Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part VII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

DellyBelly wrote: »
    Just ba k from the local shops and despite the level 5 restrictions there were at least 2 people not wearing a mask.. I despair sometimes. People are so selfish..

More likely they have a legitimate (and perfectly valid) reason for not doing so. You do know there's several exceptions to the requirement, right?

I was in the shops yesterday myself and one of the guys serving me had his mask under his nose and I even saw him with it under his chin! Luckily I survived this trauma and was able to complete my transaction!

Masks, as has been shown by the rising case numbers (which in themselves mean very little) have had little to no effect in controlling the virus despite almost universal compliance - but luckily the virus isn't as deadly as was first feared so the vast majority of people will be fine regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,662 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

DellyBelly wrote: »
    Just ba k from the local shops and despite the level 5 restrictions there were at least 2 people not wearing a mask.. I despair sometimes. People are so selfish..

If we were serious about this, its time it was an on-the-spot fine by Gardai for not wearing a mask when you are meant to be.

Tony H is doing the rounds on RTE and Newstalk again this morning.

Why is this guy being given airtime? (rhetorical question really). He shouldn't be given a platform to lecture and finger wag like this - especially when lots of people will be facing unemployment after this evening because of his overreacting.

NIMAN wrote: »
    If we were serious about this, its time it was an on-the-spot fine by Gardai for not wearing a mask when you are meant to be.

:D:D and where are we meant to get all these Gardai? Place a Garda in every single Mace, Spar, Centra in Ireland? Or ask the shop owner to video them on their phone and post it to Social Media? Are you actually serious?

Its early in the morning, go and have some coffee.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

Gael23 wrote: »
    Who is this?

St Patrick’s

• Advertisement

NIMAN wrote: »

And what do you think this would achieve, because it'll have very little impact on the larger situation as we've seen since the autumn.

Plus AGS have already pointed out that they operate on the idea of policing by consent. There's already a lot of frustration (on both sides) over the checkpoints without making them into "mask wardens" as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

Yep and wait till RTÉ and Newstalk radio stir it up again by having a daily rant over video on social media , some group breaking “the rules”.......complete with video!
    Maybe it will be a family in a supermarket together without masks, a few people together walking their dogs, some swimmers leaving the beach, teenagers outside the chipper , a couple of mums letting their kids play while they have a chat in the park. Wait for the outrage all over again , people foaming at the mouth.

Then later in the evening RTÉ News/ Prime Time /Claire Byrne/Ciara Kelly and their report and analysis of what happened stirring it up even more . This happened consistently throughout most of last year but particularly in harder lockdowns ,......predictable and depressing as we head into another lockdown.
    It’s creates diversity and a “them versus us” scenario that gets totally blown out of proportion ! If most of us stick to guidelines as much as possible and mind our own business (!!) numbers will come down anyway .

Our national broadcaster and others needs to take more responsibility for actual news this time round, less scaremongering, less doom and gloom, less George Lee .

For me the stirring the pot by the media is one of the worst parts of the pandemic. They mental anguish they are allowed to cause is unjustifiable. I put on newstalk a few minutes ago and had to turn it off almost Straight away. There was Tony H and whatever presenter going on about level 5 probably lasting til March. I really only tuned in to hear about the incident in clonee but that doesn’t get air time when COVID is the only story in town.

McEntee on NT just now (was on RTE earlier too) appealing to people to stay home tonight and don't mix etc.

I wonder will she and her Government colleagues be complying themselves? Somehow I'm not convinced.

For me the stirring the pot by the media is one of the worst parts of the pandemic. They mental anguish they are allowed to cause is unjustifiable. I put on newstalk a few minutes ago and had to turn it off almost Straight away. There was Tony H and whatever presenter going on about level 5 probably lasting til March. I really only tuned in to hear about the incident in clonee but that doesn’t get air time when COVID is the only story in town.

The shooting is up next.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,764 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

GazzaL wrote: »
    Today will mark the day many businesses will close their doors for the final time, never to re-open again. Spare a thought for those facing into the new year, locked down and losing their jobs and businesses. What makes it even more tragic is that it is a result of needless economic vandalism by NPHET. At least the members of NPHET will sleep easy tonight receiving full pay.

"Scaremongering" is the word that is used so much here ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    McEntee on NT just now (was on RTE earlier too) appealing to people to stay home tonight and don't mix etc.

I wonder will she and her Government colleagues be complying themselves? Somehow I'm not convinced.

I'm also outraged over this scenario you just invented.

She needs to resign.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

Multipass wrote: »
    That’s a joke - the largest private mental health service has just increased its prices by 25%.
    Think about that....25% in one step. In lockdown. They never returned to face to face appointments either, since March.

Did you not get the memo from the posters on here who think everyone complaining about lockdown are simpletons.

Stop using the mental health excuse and just toughen up.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭darconio

pjohnson wrote: »
    "Scaremongering" is the word that is used so much here ;)

Along with the illusion that the economy is thriving and everything will be grand, if we need more money we just print them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Tony H is doing the rounds on RTE and Newstalk again this morning.

Why is this guy being given airtime? (rhetorical question really). He shouldn't be given a platform to lecture and finger wag like this - especially when lots of people will be facing unemployment after this evening because of his overreacting.

Two reasons, the media know it will attract attention so they can sell more ads. And secondly, Tony H is a primarily concerned with increasing his media profile and the more media appearances for him, the better. I guarantee within 5 years of this Tony will have written a book about this.

On a separate note, the people making these decisions are so disconnected from the reality of people who take home 400 or 500 euro a week in a full time job that they can't even begin to understand the issues that their decisions are causing for thousands of people. When you earn thousands every week and your job is guaranteed it's much easier to make the "tough" decisions because they don't affect you or your family.

Boggles wrote: »
    I'm also outraged over this scenario you just invented.

She needs to resign.

Hardly an invention when we've had precedent such as Golf Gate is it?

Ciara Kelly making a lot of sense on NT there saying that the biggest factor in severity of impact from CV-19 is age and that it will affect different groups in different ways.

She's not wrong but as she said, it's not a message that is put out very often

• Registered Users Posts: 28,215 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Is there anything on offer for businesses closing down this time, last year they were throwing money like restart grants etc.

Is there anything on offer for businesses closing down this time, last year they were throwing money like restart grants etc.

Think there's a rates reduction/freeze being offered

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Windmill100000

It's all part of the plan to keep the masses as frightened as possible. The elderly in particular rely on these platforms moreso than anyone else for their news.

Never any mention of percentage of cases that result in hospitalisation....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

pconn062 wrote: »
    Two reasons, the media know it will attract attention so they can sell more ads. And secondly, Tony H is a primarily concerned with increasing his media profile and the more media appearances for him, the better. I guarantee within 5 years of this Tony will have written a book about this.

His problem is he’s so out of touch with reality that he doesn’t realise that people are starting to turn against him! If he continues this crusade news outlets will start to avoid him which does his own profile no good! Picture him now in your head......! you just thought of an image of him sneering down on you over the top of his glasses with a big yellow covid banner behind him...! That’s the image people are getting when they hear the name now, which is a negative image! Soon enough there will be no one who wants to listen to him, which isn’t good for any pending media career!

Had he stayed away in the summer and written a book it would have been a best seller this past Xmas and he’d likely have a seat in the senate waiting for him. But he just couldn’t help himself!

A friend of mine is a business owner and he told me he’s not losing any money and going to enjoy the few weeks off! I know nothing about figures or anything, it was just his flippant comment made in a chat!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,401 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

A friend of mine is a business owner and he told me he’s not losing any money and going to enjoy the few weeks off! I know nothing about figures or anything, it was just his flippant comment made in a chat!

Clearly depends what your line of business is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

The shooting is up next.

Thanks, I’m not taking any more radio or tv news for the next few days. I’ll get more than enough updates here. I’m finding the main stream media more over hyped than what’s online disturbingly enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,284 ✭✭✭Archeron

Watched the rte news for the first time in ages the other day, and George Lee was being interviewed and said, let's take a look at a worst case example. He was salivating at the potential misery and I'm convinced he was knocking one out under the table. Ooooh, hundreds in icu, ooooooooohhhhh pop. I have learned to hate rte more than I ever thought possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Nope, it's an invention, a figment of your imagination.

"Golfgate" did happen, it was something that happened in the past.

What you are displaying outrage over is something in the future that hasn't happened.

You see the difference?

lawred2 wrote: »
    Clearly depends what your line of business is.

I’ve no clue of different industries are getting differing amounts or if the government are paying more to business now than they did previously (buying off support maybe??). But it’s all above board if that’s what your suggesting haha!

Boggles wrote: »
    Nope, it's an invention, a figment of your imagination.

"Golfgate" did happen, it was something that happened in the past.

What you are displaying outrage over is something in the future that hasn't happened.

You see the difference?

What outrage? This you're the one being overdramatic Boggles!

Maybe look up the word "precedent"

• Registered Users Posts: 28,215 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

You either own your own premises or have a generous landlord in that situation, most people will lose even ones staying open with little trade.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Ciara Kelly making a lot of sense on NT there saying that the biggest factor in severity of impact from CV-19 is age and that it will affect different groups in different ways.

MM alluded to it last night in his speech when he said the second wave was mostly younger people so we didn't see the corresponding jump in hospital admissions. Whereas, this one is right across all age brackets. To me, that points to the people most at risk not taking proper measures themselves to limit contacts and exposure. That's not a message they want to send out though, so, instead will tell everyone to do it even when they know it's confined to a certain cohort.

It's also why they stopped giving the median age of deaths in their daily updates. People were starting to realise this was effecting people over 80 far more. It's also why we don't hear the figures for those under 65 who have died with COVID as the numbers are miniscule.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

GazzaL wrote: »
    Today will mark the day many businesses will close their doors for the final time, never to re-open again. Spare a thought for those facing into the new year, locked down and losing their jobs and businesses. What makes it even more tragic is that it is a result of needless economic vandalism by NPHET. At least the members of NPHET will sleep easy tonight receiving full pay.

You mean government right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

If the first time you're hearing age being a significant factor in outcomes and severity of illness is this morning, I can only assume you've been in hibernation since March.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement