Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part VII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,664 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Surly at this stage we must all know at least 10 to 20 people that have/had this at this stage?.i must be very sheltered as I only heard of less than half a dozen in my Locality.agree with those that can see tru the anti pub rhetoric from “saint” tony

I live in super covid central Britain and I only know 5 people who’ve had it. I live with one of them and I didn’t even get it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭showpony1

Tork wrote: »
    Because so many people have voluntarily chosen to flout the rules, we're now facing into Level 5 again.

I don't really understand this - i see many people saying the pubs in town are packed "it's a disgrace" etc. but the pubs are now open so what do people expect, the pubs just to be empty in December while open and people are allowed to go?

Any Pub i have been in has been a table booking, shown to the table with a large distance between the other tables. I'm sure you'll get the odd story of someone not having to order food at the pub - but we cannot close down an entire country based upon the odd person posting a pic on social media of one busy pub in a country of millions of people. (was the same ****e with the 20 odd people drinking takeaway pints on south william street - you can't make decision effecting the country on these type of things, just shows social media power).

Surely it wasn't expectation that no cases would rise from the Level 5 lockdown & if they planned immediately lockdown if there was rise in cases why did the reopening not happen later in December than December 1st then panick to cancel Christmas on 23rd December?

Zero deaths and few hundred people in the whole country in hospital and this happening now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Surly at this stage we must all know at least 10 to 20 people that have/had this at this stage?.i must be very sheltered as I only heard of less than half a dozen in my Locality.agree with those that can see tru the anti pub rhetoric from “saint” tony

I live in Cork and know two people who got it, one is a teacher in a school for children with special needs where social distancing is neither practical nor possible.
    She passed it onto her mother who she lives with (a woman in her late 60’s who was asymptomatic and completely fine) but not to her partner, who she shares a bed with.

The other was my mother’s uncle, a very elderly and unwell man who caught it not once but twice while in a nursing home. He fought it off the first time but couldn’t fight it off the second time around.
    The fact that he even caught it twice is absolutely scandalous in its own right imo, I don’t see how it can be considered as anything other than downright negligence. He should have been better protected, but he was also suffering from heart & blood pressure issues as well.

I know a LOT of people who’ve been tested for one reason or another but those are the only positive cases that I know of, yet the media would have us believe people are dropping like flies and bodies are piling up on the pavements on an hourly basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭WhiteMemento9

No, the media would not have you believe that is the case. The numbers are shown in cold hard facts each day. Posting anecdotal evidence of your personal experience would have zero effect of showing anything to the contrary even if it was the case and shows the awful thinking and logic that people have about this stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Windmill100000

A rise in cases was always expected when everything opened up. I'm surprised people are shocked at the rise in positive cases.

So we lockdown again and again and people struggle more and more. I'd like to know statistics on the numbers of people utilising mental health services, especially suicide.

• Advertisement

RugbyLad11 wrote: »
    Good as his job? He uses the bloody nuclear option Every time. It's pretty easy to say lockdown everything...

You make a valid point. Rise in cases.... so lockdown. Meanwhile, people are losing jobs, businesses are closing permanently, financial pressures and isolation are causing a rise in those dealing with mental health problems, stress results in an increase in domestic violence, fear stops people accessing essential medical services..... at what point do we say enough?

Yes, it's very sad viruses kill. But are we going to lockdown on and off indefinitely? That is not a sustainable option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭joseywhales

46 Long wrote: »
    Just back from a 24/7 petrol station to buy cigarettes and milk. Absolutely packed with scantily clad young wans falling around the place eating pizza for a bit of soakage before they're off to the next house party. Not a mask in sight.

Personally, I think they're far more likely to suffer hypothermia than issues with Covid but the powers that be don't share my view. Yet, they'll still shut down restaurants, food pubs and retail that have bent over backwards to adhere to guidelines and let this continue. There isn't an ounce of backbone anywhere in government and no one to put their foot down to end this ridiculous charade and call Holohan to heel.

Is the answer to all of these rhetorical questions:

Petrol stations and supermarkets= essential for society to function.

Restaurants and pubs = not essential for society to function.

Hence "they'll still shut down restaurants, food pubs and retail that have bent over backwards to adhere to guidelines "

Also the fact that they do this despite the fact that you and other hate it, is proof that they have a backbone. If they gave in to your demands then they wouldn't have a backbone?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

No, the media would not have you believe that is the case. The numbers are shown in cold hard facts each day. Posting anecdotal evidence of your personal experience would have zero effect of showing anything to the contrary even if it was the case and shows the awful thinking and logic that people have about this stuff.

I was absolutely terrified of the videos that came out of China in the early days of people simply dropping dead on the street, of young people who otherwise looked healthy literally falling to the floor only to have their bodies picked up by the army and thrown in the back of a truck. Little children collapsing with nobody attempting helping them.
    Those videos and media reports terrified me so much that I ended up restricting my movements in late February of my own accord, a solid two weeks before any lockdowns were introduced here.

Yet even in our very worst days, we never saw scenes remotely like that, nor did any other country for that matter. Not even Sweden, who had no lockdown at all.
    The fear machine has been chugging away for months. I don’t see how the extremely negative hyperbolic style of journalism and media coverage can be seen as anything other than manipulative scare mongering.
    Tony’s worrry-meter proved as much, they want people to be afraid, as people who are scared and afraid for their lives are easier to control and coerce.
    And there is something very wrong about such tactics being used on the general public at a time when so many people are already mentally fragile after all we have gone through this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,853 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

SusieBlue wrote: »
    I was absolutely terrified of the videos that came out of China in the early days of people simply dropping dead on the street, of young people who otherwise looked healthy literally falling to the floor only to have their bodies picked up by the army and thrown in the back of a truck. Little children collapsing with nobody attempting helping them.
    Those videos and media reports terrified me so much that I ended up restricting my movements in late February of my own accord, a solid two weeks before any lockdowns were introduced here.

Yet even in our very worst days, we never saw scenes remotely like that, nor did any other country for that matter. Not even Sweden, who had no lockdown at all.
    The fear machine has been chugging away for months. I don’t see how the extremely negative hyperbolic style of journalism and media coverage can be seen as anything other than manipulative scare mongering.

and no worries to the bank accounts of journalists/government/NPHET etc while many thousands workers in Ireland are affected

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,664 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Tony’s worrry-meter proved as much, they want people to be afraid, as people who are scared and afraid for their lives are easier to control and coerce.
    And there is something very wrong about such tactics being used on the general public at a time when so many people are already mentally fragile after all we have gone through this year.

I'm not sure how many, if any here, have seen the document put together by SAGE in the UK back in March.

Heres one of their options for compliance.
    Perceived threat: A substantial number of people still do not feel sufficiently personally threatened; it could be that they are reassured by the low death rate in their demographic group, although levels of concern may be rising. Having a good understanding of the risk has been found to be positively associated with adoption of COVID-19 social distancing measures in Hong Kong.

The perceived level of personal threat needs to be increased among those who are complacent, using hard-hitting Evaluation of options for increasing social distancing emotional messaging. To be effective this must also empower people by making clear the actions they can take to reduce the threat.

If the UK government have been openly advised by their scientists to use hard hitting emotional language as a means of manipulation, you can bet every single government have used it.

I don't know how anybody can't see it at this stage.

Link to document for anyone who wants to read it.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/882722/25-options-for-increasing-adherence-to-social-distancing-measures-22032020.pdf

• Advertisement

6 wrote: »
    Or maybe he's just good at his job.

Every recent warning he's given the government has been accurate. They then scramble. They'll do the same again this time and prolong a level 5.

What has he warned them of?
    That more people will test positive if we don’t hide under the bed?

We know that.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Pitch n Putt

There are tell-tale signs in posts that generally contain complete nonsense and this is one of the main ones. Anyone who posted this doesn't deserve to be taken remotely seriously in anything they say.

Well then what’s happened to our Living with Covid plan ??

To me Living with Covid means living with a certain number of cases.

Once things open cases are going to rise , That we know but this will be the second panic button pressing without actually giving their own plan of living with the virus a chance.

Once again I’ll say this restrictions and so called lockdowns need to be based on what’s happening in the hospitals. How many people are admitted to hospitals because of Covid complications and the ICU numbers.

These are the only numbers that should be used.

Using daily case numbers is self destructing especially when most of said cases are asymptomatic or mild symptoms and are recovered by staying at home for 14 days.

The complete nonsense as u say is the fear driven by the constant rollercoaster of daily numbers. Cases are just cases. We need to be looking in the right places (hospitals) to find out where we stand with this virus not daily cases....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,359 ✭✭✭facehugger99

0.005% of the population hospitalised.

0.0005% of the population in ICU.

Thoughts and prayers we all make it through this devastating 3rd wave everybody.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Micky 32 wrote: »
    “Cabinet to reject proposed move to level 5 restrictions”. Tony won’t be happy!

Thast just them being populist.
    We wont get level5 - it will be more like 4.9999999995555555444411111

Well then what’s happened to our Living with Covid plan ??

Once again I’ll say this restrictions and so called lockdowns need to be based on what’s happening in the hospitals. How many people are admitted to hospitals because of Covid complications and the ICU numbers.

Using daily case numbers is self destructing especially when most of said cases are asymptomatic or mild symptoms and are recovered by staying at home for 14 days.

No one is listening to you because you talk too much common sense.

Went out for a meal last week in local Gastropub. It was great to get out and a meal served , first time since March ! However apart from the food it wasn’t very different from being at home . Huge distance between tables, all staff masked , diners masked until they sat down or were going to toilets, Perspex between tables . There was no chat, no craic, no Christmas buzz, very surreal and very different to normal times .

I very much doubt pubs are heaving and full of raucous drunk people , it’s not what I experienced. I couldn’t believe the measures this gastropub has gone to ,they were hugely compliant..... and yet it’s lost its atmosphere and charm completely.

On another note my 7 month pregnant daughter got Covid , plus her husband, her 16 month old toddler, her parents in law both in their early 60’s and another sibling. All stayed at home working , none of them were sick, nobody took to the bed, all recovered completely with no after effects . No “long Covid “ ......whatever that is .

The vast majority of people are not getting any sicker than with a cold . I think we are being hammered and there is huge suffering at this stage from people alone, who’ve lost jobs and cannot see family. This new mutant is no more dangerous than what we had already . Luke O Neil said yesterday there is 99.5% certainty the vaccine will work with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,644 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Exactly.

NPHETs primary agenda is not covid.

It’s alcohol

Off licenses are still open.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Pixies, Ride, Therapy?, Public Service Broadcasting, IDLES(x2), And So I Watch You From Afar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,526 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Belgium tried that, didn't work out too well.

Lots of sick and dead and they had to go into a harsher restrictions anyway, plus they overwhelmed their ICUs.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭kwinabeeste

Penfailed wrote: »
    Off licenses are still open.

Wow the almighty Tony and NpHet have some reach to advise texas that bars are risky...or the indisputable international evidence is that the virus spreads in enclosed poorly ventilated spaces.

It's not a conspiracy, its science fact

https://www.texmed.org/TexasMedicineDetail.aspx?id=54216

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭opinionated3

No one is listening to you because you talk too much common sense.
    Heard this morning that apparently there's only three people with covid in UH Limerick, but 75 persons waiting for a bed. If that's true, it's utterly bonkers what's going on ..... Our priorities are screwed

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Penfailed wrote: »
    Blame RTE then. They invited him on. You're shooting the messenger.

He's the one advising no unnecessary trips, working from home etc. I get invited lots of places, I don't go to them all. If you can't follow your own advice, why would you expect others to follow it??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,122 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Have they said how ong restaraunts are closed for?

I don't actually know of a single person who's had it.

I know 2 HCAs who had it, both perfectly fine now. One other friend currently has it, main symptom is boredom, as he cannot leave the house until tomorrow.

I live in Cork and know two people who got it, one is a teacher in a school for children with special needs where social distancing is neither practical nor possible.
    She passed it onto her mother who she lives with (a woman in her late 60’s who was asymptomatic and completely fine) but not to her partner, who she shares a bed with.

The other was my mother’s uncle, a very elderly and unwell man who caught it not once but twice while in a nursing home. He fought it off the first time but couldn’t fight it off the second time around.
    The fact that he even caught it twice is absolutely scandalous in its own right imo, I don’t see how it can be considered as anything other than downright negligence. He should have been better protected, but he was also suffering from heart & blood pressure issues as well.

I know a LOT of people who’ve been tested for one reason or another but those are the only positive cases that I know of, yet the media would have us believe people are dropping like flies and bodies are piling up on the pavements on an hourly basis.

What media is saying this?

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Pixies, Ride, Therapy?, Public Service Broadcasting, IDLES(x2), And So I Watch You From Afar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Boggles wrote: »
    I imagine the young children will easily understand that restrictions prevented large scale deaths.

A fact that seems utterly lost on a quite vocal few.

Spain has one of the worst counts of deaths in all this and had the strictest lockdowns, not sure lockdowns prevent deaths - at least the lockdowns europe are doing, the virus gets the the vulnerable whatever happens it seems.

6 wrote: »
    Or maybe he's just good at his job.

Every recent warning he's given the government has been accurate. They then scramble. They'll do the same again this time and prolong a level 5.

His rolling out of the red carpet to let Covid into it’s most destructive environment at the beginning of this, would suggest that Tony is not good at his job.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Gael23 wrote: »
    Have they said how ong restaraunts are closed for?

Trying to work that out myself, can't see a date mentioned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

irish_goat wrote: »
    Trying to work that out myself, can't see a date mentioned.
    We should hear after the Cabinet meeting today. Anything to date is just leaks.

He's the one advising no unnecessary trips, working from home etc. I get invited lots of places, I don't go to them all. If you can't follow your own advice, why would you expect others to follow it??

He's obviously exempt due to his roll. It's illegal to drive with a mobile phone to your ear. It doesn't stop the Gardai.
    I forgot that this is the bash Tony thread...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,325 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Maybe I misheard him but Paddy Mullen was warning about speculating that we have the UK version here on Pat Kenny, why? This is brilliant.... because people where they have the UK strain are calling for an end to the restrictions because they don't work against it, he referenced Northern Ireland.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement