Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part VII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,322 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Ah sure maybe we should get him to do an oul song or tell a few jokes to cheer you up?

It's not 'his' negativity. The negativity comes from the slightly scary numbers showing the pandemic taking hold.

Do you want to pretend that everything is OK?

Feel free to hide under your bed until its' all over.

We'll tell you when it’s safe to come back out.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭FrStone

What's the value of that information today? How will it be used to inform or
    change future plans? Do you want the vaccinators to be spending their time filling in forms to answer your question, or to be doing as many vaccinations as they possibly can?

Ah here!

Surely the one thing the HSE has plenty of is administrators.

The HSE has to keep a record of everyone out vaccinates anyone, even the most dated ICT system is able to count!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,081 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

Sounds like we are paying now for having people locked up so tight for 9 months.
    Should have allowed people a bit more freedom when cases were low in the summer.
    It also brings into question the value of the 6 week lockdown in October when cases were more or less under control.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

FrStone wrote: »
    I think the UKs rapid vaccination strategy is best.

Covid vaccine: UK doctors criticise rescheduling of second doses
    Recipients of the Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine had previously been told there would be a three-week gap between doses, with many already booked in for their second jab.

But the government announced a change to its Covid vaccination strategy on Wednesday, saying second doses of the newly approved Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccine and the previously approved Pfizer/BioNTech jab would now be given up to 12 weeks after the first dose.

The company that made the vaccine don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Penfailed wrote: »
    How much do they cost? How many would be needed? How often would they have to be done? How accurate are they?

If we were buying millions I'd imagine a few euro each. Short change compared to what we are currently spending and would be money well spent.
    Test once a week, for the entire population until the numbers are completely under control.
    Accuracy can be tricky as most will pick up once you have enough viral load. They are not as accurate as PCR but then again PCR was never meant for this type of use either.

They could also be targeted at all HCW to stop these outbreaks in hospitals and nursing homes.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,118 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Sounds like we are paying now for having people locked up so tight for 9 months.
    Should have allowed people a bit more freedom when cases were low in the summer.
    Not sure if you've worked out the connection yet, but if we had allowed people a bit more freedom, the case numbers wouldn't have been low.
    FrStone wrote: »
    Ah here!

Surely the one thing the HSE has plenty of is administrators.

The HSE has to keep a record of everyone out vaccinates anyone, even the most dated ICT system is able to count!

Yes, it has plenty of administrators, all of whom have day jobs in other areas, so if you want to reassign them to this role, something else is going to have to give.

And yes, they have to keep records, but keeping records and getting a solid, validated number for everything that happened across the country in one day is a very different matter. I got the flu vaccine recently and all the records from the GP were handwritten, so totalling that up on a national level is not a trivial task.

But let's not lose sight of what's going on here. People aren't looking for daily totals just for the crack. They're just looking for another stick to beat NPHET with, so whatever the number comes out, we'll be told it should be double or quadruple or whatever.

If I was in Dr Tony's shoes, I'd be making sure that all the information is building up, but I wouldn't be in any mad rush to get it out to the barstool experts on boards so they can tell him what he did wrong.

Feel free to hide under your bed until its' all over.

We'll tell you when it’s safe to come back out.

I wish I could hide, but I was out today doing shopping for one neighbour who's husband got his positive test result earlier today, and also for one elderly relative.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,634 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

GreeBo wrote: »
    What difference would knowing make exactly?

It makes as much sense as telling us the positive test numbers every night.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,897 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

What's the value of that information today? How will it be used to inform or
    change future plans? Do you want the vaccinators to be spending their time filling in forms to answer your question, or to be doing as many vaccinations as they possibly can?

Yes, I would like them to fill out forms (online ones) so they then know who has been vaccinated.

If that's beyond them, it's something to actually get scared about.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭patnor1011

Ah sure maybe we should get him to do an oul song or tell a few jokes to cheer you up?

It's not 'his' negativity. The negativity comes from the slightly scary numbers showing the pandemic taking hold.

Do you want to pretend that everything is OK?

I would rather pretend that everything is OK than keep pretending that deadly virus is ravaging country stalking people in restaurants or between clothing racks.
    What pandemic? Where is the flu?

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Yes, I would like them to fill out forms (online ones) so they then know who has been vaccinated.

Great, so you're happy to hold off on vaccinations for a few more weeks or months while they build the system for recording this sensitive data, and order the devices that the vaccinators are going to use for filling in their little forms?

A huge amount of the vaccination system is paper based at present. If you want to change it, you're not going to do that overnight.

• Advertisement

patnor1011 wrote: »
    I would rather pretend that everything is OK than keep pretending that deadly virus is ravaging country stalking people in restaurants or between clothing racks.
    What pandemic? Where is the flu?

Are you suggesting that the numbers he's giving out are incorrect? Or just that you're better at interpreting these numbers than the country's leading public health expert?

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭risteard7

22 empty beds in our hospital this evening. It's never been quieter on NYE. 4 in the Covid ward.

I heard today one of the girls who trained in England, her friend works in Scotland now and got the jab just before Xmas. Her boyfriend apparently tested positive so she had to go for a swab and it came back positive! I know it's 2 jabs but that seems sketchy enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭BryanMartin21

Lundstram wrote: »
    So they're telling us there's around 4,000 cases yet to be reported in the daily figures. Mostly young people who won't even know they had it. Scary..

They were asked by a journalist how many have been vaccinated so far, their response was "we don't know".

They've problem gathering numbers of cases to frighten the whole country.

What a complete shambles.

The more cases, the less serious covid looks in the official data. I haven't read much of the media or online the last few days and therefore do not notice the hysteria in my daily life.

HPSC is the most important source for people, not news articles as news articles have a slant and are not disclosing whether they were paid for with "awareness" campaign money. The HPSC data is consistent and enables one to draw the same conclusion as always that this is not a deadly virus for all but the most elderly and extremely vulnerable.

Mod: Two week forum ban for second breach of your threadban

Great, so you're happy to hold off on vaccinations for a few more weeks or months while they build the system for recording this sensitive data, and order the devices that the vaccinators are going to use for filling in their little forms?

A huge amount of the vaccination system is paper based at present. If you want to change it, you're not going to do that overnight.

Why do you make up things?

I never said that.

Please edit your post at once.

They've had months to get a system ready, and IT people could build one in next to no time.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Stormyteacup

Zebra3 wrote: »

Could just count what’s left in the box?

But seriously - hcw made appointments online to get vaccination and there’s no way they do not have the exact number of others that didn’t make online appointment.

Someone asked what difference does it make whether we have a figure for total vaccinated so far - well it’s a signal to the public that their leaders are sharing and communicating results of a streamlined process that they are on top of, which will give confidence to a shaky population.

The only reason for not giving info is to shield themselves from criticism (yet again), as the numbers are small to start off with. Bad decision if it continues.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭JRant

So Level 5 may not be enough for Tony.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/1231/1187136-nphet-letter-covid/

This lad is only short of asking for people to be welded into their own homes.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

JRant wrote: »

It won’t happen.

Could just count what’s left in the box?

But seriously - hcw made appointments online to get vaccination and there’s no way they do not have the exact number of others that didn’t make online appointment.

Someone asked what difference does it make whether we have a figure for total vaccinated so far - well it’s a signal to the public that their leaders are sharing and communicating results of a streamlined process that they are on top of, which will give confidence to a shaky population.

The only reason for not giving info is to shield themselves from criticism (yet again), as the numbers are small to start off with. Bad decision if it continues.

We don't do accountability in this country very well.

Easier to just blame the plebs.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Golfman64

JRant wrote: »

We need to keep our collective heads now and allow the original and now further increased restrictions a chance to work. 2-3 weeks and we should start seeing a reasonable reduction in numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭FrStone

They have had since mid March to do this!

The level of incompetency by management and administrators in the bloated HSE has been incredible. After merging all the health boards together we didn't see a single involuntary redundancy. The HSE is overstaffed by administrators and middle management, yet they still don't seem to be able to count!

Most countries with a modern Healthcare system are well able to count the number they vaccinate.

I feel for the poor care staff working in that system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

GreeBo wrote: »
    What difference would knowing make exactly?

A bit of positivity, light at the end of the tunnel, we have vaccinated x amount of people to date, we are slowly getting through this, what’s wrong with that?

It’s almost like listening to old 1950’s catholic priests when seeing some posters on here chastising all and sundry to be accountable for what they do but don’t dare question those in authority.

Maybe it’s a hang up of some description, it’s amazing how many people live for nothing other than wall to wall misery, like optimism and hope makes them queasy.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Windmill100000

With respect, if you work in a hospital (I’m presuming since the start of all this) and have only been tested 4 times so far.... is this not the very issue that people are complaining about re: lack of testing in health care settings?

I have been tested every time a patient I cared for tested positive. I am not on a covid ward, which are isolated wards, and those staff are tested much more frequently, at least in the hospital I am in. I can't speak for any other hospital.

I feel I am tested appropriately and to date have not had symptoms of covid or tested positively for it.

risteard7 wrote: »
    22 empty beds in our hospital this evening. It's never been quieter on NYE. 4 in the Covid ward.

I heard today one of the girls who trained in England, her friend works in Scotland now and got the jab just before Xmas. Her boyfriend apparently tested positive so she had to go for a swab and it came back positive! I know it's 2 jabs but that seems sketchy enough

It seems sketchy if you don’t have a clue how it works

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

I have been tested every time a patient I cared for tested positive. I am not on a covid ward, which are isolated wards, and those staff are tested much more frequently, at least in the hospital I am in. I can't speak for any other hospital.

I feel I am tested appropriately and to date have not had symptoms of covid or tested positively for it.

I won’t argue with any of that, I don’t work in a hospital, or in a healthcare environment so don’t know! My own opinion would be HC workers should be tested weekly at a minimum regardless of contacts with covid patients or not! I didn't actually realise staff weren't tested until they were in contact with a covid patient.... that’s an issue to me! But again, I’m no expert on it

It seems sketchy if you don’t have a clue how it works

Enlighten me so?

I won’t argue with any of that, I don’t work in a hospital, or in a healthcare environment so don’t know! My own opinion would be HC workers should be tested weekly at a minimum regardless of contacts with covid patients or not! I didn't actually realise staff weren't tested until they were in contact with a covid patient.... that’s an issue to me! But again, I’m no expert on it
    I have never been tested or asked to go for a test & I was in contact with positive patients back from March - May

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

risteard7 wrote: »
    Enlighten me so?
    If you really work in healthcare you should know how the vaccine works. I’d stop digging if I were you.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Windmill100000

Well, you are entitled to your opinion. Of course I could always get a test if I felt I needed one.

Logistically, I don't know if testing all healthcare workers on a weekly basis would be possible. I imagine it is well beyond the scope of HSE testing facilities in conjunction with the general public. There must be at least 1000 staff or more where I work from doctors, nurses, carers, porters, catering and housekeeping staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,401 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

emeldc wrote: »
    If you really work in healthcare you should know how the vaccine works. I’d stop digging if I were you.

If I was say a radiographer or a physio; would you expect me to be 100% on how different vaccines work?

Or an admin?

Or a porter?

Or an orderly?

Etc etc

Btw I've no idea what the poster you're quoting does but you can be in a hospital without being a doctor or a nurse... You can certainly go many years without ever having to think about how every vaccine works

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

lawred2 wrote: »
    If I was say a radiographer or a physio; would you expect me to be 100% on how different vaccines work?

Or an admin?

Or a porter?

Or an orderly?

Etc etc

Btw I've no idea what the poster you're quoting does but you can be in a hospital without being a doctor or a nurse... You can certainly go many years without ever having to think about how every vaccine works

Yes I would. It’s called showing an interest in your own industry.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement