Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part VII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

darconio wrote: »
    I know I wonder if his family is still alive having contracted a virus so contagious and deadly.
    1 person dies in the world at the age of 41 due to complication from covid and we get the "I told you so" comments, but when the majority of people affected are the elderly nobody bothers about tweets and fb posts. I wonder if they get the same sympathy and visibility the thousands people dying every day from famine, cardiovascular disease and so on...

By the way, I know it's very tricky to get a jab of this magic vaccine, but I was wondering with more than 100000 tests performed daily during the xmas period, they couldn't administer the vaccine at the same time? I know it would make sense, and that disagree completely with the modus operandi of this government...

Apart from facts like we don't have that amount of vaccines and test centers wouldn't be setup for vaccinations.

It's not currently recommended to give people that have the virus the vaccine.

With almost 15% positive rate yesterday, that would mean a lot of wasted precious vaccine.

So no, it wouldn't make sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

HBC08 wrote: »
    This thread has been an interesting insight for me since it all began.I was really flabbergasted with the nonsense spouted on here and dismayed that people actually held these views. As things went on and I began to talk to friends,family and wider acquaintances I realised that the views on this thread were not of the majority,not even a large minority but of a lunatic fringe.
    This was actually a watershed moment for me and I learned not to take idiots on the internet too seriously.
    I'm on this thread now as I find it entertaining safe in the knowledge its a million miles from real people and the real world.

And yet even the mainstream media admit that buy-in among the population to the continuing restrictions has fallen - the fact that Holohan and Co are complaining about increased social mixing would support that too. If the majority are so concerned, why are they doing such things?

By all means continue to feel safe in your views, but I think you'll find that more and more people have had enough of NPHET jumping to the nuclear option every time and the ineffectiveness of the result - we were told that by going to level 5 in November we'd have a meaningful Christmas. As was said on Newstalk a few minutes ago we barely got that and many didn't get it at all. Now it'll be the promise of the vaccine and saving Paddy's Day or the summer holidays perhaps! :rolleyes:

Most people are fed up with it and are realising that lockdowns solve nothing except cause more hardship and frustration. Cases go up, cases go down.. So what? The OUTCOME of those cases is the important metric and those outcomes remain overwhelmingly positive with ICU numbers still very low regardless, and deaths continue to be even lower - both of which are a very good thing!

Of course some people are at real risk and they should continue to take precautions and look after themselves, but luckily CV-19 is not the highly deadly virus to populations it was feared to be back in March and the 80000 deaths predicted didn't and will not happen (I personally think we'll be at significantly under 5000 by the end of this - even allowing for the inaccurate metrics used)

What's clear from all this is the massive levels of begrudgery and envy in Irish people. Again on the radio this morning was a text complaining about a neighbour having 'too many' visitors at Christmas while they themselves had a limited one - curtain twitching AND virtue signalling in one!
    This has always been the 'national passtime' (we saw it in the Tiger years with new BMWs and decking for all, and worrying about what those same neighbours were 'getting'/'getting away with it' in the Recession) but it's been magnified to extreme levels during the last few months.

I think you might be confusing the above with the idea of support for the current measures perhaps!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,125 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Boggles wrote: »
    Apart from facts like we don't have that amount of vaccines and test centers wouldn't be setup for vaccinations.

It's not currently recommended to give people that have the virus the vaccine.

With almost 15% positive rate yesterday, that would mean a lot of wasted precious vaccine.

So no, it wouldn't make sense.
    Add in the fact the majority of vaccines require really expensive hard to source equipment to store it and transport it in....along with the global demand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭doublejobbing 2

I'm not happy about it but ffs can we show a bit of resilience? The the most shocking thing about the pandemic is how quickly some have crumpled.

The people who were crying in April about how the restrictions were killing them were pretty funny and weak.

9 months later, a time in which the government could have eliminated the virus by banning recreational travel (or at least mandatory quarantine a la Australia), a time when they kept pubs closed / semi closed to an extent not seen anywhere in Europe and with the express intent of permanently changing our pub culture, a time when non essential retail was shut, which will lead to an absolutely catastrophic black hole in VAT receipts in the Christmas run in (everyone bought presents online- shops were half deserted even when lockdown lifted), when you have the Green Party using Covid as a cover to further take away motorists rights in Dublin, when FF FG used the emergency to form arguably the most unpopular government in history.

All in the name of a virus that, while serious, is not even vaguely as dangerous as we were led to believe when the media were showing footage of young people apparently dropping unconscious on the streets of Wuhan, when they were claiming a drop in Chinese mobile subscriptions indicated millions may have died already from the virus, before most people were aware that all deaths with COVID in the system were being labelled as a Covid death, before people realised that less people have died of or with Covid in winter 2020 than normally die from flu in a normal winter, before people realised that 50 percent of deaths were of people over the age of 82 and the vast majority of these people were already on death's door.
    When hundreds of these people died in nursing homes as they were already so frail and dying there was never any point in attempting to bring them to hospital.
    I think 11 months in people are entitled to get a bit narky when all of the above is taken into account.

Gyms will close,I predicted this yesterday.
    This will hit me particularly hard as I'm rehabbing a back injury and cant run,do weights or even walk that much the only thing I could do was swim and it looks like the pools will close.Im really bummed about this and it's a major inconvenience, I'm sure many on here will have a similar reaction to non essential retail or gyms being closed.
    This wont get many thanks on this loonbag thread but its important to distinguish between an inconvenience and playing the mental health card.Its a sh1t situation and it's needs to be dealt with,we need to suck it up for a few months.
    I'm not happy about it but ffs can we show a bit of resilience? The the most shocking thing about the pandemic is how quickly some have crumpled.

Are you showing resilience on a full salary or not?

Or is the inconvenience of gyms closing the only impact on you personally?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,474 ✭✭✭HBC08

Are you showing resilience on a full salary or not?

Or is the inconvenience of gyms closing the only impact on you personally?

This seems to be your default position,if you're still working full time you don't get to have an opinion.
    I'm a special needs assistant and still work full time,the pandemic has made my job and the life of my service user very difficult,we just get on with it to be honest,it's a sh1tty situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

Gyms will close,I predicted this yesterday.
    This will hit me particularly hard as I'm rehabbing a back injury and cant run,do weights or even walk that much the only thing I could do was swim and it looks like the pools will close.Im really bummed about this and it's a major inconvenience, I'm sure many on here will have a similar reaction to non essential retail or gyms being closed.
    This wont get many thanks on this loonbag thread but its important to distinguish between an inconvenience and playing the mental health card.Its a sh1t situation and it's needs to be dealt with,we need to suck it up for a few months.

One post away from “ye wouldn’t have lasted longer during the 2nd world war” here or “just suck it up and watch Netflix”

Btw plenty are suffering with mental health one I know down here had their mental health suffering so bad they took the ultimate step unfortunately but when tested he didn’t have COVID so he doesn’t matter.

All in the name of a virus that, while serious, is not even vaguely as dangerous as we were led to believe when the media were showing footage of young people apparently dropping unconscious on the streets of Wuhan, when they were claiming a drop in Chinese mobile subscriptions indicated millions may have died already from the virus,

You mean conspiracy loons on Twitter?

If that is your "media" of choice then I'm afraid you don't get to complain about it, never been easier to fact check BS.

This seems to be your default position,if you're still working full time you don't get to have an opinion.
    I'm a special needs assistant and still work full time,the pandemic has made my job and the life of my service user very difficult,we just get on with it to be honest,it's a sh1tty situation.

So you are getting a full salary...

And telling others that may have lost their business/job/income to just “show resilience”

No further questions from me.

the kelt wrote: »
    One post away from “ye wouldn’t have lasted longer during the 2nd world war” here or “just suck it up and watch Netflix”

Btw plenty are suffering with mental health one I know down here had their mental health suffering so bad they took the ultimate step unfortunately but when tested he didn’t have COVID so he doesn’t matter.

Sorry to hear about somebody you know dying to suicide.

Everybody on this forum including myself has been effected by that at some stage, it's a major issue and shouldn't be used for cheap point scoring on Boards.

• Advertisement

And telling others that may have lost their business/job/income to just “show resilience”

Yep,working in healthcare and muddling through the pandemic.
    So you're just confirming that you're default position is if you still work you don't have an opinion?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

Sorry to hear about somebody you know dying to suicide.

Everybody on this forum including myself has been effected by that at some stage, it's a major issue and shouldn't be used for cheap point scoring on Boards.

Yeah point scoring like saying “ an inconvenience and playing the mental health card” ye mean!

Classy statement that.

Yep,working in healthcare and muddling through the pandemic.
    So you're just confirming that you're default position is if you still work you don't have an opinion?

You can have an opinion.

But it’s perhaps not fair to tell the 20% unemployed to just “show resilience” .

I’m sure that won’t comfort them much if they can’t pay their bills any longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,126 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I can do a lot more damage to you with your card details than you can to me with my haemorrhoid medication.

It’s a simple fact there is little increase in risk to data related issues as a result of WFH. If you think the HSE is an outlier then it speaks more to your trust in the competence of the HSE staff themselves.... although you may be onto something there!!

You should give GDPR a call and explain why you know better than GDPR. And when you get off that call, give the Data Protection Act a call and explain why you're the expert on this.

It's a simple fact that 'health' is a special category of data, requiring special safeguards all over the world.

Having your housemate seeing or hearing my mental health treatment issues, or my fertility issues, or my daughter's abortion appointment, or my alcoholism treatment plan is not acceptable in any circumstance.

Totally. When I worked on software for financial industry, I could see all transactions and card details. We had to go through a strong background check and sign various documents. HSE doesn't have the same level of security, couldn't afford and dont have the talent

So the HSE 'can't afford the talent' that allows developers access to unencrypted live data? Bwaahaaahaa, that's hilarious. I think you'll find that the HSE is several generations ahead of your experience on financial software.

But regardless of that, there are no 'levels of security' that prevent a staff member working from home from leaking sensitive data.
    The people who were crying in April about how the restrictions were killing them were pretty funny and weak.

9 months later, a time in which the government could have eliminated the virus by banning recreational travel (or at least mandatory quarantine a la Australia), a time when they kept pubs closed / semi closed to an extent not seen anywhere in Europe and with the express intent of permanently changing our pub culture, a time when non essential retail was shut, which will lead to an absolutely catastrophic black hole in VAT receipts in the Christmas run in (everyone bought presents online- shops were half deserted even when lockdown lifted), when you have the Green Party using Covid as a cover to further take away motorists rights in Dublin, when FF FG used the emergency to form arguably the most unpopular government in history.

All in the name of a virus that, while serious, is not even vaguely as dangerous as we were led to believe when the media were showing footage of young people apparently dropping unconscious on the streets of Wuhan, when they were claiming a drop in Chinese mobile subscriptions indicated millions may have died already from the virus, before most people were aware that all deaths with COVID in the system were being labelled as a Covid death, before people realised that less people have died of or with Covid in winter 2020 than normally die from flu in a normal winter, before people realised that 50 percent of deaths were of people over the age of 82 and the vast majority of these people were already on death's door.
    When hundreds of these people died in nursing homes as they were already so frail and dying there was never any point in attempting to bring them to hospital.
    I think 11 months in people are entitled to get a bit narky when all of the above is taken into account.

You can get as narky as you like. Unfortunately, the virus doesn't respond to narkiness.
    JeffKenna wrote: »
    Some people have disabilities and need gym equipment to train. Not as easy to say man up.

Is this really true? I noted the other poster's comment about access to a pool for certain therapies, which is an interesting point - but does a gym really provide an essential service for people with disabilities?

I'm probably about ten years out of date, but most gyms offered fairly poor levels of accessibility for people with disabilities - crowded spaces, lots of steps and level changes, no accessible shower or changing facilities, equipment not designed to be accessible for wheelchair users or people with sight loss.

Have things changed much over the last ten years?
    I see the anti gym club is out early this morning.... boring the ****e out of people how you can train outside in the cold and rain, rather than a well fitted out gym...

Have a think about how the cold and rain impacts virus transmission.

You can have an opinion.

But it’s perhaps not fair to tell the 20% unemployed to just “show resilience” .

I’m sure that won’t comfort them much if they can’t pay their bills any longer.

What about if my take home pay isn't far off the PUP payment?
    What about if my job is ten times harder since it all began?
    The autistic lad I work with who requires 24/7 care has a better concept of resilience than you.

You're the ultimate poster boy of this thread,the same 10 lads are following eachother around thanking eachothers posts and then get laughed out of it when they venture onto other threads and out of the safe space,it's hilarious!

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭darconio

I thought we got 10000 doses, how many were vaccinated yesterday?
    gmisk wrote: »
    Add in the fact the majority of vaccines require really expensive hard to source equipment to store it and transport it in....along with the global demand

HSE would appear to disagree: https://www2.hse.ie/screening-and-vaccinations/covid-19-vaccine/

"The first groups to get the COVID-19 vaccine are:

people aged 65 years and older who live in long-term care facilities – they have a greater risk of serious illness if they get COVID-19
    frontline healthcare workers – they have a higher risk of being exposed to COVID-19
    If you live in a long-term care facility, you will be offered the vaccine there. If you are a healthcare worker, you will be offered the vaccine where you work or nearby."

They will probably rent a nuclear-amphibious-flying-submarine with liquid nitrogen storage to administer the precious vaccine to the nursing homes.

What about if my take home pay isn't far off the PUP payment?
    What about if my job is ten times harder since it all began?
    The autistic lad I work with who requires 24/7 care has a better concept of resilience than you.

You're the ultimate poster boy of this thread,the same 10 lads are following eachother around thanking eachothers posts and then get laughed out of it when they venture onto other threads and out of the safe space,it's hilarious!

Well this is just bizarre rambling at this point...

You don’t like the thread so come here to tell us all that our opinions are hilarious...

And then you admit to getting a full salary while telling others to “show resilience “

Enjoy your day sir. And your full salary.

Well this is just bizarre rambling at this point...

You don’t like the thread so come here to tell us all that our opinions are hilarious...

And then you admit to getting a full salary while telling others to “show resilience “

Enjoy your day sir. And your full salary.

Once again confirming your default position.
    "Admit to getting full salary" thats weak.

Enjoy your day and your many thanks on the restrictions thread on boards!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

Remember everyone, if you're about to lose your job or your business, if you are going to struggle to pay your rent or mortgage as a result, if your relationships are strained as a result, Johnny Full Pay said show some resilience.

I thought we got 10000 doses

Yes, 10,000 < 100,000

But again you are ignoring the reality that test centers and staff are not equipped to administer vaccines, nor is it recommended to give the vaccine to people who have the virus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

If they pursue a full scale lockdown again people will start to lose respect for authority then more and more laws will be broken. Too many strict rules. We did our part with our first lockdown.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 382 ✭✭oldtimeyfella

GiftofGab wrote: »
    If they pursue a full scale lockdown again people will start to lose respect for authority then more and more laws will be broken. Too many strict rules. We did our part with our first lockdown.

If people are childish enough to flout restrictions because "shure, we already did this" is their mentality then the only people I will lose respect for is the general public.

It's a pandemic. Conditions change during a pandemic and restrictions need to change as well to meet these conditions.

People can't just give up on it because they are bored now.

If people are childish enough to flout restrictions because "shure, we already did this" is their mentality then the only people I will lose respect for is the general public.

It's a pandemic. Conditions change during a pandemic and restrictions need to change as well to meet these conditions.

People can't just give up on it because they are bored now.

Some people simply have to give up on it because they are desperate to keep a roof over their heads or feed their children etc.

Ultimately, a mild respiratory illness is not the biggest worry in most people’s lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭Downlinz

All in the name of a virus that, while serious, is not even vaguely as dangerous as we were led to believe when the media were showing footage of young people apparently dropping unconscious on the streets of Wuhan, when they were claiming a drop in Chinese mobile subscriptions indicated millions may have died already from the virus.

There's no cure for being a far right lunatic who believes in rumour and conspiracies.
    It isn't the fault of the media or anyone else if you chose to believe baseless claims that China were lying about their death numbers in February and March.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭darconio

Yes, 10,000 < 100,000

But again you are ignoring the reality that test centers and staff are not equipped to administer vaccines, nor is it recommended to give the vaccine to people who have the virus.

100000 test doesn't mean 100000 positive. Test centers are not equipped? what about providing a nurse that can administer a jab?
    How many doses were administered yesterday? what criteria was used to chose the 3-4 patients that were blinded by the flash of the photographers and they made the headlines? Were they tested previously? if yes how long did it take between the swab, the test result and the vaccination? could the same timeline not be applied to the average vulnerable that tested negative yesterday?
    All questions that we won't be able to answer because, despite al the praise they are getting in here, they don't have a plan, they don't want to plan ahead a system that could work and the only interest they have is a lockdown of the country.

Some people simply have to give up on it because they are desperate to keep a roof over their heads or feed their children etc.

Ultimately, a mild respiratory illness is not the biggest worry in most people’s lives.

Yes, because ignoring the once in a generation pandemic will solve unemployment and leave us with a booming economy. :rolleyes:

The pandemic denial seems to peak when instances of the virus go up.

Strange that.

100000 test doesn't mean 100000 positive.

Yes, you have to test to see who is positive.

TBF this isn't hard, what exactly is confusing you?

Or is because BS was called on your daft "idea" and you will just continue being contrary?

Let's skip all that shall we?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

tdf7187 wrote: »
      The public finances remain in a healthy state. You have valid concerns regarding the shut down of some sectors of the economy and the effect on peoples' livelihoods, but talk of 'we are bankrupting the country' is nonsense.

ok, we see how this post ages... like milk I would imagine.

who do you think is paying the PUP

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/COVID-19_recession

Yes, because ignoring the once in a generation pandemic will solve unemployment and leave us with a booming economy. :rolleyes:

The pandemic denial seems to peak when instances of the virus go up.

Strange that.

I really don’t think that perhaps you and other pro lockdowners really realise how desperate some people’s situations really are.

20% unemployment. Probably more after today.

350 a week is the Max payment. Not a lot when you are trying to pay rent/mortgage or feed children. And of course those people will have to prioritise their own needs first.

Covid is a first world problem. A bunch of people panicking about a mild illness that mainly seems to finish off people close to death in nursing homes.

• Advertisement
    • Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Yes, you have to test to see who is positive.

TBF this isn't hard, what exactly is confusing you?

Or is because BS was called on your daft "idea" and you will just continue being contrary?

Let's skip all that shall we?

Don't forget that many of those tested as 'positive' will show no symptoms at all. Indeed the test result will be the first they know of it. "A difference that makes no difference IS no difference" comes to mind, which isn't to say that those ACTUALLY at risk shouldn't still protect themselves.

A better barometer of ACTUAL cases is those admitted to hospital and ICU with serious symptoms. I think you'd find if they did that, our panicking over new 'cases' would be a lot less and better for all!

But then that would suit Tony's anti-alcohol crusade and efforts to obfuscate the results of decades of HSE mismanagement, waste, and squandered resources.

This discussion has been closed.
    Advertisement