Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part VII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

They've given people an enhanced unemployment payment with very few questions asked.

What more do you expect? Open up certain sectors just to be nice to people and let them earn a few quid?

I’m not on a particularly high salary by any means but I was on that payment for over 6 months of this year and I can tell you there was nothing enhanced about it. I wasn’t a high earner but it was still a lot less than I’d have gotten if I was still working. I would have preferred to be working if given the choice.

I know people who are still in rent arrears from the first lockdown who aren’t being given payment breaks by their landlords this time around.
    People who still have to pay a portion of their child’s crèche fees to hold their place in the event that the government says they can go back to work again for a few weeks at a moments notice.
    Their income may be significantly reduced but the bills are still coming.
    If you think we should be down on our hands and knees with gratitude for our €350 per week I can only assume you are coming from a position of privilege.

If it was proven that huge amounts of cases and deaths were a result of retail and hairdressers etc being open I would agree with them being shut but people are being put out of work for something that is nothing to do with them. Again.

• Administrators Posts: 53,854 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

They've given people an enhanced unemployment payment with very few questions asked.

What more do you expect? Open up certain sectors just to be nice to people and let them earn a few quid?

People lose their real income and are given less than minimum wage in exchange.

This causes problems.

Many got by last time by spending whatever savings they had, they may not have that luxury again. Banks rolled out mortgage deferrals, not sure if they'll be in a position to do that again.

Government and NPHET could accept 350 a week themselves to show that we are all in it together, since they are forcing others out of work.

They could not claim travel expenses for zoom meetings.

Not give themselves a pay rise while 20% are unemployed.

There was a lad on here earlier earning his full salary and telling others to just “show resilience”...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Utter nonsense. They are still working so why would we put them on an unemployment payment? Should we do it for everyone in the country that is still working?

Most of the economy is still up and running in some form.

They're about to shut down most of the economy in the next 24 hours, putting people out of work, potentially permanently. It's called solidarity. Something I suppose we've lost in this country...... The haves and the have nots comes to mind. And we give out about the Tories across the water.........

• Registered Users Posts: 10,085 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

Correct, although NPHET and RTÉ will do everything to downplay it. Interesting to note there was one outbreak in a pub versus four in restaurants. So much for food nullifying the Covid threat. And then a mere 21 outbreaks in schools, which supposedly were immune from Covid. Yet these will reopen months before the hospitality sector. Tony Holohan's prejudice wreaking havoc on the economy.

10 Hospital and 13 nursing home outbreaks in a week is shocking though.
    That's where all the most vulnerable people are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭nino1

Open up certain sectors just to be nice to people and let them earn a few quid?

no, because these sectors of the economy should be open by default and only closed as an absolute last resort.
    Talking flippantly about opening up sectors of the economy "to be nice to people" or "to let them earn a few quid" as if its not a huge deal to shut down an entire section of the economy is crazy and shows a lot of people don't really grasp the enormity of these decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Windmill100000

Stick them all on PUP, including Mr holohan. Show a bit of solidarity seeing as they keep telling us "we're all in this together". ( What utter BS that catchphrase was btw...... The rich stroll on unaffected while the ordinary working man/woman has to suffer the consequences of their decisions).

Absolutely. If their pay packets were cut every time we went to level 5 lockdown I think we can safely say we'd be plodding along with level 3

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 382 ✭✭oldtimeyfella

They're about to shut down most of the economy in the next 24 hours,

Nope, no they aren't. Most of the economy is not made up of non-essential retailers, gyms and gastropubs.

Utter nonsense. They are still working so why would we put them on an unemployment payment? Should we do it for everyone in the country that is still working?

Most of the economy is still up and running in some form.

As of tonight all retail (bar supermarkets), restaurants, hotels, transportation, beauty/grooming, gyms, aviation and the tourism industries will be pretty much completely closed for an indefinite amount of time.
    Most of the economy is up and still running, indeed.

Government and NPHET could accept 350 a week themselves to show that we are all in it together, since they are forcing others out of work.

They could not claim travel expenses for zoom meetings.

Not give themselves a pay rise while 20% are unemployed.

There was a lad on here earlier earning his full salary and telling others to just “show resilience”...

Brazen hypocrites, the ordinary joe is encouraged to "suck it up" on reduced money while NPHET and the Government would never entertain losing a penny from their hefty salaries. We're being played for a cod.

• Advertisement

SusieBlue wrote: »
    As of tonight all retail (bar supermarkets), restaurants, hotels, transportation, beauty/grooming, gyms, aviation and the tourism industries will be pretty much completely closed for an indefinite amount of time.
    Most of the economy is up and still running, indeed.

Retail will move online, restaurants will do take-away, not sure what you mean by "transportation" but taxis, trains and buses are still going to be running, aviation will still be up and running and tourism would be screwed even if we didn't lock down because people aren't travelling here from other countries because of the whole pandemic thing.

Retail will move online, restaurants will do take-away, not sure what you mean by "transportation" but taxis, trains and buses are still going to be running, aviation will still be up and running and tourism would be screwed even if we didn't lock down because people aren't travelling here from other countries because of the whole pandemic thing.

Even if retail moves online (most did not during the last lockdown), an online operation requires a fraction of the staff. Most will still be out of work.

But I am pretty sure they won't be allowed, since staff won't be allowed to go work in a warehouse to pack boxes if the goods are not essential goods.

Obviously most taxis are not running right now because nobody can go anywhere.

awec wrote: »
    But I am pretty sure they won't be allowed, since staff won't be allowed to go work in a warehouse to pack boxes if the goods are not essential goods.

That didn't happen last time so why would it happen this time?

That didn't happen last time so why would it happen this time?

It did happen last time.

Most retail closed completely.

Nope, no they aren't. Most of the economy is not made up of non-essential retailers, gyms and gastropubs.

What do you think happens to banks when they are forced to give lots of customers payment breaks on mortgages and loans? When people start defaulting on mortgages?

Lots of IT companies and other vendors ultimately provide services to the businesses forced to close.

We are all very much connected.
    Pull the ladder up from the 20% and eventually lots of others will slide back down themselves.

It did happen last time.

Most retail closed completely.

But you could still order stuff online.

It feels like you are living in a different reality. We don't need people wandering around shops at the height of a pandemic.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Fade Into You

So you can't go to a shop or a restaurant?

But you could still order stuff online.

From where?

From where?

Pretty much every retailer. Are you taking the piss?

Pretty much every retailer. Are you taking the piss?

Nope.

What is "every retailer". What Irish retailers, with Irish online operations, were you ordering from?

• Advertisement

Online shopping employs those working in head offices and warehouses which are largely based in the UK and don’t employ local people.
    Local Irish people will still be out of work.
    My dad is a taxi driver. No one is getting taxis because no one is going anywhere cause everyone will be staying at home. I watched him log on to the company app last night, there were 37 drivers online just from his company alone in his area looking for work last night, and no work.
    He drove around for easily 9/10 hours the day before looking for work and made €11.40, he probably spent more on petrol than what he earned.
    He has had pretty much no work since March, truth be told.

Aviation and restaurants offering takeaway services are working at such reduced capacities (if not completely closed) that the vast majority of employees in those industries are still out of work.
    My brother is one of those people, he worked 70 hours a week for the last 3 weeks at the expense of seeing his own family and friends and for his trouble, he’s now out of a job again.

As I previously mentioned I was also out of work for six months, and I didn’t work in any of the ‘easy target’ industries, I worked in IT which usually considered safe as houses. The business I worked in supported retail and hospitality operations so when they went down, my job went with them.

Your flippant disregard for the severe financial and mental health issues these lockdowns are cause people is actually depressing. It shows the very clear divide between those who are actively benefitting in some way or another from these restrictions and those who are outright suffering for their cause.

The economy isn’t largely open. It’s on its knees and the people with it.

Online shopping employs those working in head offices and warehouses which are largely based in the UK and don’t employ local people. Local Irish people will still be out of work.
    My dad is a taxi driver. No one is getting taxis because no one is going anywhere cause everyone will be staying at home. I watched him log on to the company app last night, there were 37 drivers online in his area looking for work last night and no work.
    He drove around for easily 9/10 hours the day before looking for work and made €11.40, he probably spent more on petrol than what he earned.

Aviation and restaurants offering takeaway services are working at such reduced capacities (if not completely closed) that the vast majority of employees in this industry are still out of work.
    My brother is one of those people, he worked 70 hours a week for the last 3 weeks at the expense of seeing his own family and friends and for his trouble, he’s now out of a job again.

As I previously mentioned I was also out of work for six months, and I didn’t work in any of the ‘easy target’ industries, I worked in IT which usually considered safe as houses. The business I worked in supported retail and hospitality operations so when they went down, my job went with them.

Your flippant disregard for the severe financial and mental health issues these lockdowns are cause people is actually depressing. It shows the very clear divide between those who are actively benefitting in some way or another from these restrictions and those who are outright suffering for their cause.

Bingo.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,762 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

The same people who wanted things opened up and relaxed for Christmas are now going to complain about the severity of this lockdown as a consequence of the mess we now find ourselves in. Surely not?

The same people who wanted things opened up and relaxed for Christmas are now going to complain about the severity of this lockdown as a consequence of the mess we now find ourselves in. Surely not?

Are you going to post this nonsense on a daily basis?

We get it kermit. You think lockdowns have to be perpetual, and that if we hadn't eased everything would be grand.

Online shopping employs those working in head offices and warehouses which are largely based in the UK and don’t employ local people.
    Local Irish people will still be out of work.
    My dad is a taxi driver. No one is getting taxis because no one is going anywhere cause everyone will be staying at home. I watched him log on to the company app last night, there were 37 drivers online just from his company alone in his area looking for work last night, and no work.

Aviation and restaurants offering takeaway services are working at such reduced capacities (if not completely closed) that the vast majority of employees in those industries are still out of work.

I’ve seen the terms “Man up” and “be more resilient “ already today.

Now I’m just waiting on someone to say “Upskill if you’re not happy”.

The lack of empathy is very sad.

Here we go again with the stay locked down to avoid future lockdown.

It’s nonsense. Completely unsustainable in reality.

Nope.

What is "every retailer". What Irish retailers, with Irish online operations, were you ordering from?

Personally, i barely order stuff off Irish retailers because the prices are a rip-off but i did order a couple of things from Smyths for neices/nephews and ordered something off D.I.D for the house.

What Irish retailers were you not able to order online off of?

Also, i see you are a mad sports/rugby head. I presume a lot of your problem with lockdowns is not being able to go to trivial, non-essential sports events. Kind of puts things in perspective, doesn't it?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Nope.

I ordered stuff from Brown Thomas online during the last six week shutdown

I think they also did click and collect

The wool shops i buy knitting stuff from were the same

• Registered Users Posts: 23,762 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Are you going to post this nonsense on a daily basis?

We get it kermit. You think lockdowns have to be perpetual.

Why wouldn't I post it when it is true and so richly deserved?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

I’ve seen the terms “Man up” and “be more resilient “ already today.

Now I’m just waiting on someone to say “Upskill if you’re not happy”.

The lack of empathy is very sad.

Imagine having a thriving, successful business or working in a senior role in the same, being forced out of work and being told by someone who spends their day working from home to "upskill" and "man up".

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement