about every single walk of life. You go for a job interview people look at your CV. You apply for college people look at your past exam results. You go for health insurance they look at your health history.

Tony Holohan is the man trusted to make decisions which are among the most important decisions that will ever be made in the history of the state.

These decisions relate to the relaxation of restrictions or the worsening of those restrictions.

Surely his past decisions are completely relevant in determining whether he is capable of making the best decisions for the country?

It would be like stumbling into a thread on the World Cup in the Soccer forum and seeing bans handed out to people who talked about the last Euros.

It would be like stumbling into a thread on Tenet in the films subforum and seeing bans handed out to people who talked about Inception.

It's absolutely absurd, completely and utterly draconian and a gross misuse of moderator power.

Mod:

This is the Covid forum. Go and start a thread in a relevant forum if you want to discuss the cervical cancer issues.

Don't post in this thread again.

Any issues, my PM inbox is open

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭Tork

GazzaL wrote: »
    Great to see Newstalk calling out the people wailing for lockdowns. People need to calm the **** down, there's no need to be drama queens.

Who is WAILING for lockdowns?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭hamburgham

What have we become.

I have given up trying to reason with anyone. I just feel like I am living in a parallel universe. There’s the Ireland I’m told I’m living in where my life is at risk if I go out for a cup of coffee and there’s reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

Boggles wrote: »
    I imagine the young children will easily understand that restrictions prevented large scale deaths.

A fact that seems utterly lost on a quite vocal few.

No they wont. As there are many other countries who did not lockdown and did not experience 10% of population being wiped out. or even 1%.

There is 1 country in particular that gave 2 fingers to the whole hysteria right from the beginning, the same country is on course to have less deaths in 2020 than in 2018.

So no, lockdowns do not prevent large scale deaths from covid. They do however cause increases in deaths from suicides, cancer etc. If anything the young children will ask how did you, me, all of us allow this to continue for as long as it has.

• Advertisement

Which program was that, I missed it. It sure as hell wasn’t Pat’s show.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

hamburgham wrote: »
    I have given up trying to reason with anyone. I just feel like I am living in a parallel universe. There’s the Ireland I’m told I’m living in where my life is at risk if I go out for a cup of coffee and there’s reality.

If you read RTE, Irish times, the Journal you ll think we are close to being extinct from deadly covid.

If you go outside and see all the old people having time of their lives drinking coffee, shopping in Dunnes home dept, walking around TkMaxx, you ll really start to question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

Thats me wrote: »
    Do you believe it is possible to prevent transmission in such places?

You on another thread called for “isolation camps where kids can live with their teachers” so I just can’t take you seriously, sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

hamburgham wrote: »
    Which program was that, I missed it. It sure as hell wasn’t Pat’s show.

https://twitter.com/NewstalkFM/status/1341061679199744005

That’s it, it’s mob rule and as has been often said here, loads of people are enjoying this. I personally love WFH but am horrified at what this is doing to others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,363 ✭✭✭facehugger99

The grim predictability of the cycle is depressing.

The finger-wagging and apocalyptic mutterings from Holohan, the amplification of the hysteria from RTE and finally the cowardly capitulation from the politicians, who will once more sacrifice viable businesses and thousands of jobs just to cover their arses.

Meanwhile in the real world, a couple of hundred people are in hospital with Covid and a couple of dozen in ICU. How many of these people actually caught it while in there? - fcuk knows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,127 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

The grim predictably of the cycle is depressing.

The finger-wagging and apocalyptic mutterings from Holohan, the amplification of the hysteria from RTE and finally the cowardly capitulation from the politicians, who will one more sacrifice viable business and thousands of jobs just to cover their arses.

Meanwhile in the real world, a couple of hundred people are in hospital with Covid and a couple of dozen in ICU. How many of these people actually caught it while in there? - fcuk knows.

Level 5 for Tony and nothing else

https://www.independent.ie/world-news/coronavirus/chief-medical-officer-holohan-tells-government-that-level-5-restrictions-will-be-needed-after-christmas-39889726.html

Nobody likes Level 5 but the rising numbers are proof that we can't have nice things.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭WhiteMemento9

Good to see sensible measures being put in place. We will have a vaccine roll soon enough which should put an end to all this over time but for now, we don't really have a choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,464 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Tork wrote: »
    Nobody likes Level 5 but the rising numbers are proof that we can't have nice things.

What a strange statement

True what I’ve heard said

Convince people something the enemy is dangerous and they will beg for protection at all costs

• Advertisement

What a strange statement

True what I’ve heard said

Convince people something the enemy is dangerous and they will beg for protection at all costs

No. It is proof that when restrictions are relaxed, people spread the virus and the rates go up. Then the politicians/NPHET step in and rein us back in again. It doesn't have to be this way but people can't help themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭WhiteMemento9

We have managed this so well with lockdowns at the right time I feel people have little understanding of exponential growth. You would think it would be enough to see it happen in other countries but unless people experience things for themselves they generally tend to not grasp these things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,397 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

risteard7 wrote: »
    I should have went to Wuhan for a safe Christmas! It seems normal over there now. Strange old virus

China back to normal is proof positive that lockdown works. We haven't had the stomach for the actions required to tackle this thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,464 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

We have managed this so well with lockdowns at the right time I feel people have little understanding of exponential growth. You would think it would be enough to see it happen in other countries but unless people experience things for themselves they generally tend to not grasp these things.

A huge misunderstanding exists among many, including yourself, on how Ireland’s population demographics are the reason why 100k citizens over the age of 65 haven’t died with Covid in Ireland.

It still seems many believe, the hardest hit region in northern Italy which had one of the worlds oldest age profiles and 10 million citizens in an area the size of Munster, is at the same risk as a country like Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

So you wouldn't deem the CMO an essential worker?

Is going on the Late Late essential??

• Registered Users Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭JRant

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    China back to normal is proof positive that lockdown works. We haven't had the stomach for the actions required to tackle this thing.

Thanks but no thanks. If you want to live in a country that treats it's people like the dirt on the bottom of a shoe then there are flights available to China any time you want.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

So you wouldn't deem the CMO an essential worker?

He's not a frontline worker. He doesn't need to physically be in his office in Miesian plaza every day staring out at car parks and tut tutting at them being fuller than in March.
    There's very little he does that could not be done remotely.
    He should lead by example if he doesn't want people going to the office.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,080 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

JRant wrote: »
    Thanks but no thanks. If you want to live in a country that treats it's people like the dirt on the bottom of a shoe then there are flights available to China any time you want.

Were you not demanding a return to normal?

Tork wrote: »

Last time numbers rose like this, hospitals did not get overwhelmed and very few people died.
    Why are rising numbers so important?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,644 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Is going on the Late Late essential??

He was asked to go on. He decided that it would be a great way to get his message out. Why wouldn't he?

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Pixies, Ride, Therapy?, Public Service Broadcasting, IDLES(x2), And So I Watch You From Afar

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement