Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part VII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Thats me

Yes I’ve already made reference to capacity being finite.

My concern is just how much of a problem are HAIs? Whether some want more or less restrictions is irrelevant if HAIs might threaten capacity even with low hospital admissions.

% of cases in healthcare workers may be indirect indication:

534023.png

My understanding - everything was bad until August, especially when new cases were very low it looks like HCWs were sharing covid between themselves. But later situation improved (from recently it seem improved even more, as i can see non-covid patients are having same day check before entering hospital).

After the spike of infection 20th October, we see increased number of hospitalisations with following increase in % of new cases in HCWs.

Conclusion: if you do not want infection in the hospitals - don't get infected, isolate.

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭aziz

You are correct and I will edit my post - it's over €2bn a month.

No panic everyone

Phew,thank god for that,thought we were in trouble there

• Registered Users Posts: 8,379 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

You are correct and I will edit my post - it's over €2bn a month.

No panic everyone

Pffft 2 bn a month to keep the lights on.

Pocket money

That’s only a children’s hospital a month

Only about €8000 since March for every adult working in Ireland

I can’t see a need for austerity

• Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭VonLuck

Covid is taking up 10% of ICU beds. The lack of beds is not Covid fault. It the fact that when cases were low, the government did nothing to fix it.

And what can the government do now? They can't just magic ICU beds. That takes years of investment.

You're essentially saying "I didn't create this mess so why should I help". Imagine if everyone had that attitude.

Over on the main thread, they are calling Prof O’Neils Christmas dinner advice sensible!!!

I’m guessing exchanging gifts and pulling Christmas crackers is off the menu as well?

I suppose we could tie lengths of rope out of the crackers and pull from a distance

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 547 ✭✭✭BeefeaterHat

VonLuck wrote: »
    And what can the government do now? They can't just magic ICU beds. That takes years of investment.

You're essentially saying "I didn't create this mess so why should I help". Imagine if everyone had that attitude.

Sweden doubled their ICU capacity over the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Rrrrrr2

Sweden doubled their ICU capacity over the summer.

So unlike Nphet and co they actually did something useful?

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭mikekerry

Rrrrrr2 wrote: »

Bring your own dinnerware folks.
    https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/1124/1180132-covid19-coronavirus-ireland/

Yeah this is the nation of the Antichrist, Sweden who hate the weak and elderly according to the main thread.

mikekerry wrote: »

"Stick grandpa by the window and have a good breeze blowing through, and this will really decrease the risk, so it is possible to have a Christmas together,"

So rather than grandpa catching a mild cold he is now suffering from severe hypothermia

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭mikekerry

"Stick grandpa by the window and have a good breeze blowing through, and this will really decrease the risk, so it is possible to have a Christmas together,"

So rather than grandpa catching a mild cold he is now suffering from severe hypothermia

seriously this guy ( O' neill) must be insane.
    you couldn't be right in the head to come out with stuff like that.

seriously this guy ( O' neill) must be insane.
    you couldn't be right in the head to come out with stuff like that.

Well the British authorities were suggesting socially distanced dog shows and frisbee competitions as ways to keep people entertained so this whole crisis has proven that the stereotype of the socially ignorant and inept scientist is somewhat justified

• Closed Accounts Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Thierry12

Can some journalist please follow that eejit O'Neill around for a few days

He can't possibly.practice what he preaches?

Like RTE

He has an A4 list of crap at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

"Don't pass the gravy boat"
    These kind of utterances, while well intentioned, only serve to reduce how seriously people take the message.

"Pass the gravy" says your father 2 feet away

"No sorry dad it might be the death of you"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Parabellum9

It’s high time they mind their own ****ing business, people will have whatever sort of Xmas dinner they feel appropriate in their own home, we don’t need any advice from these overpaid mouthpieces on that.

These kind of utterances, while well intentioned, only serve to reduce how seriously people take the message.

Just pick it up with a pair of salad tongs and scoot it over to him inch by inch until it's near him. The common sense approach

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

I don’t know, it could be good advice - gravy isn’t great for the arteries. In fact Christmas dinner itself is probably more of a health risk to most of us. We could probably live an extra 2 years if we lived in isolation and ate salad.

Multipass wrote: »
    I don’t know, it could be good advice - gravy isn’t great for the arteries. In fact Christmas dinner itself is probably more of a health risk to most of us. We could probably live an extra 2 years if we lived in isolation and ate salad.

Dr Holohan is deeply concerned about the growth rate of Yorkshire pudding consumption. The next two puds are crucial.

Multipass wrote: »

As jack Nicholson said "when I die I wanna be sick not fit and healthy"!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

I think there is crossed wires here.... most cases are not hospital acquired, but most hospital cases are acquired in hospital. I think this is what the initial poster meant to say

Of the near 300 cases in hospital with covid. It's true that some of them are in for other reasons and contracted while in there. And now contribute towards the numbers reported for hospital cases. My uncle being one who came off his bike and wasn't let home because he kept pulling the neck brace off in his sleep. He then caught covid in there as did 6 others in his non covid ward.

IHowever of the near 300 hospital cases the number that is being reported as acquired in hospital is not out of that hospital case figure. I think I seen 282 cases in hospital or something. And then 212 cases required in hospital. And it seems to be equated that the 212 for example is from the 282 figure. It's not. Most people that acquired in hospital are not admitted. They are sent home to isolate once their other reason for being in hospital warrants a discharge. Unless they have complications due to covid. A lot don't.

I know the figures above may not be exact. I was trying to remember the numbers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

all this comes back to the old Irish saying “ shur it’l be grand”. You have the government doing what Irish governments have done for the last 99 years, stick their heads in the sand with the hope that it’ll all blow over. It reminds me in a way of the last morning of the 1st world war, they all knew it was coming but hundreds charged into battle and were killed because of ego and incompetence.

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Rrrrrr2

all this comes back to the old Irish saying “ shur it’l be grand”. You have the government doing what Irish governments have done for the last 99 years, stick their heads in the sand with the hope that it’ll all blow over. It reminds me in a way of the last morning of the 1st world war, they all knew it was coming but hundreds charged into battle and were killed because of ego and incompetence.

Nah it’s the exact opposite happening- Irish government has been sticking its nose into every nook and cranny of business and personal life for the best part of a year now. Not achieving very much. And the vast majority are sick of it now

Fair play to Tomas, he'll keep pluggin away like a broken clock until MTV pay for his lab the way they did for Cool hand Luke O'Neil..

https://www.msn.com/en-ie/news/coronavirus/ireland-lockdown-top-doctor-predicts-severer-restrictions-third-wave-and-thousands-of-cases-in-christmas-warning/ar-BB1bj7pn?li=BBr5KbJ

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭aziz

rusty cole wrote: »
    As jack Nicholson said "when I die I wanna be sick not fit and healthy"!!:D

Or my favourite “when I die,I want to die of something because I hate to die of nothing “

Nah it’s the exact opposite happening- Irish government has been sticking its nose into every nook and cranny of business and personal life for the best part of a year now. Not achieving very much. And the vast majority are sick of it now

You must not get thee same news wherever you are. Ireland should be testing people in the same way they’ve done In Liverpool or population is small enough for it. They could be afraid of the results or more likely their incompetent. Just like all before them.

It’s high time they mind their own ****ing business, people will have whatever sort of Xmas dinner they feel appropriate in their own home, we don’t need any advice from these overpaid mouthpieces on that.

I think trump would do well here if he legs it out of the states.

rusty cole wrote: »
    Fair play to Tomas, he'll keep pluggin away like a broken clock until MTV pay for his lab the way they did for Cool hand Luke O'Neil..

https://www.msn.com/en-ie/news/coronavirus/ireland-lockdown-top-doctor-predicts-severer-restrictions-third-wave-and-thousands-of-cases-in-christmas-warning/ar-BB1bj7pn?li=BBr5KbJ

I’m not a conspiracy theorist but I just don’t trust those dam experts

I actually think it's gone beyond scary at this stage between Twitter leaks, goalposts being moved, age and profiles being omitted and now being told that you cannot have people round at Xmas unless they're on the guest list sanctioned by NPHET this is checkpoint charlie sort of stuff now, I may as well hit the steroids, get a vest and an eyepatch and change my name to snake!

I really am starting to wonder WTF is goin on now and how we're being dragged down deeper by these sharks, I really believe Tony has been given a goal or a job to do with carte blanche and to hell with normal people.

He's worried that there's now a finger pointing culture but funnily enough now he wasnt bothered when the fingers were being pointed at you and I, god forbid we should extend our own digits and point in the direction of Dublin 4, MONTROSE!

anyone who's not happy should vote with their remote control on Friday!! dont pay their wages..keep your TV off RTE and go download scrooge or anything that really takes you away from it all. The Late Late toy show always reminds me of the fairground scene in Pinocchio anyway...sinister with a wide eyed top hat wearing Tubridy up on a high!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭dalyboy

I’m not a conspiracy theorist but I just don’t trust those dam experts

So you only trust the “experts” that suit yours or the media’s narrative?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭AssetBacked2

I think trump would do well here if he legs it out of the states.

Unlikely. If you can recall from the recent election, the electorate flat out rejected right wing nuts, in favour of left wing populists (SF and Greens) mixed with our typical centrist (FF and FG) parties.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement