Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part VII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭Tork

Micky 32 wrote: »
    Virus aside, do you have problems with people having nice things in general? I certainly won’t miss these type of arrogant condescending posts once the vaccine works it’s magic.

Why do you think I have a problem with nice things?

Look, I am as pissed off as everybody else that life as we know it has been disrupted in 2020. I am also a pragmatic person and I understand why we've spent most of the year under varying restrictions. I don't enjoy it or necessarily agree with all of the measures that have been taken. But, everybody now knows (or should know) how this virus spreads. It means sacrifices in order to stop the numbers going up again. People can't have it both ways. You can either ignore all the boring advice about keeping your distance, reducing your contacts etc., and potentially add to the mounting number of cases. Or you accept that this is a short term pain for a longer-term gain and have a quieter Christmas than normal. We all know how the system works now. Higher cases = Level 5. Lower cases = more freedom. Because so many people have voluntarily chosen to flout the rules, we're now facing into Level 5 again. I'm really pissed off at that. I hate that businesses have to close again, the option of having a sit down meal is gone, even being able to go for a drive without explaining myself to a guard is gone. I also worry for the businesses who are forced to open and close over and over. It's far easier to scream abuse at NPHET and call people bedwetters than to accept personal responsibility. If you want to have a social Christmas, get pissed and meet loads of people you haven't seen all year, fine. Just don't start whining when you're stuck at home in January and everywhere is shut.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,302 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

gmisk wrote: »
    I am sure this has been posted already but...just in case it hasn't
    https://www.independent.ie/news/restaurants-and-gastro-pubs-to-close-on-christmas-eve-under-plans-going-to-cabinet-39889020.html
    Restaurants to possibly close at lunchtime on 24th :(
    Rte reporting something pretty similar.

https://amp.rte.ie/amp/1185831/?__twitter_impression=true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,879 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Xmas coming up, families mixing, shops packed, way more activity = virus out of control is the most likely scenario here. So do tell Kermit, what do you think they aren’t telling us?

How would I know?

What is obvious is that concern inside and outside UK is growing.

Johnson says it's under control. Tonight the papers are reporting tier 4 for all.

Which is it?

But then again Johnson seems always confused.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭dalyboy

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/dec/21/calls-for-national-lockdown-in-england-to-curb-spread-of-new-covid-strain

With each drip of information the more concern is growing. It's no wonder other countries are taking the measures they are. Partly because how forthcoming is the UK being here? No one seems to really know atm.

Yeah but why is there concern at all ?
    I’ll bet my house that this “new” variant is rampant already in Ireland (and everywhere for that matter) for months.

UK government have admitted the strain was discovered in Kent back in September for gods sake. If it’s not in Ireland then how is it 70% more transmissible?
    Do you see the fallacy here ?

It’s typical horn blowing that’s nothing new from governments since this entire crazy stuff started.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Tork wrote: »
    Why do you think I have a problem with nice things?

Look, I am as pissed off as everybody else that life as we know it has been disrupted in 2020. I am also a pragmatic person and I understand why we've spent most of the year under varying restrictions. I don't enjoy it or necessarily agree with all of the measures that have been taken. But, everybody now knows (or should know) how this virus spreads. It means sacrifices in order to stop the numbers going up again. People can't have it both ways. You can either ignore all the boring advice about keeping your distance, reducing your contacts etc., and potentially add to the mounting number of cases. Or you accept that this is a short term pain for a longer-term gain and have a quieter Christmas than normal. We all know how the system works now. Higher cases = Level 5. Lower cases = more freedom. Because so many people have voluntarily chosen to flout the rules, we're now facing into Level 5 again. I'm really pissed off at that. I hate that businesses have to close again, the option of having a sit down meal is gone, even being able to go for a drive without explaining myself to a guard is gone. I also worry for the businesses who are forced to open and close over and over. It's far easier to scream abuse at NPHET and call people bedwetters than to accept personal responsibility. If you want to have a social Christmas, get pissed and meet loads of people you haven't seen all year, fine. Just don't start whining when you're stuck at home in January and everywhere is shut.

LOl what makes you assume that any of what you just wrote applies to me? I have followed all the guidelines , in fact due to the nature of my work my every day life is quite normal as the 5km and inter county restrictions don’t apply to me..

What pisses me off are the condescending attitudes of certain posters if anyone else disagrees with them or of a different opinion.

• Advertisement

They seem to know a fair bit about it for something with no evidence.

There’s a lot of conflict between organisations so unless we are provided with actual proof not much point discussing it really unless you have something to back it up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭Tork

LOl what makes you assume that any of what you just wrote applies to me? I have followed all the guidelines , in fact due to the nature of my work my every day life is quite normal as the 5km and inter county restrictions don’t apply to me..

What pisses me off is the condescending attitudes of certain posters if anyone else disagrees with them or has a different opinion.

Bully for you:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

How would I know?

Johnson says it's under control. Tonight the papers are reporting tier 4 for all.

Which is it?

He's not confused, just has a "sociopathic" need to be liked so always looks on the sunny side regardless of the reality.

How would I know?

Which is it?

I would expect tier 4 for all if the virus is out of control, nothing unusual there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,715 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Christmas Eve the new date? Must stock up on beers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

so we're putting on more flights to bring people in from infection central Britain, but closing the pubs 11 hours earlier Christmas Eve has to happen...

this entire process is very agenda driven.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭JRant

so we're putting on more flights to bring people in from infection central Britain, but closing the pubs 11 hours earlier Christmas Eve has to happen...

And a wide open border to the north with multiple flights into belfast airport every day. Daft carry-on altogether and has no joined up thinking whatsoever.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

I would expect tier 4 for all if the virus is out of control, nothing unusual there.

The calls tonight by the UK's chief scientific advisors are specifically related to the new strain.

JRant wrote: »
    And a wide open border to the north with multiple flights into belfast airport every day. Daft carry-on altogether and has no joined up thinking whatsoever.

Considering Britains absolute shambles of managing this, the train from Belfast, the road border, ferry and flights should have all been stopped days ago. But no... we're going to just make the pubs suffer again.

A singular person coming home from the UK is infinitely more selfish and dangerous than 6 people who were here the whole time just wanting a drink imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭WhiteMemento9

There’s a lot of conflict between organisations so unless we are provided with actual proof not much point discussing it really unless you have something to back it up?

Sorry, should have posted the article. This actually has a great breakdown of what we know so far.

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-55388846

Agree not much to discuss until we know more but given what we do know I think it is right to alert people to potential and be cautious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,674 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

The calls tonight by the UK's chief scientific advisors are specifically related to the new strain.
    They can say that all they want but they've still provided none of the evidence that the ECDC and other EU countries are asking for

Considering Britains absolute shambles of managing this, the train from Belfast, the road border, ferry and flights should have all been stopped days ago. But no... we're going to just make the pubs suffer again.

A singular person coming home from the UK is infinitely more selfish and dangerous than 6 people who were here the whole time just wanting a drink imho.

Where would the first port of call be for such selfish individual do you think to reconnect with all their pals ??????

Starts with P and ends with Covid for everyone else in place that started with P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭WhiteMemento9

Should add another very important thing from that article and maybe something that is being discussed in private around reimposing restrictions. We want to limit the potential chance for it to mutate more. The lower the cases the less chance of that happening and us ending up with a vaccine that is useless.
    All three leading vaccines develop an immune response against the existing spike, which is why the question comes up.

Vaccines train the immune system to attack several different parts of the virus, so even though part of the spike has mutated, the vaccines should still work.

"But if we let it add more mutations, then you start worrying," said Prof Gupta.

"This virus is potentially on a pathway for vaccine escape, it has taken the first couple of steps towards that."

Vaccine escape happens when the virus changes so it dodges the full effect of the vaccine and continues to infect people.

This may be the most concerning element of what is happening with the virus.

This variant is just the latest to show the virus is continuing to adapt as it infects more and more of us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,674 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

RTE are reporting the new restrictions are being labelled 'Minus Level 5'

Are the government taking the piss?

Where would the first port of call be for such selfish individual do you think to reconnect with all their pals ??????

Starts with P and ends with Covid for everyone else in place that started with P

You're right, but instead of keeping them in the UK, now they only get to infect their immediate family , whereas I who have been following the restrictions now get declined my favourite Christmas Eve drink.

• Advertisement

Well it might make it sell to the public a bit better by promoting this new strain seeing that they just cancelled xmas ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭afro man

Makes no sense they telling people the virus ramping up and shutting down flights and ferries for safety. But hey let's charter flights to bring people in from high risk Britain.. Meanwhile let's hammer the easy targets of pubs etc..Big agenda on a certain sector alright

You're right, but instead of keeping them in the UK, now they only get to infect their immediate family , whereas I who have been following the restrictions now get declined my favourite Christmas Eve drink.

No missed my point entirely, they'd only infect their family if the pubs were closed. If the pubs were open they'd be right there with you infecting you and in turn your family.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,464 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Exactly.

NPHETs primary agenda is not covid.

It’s alcohol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,715 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Exactly.

It’s alcohol

Cinema's too

Well it might make it sell to the public a bit better by promoting this new strain seeing that they just cancelled xmas ;)

I can just paste this here in response...

So you must think the UK is mutilating itself then, right? For Johnson's sake.

Not only inducing more chaos at home but an increasingly forlorn and desperate looking country being isolated systematically from it's main trading partners and the effect that has on vital supply chains.

Yeah right...

P.S i'm in short supply of quality high endurance tinfoil, can you lend me some? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

Exactly.

It’s alcohol

And short hair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭afro man

No missed my point entirely, they'd only infect their family if the pubs were closed. If the pubs were open they'd be right there with you infecting you and in turn your family.

You think they going to stay at home over Xmas.. They still be out and about shopping etc . House parties. Visiting extended families groups.. So good chance of still infecting people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

afro man wrote: »
    Makes no sense they telling people the virus ramping up and shutting down flights and ferries for safety. But hey let's charter flights to bring people in from high risk Britain.. Meanwhile let's hammer the easy targets of pubs etc..Big agenda on a certain sector alright

It's disgusting how so many people in this country are willing to pull up the drawbridge to lock out their own countrymen.

• Advertisement

I can just paste this here in response...

So you must think the UK is mutilating itself then, right? For Johnson's sake.

Not only inducing more chaos at home but an increasingly forlorn and desperate looking country being isolated systematically from it's main trading partners and the effect that has on vital supply chains.

Yeah right...

P.S i'm in short supply of quality high endurance tinfoil, can you lend me some? ;)

As another poster said the Uk hasn’t been forthcoming with the evidence. The virus is out of control hence restrictions, a bit like Tony now suggesting level 5 after xmas, is that due to the new strain i wonder? But sure look who am i to burst your toxic bubble, carry on there...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement