Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part VII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Jesus it’s really going to be a grim few months isn’t it. January and February are ordinarily not the nicest of months but extended lockdown and fear mongering will make it worse than normal. The real kick in the stones will be if other countries are getting back to normal and we’re left in perpetual lockdown. I’m hopeful of an improvement by March.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,852 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Gael23 wrote: »
    But once residents in nursing homes are vaccinated they should be allowed have more regular visitors

Only if the vaccine stops them from spreading to another person. At the moment it doesn't seem to do that.

Jesus it’s really going to be a grim few months isn’t it. January and February are ordinarily not the nicest of months but extended lockdown and fear mongering will make it worse than normal. The real kick in the stones will be if other countries are getting back to normal and we’re left in perpetual lockdown. I’m hopeful of an improvement by March.

Unfortunately, it is very likely that other countries will be back to normal long before us.

Most other countries are already vaccinating. In Ireland, there are grumblings about training, consent, IT systems. Basically things that everyone else appears to have gotten done.

And Leo mentioning restrictions for “months” today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Parabellum9

Unfortunately, it is very likely that other countries will be back to normal long before us.

Most other countries are already vaccinating. In Ireland, there are grumblings about training, consent, IT systems. Basically things that everyone else appears to have gotten done.

Leo is talking out of his hole - once the frontline and most vulnerable are vaccinated, any excuses for continued lockdowns and restrictions are done for.

Leo is talking out of his hole - once the frontline and most vulnerable are vaccinated, any excuses for continued lockdowns and restrictions are done for.

Says who though? NPHET? I don’t think so. And Leo is the Tanaiste and in the cabinet so you’d have to imagine this is the govt view also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,085 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

Only if the vaccine stops them from spreading to another person. At the moment it doesn't seem to do that.

All Vaccines stop spread.
    The only reason ‘It doesn’t seem to do that’ is because this one has only been studied in large numbers for 3 months so they don’t have the data yet to prove anything.

It’s the same as the scare story that was around months ago that there was no proof that prior infection gives you immunity.
    Now that it has been proven that prior infection gives ‘at least’ 6 months immunity (because 6 months is as long as subjects have been studied) that scare story is not talked about any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

Says who though? NPHET? I don’t think so. And Leo is the Tanaiste and in the cabinet so you’d have to imagine this is the govt view also.

Well if he is taking trough his hoola it wouldn’t be the first time he has said one thing when the rest in government think another!

Well if he is taking trough his hoola it wouldn’t be the first time he has said one thing when the rest in government think another!

I hope you are right. The danger is that NPHET and the Lockdown4eva supporters decide that we’ll drag this out to the summer and beyond.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

I said the exact same thing in the other thread that the HSE are going to make a balls of this roll out a couple of weeks ago and got hammered for it.

The amount of red tape that the HSE will put in place is ridiculous. I spoke to a nurse last week who said she wont be administering the vaccine until she is "retrained"
    I asked was it any different to administering any other vaccine and I got an answer that it wasn't!!!! If this is the mentality then we are looking at another 6 months plus of lockdowns.

What we need is drive through vaccine centres setup in each and every major shopping centre car park that's closed off.
    20 stations (vaccination stations)set up at a time. A waiting area for the 15 minutes you are supposed to wait until you are sure you have no adverse affects and then off you go.

Each station could probably vaccinate 10-15 people per hour. With 20 stations that's 200-300 people per hour. Open it for 12 hours a day and you are vaccinating 2400-3600 every day. Have one station in every county. Then you are vaccinating 60000-93,000 a day. In 55-75 days you`d have the entire country ie every man, woman or child vaccinated.

But no we will do things differently. And we`ll still be vaccinating next December saying 2022 is going to be a good year!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,852 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

All Vaccines stop spread.
    The only reason ‘It doesn’t seem to do that’ is because this one has only been studied in large numbers for 3 months so they don’t have the data yet to prove anything.

It’s the same as the scare story that was around months ago that there was no proof that prior infection gives you immunity.
    Now that it has been proven that prior infection gives ‘at least’ 6 months immunity (because 6 months is as long as subjects have been studied) that scare story is not talked about any more.

Time will tell and should become obvious once over 65 are vaccinated

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

. There will be lots of agendas to keep lockdown going.

Oh i don’t doubt that one bit.

Leo’s exact words : "I think that with the vaccine now being available, I think there would be a case of saying to the Irish people that we should keep these restrictions in place until such a time that we have protected our healthcare workers and most vulnerable."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Lundstram

A new day and another day of 10,000 vaccines sitting idle in a fridge in Dublin while a stringent lockdown grips the country. Portugal flat out today injecting, they expect to have 70,000 citizens done by the end of the week. UK nearing 700k, Czech Republic started vaccinating yesterday morning with their prime-minister getting it first. Many more examples of other nations hard at work getting their people protected as we speak.

In good old Paddyland, politicians are on Twitter bickering over who was right and who was wrong.

Shameless.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,811 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Lundstram wrote: »
    A new day and another day of 10,000 vaccines sitting idle in a fridge in Dublin while a stringent lockdown grips the country. Portugal flat out today injecting, they expect to have 70,000 citizens done by the end of the week. UK nearing 700k, Czech Republic started vaccinating yesterday morning with their prime-minister getting it first. Many more examples of other nations hard at work getting their people protected as we speak.

In good old Paddyland, politicians are on Twitter bickering over who was right and who was wrong.

Shameless.

Meanwhile Italy got a few hundred doses for pr and the Netherlands still have no plans to vaccinate till the 8th.........

It's almost like countries are different.....

hynesie08 wrote: »
    Meanwhile Italy got a few hundred doses for pr and the Netherlands still have no plans to vaccinate till the 8th.........

It's almost like countries are different.....
    What's with all the full-stops?

Italy started vaccinating yesterday.

Netherlands have a clear and precise plan from the 8th, they're developing an IT system which will be the envy of the world, now that's a nation that will catch up and surpass many countries.

Meanwhile, in Ireland, we'll have someone using Excel.

You named two countries out of about 200, one has started, the other has a steadfast and clear plan. Ireland has not started and have no clear plan and no IT system of note.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Hellrazer wrote: »
    I said the exact same thing in the other thread that the HSE are going to make a balls of this roll out a couple of weeks ago and got hammered for it.

The amount of red tape that the HSE will put in place is ridiculous. I spoke to a nurse last week who said she wont be administering the vaccine until she is "retrained"
    I asked was it any different to administering any other vaccine and I got an answer that it wasn't!!!! If this is the mentality then we are looking at another 6 months plus of lockdowns.

What we need is drive through vaccine centres setup in each and every major shopping centre car park that's closed off.
    20 stations (vaccination stations)set up at a time. A waiting area for the 15 minutes you are supposed to wait until you are sure you have no adverse affects and then off you go.

Each station could probably vaccinate 10-15 people per hour. With 20 stations that's 200-300 people per hour. Open it for 12 hours a day and you are vaccinating 2400-3600 every day. Have one station in every county. Then you are vaccinating 60000-93,000 a day. In 55-75 days you`d have the entire country ie every man, woman or child vaccinated.

But no we will do things differently. And we`ll still be vaccinating next December saying 2022 is going to be a good year!!!

Great plan. Devoid of any sort of reality though.

Firstly what sort of trained staffing levels are you talking about?

Secondly We don't have that amount vaccine and even if we had unless you are advocating for mandatory vaccination, I doubt every "every man, woman or child" will be vaccinated.

Also I imagine "every major shopping center" won't be on board with commandeering their car parks for 75 days or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,126 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

https://twitter.com/MichaelMDowling/status/1343335433615380483

Another Twitter hero denouncing people for having the audacity to question the most expensive per capita health service in the EU.

Another hero offering zero insight or solutions just denouncing the little people who should just pay their taxes and shut their mouths.

Another loser seeking validation from other HSE apologists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

I be more worried we have a big order in for AstraZeneca(?uk) one which is not approved or affective. Only small orders for the affective ones.

I would say over 65's will be done by end of March

“We”, as in Ireland, have no orders in. The EU is doing the ordering and distributing it amongst its members.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

I said the exact same thing in the other thread that the HSE are going to make a balls of this roll out a couple of weeks ago and got hammered for it

Someone said on this thread a few weeks back when discussing the vaccine “The HSE couldn’t roll out pastry” and I have to said I spat my cornflakes out, because it was the most true statement I think I’ve ever read on this forum! If we think this 4 day delay* thing is a scandal, just wait till we see what lies around the corner!

*I read they have moved it forward and are starting tomorrow with the vaccines instead of Tuesday.

Another Twitter hero denouncing people for having the audacity to question the most expensive per capita health service in the EU.

Another hero offering zero insight or solutions just denouncing the little people who should just pay their taxes and shut their mouths.

How about we manage your next surgery or serious illness by crowdsourcing 'expertise' from boards posters? Would you be up for that approach?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

How about we manage your next surgery or serious illness by crowdsourcing 'expertise' from boards posters? Would you be up for that approach?

Having been at the receiving end of my daughter waiting 2+ years for spinal surgery if those "crowdsourcing" experts could have got the job done quicker Id have gladly let them at.

An operation that could have been 2 hours ended up being 8.5 due to their inability to organise a piss up. And if you want to really get into it it ended up costing the tax payer 100k instead of 10k.

You're not allowed to question the HSE or NPHET.
    They are our heroes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,324 ✭✭✭facehugger99

How about we hold the HSE, politicians and other vested interests to account for the shambles of a health service we have?

We pump 10's of billions into it every year for a terrible service.

We currently have a couple of hundred people in hospital with Covid and a couple of dozen in ICU and we are in lockdown because apparently in a country of nearly 5 million, this is stretching the health service to breaking point.

What a joke, but sure as long as there are clappy-seals lapping up the sh;te they have being shovelled it won't be improving anytime soon.

Having been at the receiving end of my daughter waiting 2+ years for spinal surgery if those "crowdsourcing" experts could have got the job done quicker Id have gladly let them at.

An operation that could have been 2 hours ended up being 8.5 due to their inability to organise a piss up. And if you want to really get into it it ended up costing the tax payer 100k instead of 10k.

That's not an answer to the question asked though, is it?

Will you let the Boards.ie experts guide your next surgery for your family member?

Another swipe at the people questioning the HSE. Again no insight or reasons, just smart alec jibes.

Thankfully most intelligent posters see through this deflection.

How about we hold the HSE, politicians and other vested interests to account for the shambles of a health service we have?

We pump 10's of billions into it every year for a terrible service.

We currently have a couple of hundred people in hospital with Covid and a couple of dozen in ICU and we are in lockdown because apparently in a country of nearly 5 million, this is stretching the health service to breaking point.

What a joke, but sure as long as there are clappy-seals lapping up the sh;te they have being shovelled it won't be improving anytime soon.

If you're going to hold anybody accountable for anything, you might want to get your basic facts right first. The HSE budget for 2020 is €17 billion - not '10s of billions'. To be exact, it is '1 x ten billion' and a good chunk of another ten billion, but not tens of billions.

But yeah, you can't go to the pub so we should open everything up and wait for the hospitals to overload before we do anything, right?

But yeah, you can't go to the pub so we should open everything up and wait for the hospitals to overload before we do anything, right?

Nobody mentioned the pub, only you.

Another swipe at the people questioning the HSE. Again no insight or reasons, just smart alec jibes.

Thankfully most intelligent posters see through this deflection.

People can question the HSE about anything they like. Most of those asking the questions might as well be looking into the inside of a nuclear reactor or a Land Rover engine and asking questions about it. As a general rule, they haven't got a clue what they're talking about.

If you're going to hold anybody accountable for anything, you might want to get your basic facts right first. The HSE budget for 2020 is €17 billion - not '10s of billions'. To be exact, it is '1 x ten billion' and a good chunk of another ten billion, but not tens of billions.

A limit on health spending next year has been set at just above €22 billion in Budget 2021 announced this week (Tuesday, October 13), allowing €5 million for Brexit-related measures and €1,881m for Covid-19 related expenditure.

Since you're being so pedantic.

It's 10s of billions.

Get your facts right.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Someone said on this thread a few weeks back when discussing the vaccine “The HSE couldn’t roll out pastry” and I have to said I spat my cornflakes out, because it was the most true statement I think I’ve ever read on this forum! If we think this 4 day delay* thing is a scandal, just wait till we see what lies around the corner!

*I read they have moved it forward and are starting tomorrow with the vaccines instead of Tuesday.

It’s starting Tuesday rather than Wednesday.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement