Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part VII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Lundstram wrote: »
    10,000 jabs arrived into Ireland this morning. When do they start injecting you might ask. This evening? Tomorrow?

No, next Wednesday.

Ireland.

Ah sure it will be grand

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

On the non-contact training in pods of up to 15 may take place outdoors. Where can these places take place? Could I train within someone in a park or field? If I have a house on site that is an acre or 2 is that not allowed? Or are the rules very much based around city, towns and villages thinking behind them?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Piehead wrote: »
    All this tomfoolery about mental health should stop. Look at the numbers

As usual the one track mind obsession of numbers while no empathy or care for anything else. Let me guess you’ll still be recommending restrictions post vaccinations too won’t you?....:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭mike8634

10,000 jabs arrived into Ireland this morning. When do they start injecting you might ask. This evening? Tomorrow?

No, next Wednesday.

Ireland.

That's not bad lol

Privately run nursing home in my town in Limerick is saying the residents there will be vaccinated in

Wait for it

February

If they get an outbreak and some of those poor souls die, that waste of space Paul Reid in the HSE should be injected with the mutant strain

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭risteard7

You cannot leave your county after midnight tonight. Pubs and Restaurants closed. Barbers closed, disgracefully I might add. Can't go to mass, funerals, play sport. Debt increasing monumentally every week. PUP recipients rising. Suicides rising, mental health of many suffering, quietly. Damaging our youth. Can't attend college even after Harris promised they could for second term.

All for this..

EqJ2D9bXYAY_HHm?format=jpg&name=900x900

How come people are still allowed go to the Bookies? Sharing pens, all huddled around a newspaper, about 20 people cramped into a sweat box with not a care in the world. But I cant sit down and have a cup of coffee anywhere?

The gambling industry must have a big say in what decisions are made.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

No, next Wednesday.

Ireland.

That will cover about 1/20th of the HSEs staff, should be through them all by about 2022

• Registered Users Posts: 38,488 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

The vaccine **** up will be the publics fault with our shopping and house parties and the HSE will all be saints

'We can't distribute the vaccine with the hospitals been so overrun' oh wait

****ing joke in his country

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭acequion

_Kaiser_ wrote: »

The only thing we are doing with the extreme reactions to these cases (lockdowns and restrictions) is protecting the HSE's ability to respond to the needs of the latter group, and the reason that ability is a problem is because of decades of waste, mismanagement, and incompetence in the management and provision of those services. We are also protecting a weak ineffective group of politicians who are terrified they will be held to account for something (which is also a situation that existed long before CV-19).

This paragraph, in an overall brilliant post, sums up in a nutshell the sorry state we're in. It is 100% true.

And add in the short term greedy attitude of career politicians. These guys only see as far as the end of their noses and don't give a shyt re repercussions long term because by then it will be someone else's problem. So this shower are allowed borrow away merrily and borrow away they will. When payback comes these guys won't be affected like ordinary mortals. They'll be on such massive pensions they'll barely notice the few bob less in cuts and taxes. And/or moved on to some other overpaid job on top of the pension. Think Bertie Ahern. Think Brian Cowen! Meanwhile the rest of us will pick up the tab cos we're all in this together aren't we! :rolleyes:

And in case anyone isn't convinced that FF/FG/Greens won't screw us over again just look at how many of them are still there that were part of the last big mess up starting with the lead man himself.

Anyone trusting that lot not to lead us over a cliff AGAIN wants their head examined.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,488 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Once we open up again we should stay open and not 'open for a few weeks, numbers high, close down again'

• Registered Users Posts: 7,608 ✭✭✭Penfailed

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Once we open up again we should stay open and not 'open for a few weeks, numbers high, close down again'

Why? What do you suggest we do when the numbers go up? When you say, "open up again," what do you mean? No restrictions? Some restrictions?

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Ride, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,811 ✭✭✭hynesie08

PTH2009 wrote: »
    The vaccine **** up will be the publics fault with our shopping and house parties and the HSE will all be saints

'We can't distribute the vaccine with the hospitals been so overrun' oh wait

****ing joke in his country

Are you getting angry at a scenario you created in your own head?

hynesie08 wrote: »

It's not the first time.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Ride, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

hynesie08 wrote: »

Let’s face it, it’s a scenario that’s going to happen! It’s just a matter of time!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,123 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Piehead wrote: »
    COVID death rates per govt stats

No point looking at Covid in isolation excess mortality is the important metric

Believe it or not people die every day of a variety of causes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Birdie Num Num

Penfailed wrote: »
    It's not the first time.

Nor an exception to the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

Cyrus wrote: »
    No point looking at Covid in isolation excess mortality is the important metric

Believe it or not people die every day of a variety of causes.

About 30000 a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,852 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

mike8634 wrote: »
    That's not bad lol

Privately run nursing home in my town in Limerick is saying the residents there will be vaccinated in

Wait for it

February

If they get an outbreak and some of those poor souls die, that waste of space Paul Reid in the HSE should be injected with the mutant strain

Dates were announced. My fathers is the 14th of jan. And every nursing home in limerick will have its first dose by end of jan.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭patnor1011

Why? What do you suggest we do when the numbers go up? When you say, "open up again," what do you mean? No restrictions? Some restrictions?

What numbers?
    Hardly anyone is expiring, ICU's are pretty quiet and hospitals are empty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭46 Long

I would submit that locking down an entire country and destroying countless livelihoods and businesses in the process is not a proportionate response to a virus with a 99% survival rate that infected 0.03% of the population today.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

The problem Mike is people AREN'T looking at the numbers, otherwise they'd see the facts they contain.

Instead they're relying on media personalities and selected "experts" to explain it for them, and it's apparently not occurring to them to ask why, if things are so bad, we HAVEN'T seen the hospitals swamped with ICU cases and why we HAVEN'T seen dozens or even hundreds of deaths every day.

It should be obvious that something doesn't add up, but unfortunately many think only in headlines and twitter posts (another problem long before but magnified by CV-19) and don't bother delving any deeper than that.

because of lockdowns.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

froog wrote: »
    because of lockdowns.

The 1950s Catholic Ireland science ethos is alive and well

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭fran38

I apologise if this has been answered already but I wont trawl countless pages to see if it has. Are the Gardai setting up checkpoints like before do we know?

fran38 wrote: »
    I apologise if this has been answered already but I wont trawl countless pages to see if it has. Are the Gardai setting up checkpoints like before do we know?

You can be sure they'll be at the same spots as before. Do they have power to do anything or just advise?

I can see them making a balls of it too where one of them unplugs the chiller to charge their EyePhone and destroys an entire batch.

You forgot that someone will see it unplugged and they'll say I didn't have the training to plug it back it or wasn't in my job description to plug it in.

patnor1011 wrote: »
    What numbers?
    Hardly anyone is expiring, ICU's are pretty quiet and hospitals are empty.

Why don't you ask the fella that I quoted? It was his 'numbers' that I was referring to.

46 Long wrote: »
    I would submit that locking down an entire country and destroying countless livelihoods and businesses in the process is not a proportionate response to a virus with a 99% survival rate that infected 0.03% of the population today.

The 'no restrictions' version of open up? Some restrictions? If 'some', what ones?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,474 ✭✭✭robbiezero

fran38 wrote: »

"Headin back home after the Christmas guard".

Thats all you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

46 Long wrote: »

And are you going to answer any of the post you quoted?

Don't really read this thread anymore but glad to see the same replies being regurgitated.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

froog wrote: »
    because of lockdowns.

Not so... Let's review:

- We weren't locked down in the summer months and the country was almost fully reopened with no travel restrictions or even masks.... Zero deaths many days, and minimal cases.
    "But.. Lockdown!" I hear you say again. Nope, because again, people were free to move about from late May, kids were out playing, and everything bar pubs was open yet cases/deaths continued to fall during this period.

- Despite lockdowns, masks and travel restrictions in the autumn and winter months, cases have continued to increase... Yet there are still minimal deaths and ICU hospitalisations however - which by the way is a good thing!

From this empirical evidence we can extrapolate a number of things..

- lockdowns are ineffective at controlling the spread of the virus. The low numbers during the summer months are more likely the result of this being a seasonal illness like other similar viruses

- The virus is nowhere near as deadly as was feared in February/March. Yes it's dangerous to some people (generally the same people who are at serious risk from flu at this time of the year), but thankfully we didn't and will not see the 80,000 dead that was initially predicted in some of the models

- NPHET and Government's response to the situation (while wholly correct in those early days when information was thin and models were all that was available) has completely failed to keep pace with the changing and observed reality that has emerged, and is become disproportionate to the actual levels of risk involved - but then, it's now more about protecting HSE mismanagement and incompetence over the last few decades, and the careers of weak ineffective politicians, than people at this stage

As for the future?

- I fully expect that once we get into the warmer weather in late spring that the numbers will fall off a cliff as they did this year.
    This will of course be attributed to the success of restrictions and lockdowns (just as you're doing above) but the reality will be that it's more the result of the seasonal nature of the virus.
    But that's beside the point really because it's more about protecting the careers of the people in charge as I said previously so they can escape the inevitable tribunals and enquiries that will follow yet.

- The rollout of the vaccine will be completely mishandled with delays, mistakes and no doubt wasted batches because of this all featuring over the next few months, but we'll eventually - several months later than everywhere else in Europe - get everyone who wants it vaccinated. I fully expect that some form of restrictions will continue well into the summer and autumn though

- Budget 2022 will NOT be pretty as, even if we're behind everyone else in rolling out the vaccine, other countries will start counting the costs of all this and loans will need to be repaid.
    FG and Leo will be due to take over not long into that budgetary cycle and they won't be keen on presiding over another round of Austerity Years. Expect lots of retirements (in FG and FF) before they take over - although I think it's equally possible that one side of the other will bring down the Government instead by then so as to not have to face it at all.
    The only ones who will pay will be the taxpayer as usual.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

Not so... Let's review:

- We weren't locked down in the summer months and the country was almost fully reopened with no travel restrictions or even masks.... Zero deaths many days, and minimal cases.
    "But.. Lockdown!" I hear you say again. Nope, because again, people were free to move about from late May, kids were out playing, and everything bar pubs was open yet cases/deaths continued to fall during this period.

- Despite lockdowns, masks and travel restrictions in the autumn and winter months, cases have continued to increase... Yet there are still minimal deaths and ICU hospitalisations however - which by the way is a good thing!

From this empirical evidence we can extrapolate a number of things..

- lockdowns are ineffective at controlling the spread of the virus. The low numbers during the summer months are more likely the result of this being a seasonal illness like other similar viruses

- The virus is nowhere near as deadly as was feared in February/March. Yes it's dangerous to some people (generally the same people who are at serious risk from flu at this time of the year), but thankfully we didn't and will not see the 80,000 dead that was initially predicted in some of the models

- NPHET and Government's response to the situation (while wholly correct in those early days when information was thin and models were all that was available) has completely failed to keep pace with the changing and observed reality that has emerged, and is become disproportionate to the actual levels of risk involved - but then, it's now more about protecting HSE mismanagement and incompetence over the last few decades, and the careers of weak ineffective politicians, than people at this stage

As for the future?

- I fully expect that once we get into the warmer weather in late spring that the numbers will fall off a cliff as they did this year.
    This will of course be attributed to the success of restrictions and lockdowns (just as you're doing above) but the reality will be that it's more the result of the seasonal nature of the virus.
    But that's beside the point really because it's more about protecting the careers of the people in charge as I said previously so they can escape the inevitable tribunals and enquiries that will follow yet.

- The rollout of the vaccine will be completely mishandled with delays, mistakes and no doubt wasted batches because of this all featuring over the next few months, but we'll eventually - several months later than everywhere else in Europe - get everyone who wants it vaccinated. I fully expect that some form of restrictions will continue well into the summer and autumn though

- Budget 2022 will NOT be pretty as, even if we're behind everyone else in rolling out the vaccine, other countries will start counting the costs of all this and loans will need to be repaid.
    FG and Leo will be due to take over not long into that budgetary cycle and they won't be keen on presiding over another round of Austerity Years. Expect lots of retirements (in FG and FF) before they take over - although I think it's equally possible that one side of the other will bring down the Government instead by then so as to not have to face it at all.
    The only ones who will pay will be the taxpayer as usual.

If you stay away from people you can't get the virus. This is the theory behind lockdowns. My god like a child can understand this.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement