Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part VII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

We are tested every time a patient we have cared for tests positive. I've been tested 4 times to date.

It would seem that there are very different standards across the hospitals. That can't be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

We are tested every time a patient we have cared for tests positive. I've been tested 4 times to date.

With respect, if you work in a hospital (I’m presuming since the start of all this) and have only been tested 4 times so far.... is this not the very issue that people are complaining about re: lack of testing in health care settings?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

On the same day Level 5 restrictions begin, BLM and a few middle class white students decide it's time to cause a scene in Blanchardstown. They have begun to protest outside the local Garda station and they have now stormed through Blanchardstown shopping centre. No social distancing and families out shopping now terrified Link

Meanwhile the country prepares to enter another month of hard restrictions. The Gardai are invisible at this protest.

I suppose if there was any resistance to the new restrictions they would have the riot squad out in force.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,485 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Worst new year's eve ever

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,605 ✭✭✭Penfailed

For me the stirring the pot by the media is one of the worst parts of the pandemic.

Maybe that's how I've been getting by without getting as worked up as some people appear to be. I don't watch RTE news, I don't listen to RTE news and I don't follow RTE Twitter. I rarely read a newspaper and when I do, it's usually The Irish News which is a more northerly focused paper. I've been sheltered from that whole side of the pandemic.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Ride, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

JRant wrote: »
    if surveillance is so important, why are we not issuing rapid antigen tests to the entire population. They are not perfect but they would absolutely help keep numbers down.

How much do they cost? How many would be needed? How often would they have to be done? How accurate are they?

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Ride, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Worst new year's eve ever

New Years Eve is overrated.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,081 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

Penfailed wrote: »
    How much do they cost? How many would be needed? How often would they have to be done? How accurate are they?

About a tenner each and it doesn't matter if they are not 100% accurate as any case caught is one that wouldn't have been.

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

About a tenner each and it doesn't matter if they are not 100% accurate as any case caught is one that wouldn't have been.

Accuracy surely matters if the percent of false negatives is quite high, that's worse than not knowing if you're a carrier or not. False confidence

• Advertisement

Right, a tenner each. How often would they need to be taken? If only once, that's €50 million euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Accuracy surely matters if the percent of false negatives is quite high, that's worse than not knowing if you're a carrier or not. False confidence

If you catch 80% of cases and 20% of cases are not caught is it better or worse?

The cases not caught will think its fine to visit granny and granddad or go to big parties becoming a superspreader.

It's only worth doing antigen testing imo if people get tested and retested regularly. HCW every data perhaps.

Penfailed wrote: »
    New Years Eve is overrated.

Covid is a little overrated :D:D

I knw what ye mean but very unusal NYE just like every other 'holiday' this year

Accuracy is greatly improved if the swab is taken by a health care professional

I'd be using them every day in health and care settings and ensuring the staff take the same precautions regardless of the result.
    They Should be used to screen staff in hospitals and care homes for infection they don't know about, after all the majority of death are due to outbreaks in these settings.

I knw what ye mean but very unusal NYE just like every other 'holiday' this year

True dat!

• Registered Users Posts: 36,372 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-55479018

The consequences of letting the situation run rampant and out of control are unpalatable. More cases equals more cases of severe illness and ultimately more death. The continued bankruptcy of ideas within this thread remains completely stunning to me.

Remember, the current situation in London articulated in the above piece is what we are working to avoid. And nobody can reasonably argue that it would be a palatable outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭growleaves

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-55479018

The consequences of letting the situation run rampant and out of control are unpalatable. More cases equals more cases of severe illness and ultimately more death. The continued bankruptcy of ideas within this thread remains completely stunning to me.

Remember, the current situation in London articulated in the above piece is what we are working to avoid. And nobody can reasonably argue that it would be a palatable outcome.

More scapegoating. Shameful.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,372 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

growleaves wrote: »
    More scapegoating. Shameful.

It is simply reality. If you willingly and deliberately take actions that contribute to the spread of the virus you contribute to a public health context that is responsible for severe illness and death that could be otherwise avoided. That is the fact of the matter. It is not shameful or offensive or scaremongering or scapegoating. It is simply stating the reality of the matter in plain language.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭growleaves

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    It is simply reality. If you willingly and deliberately take actions that contribute to the spread of the virus you contribute to a public health context that is responsible for severe illness and death that could be otherwise avoided. That is the fact of the matter. It is not shameful or offensive or scaremongering or scapegoating. It is simply stating the reality of the matter in plain language.

No it isn't simple reality it's a dodge ball theory of causality with no proof and on the back of that highly tendentious and emotive accusations.

YOU may have spread germs without realising it, are you the equivalent of a murderer.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Lundstram wrote: »
    Jaysus, they're really losing the plot on the main Covid19 thread, makes for amusing reading. 8pm curfews, close schools, 5km limit and wait for it - ban alcohol.

You'd laugh at them if they weren't being serious.

Are you still laughing today?
    I'll check in again tomorrow when we are completely overrun too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Aside from simply looking around you in the last 9 months, the HSE's own numbers have proven that the pandemic is nowhere near as dangerous as was feared initially. Infectious maybe - but then if many of those infected don't even realise they have it, is it a big deal to them?

Yes, they may give it to someone who it is a big deal to - you know like a loved one?

It is what is so dangerous about a new highly infectious disease.

10 months in and that still has to be explained, absolutely amazing.

Anyway, contact tracing and testing seems to have collapsed, so we will be flying someway blind now.

https://twitter.com/rtenews/status/1344683937487065090

Mind yourselves.

Happy New Year.

When will we see the results of the vaccine?

So sick of Dr Tonys negatively

God knows. They don't even know how many people have been vaccinated.

https://twitter.com/FergalBowers/status/1344687393018945537

The median age for these cases is approximately 35. The vast majority of people this age will not require hospitalisation and can isolate at home.

14 deaths or thereabouts a day is tragic for families, but it does not warrant level 5 restrictions on an ongoing basis.
    What hospital beds and ICU spaces are you going to use for the 35 year old who has a car crash though?

You seem to be missing the idea that even if it's a small percentage it's taking up all the resources within the hospital.

Go read the latest from the UK, they are almost like Northern Italy now, choosing who to try and save.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Lundstram

So they're telling us there's around 4,000 cases yet to be reported in the daily figures. Mostly young people who won't even know they had it. Scary..

They were asked by a journalist how many have been vaccinated so far, their response was "we don't know".

They've problem gathering numbers of cases to frighten the whole country.

What a complete shambles.

The positive outcome will take care of itself as the vaccine for out, it's his job to prevent Ireland turning into the UK, giving positive spin sunny achieve that.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,118 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

They were asked by a journalist how many have been vaccinated so far, their response was "we don't know".

What's the value of that information today? How will it be used to inform or
    change future plans? Do you want the vaccinators to be spending their time filling in forms to answer your question, or to be doing as many vaccinations as they possibly can?

So they're telling us there's around 4,000 cases are yet to be reported in the daily figures. Mostly young people who won't even know they had it. Scary..

They've problem gathering numbers of cases to frightnen the whole country.

What a complete shambles.
    What difference would knowing make exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,118 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Ah sure maybe we should get him to do an oul song or tell a few jokes to cheer you up?

It's not 'his' negativity. The negativity comes from the slightly scary numbers showing the pandemic taking hold.

Do you want to pretend that everything is OK?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Ah sure maybe we should get him to do an oul song or tell a few jokes to cheer you up?
    Nah don’t worry about it , i’d hate to see your misery bubble bursted :rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement