Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part VII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭WhiteMemento9

A huge misunderstanding exists among many, including yourself, on how Ireland’s population demographics are the reason why 100k citizens over the age of 65 haven’t died with Covid in Ireland.

It still seems many believe, the hardest hit region in northern Italy which had one of the worlds oldest age profiles and 10 million citizens in an area the size of Munster, is at the same risk as a country like Ireland.

The protection of people in risk categories is only one level of a multifaceted equation on which these decisions are based.

I don't have any misunderstanding because I don't have an understanding in the first place. I am not an expert in population distribution/density, R rates, infectious diseases, etc so I tend to lean away from making wild speculative claims. I am guessing you are not an expert in any of these things either. So instead of reading a few articles and jumping conclusions why not trust in the people who are experts in this field and have access to proper data/models etc. This armchair expert phenomenon that has arisen in the wake of the information age born from the internet has become incredibly dangerous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,127 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

I see Mr T was 'gravely concerned' again today.

You could take him seriously if you hadn't heard it 5,000 times before.

https://twitter.com/ZaraKing/status/1341077961928261634

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

How many deaths have we had for the previous 2 weeks. There mothers and father or grandparents maybe the exact people who are at a higher risk

We won’t know for 3 months apparently. How many will be denotified by then??

I see Mr T was 'gravely concerned' again today.

You could take him seriously if you hadn't heard it 5,000 times before.

https://twitter.com/ZaraKing/status/1341077961928261634

You seem to be trying to imply that because someone has been said something a number of times this somehow makes it less true. There is no correlation between the two and you linking them like one follows the other is silly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,464 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

The protection of people in risk categories is only one level of a multifaceted equation on which these decisions are based.

I don't have any misunderstanding because I don't have an understanding in the first place. I am not an expert in population distribution/density, R rates, infectious diseases, etc so I tend to lean away from making wild speculative claims. I am guessing you are not an expert in any of these things either. So instead of reading a few articles and jumping conclusions why not trust in the people who are experts in this field and have access to proper data/models etc. This armchair expert phenomenon that has arisen in the wake of the information age born from the internet has become incredibly dangerous.

You were handing out the warnings on here.

I assumed you were well versed on the topic

• Advertisement

Penfailed wrote: »
    He was asked to go on. He decided that it would be a great way to get his message out. Why wouldn't he?

Surely going to govt buildings would be the best way to get his message, as government advisor, out to the government. It’s not his job to preach to the masses, that’s a personal crusade of his, and is in no way essential.

You were handing out the warnings on here.

I assumed you were well versed on the topic

I haven't made any warnings. When the experts decided it was safe to remove some of the restrictions I thought it was great to get some freedom safe in the knowledge that they deemed it appropriate. The situation has changed and as such, I am glad to see them now take decisive action in the other direction while also being aware that is devasting for many people.

See some of us live in a grey area and we aren't in some camp with a side like this is a football match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Tork wrote: »
    Nobody likes Level 5 but the rising numbers are proof that we can't have nice things.

Virus aside, do you have problems with people having nice things in general? I certainly won’t miss these type of arrogant condescending posts once the vaccine works it’s magic.

You seem to be trying to imply that because someone has been said something a number of times this somehow makes it less true. There is no correlation between the two and you linking them like one follows the other is silly.

If someone keeps telling you the world is falling in and it never actually happens then eventually any sane person would surely stop listening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Micky 32

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    China back to normal is proof positive that lockdown works. We haven't had the stomach for the actions required to tackle this thing.

No need now for China communist lockdowns.. EU has approved vaccines.

• Advertisement

I saw someone refer to Covid deaths as “otherwise avoidable” and I found that very interesting... because surely you could consider so many deaths as avoidable.

We could ban cigarettes, alcohol and make pubs/clubs illegal.
    We could ban any dangerous thrill seeking activities.
    We could ban any sport with a slight risk of death such as motor racing, boxing, MMA.
    We could lock down every year to avoid flu season.
    We could ban cars to avoid road deaths.

Strange how we have managed to live so long with all the above but we absolutely must stop Covid deaths...

If someone keeps telling you the world is falling in and it never actually happens then eventually any sane person would surely stop listening.

That would depend. If the guy was a well-regarded expert in the world falling down field then we would probably have to look at ways to mitigate the risk.

That would depend. If the guy was a well-regarded expert in the world falling down field then we would probably have to look at ways to mitigate the risk.

tenor.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

I saw someone refer to Covid deaths as “otherwise avoidable” and I found that very interesting... because surely you could consider so many deaths as avoidable.

We could ban any sport with a slight risk of death such as motor racing, boxing, MMA.

Strange how we have managed to live so long with all the above but we absolutely must stop Covid deaths...

It’s bizarre, people accept that death and sickness are an unfortunate part of life unless it’s covid related, in which case it must be stopped at all costs, at the expense of looking after other illnesses and destroying other lives and futures. But all that is ok and an acceptable sacrifice so long as we ‘save one life’ from covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,058 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

We won’t know for 3 months apparently. How many will be denotified by then??

So you saying we won't know if it is zero today for 3 month incase there was a death and it has not been notified?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭JRant

pjohnson wrote: »
    Were you not demanding a return to normal?

Isn't that what everyone wants?

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

If I was the owner of a restaurant right now about to be closed again I'd be refusing to reopen until I had an absolute guarantee from Government of not being closed again.
    And I'd be demanding 100% compensation for all money lost.

Restaurants, cafes and Pubs have been treated with absolute disdain

• Registered Users Posts: 11,058 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

How many of those are an easily transmitted disease.
    We have law for some of the above to avioid deaths unfortunately you have people who flaunt those laws that causes deaths

SusieBlue wrote: »
    It’s bizarre, people accept that death and sickness are an unfortunate part of life unless it’s covid related, in which case it must be stopped at all costs, at the expense of looking after other illnesses and destroying other lives and futures. But all that is ok and an acceptable sacrifice so long as we ‘save one life’ from covid.

Had the same argument with a friend last night. His stance was that 2m deaths with Covid in a year meant the world HAD to be locked down.

When I countered that there’s 1.35m deaths per years from road traffic accidents, and we should ban cars, he came back with “we have laws for cars”. He’d nothing to say when I stated the laws weren’t working if we still have 1.35m avoidable deaths each year.

These people seem to have lost their logic gene.

JRant wrote: »

No, there is this nefarious gang of people who are loving the lockdowns and the absolute joy it has brought to their lives. They want to live like this forever. *

*This thread has informed me of such people. I don't actually know anyone like this IRL.

• Advertisement

So you saying we won't know if it is zero today for 3 month incase there was a death and it has not been notified?

Yes. You have 3 months to register a death. Have you never wondered why you see 7 deaths from October etc popping up occasionally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Lundstram

Not content with treating Irish citizens in the UK as lepers, they continue to treat honest hard working people in the hospitality industry like sh1t. They don't matter.

Think Van Morrision said it on Twitter, "always remember the people making these decisions have not missed a pay cheque since March".

In fact, our boys got two raises.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,080 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

JRant wrote: »

Just making sure. You want everything back to normal yet you dont agree with eradicating the virus.

Sounds about right actually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,674 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

They've added barbers and hairdressers now to the closing list ffs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭CCP24

pjohnson wrote: »
    Just making sure. You want everything back to normal yet you dont agree with eradicating the virus.

Sounds about right actually.

I'm no expert but don't all virus's mutate, the common cold & flu mutates that's why there will never be a cure for it? How do you think this virus will be eradicated?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭JRant

No, there is this nefarious gang of people who are loving the lockdowns and the absolute joy it has brought to their lives. They want to live like this forever. *

*This thread has informed me of such people. I don't actually know anyone like this IRL.

Maybe we should follow the science and WHO advice. No proof of asymptomatic spread. PCR tests being used for a purpose they were never designed for.

A moral panic has taken hold that may take a generation to undo.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Normal One

Back to this Level 3++ nonsense. Or maybe it's level 5 lite. Poor old level 4 is never getting a gig here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

They've added barbers and hairdressers now to the closing list ffs.

One of the safest industries, who have had little to no cases or clusters traced back to them, who have invested a fortune and have taken huge financial hits on their revenue to facilitate social distancing between clients, and they are rewarded by being shut down. Again.
    It’s gone beyond a total joke now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

Going way overboard with Level 5 again. Why not do an actual level 3 long term and restrict household visits also. The cost of Level 5 is too great. Where is the evidence in relation to this new strain that we need it, which has NPHET bouncing the Government into severe restrictions.
    Cillian DeGascun said today he hasn’t YET seen any evidence in relation to the new strain being so much more transmissible. Are they hiding something?

• Advertisement

How many of those are an easily transmitted disease.
    We have law for some of the above to avioid deaths unfortunately you have people who flaunt those laws that causes deaths

Something like 1 in 2 will get cancer. Smoking causes cancer among many other harmful diseases such as heart disease and COPD. Second hand smoke as well is extremely harmful.

Smoking has contributed to millions of deaths.

Doesn’t matter though, not Covid and they make lots of money.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement