Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part VII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Micky 32

some can, yes.
    that's not what the post that started this line of conversation off that boggles replied to said, however.
    so boggles was correct in his statement.
    if i'm honest a number of the people ranting about his post are engaging in fo-outrage which is just as insulting to sufferers of depression as they claim boggle's post is, i would suspect.

What rubbish. Boggles basically denying an actual fact with a smart ass comment that i pointed out. There was no outrage on my behalf i was just correcting him. It was a simple as that.

Likely a very big number coming tonight since we have doubled our testing.

No doubt the hysteria will kick off but the situation hasn’t changed at all. Double testing and you’ll likely find more cases.

Again, a case is not equal to a sick person.

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭darconio

Here is a county-by-county breakdown of today's cases:

Donegal - 50
    Louth - 55
    Wexford - 59
    Kilkenny - 26
    Monaghan - 41
    Carlow - 10
    Limerick - 60
    Laois - 13
    Cavan - 6
    Dublin - 348
    Kerry - 27
    Longford - Less than 5
    Meath - 36
    Waterford - 27
    Mayo - 9
    Kildare - 54
    Sligo - Less than 5
    Wicklow - 15
    Offaly - 9
    Cork - 59
    Tipperary - 8
    Galway - 40
    Roscommon - Less than 5
    Westmeath - 5
    Clare - Less than 5
    Leitrim - 0

Undoubtfully if you say 900 cases it will convince the average joe that is time to close down everything, but if you break down by county how justifiable is a lockdown of a whole country?
    I imagine that people from any county with less than 10 reported cases must be delighted to have their xmas busted.
    And even Dublin with 0.029 percentage of the population, was it really necessary to enforce a lockdown 2 days before xmas?
    Anyway it's done, I see from this thread that a lot of people are delighted and wish there were more restrictions accusing "the selfish" that this was brought on us because of their behaviour: the truth is that they are the true incarnation of selfishness themselves, thinking only about their own good and the wellness of their own existence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,254 ✭✭✭✭km79

That’s yesterday’s break down of cases

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,127 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

No doubt the hysteria will kick off but the situation hasn’t changed at all. Double testing and you’ll likely find more cases.

Just over a thousand swabs from 20k tests

• Advertisement

As somebody who has worked in mental health, your comment is the ignorant one. Get a grip. Depression has many forms.

What an arrogant post. I was merely pointing out a symptom of depression and it’s one of the forms you mention. Get off your high horse before you fall off and do yourself an injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,590 ✭✭✭LLMMLL

acequion wrote: »
    A few pages back I asked posters to share their experiences of so called "covidiots" these supposedly dreadfully "selfish" people who the pro lockdowners love to demonise. I've not come across one such person and am convinced they are very much in the minority and nowhere near enough to cause significant spikes. I remember McConkey at the start of all this saying we'd need about 80% buy in for restrictions to work. I have witnessed absolutely no reason to suggest that 80% buy in of at least the basic and reasonable restrictions is not there. If anything a lot of people are quite zealous.

I'm just so sick of seeing ordinary people being blamed, demonised and scapegoated for the failures of our so called leaders to manage this thing correctly and to actually "live with Covid."

It's not that hard to see.

2 nights ago saw about 20 people in their 20s leaving a pub. Clearly drunk. Zero social distancing. Some not wearing masks. All bundled into taxis on their way to a house party.

Got 2 buses yesterday. Bus 1 woman with mask not covering her nose closed all the windows. Bus 2 a family of 3 with no masks.

Got a text from a relative saying they were looking forward to seeing me at Xmas. There are already 3 households in our home for Xmas. She shouldn't be coming over.

LLMMLL wrote: »
    All bundled into taxis on their way to a house party.

Did you follow the taxi?

Micky 32 wrote: »
    Did you follow the taxi?

No but the fact that they were all talking about whose house they should.go to was a bit of a giveaway.

No but the fact that they were all talking about whose house they should.go to was a bit of a giveaway.

Grand, was just curious how you knew.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Boggles wrote: »
    Not very many imagine.

The pertinent question is though, how many will wish they did follow the advice?

Not very many i’d imagine. Unless they’re having their dinner in nursing home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

It's not that hard to see.

2 nights ago saw about 20 people in their 20s leaving a pub. Clearly drunk. Zero social distancing. Some not wearing masks. All bundled into taxis on their way to a house party.

Got 2 buses yesterday. Bus 1 woman with mask not covering her nose closed all the windows. Bus 2 a family of 3 with no masks.

Got a text from a relative saying they were looking forward to seeing me at Xmas. There are already 3 households in our home for Xmas. She shouldn't be coming over.

Had to get the Luas just before lunch on Sunday. Was busiest I've seen it. Group of girls on the platform clearly heading in shopping as a group, all standing chatting face to face, no masks, no social distancing. Grafton street was the same all over the previous weekend, clusters of people everywhere chatting in close proximity.

But it's definitely hospitality solely at fault.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭acequion

You must have got quite close to them to say you heard all about their plans!

No doubt the hysteria will kick off but the situation hasn’t changed at all. Double testing and you’ll likely find more cases

Run a drag net through the irish sea and youll catch X amount of fish..run it through 10 times and youll get many many more..you're right and i dont see how this logic passes masses..

JRant wrote: »
    Thankfully, I have not. Haven't even needed to have a test. Because I've limited my movements and who I've seen, all while being super careful to constantly wash my hands and try to limit touching my face. I would be in the very low risk category myself but due to other reasons I've taken precautions. Does the entire country need to do it as well to protect my father and many others like him? Outside of hospitals environments, hell no, it's my own responsibility to do that.

Of course, you may have had it and not known about it. It’s that dangerous.

You must have got quite close to them to say you heard all about their plans!

Lol they were not whispering. They were practically screaming. Have you ever stood next to a group of drunk people?

What a silly tactic to ask people for examples and then insinuate they are lying when they give them.

Why not just be honest? You will not accept any opinion or anecdote that go against your own beliefs.

1. Nobody (at least not anybody with a rational mind 'wants' a lockdown. Calling them 'lockdowners' is fanning the flames and does nobody any favours.
    It's the equivalent of me saying anyone against lockdown just wants to go for pints the dirty alcos that they are
    2. I love how the anti-lockdown brigade assume anyone of a different mindset is acting like they are because of

The sheer irony of spelling stupidity incorrectly is astonishing.

Don’t call them lockdowners, I don’t like it.

Also, “the anti-lockdown brigade”

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    But following the guidelines drastically reduces the risk of spreading the virus.

Don’t we *shriek* have some of the lowest cases in Europe??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

Only 25 people in ICU beds and we are going into level 5. This entire thing is beyond a joke, I'd be far from laughing if it had effected my livelihood mind you. Utterly bonkers how this is carrying on.

Boggles wrote: »
    People living with depression are smelly?

I think the thread has peaked.

Any report by a psychiatrist to a GP will have a section on the patients self care. Or from a consultant to consultant will have a section on self care. Lack of motivation to wash, brush teeth daily etc is a major sign of depression.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Out this evening having a good steak and a few pints

Terrible to think these wonderful staff will be on the dole this time tomorrow night

Lol they were not whispering. They were practically screaming. Have you ever stood next to a group of drunk people?

What a silly tactic to ask people for examples and then insinuate they are lying when they give them.

Why not just be honest? You will not accept any opinion or anecdote that go against your own beliefs.

Oh what nonsense! I'm curious to read about people's genuine experiences. But maybe I shouldn't have asked as I've only invited the curtain twitchers to vent their anger at people going about their business. I'm not talking about people in buses and in shops where crowds can be unavoidable. I teach in a large school and I see the youngsters all the time congregating together without their masks despite our constantly reminding them to keep masked up,distanced etc. People, especially young people do what's natural. The elderly as well because they tend to forget.

I'd like to hear of genuine instances of ass holery. Blatant two fingers at society carry on. Yes your anecdote of a crowd of drunks roaring is certainly valid. Though I haven't experienced it. Then again I'm keeping my distance and not hanging around loads of people unlike the many who pontificate. The irony being them being in close proximity with all these "disgraceful" people when they claim to be so zealous about the restrictions.

Nice of you to tell others how they can and can not interpret another's words.

Telling someone to get down off their high horse is an idiom, used instead of calling somebody arrogant or holier-than-thou. That's an insult in my book, all day long, but sure you know better than that. Tell me, then, how did I receive it if not as an insult?

Get off your high horse

Only 25 people in ICU beds and we are going into level 5. This entire thing is beyond a joke, I'd be far from laughing if it had effected my livelihood mind you. Utterly bonkers how this is carrying on.

And me. In fact I'm amazed they're taking it so quietly but then this is Ireland where people just complain to Joe. I was listening to the guy representing the restaurants on Prime Time last night and I found him very resigned and defeatist. The hairdresser articulated the grievances of her sector so much better.

My heart really goes out to all of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,359 ✭✭✭facehugger99

It obviously shouldn't surprise me at this stage, but the incessant fear-mongering by RTE over the last 24 hours has been disgraceful. Let people enjoy the Christmas.

They are behaving abominably and are nothing more than a mouthpiece of Holoan and his 39 nodding dogs.

Oh what nonsense! I'm curious to read about people's genuine experiences. But maybe I shouldn't have asked as I've only invited the curtain twitchers to vent their anger at people going about their business. I'm not talking about people in buses and in shops where crowds can be unavoidable. I teach in a large school and I see the youngsters all the time congregating together without their masks despite our constantly reminding them to keep masked up,distanced etc. People, especially young people do what's natural. The elderly as well because they tend to forget.

I'd like to hear of genuine instances of ass holery. Blatant two fingers at society carry on. Yes your anecdote of a crowd of drunks roaring is certainly valid. Though I haven't experienced it. Then again I'm keeping my distance and not hanging around loads of people unlike the many who pontificate. The irony being them being in close proximity with all these "disgraceful" people when they claim to be so zealous about the restrictions.

So the next tactic is to attack me for......what exactly?

Being on a bus and wearing a mask? I was within the rules. The people not wearing.masks and closing windows weren't. Well the closing windows isn't violating a rule but it's definitely asshole behaviour.

For standing on a street distanced from people looking at my phone while they broke rules?

Why ask for example if your either going to insinuate the person is lying or that they themselves broke rules. Just take the examples.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,644 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Why don't you go and read up about depression and about how depressed individuals behave before you go making such a horrendously ignorant remark.

Are all people who suffer from depression smelly? If not, it's not a horrendously ignorant remark.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Pixies, Ride, Therapy?, Public Service Broadcasting, IDLES(x2), And So I Watch You From Afar

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,336 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

OK, let's drop all this "smelly" talk and get back to the topic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,852 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

There fixing the numbers here to scare us

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,644 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Some of you just can't resist the arrogant retorts and the rushing to back slap each other regardless how wrong you are.

Boggles is correct in NOTHING. He /She posted a link from an article about people being smelly. That's fair enough. But then a poster insightfully posted that people being smelly could well be due to depression. An undisputable fact. But Boggles hadn't the sense to leave well alone. Nor you either by the sounds of it. And now accusing people of faux outrage. What do you expect?? This is a public Internet forum and anyone who posts something crazy/ridiculous/outrageous will get taken to task.

Or are you just looking for a row???

The arrogance and back slapping goes both ways in this debate.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Pixies, Ride, Therapy?, Public Service Broadcasting, IDLES(x2), And So I Watch You From Afar

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement