Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part VII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,127 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

24 hours later, Tony wants retail closed too.

I always thought NPHET said they looked at long term trends and don't put much stock into day to day numbers?

https://twitter.com/Stephen_Murphy5/status/1341812230623531011

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,644 ✭✭✭Penfailed

acequion wrote: »
    I've not come across anybody on this thread suggesting that either. Why is everything black and white with some of you?

Restrictions are necessary and some closures are too. But it's the total lack of any imagination, any creativity, any balance and just wholescale national lockdowns at the drop of a hat that is the problem.

I somewhat agree. I said as much earlier in the thread. There should be a more nuanced county by county approach based on numbers. The basis of an approach like this is still restrictions and lockdowns however...

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Pixies, Ride, Therapy?, Public Service Broadcasting, IDLES(x2), And So I Watch You From Afar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Mean Laqueefa

I always thought NPHET said they looked at long term trends and don't put much stock into day to day numbers?

i was speaking to my wife earlier , its like a swat as i would have called in school, figures and such, no notion of emotion , doesnt matter how much impact it has down the road , it just fact and figures and when anyone brings up is a dope and called an idiot or conspiracy theorist.

Its horrendous what is happening in this country and people don't complain think it fine that the same gov for years have ****ed us over and dont answer for there own misgivings

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,943 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

LLMMLL wrote: »
    It's not that hard to see.

2 nights ago saw about 20 people in their 20s leaving a pub. Clearly drunk. Zero social distancing. Some not wearing masks. All bundled into taxis on their way to a house party.

How fortunate for you that you just happened to be there to witness all that at that particular location at that particular moment in time.

This makes me laugh..they say household interactions are the drivers in most cases so exactly how can they enforce such advice on household visits??. Also they recommend anyone who's come from the uk back as far as dec 11th, stay in alone and eat in bed on xmas day. Ok so why did the environment minister go to work and god knows where else, whilst he was due the second clearance test ??. What happened to restricting the movements?? He did exactly what the kerry gardai did too, who then got his positive result whilst in court...ONE RULE for the minority and a thesis of legislation for the masses...if he has the so called super strain then he will most certainly have added to hospital numbers..NO ????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

I think we still have two weeks to flatten the curve.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,590 ✭✭✭LLMMLL

Zebra3 wrote: »
    How fortunate for you that you just happened to be there to witness all that at that particular location at that particular moment in time.

Yes quite strange that the street wasn't completely empty. Because nobody has stood on a street before.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

NPHET now want non essential retail closed. One day later to Restrictions being announced. If DeGascun isn’t convinced re how infectious or dangerous this new U.K. strain is, why are they panicking so much? They did 20,000 cases today and found circa 1,000 cases. Not terrible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭acequion

LLMMLL wrote: »
    So the next tactic is to attack me for......what exactly?

Being on a bus and wearing a mask? I was within the rules. The people not wearing.masks and closing windows weren't. Well the closing windows isn't violating a rule but it's definitely asshole behaviour.

For standing on a street distanced from people looking at my phone while they broke rules?

Why ask for example if your either going to insinuate the person is lying or that they themselves broke rules. Just take the examples.

You're the one getting all defensive here and doing the attacking.

I didn't accuse you or anyone of lying or breaking rules. Just find it ironic that many of the people giving out about crowds seem to to be in the middle of them.

We might all disagree on what constitutes asshole behaviour.

And every one of us who posts have to right to ask questions, including your good self. And again including your good self we all have the right to query the replies to those questions.

So perhaps tone down the defensive attitude! Nobody is attacking you.

I see the updated CSO figures now show no deaths with/from/associated with covid19 in under 25s.
    The previous one must have been denotified.

Ep8kC-0W8AgPLeR.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,665 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

It obviously shouldn't surprise me at this stage, but the incessant fear-mongering by RTE over the last 24 hours has been disgraceful. Let people enjoy the Christmas.

They are behaving abominably and are nothing more than a mouthpiece of Holoan and his 39 nodding dogs.

Yeah was watching Prime time last night and MOC bladdering on, the lockdown and business closures won't affect her or the rest of the overpaid twats in RTE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭mike8634

NPHET now want non essential retail closed. One day later to Restrictions being announced. If DeGascun isn’t convinced re how infectious or dangerous this new U.K. strain is, why are they panicking so much? They did 20,000 cases today and found circa 1,000 cases. Not terrible.

5% positivity is good alright

They are aiming for zero Covid with that 5% and 25 in ICU

Locking down country for 25 in ICU is madness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,133 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

I've not come across anybody on this thread suggesting that either. Why is everything black and white with some of you?

Restrictions are necessary and some closures are too. But it's the total lack of any imagination, any creativity, any balance and just wholescale national lockdowns at the drop of a hat that is the problem.

you can't have creativity and balance with facts.
    facts are facts and require decisions, which we are getting.
    covid requires restrictions and if the cases go high, temporary lock down. there is nothing more that can be done to change that reality.
    no balance or creativity available.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,957 ✭✭✭billyhead

Yeah was watching Prime time last night and MOC bladdering on, the lockdown and business closures won't affect her or the rest of the overpaid twats in RTE.

Than on drivetime Cormac OHeadhra if that's how you spelled it said the new strain was more lethal and had to be corrected as this isn't known. There doom merchants in Rte. They love putting the frighteners on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,359 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Holohan is a pathetic chicken-,licken, squawking about the sky falling based on 'cases' of people who would be unaware they have Covid, were it not for a test.

Meanwhile there are a couple of dozen in ICU and this is falling.

That our elected Government repeatedly kowtow to this zealot, is shameful.

In any other country he would have been drummed out of his position years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,644 ✭✭✭Penfailed

covid requires restrictions and if the cases go high, temporary lock down. there is nothing more that can be done to change that reality.

There is though. Counties with less than five cases shouldn't have the same restrictions placed upon them as counties with greater than fifty cases.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Pixies, Ride, Therapy?, Public Service Broadcasting, IDLES(x2), And So I Watch You From Afar

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Government buildings

We were told that the first strain was deadly. Now we hear that this new strain is 70° worse. So does that mean the first strain wasn't as bad as they said?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭pgj2015

it is madness that the pubs are still open. They will be wedged again tonight, like last night.

In your opinion. But as you can see, not everybody agrees with your opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,133 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Only 25 people in ICU beds and we are going into level 5. This entire thing is beyond a joke, I'd be far from laughing if it had effected my livelihood mind you. Utterly bonkers how this is carrying on.

25 cases soon becomes 30, 35, 40, 45, 50 etc if nothing is done to minimise spread.
    lock down minimises spread hence 25 cases should either remain around that or a little over, or if not it will grow slowly enough to be managable.
    Oh what nonsense! I'm curious to read about people's genuine experiences. But maybe I shouldn't have asked as I've only invited the curtain twitchers to vent their anger at people going about their business. I'm not talking about people in buses and in shops where crowds can be unavoidable. I teach in a large school and I see the youngsters all the time congregating together without their masks despite our constantly reminding them to keep masked up,distanced etc. People, especially young people do what's natural. The elderly as well because they tend to forget.

I'd like to hear of genuine instances of ass holery. Blatant two fingers at society carry on. Yes your anecdote of a crowd of drunks roaring is certainly valid. Though I haven't experienced it. Then again I'm keeping my distance and not hanging around loads of people unlike the many who pontificate. The irony being them being in close proximity with all these "disgraceful" people when they claim to be so zealous about the restrictions.

there are no such thing as curtain twitchers, they are a myth.
    you were given an example of the behaviour you were looking for and yet you don't seem to want to take it for what it is?
    It obviously shouldn't surprise me at this stage, but the incessant fear-mongering by RTE over the last 24 hours has been disgraceful. Let people enjoy the Christmas.

They are behaving abominably and are nothing more than a mouthpiece of Holoan and his 39 nodding dogs.

there is no fear mongering by rte, facts are not fear mongering.
    it would be illegal for a broadcaster to fear monger.
    if you believe rte are fear mongering then you should submit a report to the BAI with sufficient evidence so that they can be dealt with.
    also if you want something to appeal to your views i'm sure there are plenty of youtubers available.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,279 ✭✭✭ongarite

Can't understand why pubs and restaurants are closing based on the HSE own data from contact tracing.

Last 3 weeks, zero cases associates with pubs

https://twitter.com/FergalBowers/status/1341837484871790593

Household mixing is the one they should be concentrating on with schools after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭leanin2019

ongarite wrote: »
    Can't understand why pubs and restaurants are closing based on the HSE own data from contact tracing.

Household mixing is the one they should be concentrating on with schools after that.

An outbreak is two or more cases.

They arent necessarily tracking where people originally catch a virus, but where it spreads and they can identify a clear connection between two or more cases I.e. an outbreak

leanin2019 wrote: »
    An outbreak is two or more cases.

They arent necessarily tracking where people originally catch a virus, but where it spreads and they can identify a clear connection between two or more cases I.e. an outbreak

If there were loads of covid riddled punters spreading virus in pubs and restaurants then surely a couple of staff members would pick it up thus labelling it an 'outbreak'?

25 cases soon becomes 30, 35, 40, 45, 50 etc if nothing is done to minimise spread.
    lock down minimises spread hence 25 cases should either remain around that or a little over, or if not it will grow slowly enough to be managable.

there are no such thing as curtain twitchers, they are a myth.
    you were given an example of the behaviour you were looking for and yet you don't seem to want to take it for what it is?

there is no fear mongering by rte, facts are not fear mongering.
    it would be illegal for a broadcaster to fear monger.
    if you believe rte are fear mongering then you should submit a report to the BAI with sufficient evidence so that they can be dealt with.
    also if you want something to appeal to your views i'm sure there are plenty of youtubers available.

You should go into politics. :) You'd be great in opposition where it's opposition for the sake of opposition and conviction in your own infallibility. Even when the content is rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭VonLuck

ongarite wrote: »

That doesn't make any sense. Family household outbreaks account for the vast majority of cases, but they have to pick it up from somewhere externally first. "Outbreaks" in a single household should be disregarded in the general stats in my opinion. They can't be prevented, but the initial infection can.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,128 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Rapid at home test is one option but Tony doesn't like them so we can't use them, so there.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Mean Laqueefa

JRant wrote: »
    Rapid at home test is one option but Tony doesn't like them so we can't use them, so there.

Are these free ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,122 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Fauci saying we need restrictions until October next year

• Registered Users Posts: 13,128 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Are these free ?

They cost a fraction of the PCR type lab test and are good enough to help curb a large spread of this virus.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Gael23 wrote: »
    Fauci saying we need restrictions until October next year

As i posted earlier weighing things up and my predictions the last quater 2021. But i’m open to correction.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement