Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part VII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Comments

So do you want eircodes also? I can give you that to. The spoofers are the scientifically illiterate on this thread. And trying to equate those actually following the science with junk pseudoscience with your reference there at the end. Feck me, ye lot have absolutely zero self awareness

Are you going to finish the sentence? "I can give you that to" ??? To what end??. Your post is ironic to the point of being comedy gold considering you label everyone illiterate and yet cannot grasp the difference between "TO" AND "TOO". Thanks really , that was david brent stuff. Going into town now to shop or as you call it "the trenches"..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,176 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Numbers of cases are irrelevant. Outcome of cases is the important metric.

How many of those deaths had serious existing conditions, were already very vulnerable to illness as a result, or as a result of age? Do you think people unfortunately just wouldn't still be dying if there was no CV-19?
    The age of those dying seems to be a State secret for some reason?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,127 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

The age of those dying seems to be a State secret for some reason?

It's pretty obvious where the deaths are coming from (again) very few are dying in hospitals anyway

90% of residents & staff test positive for Covid-19 in Kilkenny nursing home outbreak

https://kclr96fm.com/gowran-abbey-90percent-outbreak/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,051 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

What I have seen lately is people using excuses for p1ss ups, such as

1) Sure the government don't know what they are doing
    2) I deserve a night out
    3) If they close the pubs, people are going to have house parties, so I might as well do the same

Each and every one of these excuses is b0llox. They know what they are doing is wrong, and are trying to justify it.

You cannot hold the government accountable for people not exercising good judgment when those individuals have the information and still do what they want.

At the end of it all, if each one of us starts to reverse engineer and excuse to enable us to break the rules, then we are all ****ed, because there are enough selfish people out there who will decide to do what they want to **** it all up for the rest of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭SNNUS

I met a lecturer who was hoping for another lockdown so it will be back to remote learning. To feck with everyone else who might lose their jobs etc.. Totally selfish and self centered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/relief-as-stranded-irish-return-home-from-britain-for-christmas-on-government-chartered-flights-39894234.html

And here we go, welcome home family not wearing masks in the airport, straight from covid central tier 4 england .

The irish government facilitated this at the expense of the hospitality jobs and my christmas eve drink... well done

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,878 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Incidence of COVID now growing at around 10% a day. We shouldn't be waiting until after Christmas for the thrust of new measures. Making things worse for January.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/government-figures-fear-new-covid-19-variant-will-mean-hard-lockdown-1.4444618?mode=amp

everlast75 wrote: »

2) I deserve a night out
    3) If they close the pubs, people are going to have house parties, so I might as well do the same

Each and every one of these excuses is b0llox. They know what they are doing is wrong, and are trying to justify it.

You cannot hold the government accountable for people not exercising good judgment when those individuals have the information and still do what they want.

At the end of it all, if each one of us starts to reverse engineer and excuse to enable us to break the rules, then we are all ****ed, because there are enough selfish people out there who will decide to do what they want to **** it all up for the rest of us.

Perhaps the rules are not fair?

If I have to lose my job and survive while others are saving a fortune in time and money then I am less likely to care about these rules.

If you don’t want to do things, then just don’t.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭doublejobbing 2

SNNUS wrote: »
    I met a lecturer who was hoping for another lockdown so it will be back to remote learning. To feck with everyone else who might lose their jobs etc.. Totally selfish and self centered.

The country is run by people unaffected by lockdown.

Thankfully my industry wasn't shut down in October. If I was put back on Wage Subsidy I'd be down about 3000 euro by re opening.

How much is Simon Harris down this year? He doesn't strike me as the type that is choking for a pint either. Lockdown is great when you don't like going to pubs and you keep your full wages. The drive home from work is nicer anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,016 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

SNNUS wrote: »

Working at GMIT???

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Advertisement

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/relief-as-stranded-irish-return-home-from-britain-for-christmas-on-government-chartered-flights-39894234.html

And here we go, welcome home family not wearing masks in the airport, straight from covid central tier 4 england .

The irish government facilitated this at the expense of the hospitality jobs and my christmas eve drink... well done

Other countries- ban travel from the UK.

Irish government- ban travel while simultaneously arranging to evacuate 300 non tested expats who have no interest in isolating ,like it was the last chopper out of Saigon.

Things will be even more comical in early January when the East Europeans return with the virus

Pretty shocking Numbers from Germany reported this morning, total lockdown until mid January.

We don’t need lockdown. Yesterday included a large backlog of cases. Positive swabs yesterday was 698 off 13000+ tests.

The cases are already levelling off before any lockdown.

And festive season is ending in a few days anyways. Then dry January begins.

We’ll be grand. Only 28 or something in ICU. What’s the panic?

Other countries- ban travel from the UK.

Irish government- ban travel while simultaneously arranging to evacuate 300 non tested expats who have no interest in isolating ,like it was the last chopper out of Saigon.

Things will be even more comical in early January when the East Europeans return with the virus

I think those passengers are required to self isolate??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Dempo1 wrote: »

The indo chose a picture of a family who didnt even wear masks, fat chance of them isolating

Perhaps the rules are not fair?

If I have to lose my job and survive while others are saving a fortune in time and money then I am less likely to care about these rules.

If you don’t want to do things, then just don’t.

And here is where the problem is.

If each individual in this country is the arbiter of whether the rules apply to them or not, then by definition - there are no rules.

I agree that the rules aren't fair. My dad was in a nursing home and died in one. In the months leading up to his passing I was not able to even hug him. But I did what I was supposed to do to get this country out of this ****ing mess.

I could have said **** the rules, but I didn't.

I believe the Government have made various mistakes. I think NPHET have made mistakes. I believe the HSE have made mistakes.

But I'm not going to use those things as excuses, because being honest with yourself - that's what they are excuses.

Because unfortunately, it isn't as simple as "If you don’t want to do things, then just don’t." What you do affects me and vice versa.

It is a social contract - everyone should stick to the the rules, so things may be safer for all of us.

Dempo1 wrote: »

LOL. Required.

If you are of the mindset to travel you are not of the mindset to isolate.

I've been following the American angle and it's beyond extraordinary. 2 deaths a minute. It got me thinking about what if any impact the vaccines will make. Its fantastic news re vaccines albeit this new strain a worry. My question is how long, realistically will it take for vaccines to have any impact. I just seems some countries case growth rate is so high and rising, it could much more time for any impact to be evident. Some governments including our own are being a little optimistic.

LOL. Required.

To be fair, these passengers travelled before England closed borders and are residents. I'm not saying travel was wise but surely its not unreasonable to bring them back, just a humble, Christmas spirit kind of opinion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

LOL. Required.

You realise the people "travelling" on the Ryanair flight, are Irish people, who live in Ireland and were in the UK for work etc, and got caught in the UK shutdown.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,943 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

If each individual in this country is the arbiter of whether the rules apply to them or not, then by definition - there are no rules.

A lot of what people think are rules are actually guidelines.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,128 ✭✭✭✭JRant

I agree that the rules aren't fair. My dad was in a nursing home and died in one. In the months leading up to his passing I was not able to even hug him. But I did what I was supposed to do to get this country out of this ****ing mess.

I could have said **** the rules, but I didn't.

I believe the Government have made various mistakes. I think NPHET have made mistakes. I believe the HSE have made mistakes.

But I'm not going to use those things as excuses, because being honest with yourself - that's what they are excuses.

Because unfortunately, it isn't as simple as "If you don’t want to do things, then just don’t." What you do affects me and vice versa.

It is a social contract - everyone should stick to the the rules, so things may be safer for all of us.

I'm in a similar but slightly different with father and I can tell you there's not a rule or man alive that will stop me from hugging him daily before he passes, which will be shortly unfortunately.

A social contract, hahaha, do me a favour. Anyone that doesn't hug a dying relative because "reasons" needs their head examined. That's no slight on you as you thought you were doing the right thing back then but with what we know now, I'll take my chances.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,176 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

2) I deserve a night out

My definition of selfishness are those who are on huge salaries (uninterrupted since March) deliberately putting small businesses out of business.

Of course over Christmas as they are having their fair trade coffee and perusing the Irish Times they won't give those facing a bleak 2021 a second thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,128 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Zebra3 wrote: »
    A lot of what people think are rules are actually guidelines.

Including the Irish government, particularly when it comes to travel advice.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

My definition of selfishness are those who are on huge salaries (uninterrupted since March) deliberately putting small businesses out of business.

Of course over Christmas as they are having their fair trade coffee and perusing the Irish Times they won't give those facing a bleak 2021 a second thought.

I cannot speak to your experience, because I don't know you, but I am curious if you are prepared to breach the guidelines or rules or whatever the hell people want to call them, on the basis of what you said above, to justify doing what you would like.

I'm not accusing you of anything - I'm just curious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,822 ✭✭✭Allinall

How do you know this?

Or are you just making wild assumptions, with your judgment clouded by bitterness?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,520 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

We don’t need lockdown. Yesterday included a large backlog of cases. Positive swabs yesterday was 698 off 13000+ tests.

Probably why we don't base policy on one day of data.

That would be dangerously stupid in the extreme.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,878 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

The same people who argued Christmas was some unmissable cosmic event can't really complain about the extent of restrictions coming as a result.

We all like Christmas but nobody will care about it on the 27th. It was never going to be worth it for the sake of one year.

If they do complain the answer will be straightforward from now on. This is what you asked for.

JRant wrote: »
    I'm in a similar but slightly different with father and I can tell you there's not a rule or man alive that will stop me from hugging him daily before he passes, which will be shortly unfortunately.

A social contract, hahaha, do me a favour. Anyone that doesn't hug a dying relative because "reasons" needs their head examined. That's no slight on you as you thought you were doing the right thing back then but with what we know now, I'll take my chances.

Read my post again. I said in the months leading up to his passing I didn't - he was in a nursing home and I wasn't aware that he was going to pass away.

When we found out he was going, we were of course permitted to.

I'm not going into my situation further, but I will ask you this.

Outside of your dad's situation, have you decided to breach guidelines or rules, and used your disagreement with how the government/hse/nphet have conducted themselves as an excuse.

Again - just curious.

• Advertisement

And having large parties in hotels, not isolating, not wearing masks on public transport, and RTÉ having parties behind closed doors.

The people making the rules and reporting the situation are all on six figure salaries while they expect others to survive on crumbs.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement