Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part VII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Rrrrrr2

GazzaL wrote: »
    I said it before, but I'm gutted for gym owners. Many of them are owned by young lads who have put their lives into them. January is peak membership sales time. They have been hammered by NPHET and the Government.

Like you, I am done.

There’s a gym in Kilkenny (TJ Reid (the hurler)/Connollys) they do fantastic online classes during lockdowns (I assume they will again for sure)- €10 per week for 5 brilliant classes. I’ll be supporting him. I urge everyone else to do the same for other gyms I’m sure are trying too.
    Agree re the memberships- it’s their harvest time. Had only just renewed my own one for the year. I’ve given up really talking about it, my feelings are very clear, unwavering and only grown as I’ve seen how damaging and futile this ongoing farce has been.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭FrStone

Boggles wrote: »
    Because I imagine we don't want to end up like our neighbors.

2 ways to tackle the pandemic.

You can be proactive or you can be reactive.

We have been proactive, the UK have be reactive.

Which strategy would you think is best?

I think the UKs rapid vaccination strategy is best.

JRant wrote: »
    A more important question is do we need the full Level 5?
    Why didn't they go with the original plan of L5 lite until the 12th and reassess then?
    Why strip away even more of our liberties unless it is absolutely necessary?

Why only give 24 hours notice to businesses and workers that their jobs and income will be severely compromised for at least a month. This straight after a 6 week lockdown and only really ended on the 18th December.

Have you seen what is happening in the uk and how our trajectory is mirroring that in the south of England just before Christmas?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Because I imagine we don't want to end up like our neighbors.

2 ways to tackle the pandemic.

You can be proactive or you can be reactive.

We have been proactive, the UK have be reactive.

Which strategy would you think is best?

We are not the UK though. We have a younger population and are sparsely populated.

We have been nothing but reactive since this began. It just so happens that our demographics have helped us but it most certainly has not been due to proper leadership.

I think the government should be issuing rapid antigen testing to all homes so people can self test twice a week. Anyone that pops a positive at home can have a PCR test to verify in a test facility. This should help keep numbers low and allow us to live with very few restrictions. Far fewer than we are currently subjected to.

What would your strategy be?

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

NPHET's data today shows 23 outbreaks in hospitals and nursing homes. There was no mention of how they're planning to address that problem.

What problem?

When people are sick they go hospital, hospitals will always have a high risk of outbreaks.

Time and time again the evidence has shown that when community transmission is high, the risk to nursing homes is high. Predominately its staff bringing the virus in to the nursing home. One could reduce the risk lower by forcing staff to live in the nursing home and cut themselves off from family during periods of high community transmission but I'm not sure anyone would agree to that, and I'd not blame them

• Advertisement

Have you seen what is happening in the uk and how our trajectory is mirroring that in the south of England just before Christmas?

To people like you I’d just say stop following this stuff it’s absolutely toxic (with all due respect, what can you or anyone else do re the south of England, unless you live there). Get out and live your life. Best you can. Do something positive and fulfilling with your time rather than getting wound up in this frenzy

• Registered Users Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

We are not the UK though.

We share an island with part of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

Uriel. wrote: »
    What problem?

When people are sick they go hospital, hospitals will always have a high risk of outbreaks.

Time and time again the evidence has shown that when community transmission is high, the risk to nursing homes is high. Predominately its staff bringing the virus in to the nursing home. One could reduce the risk lower by forcing staff to live in the nursing home and cut themselves off from family during periods of high community transmission but I'm not sure anyone would agree to that, and I'd not blame them

As always, the excuses get rolled out when it comes to doing nothing to address outbreaks in hospitals and nursing homes.

fsprob_nothingtosee.gif

Let me be super clear here, I don't give a fúçk about what's happening in any other country. I don't live there and am more concerned about this countries future both from a health and economic perspective.

I'm worried about what this next couple of months of lockdown will do to our already precarious finances. We are already looking at many years of austerity to pay for this. Once the vaccine gets rolled out all that "free" money will suddenly dry up and the bills will need paying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭hamburgham

Rrrrrr2 wrote: »
    These people are the modern day Irish Catholic Church- taking joy in the unadulterated misery of others, finger waving and “I told you so” and “good enough for you” for simply trying to live. They absolutely turn my stomach

There are people I know well who I will never look at in the same way again. Their total and complete disregard for what this is doing to other people is shocking. *mod snip*

• Advertisement

We share an island with part of it.

Would you like to actually answer my question?

To people like you I’d just say stop following this stuff it’s absolutely toxic (with all due respect, what can you or anyone else do re the south of England, unless you live there). Get out and live your life. Best you can. Do something positive and fulfilling with your time rather than getting wound up in this frenzy

I am sorry but it’s you guys who a getting wound up. I am getting on with my life and doing what I can. It is this thread that is in cloud cuckoo land rather and obsessing over essential gyms.

Educate yourself

Let me be super clear here, I don't give a fúçk about what's happening in any other country. I don't live there and am more concerned about this countries future both from a health and economic perspective.

I'm worried about what this next couple of months of lockdown will do to our already precarious finances. We are already looking at many years of austerity to pay for this. Once the vaccine gets rolled out all that "free" money will suddenly dry up and the bills will need paying.

Your alright Jack, completely ignoring what is happening in places that had almost as much restrictions as we had but not quite, yet ye think it will be all sunshine and roses by ignoring it

What problem?

Here's a crazy idea, why not test all staff a couple of times a week?
    I know, it's nuts, but it might actually stop THE most vulnerable people from dieing of this poxy virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

What problem?

By large these are people who were admitted to hospital for other health issues, who then picked up the virus while there.
    These (for the most part) are not people who were admitted because of the virus, they caught it while receiving treatment for other illnesses.
    The sheer amount of clusters and cases arising from these instances is completely unacceptable. Hundreds of people contracting the virus while inpatients simply isn’t good enough.

They also do not differentiate between patients hospitalised because of covid and patients who caught covid while hospitalised for other issues in their press conferences, which is downright manipulative and deceiving.
    I for one would like to know the true number of people hospitalised because of covid-19 and not the bigger number, inflated by their ineptitude and mismanagement.

As always, the excuses get rolled out when it comes to doing nothing to address outbreaks in hospitals and nursing homes.

fsprob_nothingtosee.gif

What excuses?
    There's a **** load being done.
    What else would you do?

Your alright Jack, completely ignoring what is happening in places that had almost as much restrictions as we had but not quite, yet ye think it will be all sunshine and roses by ignoring it

So nothing of substance to add. Noted and will act accordingly to you in future.

What excuses?
    There's a **** load being done.
    What else would you do?

They are not doing the most important thing though, testing staff at a regular cadence.

hamburgham wrote: »
    There are people I know well who I will never look at in the same way again. Their total and complete disregard for what this is doing to other people is shocking. I actually feel like I understand now how the nazis came to power.

Can totally see how- they’d throw their granny off a cliff if they thought it would save them.

Here's a crazy idea, why not test all staff a couple of times a week?
    I know, it's nuts, but it might actually stop THE most vulnerable people from dieing of this poxy virus.

Staff are tested regularly. There are diminishing returns when looking at small residual benefit of more frequent testing versus the impact on capacity to the testing programme as well as the operational impact in nursing homes.

• Advertisement

They are not doing the most important thing though, testing staff at a regular cadence.

All staff are tested on a continuing fortnightly cycle and have been since early to mid summer

Can totally see how- they’d throw their granny off a cliff if they thought it would save them.

Instead of throwing granny of a cliff so they can go to the gym or have a pint?

All staff are tested on a continuing fortnightly cycle and have been since early to mid summer

Facts don’t belong on this thread

So nothing of substance to add. Noted and will act accordingly to you in future.

How can people not believe that what is happening elsewhere is not relevant to what happens here. Complete cognitive dissonance

• Registered Users Posts: 13,898 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Is that actually happening?

No, it's not.

That isn't good enough. It should be 5 days max between tests. Anything else is utterly pointless. The testing capacity should be used to help protect the most vulnerable, not for some 20 year olds with a slight temp and a cough. It should have been targeted from the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Windmill100000

Which of your family members would you volunteer 'for the cause'? Which parent or perhaps vulnerable sibling or child would you be prepared to let go in order to keep things open?

Life is what it is, people get sick, people suffer with mental health problems, some people sadly die young.

Do we ban air travel because planes crash, or cars have accidents? Or ban alcohol because it can have devastating effects?

Lengthy lockdowns are not sustainable. Zero covid cases is not realistic either.

Completely missing the point as per usual. You see what you want see whilst being completely disingenuous and dismissive of what i perceive (and quite rightly) as normal life

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

How can people not believe that what is happening elsewhere is not relevant to what happens here. Complete cognitive dissonance

Funny when the same point was brought up in other threads in regards to schools closing in other countries you claimed it wasnt relevant to what’s happening here.

• Advertisement

Completely wrong. What you are suggesting is confirmation bias. Look elsewhere to prove what you want to be true here. Despite the fact it's not comparing like with like. We have a different demographic profile to the UK and many other factors that make comparisons between the two less than useful.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement