Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part VII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,549 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

I can understand why gyms have to close
    Otherwise people will travel further than 5km to do a workout.
    It sucks, but it has to be done.

the kelt wrote: »
    Funny when the same point was brought up in other threads in regards to schools closing in other countries you claimed it wasnt relevant to what’s happening here.

It wasn’t, what measures other countries chose to do in the face of increasing rates is not relevant to what we chose to do based on the evidence. What happened from Oct to Dec, and the studies on school transmission in other countries bares this out. The evidence that cases become hospitalisations become an overwhelmed healthcare system is clear however. Nice effort at a false equivalence however

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Rrrrrr2

I can understand why gyms have to close
    Otherwise people will travel further than 5km to do a workout.
    It sucks, but it has to be done.

Like the last 3 times? What did they achieve again? Must have been something really amazing that we have to repeat yet again

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

JRant wrote: »
    That isn't good enough. It should be 5 days max between tests. Anything else is utterly pointless. The testing capacity should be used to help protect the most vulnerable, not for some 20 year olds with a slight temp and a cough. It should have been targeted from the start.

Where do you get the 5 max from?
    Can you post a link to the CDC/ECDC/WHO guidance on this?

The case definitions for testing are widely endorsed internationally. You can't fight a virus, break chains of transmission and manage contacts etc without knowing when someone is positive. The 20 year old with the virus, who may be sick or not, is a risk to everyone else. That risk grows for every active infection circulating. All of the international evidence and advice leans towards identifying as many cases as possible.

And all of the evidence and advice shows that higher circulation of virus in the community is a key risk to the most vulnerable. Only way to tackle that is detect as early as possible and isolate and manage contacts.

Completely wrong. What you are suggesting is confirmation bias. Look elsewhere to prove what you want to be true here. Despite the fact it's not comparing like with like. We have a different demographic profile to the UK and many other factors that make comparisons between the two less than useful.

Where is the example of a country that ignored a surging case load where things turned out alright? Surely there is one?
    The number of people in hospital with Covid has doubled in a week, yet demographics. The inherent bias is clear here. We are alright Jack

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

FrStone wrote: »
    I think the UKs rapid vaccination strategy is best.

The HSE have been incredibly quiet about our vaccination progress. Few PR photos yesterday and nothing. I would have thought they’d wanna publicise how many people had been vaccinated on a daily basis.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,570 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Rrrrrr2 wrote: »
    Can totally see how- they’d throw their granny off a cliff if they thought it would save them.

Mod:

Threadbanned.

I get people are upset but these sort of posts are not acceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,987 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

The HSE have been incredibly quiet about our vaccination progress. Few PR photos yesterday and nothing. I would have thought they’d wanna publicise how many people had been vaccinated on a daily basis.

Were we not meant to have gotten another delivery yesterday or the day before of 20 or so thousand? The slow pace is worrying me. Even if they are saving stock for the second round there should be hundreds if not thousands vaccinated by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Where is the example of a country that ignored a surging case load where things turned out alright? Surely there is one?
    The number of people in hospital with Covid has doubled in a week, yet demographics. The inherent bias is clear here. We are alright Jack

If you are so concerned about the UK, here's an interesting thread

https://twitter.com/MichaelYeadon3/status/1343485688088588289?s=19

Even the NHS are moving away from mass PCR testing and moving to rapid antigen testing. Something we should have done months ago.

And enough of the "I'm alright Jack" schtick. It's not funny and adds nothing to the conversation.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

Were we not meant to have gotten another delivery yesterday or the day before of 20 or so thousand? The slow pace is worrying me. Even if they are saving stock for the second round there should be hundreds if not thousands vaccinated by now.

It's been rolled out in a number of acute hospital test sites. They have to deliver a certain amount to get the processes fully validated and up and running with confidence. The primary target is to hit the nursing homes in early January, but they are testing initial roll out in hospitals first to make sure everything is OK and that any negative reactions can be managed. There is evidence in the US and UK of allergic reactions. No point in throwing vaccines out into a vulnerable environment if they can't be sure that issues that might occur can be dealt with safely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

Boggles wrote: »
    Again.

NPHET get their remit from governance.

Their advice is based on 2 core principles given to them by government.

1. Keeping the schools open
    2. Keeping non covid health care functioning.

The Government never tasked them with keep everything functioning and open during a once in a generation pandemic because that would be fúcking dangerously stupid.
    I sincerely hope they're not the core principles they're operating by, since neither of them mentions protecting the country from Covid. Although since that seems to come a distant second to keeping schools open at all costs, you're probably sadly right.

Again.

I'm not the one who made these statements - they are. So there's no point arguing with me, it's their claims. And I can't be bothered digging out the links again but they're all their own words.
    I'd forgotten to include Paul Reid's promise at the end of March that we'd be doing 100,000 tests every week by the middle of April (which first occurred in October); and of course the Covid app, which was going to revolutionise our testing and tracing and is so successful it hasn't been mentioned in months

Even the NHS are moving away from mass PCR testing and moving to rapid antigen testing. Something we should have done months ago.

And enough of the "I'm alright Jack" schtick. It's not funny and adds nothing to the conversation.

The same rapid test that only managed to detect about 50% of positive cases? And various UK trusts are stopping reliance on it, especially where vulnerable groups are concerned?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,474 ✭✭✭HBC08

To people like you I’d just say stop following this stuff it’s absolutely toxic (with all due respect, what can you or anyone else do re the south of England, unless you live there). Get out and live your life. Best you can. Do something positive and fulfilling with your time rather than getting wound up in this frenzy

Lol!
    Like your good self?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,081 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

Here's a crazy idea, why not test all staff a couple of times a week?
    I know, it's nuts, but it might actually stop THE most vulnerable people from dieing of this poxy virus.

It's because of NPHET's continued refusal to recommend rapid antigen tests (not as a replacement to but an addition to regular PCR tests).
    I've yet to hear one coherent argument against using this cheap and fast tool as an additional level of safety.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

Translation: "I don't care about the elderly or unwell. Let me buy things!"

Translation: “I’m elderly and retired and therefore most of these restrictions don’t affect me, lockdown everything **** everyone else.”

• Registered Users Posts: 3,474 ✭✭✭HBC08

I wouldn't agree with you about a lot of things but i do on this.
    The HSE is a farce and are really going to be shown up on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I’m just completely fed up in all honesty. I’ve avoided this whole forum for weeks now because I just can’t take any of it any more. I don’t want to read the updates and I don’t want to watch the news. I’m a strong person and believe me when I say I’ve been though much worse in my life, but I’m not sure how much more of this I can take. I’m beyond depressed now with it all. It’s just endless. To think we have another 2/3 months of this ****storm ahead. I’m done in, in all honesty. I just can’t believe this is still going on

Yeadon, good one. Casedemic, yadda yadda yadda with Covid not from Covid blah blah blah. This schtick is to be dismissed immediately because it is infantile and has been proven over and over again to be without merit. I forget the name of this threads pet Covid is over scientist from the spring as no one brings up his name anymore, and in a few more weeks Mike Yeadon will be forgotten also

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Rrrrrr2

I’m just completely fed up in all honesty. I’ve avoided this whole forum for weeks now because I just can’t take any of it any more. I don’t want to read the updates and I don’t want to watch the news. I’m a strong person and believe me when I say I’ve been though much worse in my life, but I’m not sure how much more of this I can take. I’m beyond depressed now with it all. It’s just endless. To think we have another 2/3 months of this ****storm ahead. I’m done in, in all honesty. I just can’t believe this is still going on

Yes that’s completely understandable- I feel like that too. Is there anything positive you can try focus on- work, family, fitness?
    I try my best to do my own thing and ignore the gloom but it is omnipresent and pumped out on loop.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Necro wrote: »
    Can totally see how- they’d throw their granny off a cliff if they thought it would save them.

Mod:

Threadbanned.

I get people are upset but these sort of posts are not acceptable.
    Yes that’s completely understandable- I feel like that too. Is there anything positive you can try focus on- work, family, fitness?
    I try my best to do my own thing and ignore the gloom but it is omnipresent and pumped out on loop.

You are still threadbanned.

Week off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

So you're using the schtick of a man who made his money by selling pharma companies and denounces using social distancing and masks, I'm sure he has no skin in the game.

Uriel. wrote: »
    Where do you get the 5 max from?
    Can you post a link to the CDC/ECDC/WHO guidance on this?

The case definitions for testing are widely endorsed internationally. You can't fight a virus, break chains of transmission and manage contacts etc without knowing when someone is positive. The 20 year old with the virus, who may be sick or not, is a risk to everyone else. That risk grows for every active infection circulating. All of the international evidence and advice leans towards identifying as many cases as possible.

And all of the evidence and advice shows that higher circulation of virus in the community is a key risk to the most vulnerable. Only way to tackle that is detect as early as possible and isolate and manage contacts.

A link for what exactly?

They have said for a long time that the incubation period is up to 5 days. So why wait 2 weeks to test staff in nursing homes when we know that this is where the majority of deaths are coming from.

Yeadon, good one. Casedemic, yadda yadda yadda with Covid not from Covid blah blah blah. This schtick is to be dismissed immediately because it is infantile and has been proven over and over again to be without merit. I forget the name of this threads pet Covid is over scientist from the spring as no one brings up his name anymore, and in a few more weeks Mike Yeadon will be forgotten also

So, as I said, cognitive dissonance at it's finest.

A link for what exactly?

They have said for a long time that the incubation period is up to 5 days. So why wait 2 weeks to test staff in nursing homes when we know that this is where the majority of deaths are coming from.

Up to 14 days

Ridiculous sources deserve nothing but ridicule

• Registered Users Posts: 23,764 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

To be citing sources like that? I agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,607 ✭✭✭Penfailed

I'm not up to speed...what was announced today? Back to Level 5? Is the 5km thing still...a thing? Schools? When's it being reviewed?

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Ride, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

pjohnson wrote: »
    To be citing sources like that? I agree.

And yet, here we are multiple threads in and you've provided nothing but snotty one liners the entire time. That's impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

HBC08 wrote: »
    I wouldn't agree with you about a lot of things but i do on this.
    The HSE is a farce and are really going to be shown up on this.

Alan Kelly has asked will the HSE and NPHET be providing daily numbers in regards to how many people have been vaccinated along with the daily gloom of deaths and cases ye know to provide a little bit of positivity.

This should be interesting

• Advertisement

Penfailed wrote: »
    I'm not up to speed...what was announced today? Back to Level 5? Is the 5km thing still...a thing? Schools? When's it being reviewed?

Full Level 5 with the 5km restrictions. Schools closed for an extra week because "reasons". No review date given but it's for at least one full month, so an indefinite lockdown unfortunately.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement