Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part VII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Normal One

Had the same argument with a friend last night. His stance was that 2m deaths with Covid in a year meant the world HAD to be locked down.

When I countered that there’s 1.35m deaths per years from road traffic accidents, and we should ban cars, he came back with “we have laws for cars”. He’d nothing to say when I stated the laws weren’t working if we still have 1.35m avoidable deaths each year.

These people seem to have lost their logic gene.
    But hang on, I saw a 15 second clip of someone acting the bollix in a car so all roads must be shut down. Can't possibly be any other way.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Pitch n Putt

So the plan is...

Let’s all hide in level 5 until the vaccine comes whilst Tony has a hissy fit over a few hundred cases in the general population

Hospitals practically empty. 29 in icu but we want to self destruct for the third time.

Save the HSE (mismanaged health service) at the cost of the country.

Half arsed lockdown is totally useless.

Inter county travel banned but ok for work ...same old mistakes over and over.

Lockdown everything absolutely everything for three weeks and see then how low the numbers go.

We’re shoving water up a hill with this current approach whilst shoving the country over a cliff.

Somethings got to give. This is ridiculous carry on.

Lockdown simply won’t work anymore as people are not on board with this failed policy.

If we do lockdown, people will just go to wherever is open anyways.

I’m guilty of it myself. So bored with everything closed that I’ve spent hours wandering around supermarkets for something to stay occupied.

Particularly during winter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,879 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Lundstram wrote: »
    Not content with treating Irish citizens in the UK as lepers, they continue to treat honest hard working people in the hospitality industry like sh1t. They don't matter.

I suppose you think every other country is also treating their own citizens like "lepers" then.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭JRant

pjohnson wrote: »
    Just making sure. You want everything back to normal yet you dont agree with eradicating the virus.

Sounds about right actually.

What a complete non sequitur. I mean, you just have to listen to our own minister's and the CMO to know that eradication is not even on the agenda.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Advertisement

Lockdown simply won’t work anymore as people are not on board with this failed policy.

The policy has worked.

It has contained the virus until now.

That was the goal, that was achieved.

And it will be achieved again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,127 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

I see the Today FM man of the year is Tony Holohan
    The Woman of the year is Katie Taylor.

I know I am being childish but I would absolutely pay box office to see them put together in the ring for 5 rounds

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭WhiteMemento9

JRant wrote: »
    Maybe we should follow the science and WHO advice. No proof of asymptomatic spread. PCR tests being used for a purpose they were never designed for.

A moral panic has taken hold that may take a generation to undo.

The decisions are being informed by numbers and infection rates after the lockdowns have been lifted and what that looks like modeled out into the future. I don't understand what any of your post has to do with these things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,674 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Was in Cork City yesterday. Felt way more safe in the restaurant we ate lunch in compared to some of the shops to be honest. Bizarre how badly they're treating hospitality.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭dalyboy

I saw someone refer to Covid deaths as “otherwise avoidable” and I found that very interesting... because surely you could consider so many deaths as avoidable.

We could ban cigarettes, alcohol and make pubs/clubs illegal.
    We could ban any dangerous thrill seeking activities.
    We could ban any sport with a slight risk of death such as motor racing, boxing, MMA.
    We could lock down every year to avoid flu season.
    We could ban cars to avoid road deaths.

Strange how we have managed to live so long with all the above but we absolutely must stop Covid deaths...

Why stop there.
    Lock down every beach as people might drown in the sea or get stung by jelly fish.
    Ban cars , motorcycles, bikes as “speed kills”.
    Ban two story houses as people can fall out of 2nd floors.
    Etc etc
    If we don’t implement these restrictions there will be needless deaths that could otherwise have been saved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,302 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I am sure this has been posted already but...just in case it hasn't
    https://www.independent.ie/news/restaurants-and-gastro-pubs-to-close-on-christmas-eve-under-plans-going-to-cabinet-39889020.html
    Restaurants to possibly close at lunchtime on 24th :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

I've taken a break from here lately to enjoy Christmas. But it appears the level of extreme hysteria has blown out of control in recent days across UK and Ireland. The media and government meltdown is very convenient timing coming up to Christmas, when people will forget about 'the virus' for a few days so they can enjoy Christmas and relax.

Now Holohan is demanding a return to pointless Level 5 restrictions and close down bars and barbers once again. This 'lock and key' method is getting very frustrating for many people. I believe the level of anger is reaching a dangerous point.

It's time to stop beating around the bush: This is without doubt the biggest manufactured crisis in modern history. The response to this 'deadly' pandemic has been blown way out of proportion.

The amount of fear in society today is dangerous and damaging. Creating a crisis out of something that isn't a crisis, and never has been a crisis.

No debate, critical thinking or questioning. This has been the biggest mistake.

Let’s all hide in level 5 until the vaccine comes whilst Tony has a hissy fit over a few hundred cases in the general population

There are tell-tale signs in posts that generally contain complete nonsense and this is one of the main ones. Anyone who posted this doesn't deserve to be taken remotely seriously in anything they say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Where is the evidence in relation to this new strain that we need it, which has NPHET bouncing the Government into severe restrictions.
    Cillian DeGascun said today he hasn’t YET seen any evidence in relation to the new strain being so much more transmissible. Are they hiding something?

“There is lack of evidence on how bad the new variant of the coronavirus is, or how prevalent it is outside the UK, according to the ECDC

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/dec/21/calls-for-national-lockdown-in-england-to-curb-spread-of-new-covid-strain
    Boris Johnson is facing intense pressure to impose another national lockdown within days, as more than 40 countries banned arrivals from the UK in an effort to keep out a new fast-spreading variant of coronavirus.

Government scientific advisers warned that inaction could cost tens of thousands of lives and risk an “economic, human and social disaster”, with the new strain spreading across the UK and overseas.

With each drip of information the more concern is growing. It's no wonder other countries are taking the measures they are. Partly because how forthcoming is the UK being here? No one seems to really know atm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭Jizique

Micky 32 wrote: »
    “There is lack of evidence on how bad the new variant of the coronavirus is, or how prevalent it is outside the UK, according to the ECDC

It is a U.K. excuse to lockdown London and Kent ahead of brexit; they did not expect the international reaction, from France on freight, or from the other 40+ countries banning flights

If we do lockdown, people will just go to wherever is open anyways.

I’m guilty of it myself. So bored with everything closed that I’ve spent hours wandering around supermarkets for something to stay occupied.

Particularly during winter.

No, they are Jack. The polls indicate that clearly. The majority of people will and are following the advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

I think we can all agree on here and we can all be united on this one issue:

Boris Johnson is total and utter failure.

The policy has worked.

It has contained the virus until now.

That was the goal, that was achieved.

And it will be achieved again.

At. What. Cost?

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/dec/21/calls-for-national-lockdown-in-england-to-curb-spread-of-new-covid-strain

With each drip of information the more concern is growing. It's no wonder other countries are taking the measures they are. Partly because how forthcoming is the UK being here? No one seems to really know atm.

It’s a knee jerk reaction to the UK claiming they have a new strain that’s 70% more spreadable ( no evidence yet)so no surprise they shut them off until it’s investigated further.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭dalyboy

I see the Today FM man of the year is Tony Holohan
    The Woman of the year is Katie Taylor.

I know I am being childish but I would absolutely pay box office to see them put together in the ring for 5 rounds

Tony would win instantly with Katie throwing in the towel.
    He would just threaten her that he’s going to lock down the boxing industry indefinitely.

No, they are Jack. The polls indicate that clearly. The majority of people will and are following the advice.

Oh well if the polls said it then it must be true...
    They always represent exactly what the public thinks...

The decisions are being informed by numbers and infection rates after the lockdowns have been lifted and what that looks like modeled out into the future. I don't understand what any of your post has to do with these things.

So we should ignore WHO advice and the ECD and run with numbers we haven't seen and a model that hasn't been peer reviewed. Gotcha, you're basically going for the anti scientific approach.

dalyboy wrote: »
    Tony would win instantly with Katie throwing in the towel.
    He would just threaten her that he’s going to lock down the boxing industry indefinitely.

Put in a stipulation that if Tony doesn't fight he will be put on the PUP indefinitely and lose his pension.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 150 ✭✭Belt

Oh well if the polls said it then it must be true...
    They always represent exactly what the public thinks...

The same polls that can no longer predict how results of political elections actually transpire. Recent evidence has shown polls do not accurately represent the views of the population

It’s a knee jerk reaction to the UK claiming they have a new strain that’s 70% more spreadable ( no evidence yet)so no surprise they shut them off until it’s investigated further.

They are concerned the situation in the UK may be more serious than they are letting on.

We can obviously only go on news reports but some of the stuff coming out of what Johnson is being urged to do by scientific advisors would suggest they are not in a great place and this is alarming the neighbors.

They seem to know a fair bit about it for something with no evidence.
    The World Health Organization said the variant was identified in southeastern England as early as September and had been detected as far away as Australia.

Catherine Troisi, an infectious disease epidemiologist with UTHealth School of Public Health in Houston, said one or two mutations to the original coronavirus pop up every month or so, but this new variant has a whopping 17 mutations.

"We've never seen so many mutations happen so fast," she said.

What's most concerning, Troisi said, is that eight out of the 17 mutations seem to affect the so-called “spike protein” found on the surface of the virus, which allows the virus to attach itself to host cells and infect them.

“Some of the mutations might make it easier for the virus to enter the body,” said Dr. Prathit Kulkarni, assistant professor of medicine in infectious diseases at Baylor College of Medicine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,644 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Surely going to govt buildings would be the best way to get his message, as government advisor, out to the government. It’s not his job to preach to the masses, that’s a personal crusade of his, and is in no way essential.

Blame RTE then. They invited him on. You're shooting the messenger.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Pixies, Ride, Therapy?, Public Service Broadcasting, IDLES(x2), And So I Watch You From Afar

Penfailed wrote: »
    Blame RTE then. They invited him on. You're shooting the messenger.

RTE are making a fortune out of misery.
    Advertising revenues from the HSE are huge.

• Advertisement

They are concerned the situation in the UK may be more serious than they are letting on.

Xmas coming up, families mixing, shops packed, way more activity = virus out of control is the most likely scenario here. So do tell Kermit, what do you think they aren’t telling us?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement