Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part VII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 53,854 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Personally, i barely order stuff off Irish retailers because the prices are a rip-off but i did order a couple of things from Smyths for neices/nephews and ordered something off D.I.D for the house.

What Irish retailers were you not able to order online off of?

Also, i see you are a mad sports/rugby head. I presume a lot of your problem with lockdowns is not being able to go to trivial, non-essential sports events. Kind of puts things in perspective, doesn't it?

I’ve no real issue with lockdowns. You’re posting rubbish though, and have absolutely no understanding whatsoever about how the lockdowns affect anyone other than yourself.

I guess that’s where we differ.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 382 ✭✭oldtimeyfella

GazzaL wrote: »
    Imagine having a thriving, successful business or working in a senior role in the same, being forced out of work and being told by someone who spends their day working from home to "upskill" and "man up".

What kind of business?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

Why wouldn't I post it when it is true and so richly deserved?

said as he licks his froggy lips...

"this lockdown is delicious"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

Personally, i barely order stuff off Irish retailers because the prices are a rip-off but i did order a couple of things from Smyths for neices/nephews and ordered something off D.I.D for the house.

What Irish retailers were you not able to order online off of?

Also, i see you are a mad sports/rugby head. I presume a lot of your problem with lockdowns is not being able to go to trivial, non-essential sports events. Kind of puts things in perspective, doesn't it?

That’s a bit like saying I see you’re into pro wrestling, Xbox and PlayStation so life is like one big lockdown anyway so what’s the difference?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 382 ✭✭oldtimeyfella

awec wrote: »
    I’ve no real issue with lockdowns. You’re posting rubbish though, and have absolutely no understanding whatsoever about how the lockdowns affect anyone other than yourself.

I guess that’s where we differ.

What Irish retailer were you unable to order something online from?

You don't seem to care about how letting this pandemic run out of control affects anyone other than yourself.

• Advertisement

What a disgusting attitude!

People deserve lockdown for god forbid wanting to spend a bit of time with their families over Christmas after a miserable year where most people didn’t see family for months on end.

What Irish retailer were you unable to order something online from?

You don't seem to care about how letting this pandemic run out of control affects anyone other than yourself.

None of the my local retailers were able to go online. I had to order everything from the likes of Amazon, supporting UK workers. Close for kids from Next and the likes, again supporting UK workers.

I would have thought it obvious that the overwhelming majority of people are out of work when physical retail closes, I am genuinely surprised this is even a point of discussion.

Then again, you did suggest that taxis and air industries were operating just grand...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,762 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

People deserve lockdown for god forbid wanting to spend a bit of time with their families over Christmas after a miserable year where most people didn’t see family for months on end.

Nope.

Again you misread.

I never said people deserved a lockdown. Don't be absurd :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,570 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

I’ve seen the terms “Man up” and “be more resilient “ already today.

Now I’m just waiting on someone to say “Upskill if you’re not happy”.

The lack of empathy is very sad.

That works both ways though to be fair.

Those screaming for relaxing the restrictions aren't having that much empathy for those with serious health conditions, one could argue.

It's a delicate balancing act, not one country in the world has gotten it right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Parabellum9

You hate Christmas we get it, you hate the fact that people enjoyed some time with family and friends instead of acting how you want them to - scared and hiding under the bed, twitching the curtains for signs of people daring to visit their loved ones.

Normality will be back very soon but people won’t have such short memories to forget those who cheered on the restrictions and wanted to impose as much as possible on the rest of us. It might be an introverted weirdos wet dream at the moment but the majority of us actually enjoy human interaction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Cainer

From where?

Arnotts retail staff were all bright in to work picking & packing for their online store during the last lockdown.

Cainer wrote: »
    Arnotts retail staff were all bright in to work picking & packing for their online store during the last lockdown.

All of them?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,570 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

You hate Christmas we get it, you hate the fact that people enjoyed some time with family and friends instead of acting how you want them to - scared and hiding under the bed, twitching the curtains for signs of people daring to visit their loved ones.

Normality will be back very soon but people won’t have such short memories to forget those who cheered on the restrictions and wanted to impose as much as possible on the rest of us. It might be an introverted weirdos wet dream at the moment but the majority of us actually enjoy human interaction.

Mod:

What have I said about this sort of rhetoric? Don't post in this thread again

• Registered Users Posts: 3,474 ✭✭✭HBC08

Government and NPHET could accept 350 a week themselves to show that we are all in it together, since they are forcing others out of work.

They could not claim travel expenses for zoom meetings.

Not give themselves a pay rise while 20% are unemployed.

There was a lad on here earlier earning his full salary and telling others to just “show resilience”...

I guess thats directed at me.
    To give some context im a healthcare worker on 400 quid a week.
    I think you need to show a bit of resilience and get on with it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

All of them?

I would say a limited number

Two small boutiques i buy from both went from 3 staff to just the owner during the November restrictions

One of them set up a website, the other uses an app called Bezzu and social media to advertise

Still thats 2/3rds out of work one of the shops i mentioned have had 2/3rds of staff out of work since March

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

2867 positive tests yesterday, according to Gavan Reilly, not all new cases and not all will be reported today, think we'll be seeing something fairly heavy announced tonight.

Stheno wrote: »
    I would say a limited number

Two small boutiques i buy from both went from 3 staff to just the owner during the November restrictions

One of them set up a website, the other uses an app called Bezzu and social media to advertise

Still thats 2/3rds out of work one of the shops i mentioned have had 2/3rds of staff out of work since March
    Yea, as I said online requires a fraction of the staff. Even if a retailer successfully sells online, the majority of staff will still be out of work.

Poorside wrote: »
    2867 positive tests yesterday, according to Gavan Reilly, not all new cases and not all will be reported today, think we'll be seeing something fairly heavy announced tonight.

There may be more to report from previous days even if some are left out today.

Suffice to say releasing such big jumps could needlessly frighten people so they may want to even this out a little in the next few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

Suffice to say releasing such big jumps could needlessly frighten people so they may want to even this out a little in the next few days.

Might use it to give people a kick up the hole as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

Well that's it...as expected..the absolute c*nts of politicians closing everything down. Should really have kept school, universities, gyms and sports facilities open.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭All that fandango

NPHET needlessly frightening people? Never!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,126 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Yea, as I said online requires a fraction of the staff. Even if a retailer successfully sells online, the majority of staff will still be out of work.

Though there are some other employment increases in the supply chain, like the apparent endless number of white van men on the road doing deliveries.

So they should frig the figures so that people 'don't get needlessly frightened'?

Seriously? You want professional public health experts to massage the data should the spread of infection so people don't get frightened?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,125 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Does anyone know when non essential retail is meant to close? Is it closing tonight?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭mightyreds

I'd imagine it's more like in around 2k is the most they can process in a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,145 ✭✭✭✭rob316

gmisk wrote: »
    Does anyone know when non essential retail is meant to close? Is it closing tonight?

I'd guess tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Windmill100000

Poorside wrote: »

The median age for these cases is approximately 35. The vast majority of people this age will not require hospitalisation and can isolate at home.

14 deaths or thereabouts a day is tragic for families, but it does not warrant level 5 restrictions on an ongoing basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,125 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

The median age for these cases is approximately 35. The vast majority of people this age will not require hospitalisation and can isolate at home.

14 deaths or thereabouts a day is tragic for families, but it does not warrant level 5 restrictions on an ongoing basis.
    Are the huge increase recently in numbers in hospital with it not more of the reason?

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Rrrrrr2

These people are the modern day Irish Catholic Church- taking joy in the unadulterated misery of others, finger waving and “I told you so” and “good enough for you” for simply trying to live. They absolutely turn my stomach

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭votecounts

gmisk wrote: »

1800 tomorrow

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement