Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part VII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,128 ✭✭✭✭JRant

"Behave" in this instance was merely a turn of phrase, in keeping with the schoolyard bullcrap from earlier. Comply is probably a better choice of words.

And no, I'm not talking about people going to work, etc. I'm talking about that gaff party in Waterford with 95 people at it, or the petrolheads last week with 800 idiots meeting up, or the anti-mask crowd congregating every second week to flog their ill-educated, xenophobic, racist bolloxology to all the weak-minded simpletons who call everyone else sheep.

It doesn't matter if you have to be told you have it. If you have it, you can pass it on to someone else for whom it might not be so benign. Plus, the more of a spread a virus undertakes, the higher the chance of mutation. If you leave it spread uncontrollably amongst those who have to be told they have it, then the higher the chance of it mutating into something much more sinister.

You're using a tiny minority to justify actions that have already been shown not to work though.

The reason we have such a spread now is because our government haven't used rapid at home testing as a measure to help curb it. Are they as good as PCR tests, no. Are they good enough to bring the spread under control, absolutely. Yet, Dr Tony and Co "don't like them" so we can't use them. It's insanity at this stage.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,127 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

I love how the lock downers assume the people arguing for less restrictions are completely irresponsible.

I went and got myself a private PCR test at the airport yesterday and won't be heading up to the folks until I get a negative result back.
    I call that being responsible.

It's beyond ironic that Tony advised me not to do that (get a test before visiting elderly relatives) but I decided to apply my own common sense and be even more responsible than he wants me to be.

Boggles wrote: »
    Have you had Covid?

Thankfully, I have not. Haven't even needed to have a test. Because I've limited my movements and who I've seen, all while being super careful to constantly wash my hands and try to limit touching my face. I would be in the very low risk category myself but due to other reasons I've taken precautions. Does the entire country need to do it as well to protect my father and many others like him? Outside of hospitals environments, hell no, it's my own responsibility to do that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,520 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

JRant wrote: »
    Thankfully, I have not. Haven't even needed to have a test. Because I've limited my movements and who I've seen, all while being super careful to constantly wash my hands and try to limit touching my face. I would be in the very low risk category myself but due to other reasons I've taken precautions. Does the entire country need to do it as well to protect my father and many others like him? Outside of hospitals environments, hell no, it's my own responsibility to do that.

Well, yes. It's not just about protecting your father, it's about protecting yourself as you have no idea whether you are "vulnerable" or not.

You are in the fortunate position that you can be extra careful in order to protect your love ones.

Not everyone is as fortunate as you.

Well, yes. It's not just about protecting your father, it's about protecting yourself as you have no idea whether you are "vulnerable" or not.

You are in the fortunate position that you can be extra careful in order to protect your love ones.

Not everyone is as fortunate as you.

That’s your opinion, I don’t agree though. I’m well able to make decisions for myself as are most adults thankfully.

The government have failed utterly to give us the tools to live with this virus. Why does anybody think this time is going to be any different?

• Advertisement

I love how the lock downers assume the people arguing for less restrictions are completely irresponsible..

1. Nobody (at least not anybody with a rational mind 'wants' a lockdown. Calling them 'lockdowners' is fanning the flames and does nobody any favours.
    It's the equivalent of me saying anyone against lockdown just wants to go for pints the dirty alcos that they are
    2. I love how the anti-lockdown brigade assume anyone of a different mindset is acting like they are because of
    fear and stupidly

The sheer irony of spelling stupidity incorrectly is astonishing.

It's the equivalent of me saying anyone against lockdown just wants to go for pints the dirty alcos that they are

That's what most of them do say on here.

You're using a tiny minority to justify actions that have already been shown not to work though.

The reason we have such a spread now is because our government haven't used rapid at home testing as a measure to help curb it. Are they as good as PCR tests, no. Are they good enough to bring the spread under control, absolutely. Yet, Dr Tony and Co "don't like them" so we can't use them. It's insanity at this stage.

No. The reason we have such a spread is because of selfish d1ckheads who refused to take any advice on board and ran around screaming about Government overreach impinging on their freedoms.

Also, what actions have been shown not to work? Or are you just making stuff up to suit your argument?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,520 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

That’s your opinion, I don’t agree though. I’m well able to make decisions for myself as are most adults thankfully.

It's not my opinion, it's reality and it's very little to do with you.

Like I said in reality large amounts of people in their professional lives no not have the same luxury in the level of minimizing contact like you do.

Therefore we all have a duty to try and protect them, because their love ones are just as important as yours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭acequion

everlast75 wrote: »
    What I have seen lately is people using excuses for p1ss ups, such as

1) Sure the government don't know what they are doing
    2) I deserve a night out
    3) If they close the pubs, people are going to have house parties, so I might as well do the same

Each and every one of these excuses is b0llox. They know what they are doing is wrong, and are trying to justify it.

You cannot hold the government accountable for people not exercising good judgment when those individuals have the information and still do what they want.

At the end of it all, if each one of us starts to reverse engineer and excuse to enable us to break the rules, then we are all ****ed, because there are enough selfish people out there who will decide to do what they want to **** it all up for the rest of us.

All this tiresome bull**** about these "selfish" people who break the rules, these dreadful retrogrades who should be stoned to death as public enemy number 1 :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Who are they anyway these monstrous people?? We've already shared on this thread our knowledge among our acquaintances of those tested positive. So let's share now our knowledge of to use a term as horrible as "wet pub," our knowledge or experience of "covidiots."

I know of NONE. NOT ONE. Everywhere around me I see people trying to live within these rules. Everyone is masking, sanitising, keeping their distance. I live in a built up area and I haven't notice one household anywhere having parties or even visitors. The streets are quiet, the only cars belong to the residents. Any shop I've been in or restaurant I've dined at all I've noted have been people just getting on with it and observing the rules. No one hand shaking or even touching others, it's become second nature to not do it, to the extent that you'd wonder will hand shaking be an etiquette of another era, an interesting snippet to tell future generations.

So where are all these blackguards who are the sole cause of us all being locked up?? Granted, you will always have a few who don't give a shyt, you'll have the odd pub perhaps who will flout the rules, the few house parties here and there. But my guess is they are very few and far between and rarely enough to make a huge difference to the overall picture.

This tendency to blame and rail against people is just more of the hysteria, finger wagging and curtain twitching. Maybe it's just the psychology of needing a scapegoat. If that's the case I'd lay a lot more blame on our political establishment who we have elected to lead us then I would to ordinary mortals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,943 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

No. The reason we have such a spread is because of selfish d1ckheads who refused to take any advice on board and ran around screaming about Government overreach impinging on their freedoms.

Or maybe because the virus is spreading as people go about their business of working and living.

Following the guidelines is no guarantee of containing the virus, but I suppose the high horse option feels good, eh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,510 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Or maybe because the virus is spreading as people go about their business of working and living.

Following the guidelines is no guarantee of containing the virus, but I suppose the high horse option feels good, eh?

But following the guidelines drastically reduces the risk of spreading the virus.

Also, what actions have been shown not to work? Or are you just making stuff up to suit your argument?

Lockdowns haven’t worked. We are 5 days at level 3 restrictions and the sky seems to be falling in again. This is after 6 weeks of level 5 restrictions. So, unlike yourself, I’m not silly enough to believe in something that has clearly failed.

It's not my opinion, it's reality and it's very little to do with you.

Like I said in reality large amounts of people in their professional lives no not have the same luxury in the level of minimizing contact like you do.

Therefore we all have a duty to try and protect them, because their love ones are just as important as yours.

Of course it’s your opinion, to claim otherwise show a everything that is wrong at the moment. Opinion dressed as facts.

So Charlie McGonagle has absolutely no symptoms according to his spokesman (I assume he was tested as a routine on return from Brussles) but yet everyone is wishing him a speedy recover on social media.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/minister-for-agriculture-tests-positive-for-covid-19-prompting-colleagues-to-restrict-movements-1.4444618?fbclid=IwAR2HvYFHvs8DZRUt1eXKIiLhDvyI1_4-uacCXqSWNlBAw9BXvRzwuUXXrGo

Minister for Agriculture Food and Marine Charlie McConalogue has tested positive for Covid-19, his spokesman has confirmed.

The Donegal representative has displayed no symptoms and is self isolating for a period of time and following all public health guidelines, the spokesman added.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

No, but it is instructive that any questioning of the NPHET agenda of constant lockdowns without any consideration of the non-Covid effects of this approach, is enough to see one labeled as a loon or indeed drummed out of office.

It seems to be like a religion for some with Dr Tony as the high priest and any deviation from his teaching is considered a heresy.

Drummed out of office? Is this that insufferable lying arsehole Trump you’re on about?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

So Charlie McGonagle has absolutely no symptoms according to his spokesman (I assume he was tested as a routine on return from Brussles) but yet everyone is wishing him a speedy recover on social media.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/minister-for-agriculture-tests-positive-for-covid-19-prompting-colleagues-to-restrict-movements-1.4444618?fbclid=IwAR2HvYFHvs8DZRUt1eXKIiLhDvyI1_4-uacCXqSWNlBAw9BXvRzwuUXXrGo

Minister for Agriculture Food and Marine Charlie McConalogue has tested positive for Covid-19, his spokesman has confirmed.

The Donegal representative has displayed no symptoms and is self isolating for a period of time and following all public health guidelines, the spokesman added.

How??? How did he get covid? I see in the article he is wearing a mask. I assume everyone in govt follows guidelines.

What the hell????

Shifty here in this thread calls people who spread covid "selfish d1ckheads".

is minister for agriculture a d1ckhead for getting covid? not following rules? Social distancing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,878 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Lockdowns haven’t worked. We are 5 days at level 3 restrictions and the sky seems to be falling in again. This is after 6 weeks of level 5 restrictions. So, unlike yourself, I’m not silly enough to believe in something that has clearly failed.

The evidence clearly shows the lock downs have worked to suppress the virus. Our case levels have been well below other countries throughout all phases. Transmission was restricted. The health service was protected.

That was the goal. That was the result. Ergo success.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Paddygreen wrote: »

Glad we live in a democracy guys.
    Paddygreen wrote: »

Mod:

Threadbanned

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭acequion

The Covid-19 response for a lot of people exhibits more in common with a religion or cult than any kind of medical or scientific movement.

There's a lot of mindless and devotional acceptance of the creed. Dr Tony is the high priest handing down his daily sermons and the faithful treat him as infallible.

One thing which Covid has demonstrated is that fear and stupidly is a dangerous mix.

A quote from "The Field" comes to mind, "You cannot beat fear and ignorance, you're up against it." Pretty much sums up a lot of what you're saying here and I fully agree.

JB Keane was one brilliant observer of human nature. He'd write a great play about all this if he were around now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,878 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

We've become smelly due to the restrictions according to the Irish Times. I don't recall the purchase of hygiene products being outlawed funnily enough.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/irish-people-became-smellier-and-hairier-during-year-as-buying-habits-changed-1.4444665?mode=amp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,250 ✭✭✭Juwwi

How??? How did he get covid? I see in the article he is wearing a mask. I assume everyone in govt follows guidelines.

What the hell????

Shifty here in this thread calls people who spread covid "selfish d1ckheads".

is minister for agriculture a d1ckhead for getting covid? not following rules? Social distancing?

I find it unbelievable 9 months in people still don't understand the reasoning behind mask wearing that I'm protecting you and you are protecting me .

Hopefully he has helped stop the spread while he didn't know he had it by wearing the mask .

I'd say restrictions and lock downs will be around for along time tho until people finally cop on masks , social distancing doesn't mean you won't catch it , it just slows the spread down .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

*Snip*

Anyways wish you all a merry xmas and happy new year. I am shure that both sides will still be debating the effectiveness (lets face it, they are useless) of lockdowns come 2021. And well hopefully not beyond.

My wish for xmas? For Ireland to have single digit unemployment levels come Q3 of 2021. I think the only way to avoid extreme increases in taxes is to get people back to work and get the economy going. Economy hasnt gotten much coverage with all the minks, new covid strain, Tony H being concerned and ofcourse Mehole trying to convince everyone there was no bailout new stories coming out lately.

I sign off this year (and i will ofcourse be posting later on :) ) with a simple thought: if masks, lockdowns were effective, would we really be jumping in and out of lockdowns for 2 - 3 weeks?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    But following the guidelines drastically reduces the risk of spreading the virus.

No, using common sense drastically reduces the risk of spreading the virus.
    Blindly following the rules doesn't.

Restaurants with restrictions in place are relatively safe, compared to crowded places without restrictions. But you still have a non-zero chance of picking up Covid. You could go to four different restaurants with four different groups of half a dozen people each time in the week before Christmas and absolutely follow the guidelines, but it's not a great idea if you're planning to meet any vulnerable family members over Christmas.

On the other hand if you have a bunch of people living alone who won't be seeing groups of family over Christmas, that's a different story.

Constantly banging on about guidelines takes people's focus off that fact that they, and they alone, are responsible for considering their personal situation and acting accordingly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,822 ✭✭✭Allinall

Juwwi wrote: »
    I find it unbelievable 9 months in people still don't understand the reasoning behind mask wearing that I'm protecting you and you are protecting me .

Hopefully he has helped stop the spread while he didn't know he had it by wearing the mask .

I'd say restrictions and lock downs will be around for along time tho until people finally cop on masks , social distancing doesn't mean you won't catch it , it just slows the spread down .

Of course people understand this.

They just pretend not to.

Likewise with the "€9 meal will prevent you getting Covid :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: brigade.

We've become smelly due to the restrictions according to the Irish Times. I don't recall the purchase of hygiene products being outlawed funnily enough.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/irish-people-became-smellier-and-hairier-during-year-as-buying-habits-changed-1.4444665?mode=amp

Of course hygiene is suffering. People get lazy working from home and don’t bother grooming as much when they never leave the house.

Hairdressers were forced the close for very long periods.

People couldn’t purchase much needed new clothing as it was forbidden for very long periods.

People couldn’t purchase new bedsheets etc.

More suffering and health impacts caused by lockdowns that you support.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Sam Hain

TomTomTim wrote: »
    What nonsense. Most people have done the above, yet there's been little change. Your post is beyond ironic.

You seem to have as much difficulty with the understanding of irony as Alanis Morissette did in the mid nineties.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

I'm very confused as to how this new strain of Covid from the UK is supposed to be spreading here.

Have we not been repeatedly told that travel is only responsible for a miniscule number of cases?

Zebra3 wrote: »

Of course, you can't guarantee you won't contract it. Not following the guidelines is much more of a guarantee that you WILL get it, though.

Less of the insults as well, please.

What?

Lockdowns have worked and have been proven to reduce the numbers. What colour is the sky in the world you inhabit if you cannot recognise that the lower numbers were a direct result of the lockdown we endured?

• Advertisement

My definition of selfishness are those who are on huge salaries (uninterrupted since March) deliberately putting small businesses out of business.

Of course over Christmas as they are having their fair trade coffee and perusing the Irish Times they won't give those facing a bleak 2021 a second thought.

Deliberately?

Right, because that makes perfect sense.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement