Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part VII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Phased lifting of Level 5: Inter-county travel could open up a few days before Christmas

https://www.thejournal.ie/level-5-cabinet-5277357-Nov2020/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

Unlikely. If you can recall from the recent election, the electorate flat out rejected right wing nuts, in favour of left wing populists (SF and Greens) mixed with our typical centrist (FF and FG) parties.

this is true but perhaps the appetite will have changed. If covid has taught us anything its that there is little leadership in Leinster House.
    even the opposition played it safe with only basic challenges to the government. Sinn Fein have behaved disgracefully with regard to covid - leaders of the opposition mehole...

If you had told me at the last election that Mattie McGrath would be the lightening rod of libertarian style values in Ireland I'd have laughed.
    Now I'm his biggest fan.
    These are unprecedented times - hopefully some change will come from it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 281 ✭✭Fodla

rusty cole wrote: »
    I actually think it's gone beyond scary at this stage between Twitter leaks, goalposts being moved, age and profiles being omitted and now being told that you cannot have people round at Xmas unless they're on the guest list sanctioned by NPHET this is checkpoint charlie sort of stuff now, I may as well hit the steroids, get a vest and an eyepatch and change my name to snake!

I really am starting to wonder WTF is goin on now and how we're being dragged down deeper by these sharks, I really believe Tony has been given a goal or a job to do with carte blanche and to hell with normal people.

He's worried that there's now a finger pointing culture but funnily enough now he wasnt bothered when the fingers were being pointed at you and I, god forbid we should extend our own digits and point in the direction of Dublin 4, MONTROSE!

anyone who's not happy should vote with their remote control on Friday!! dont pay their wages..keep your TV off RTE and go download scrooge or anything that really takes you away from it all. The Late Late toy show always reminds me of the fairground scene in Pinocchio anyway...sinister with a wide eyed top hat wearing Tubridy up on a high!

I know, but still people continue to believe that this is about a virus.

paw patrol wrote: »
    this is true but perhaps the appetite will have changed. If covid has taught us anything its that there is little leadership in Leinster House.

even the opposition played it safe with only basic challenges to the government. Shin fein have behaved disgracefully with regard to covid - leaders of the opposition mehole...

If you had told me at the last election that Mattie McGrath would be the lightening rod of the libertarian style values in Ireland I'd have laughed.
    Now I'm his biggest fan.
    These are unprecedented times - hopefully some change will come from it.

Mcgrath might seem small minded but at least he sees the big picture. The rest have a "Tony will show us the way" mindset.. The GOVT are terrified to deviate at all because if the numbers spiral, the Tony cronies in RTE will say I told you so and make them look like they've just ignored the electrician who came to wire their house... The problem is Tony will wire your house and cause a blackout in the neighborhood while he's carrying out the work. Indefinitely!!!
    One house fixed, at the price of a neighborhood!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,298 ✭✭✭facehugger99

mikekerry wrote: »

In a few years they'll be able to do table quizzes where you have to spot the real headline from a Waterford Whisperer's one.

It's concerning to think there are fully grown adults who are taking this nonsense as gospel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭mikekerry

In a few years they'll be able to do table quizzes where you have to spot the real headline from a Waterford Whisperer's one.

It's concerning to think there are fully grown adults who are taking this nonsense as gospel.

Yeah Waterford whispers popped into the head reading this.
    What is more terrifying is why he and others are not called out on this by the media.
    This stuff is on the front of main stream web sites and newspapers.
    It's unbelievable.

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Thats me

My uncle being one who came off his bike and wasn't let home because he kept pulling the neck brace off in his sleep. He then caught covid in there as did 6 others in his non covid ward.

Have he and 6 others caught covid in hospital or just had no symptoms when admitted and one of them shared infection to others?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Pffft 2 bn a month to keep the lights on.

Pocket money

That’s only a children’s hospital a month

Only about €8000 since March for every adult working in Ireland

I can’t see a need for austerity

You could build a Metro every month with that money.
    That's something which has been kicked down the road for decades because of costs and it would actually improve the country, traffic, road deaths, wealth etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Looks like Europe is getting tough also

In Germany, groups of 10 will be allowed to meet starting December 23 - but the country will be plunged into a strict lockdown starting December 1 to prepare, with firework displays banned over New Year.

Meanwhile Italians have been warned to expect a 'sober' holiday season without 'hugging, kissing or parties' but have been told that gift-giving will still be allowed.

While Belgium has yet to outline its rules for the festive period, interior minister Annelies Verlinden warned this week that police will be 'knocking on doors' to enforce the law - saying they would be on the lookout for 'noise pollution, large groups of people, and many cars in front of doors.'

In Spain, a draft proposal leaked to the press suggests that Christmas gatherings will be limited to a maximum of six people while a 1am curfew will be in place on New Year's Eve.

Meanwhile Emmanuel Macron is expected to address the French tonight to outline his plans going into the New Year, but has already warned that people cannot expect life to return to normal until 2021 at the earliest.

In Germany, groups of 10 will be allowed to meet starting December 23 - but the country will be plunged into a strict lockdown starting December 1 to prepare, with firework displays banned over New Year.

Meanwhile Italians have been warned to expect a 'sober' holiday season without 'hugging, kissing or parties' but have been told that gift-giving will still be allowed.

While Belgium has yet to outline its rules for the festive period, interior minister Annelies Verlinden warned this week that police will be 'knocking on doors' to enforce the law - saying they would be on the lookout for 'noise pollution, large groups of people, and many cars in front of doors.'

In Spain, a draft proposal leaked to the press suggests that Christmas gatherings will be limited to a maximum of six people while a 1am curfew will be in place on New Year's Eve.

Meanwhile Emmanuel Macron is expected to address the French tonight to outline his plans going into the New Year, but has already warned that people cannot expect life to return to normal until 2021 at the earliest.

Why always 6 ????? the rule of 666......:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭VonLuck

Sweden doubled their ICU capacity over the summer.

And how exactly would Ireland do the same? Creating beds is not the issue, but to my limited medical knowledge, you need anaesthesiologists to actually 'man' the ICU units. You can't just make them appear. Takes years of training.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

Unlikely. If you can recall from the recent election, the electorate flat out rejected right wing nuts, in favour of left wing populists (SF and Greens) mixed with our typical centrist (FF and FG) parties.

The Irish are called Paddy Last for a reason.
    Phased lifting of Level 5: Inter-county travel could open up a few days before Christmas

https://www.thejournal.ie/level-5-ca...77357-Nov2020/

What benevolent dictators we have.

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Rrrrrr2

VonLuck wrote: »
    And how exactly would Ireland do the same? Creating beds is not the issue, but to my limited medical knowledge, you need anaesthesiologists to actually 'man' the ICU units. You can't just make them appear. Takes years of training.

Well how did Sweden manage it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

dalyboy wrote: »
    So you only trust the “experts” that suit yours or the media’s narrative?

Most of the experts we've been hearing from all year have been wrong the whole time. They deserve to be criticized at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

It will be great seeing posts like this disappear into the sunset when the vaccines get rolled out.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭watlantic

'Fawlty Towers' Episode 13: ''Don't Pass The Gravy Boat''

...and ''stick'' (sic) grandad in the cold draughty corner under the open window.

Lucky Luke (aka The Mad Professor) appears to be on a gravy train now.
    Lucky Luke, the man who ''can shoot faster than his own shadow'', in his own foot maybe,
    and wishing you all a Sterile Christmas And A Fearful New Year.

:o:o:o
    Sorry, but I just couldn't resist it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,845 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

What in the absolute fook.... ????!!!
    "Stick grandpa by the window and have a good breeze blowing through, and this will really decrease the risk, so it is possible to have a Christmas together," Prof O'Neill said.

Ah that's grand. He can die of pneumonia instead! Cheers Luke! :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 547 ✭✭✭BeefeaterHat

Maybe if we didn't train our doctors and nurses for export and got them to stay by giving them decent equipment and working conditions rather than the usual Irish farce. All we ever seem to talk about is what we can't do

Micky 32 wrote: »
    It will be great seeing posts like this disappear into the sunset when the vaccines get rolled out.

We'll be dead last to see the back of them because of the inept shower at the HSE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

Has anyone found with 2020 that a new day can still surprise you and bring some of the most idiotic, beyond imagination news?

Stick grandpa by the window at the end of December?

This is what TV licence goes towards?

I always knew Ireland lagged 20 - 40 years behind rest of EU countries, but I am fearful with the last 8 months showing, its more like 50 - 80 years behind.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

1606238331-picsay.jpg
    It's Christmas 2020!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭VonLuck

Rrrrrr2 wrote: »
    Well how did Sweden manage it?

I was reading an article which said that "They mainly had to rely on staff who already worked in intensive care, but a small number of retired staff and staff from other parts of the hospital were able to help out. They also received help from other regions, for example healthcare staff from Blekinge and Örebro."

Bear in mind was specifically about the Mälarsjukhuset Hospital but assume that this applied to most hospitals.

Essentially they were relying on staff that was already available. We don't have that luxury.
    Maybe if we didn't train our doctors and nurses for export and got them to stay by giving them decent equipment and working conditions rather than the usual Irish farce. All we ever seem to talk about is what we can't do

Well that's all well and good, but what can be done now? Sure the HSE has been poorly run but complaining about it won't get us through the pandemic. Unfortunately the public has to take up the slack as the health service can literally do nothing to improve ICU capacity at this point in time.

There is likely to be disappointment for sports fans as next month’s All-Ireland football and hurling finals will have to take place behind close doors.

While a plan to allow greater number of fans to attend matches in large stadia are being developed by Arts and Sports Minister Catherine Martin, government sources have made clear they will not be ready until the New Year.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40088498.html

Taking over 7 full months now to develop plans to allow greater number of fans to attend Croke park, that has casual capacity of 80,000 + amongst other stadiums.

We are afterall, Irish. :rolleyes:

Also

“Pubs will not be able to use the empty pizza box or the chipper next door as a means of staying open,” said one minister.

Ahhhh the classic. Yes, ofcourse, food from the chipper doesnt protect vs covid. it has to be made in the actual pub to have any chance of fighting the spread. Absolute cretins.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

This should keep a certain cohort on here happy and drooling at the mouths. On the spot fines are now in force. Just in time for xmas the 100 euro on the spot fine for travelling.

I was reading an article which said that "They mainly had to rely on staff who already worked in intensive care, but a small number of retired staff and staff from other parts of the hospital were able to help out. They also received help from other regions, for example healthcare staff from Blekinge and Örebro."

Bear in mind was specifically about the Mälarsjukhuset Hospital but assume that this applied to most hospitals.

Essentially they were relying on staff that was already available. We don't have that luxury.

Well that's all well and good, but what can be done now? Sure the HSE has been poorly run but complaining about it won't get us through the pandemic. Unfortunately the public has to take up the slack as the health service can literally do nothing to improve ICU capacity at this point in time.

Fair enough there's nothing that can be done now but the HSE and government should be getting flack for it rather than having the press spouting nonsense about car parks and take away pints.

Micky 32 wrote: »
    This should keep a certain cohort on here happy and drooling at the mouths. On the spot fines are now in force.

A nice public flogging will really titillate the eternal lockdown crew. Maybe a weekend in the stocks too.

Great point. We should do the opposite - praise HSE?

Sure why not. Its not like there are more pandemics coming down the road. Lets just start reducing our ICU beds what the hell why not? Doesnt matter like. You are suggesting we shouldnt complain. We probably shouldnt even discuss it? Ah shure, we are Irish, shi*e everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Rrrrrr2

Going down a storm on the Continent alright. Lapping up their new “lifesaving” overlords
    https://twitter.com/robinmonotti/status/1330843825015840769?s=21

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

Wasn’t there a big recruitment drive for healthcare staff working abroad to come home, only for no positions to be made available??

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement