Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part VII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

risteard7 wrote: »
    I have never been tested or asked to go for a test & I was in contact with positive patients back from March - May

Obviously this is a part of the reason why the UK is in such a bad state.
    Enlighten me so?

The jab takes quiet some time to work. The second jab is necessary for a higher rate of efficacy too.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,401 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

emeldc wrote: »
    Yes I would. It’s called showing an interest in your own industry.

Pffft

I'd imagine that many have enough to be doing..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

I have been tested every time a patient I cared for tested positive. I am not on a covid ward, which are isolated wards, and those staff are tested much more frequently, at least in the hospital I am in. I can't speak for any other hospital.

I feel I am tested appropriately and to date have not had symptoms of covid or tested positively for it.

Are you in a public or private hospital as I’ve direct evidence that nursing staff in public hospitals are not being tested routinely at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭risteard7

If you really work in healthcare you should know how the vaccine works. I’d stop digging if I were you.

I work in a Hospital on a general ward & I'm not digging for anything. I'm only saying the Hospital is quiet that's all. Covid is barely mentioned in handover or at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

I work in a Hospital on a general ward & I'm not digging for anything. I'm only saying the Hospital is quiet that's all. Covid is barely mentioned in handover or at all.
    I find that astonishing. God help you if your quiet general ward gets hit with a few Covid patients.

• Advertisement

I find that astonishing. God help you if your quiet general ward gets hit with a few Covid patients.

What sort of post is that! You'd swear you were wishing for that to be the case.

Are you in a public or private hospital as I’ve direct evidence that nursing staff in public hospitals are not being tested routinely at all.

Yes correct we are never tested unless we have symptoms. I had two weeks off with pay back in April because we were all close contacts & the ward closed for a deep clean. There's not a hope that would happen again.

lawred2 wrote: »
    What sort of post is that! You'd swear you were wishing for that to be the case.

What do you find astonishing? People are afraid to go to hospital now, everyone is swabbed in ED before they are admitted so we would never get a positive case on our ward. They go straight to the Covid ward which generally has more staff then patients.

This time last year we had a trolley Crisis nationwide. We dont this year. That's why it's quiet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

I have been tested every time a patient I cared for tested positive. I am not on a covid ward, which are isolated wards, and those staff are tested much more frequently, at least in the hospital I am in. I can't speak for any other hospital.

I feel I am tested appropriately and to date have not had symptoms of covid or tested positively for it.

As I said earlier, not all hospitals are doing the same thing. My wife works with Covid positive patients and patients who have subsequently shown to be positive and the staff are simply told that as they wear PPE they are not considered to be close contacts. She has never been tested for Covid. I suspect it's a deliberate policy to ensure that staff are not unavailable through isolating. To be honest, neither she nor any of her colleagues have had to take any sick leave throughout this, so the PPE may well be providing them with sufficient protection that the lack of testing isn't an issue.

What do you find astonishing? People are afraid to go to hospital now, everyone is swabbed in ED before they are admitted so we would never get a positive case on our ward. They go straight to the Covid ward which generally has more staff then patients.

This time last year we had a trolley Crisis nationwide. We dont this year. That's why it's quiet

You quote the wrong post horse?

• Advertisement

Enlighten me so?

Immunity is not instantaneous and develops over two weeks. The second dose enhances the response. Also, it doesn’t stop the virus entering your system, so someone exposed to the virus may well test positive while never exhibiting symptoms or shedding enough virus to infect others

lawred2 wrote: »
    Pffft

I'd imagine that many have enough to be doing..

It doesn’t take much knowledge to know the very basics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

Surely at this point, with the vaccinations being rolled out to those who are vulnerable, they should declare that all those who are vulnerable and those who care for them should lockdown tight until they are vaccinated? It likely wouldn't take much longer anyway than this new lockdown (for all) is likely to last. It looks like the rest of the population will be waiting so long for a vaccination that they might as well just get on with life knowing that the vulnerable are protected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Lundstram

Isn't it amazing all this money that has been pumped into the health service, PUP, wage subsidy scheme, business restart grants etc since March, billions upon billions, a blank chequebook.

Yet we trundled along year after with a trolley crisis particulalry in the winter. Somehow Covid19 comes along and money is no object.

Amazes me.

Lundstram wrote: »
    Isn't it amazing all this money that has been pumped into the health service, PUP, wage subsidy scheme, business restart grants etc since March, billions upon billions, a blank chequebook.

Yet we trundled along year after with a trolley crisis particulalry in the winter. Somehow Covid19 comes along and money is no object.

Amazes me.

And we'll go right back to a two tier system as soon as we can...

Vaccines left sitting in freezers
    Constant IT issues
    Contact tracing falling apart
    Outbreaks in hospitals and homes driving deaths
    Completely inaccurate modelling

40 people in NPHET who appear to do nothing except tell the government to close the country.

Yet we blame pubs that were closed anyways and people for going for walks in busy areas...

Our leaders and experts have failed us badly. Not to mention the clear advantages we had such as being an Island and having a young population.

We have to lockdown longer and harder than all other countries because we are highly incompetent.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Will we not have a public forum discussing whether we should use these vaccines ? Its Ireland , endless waffle and consensus seeking. The one time we can directly conparecourselves to other countries, I expect they will be rolling out the vaccine here for years!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Lundstram wrote: »

Amazes me.

There is no money for anything, they cant solve any problems here, until a bank collapse or covid 19 hits and endless Money just appears out of thin air. Ffg talking about sf magic money trees is comedy and this was evident to me years ago...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

Happy 2021 all. Only in my worst nightmares did I expect to be posting in these threads come this time of year back in March. Here’s hoping this time next year, we’re all out enjoying life & living once again :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,692 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Dr. Tony still saying we are not doing eneogh - Why not get on the job himself and orginise the vaccination program with the same urgency he tells the Government to lockdown and scold the public for not doing eneogh -
    Never any good news , just doom doom and yet the rolllout of the vaccinations seams to lack the urgency that would help protect the vulnerable and evertually the public. The HSE should be mass vaccinating the frontline workers and the vulnerable in the coming days and weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,483 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

thebaz wrote: »
    Dr. Tony still saying we are not doing eneogh - Why not get on the job himself and orginise the vaccination program with the same urgency he tells the Government to lockdown and scold the public for not doing eneogh -
    Never any good news , just doom doom and yet the rolllout of the vaccinations seams to lack the urgency that would help protect the vulnerable and evertually the public. The HSE should be mass vaccinating the frontline workers and the vulnerable in the coming days and weeks.

In his profession the man is dangerous and the amount of power & influence he has is too much.

He should of permanently stepped away from the role when his wife was sick. Youre head is never 100% if your close to someone with a very serious disease no matter how many you times you say 'you're grand' Ever since he came back its all lockdowns and public blaming. We all heard the drama that went on when the government rejected his plans and Leo ringing him up saying 'sorry and that were on the same team' bollocks

• Registered Users Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Immunity is not instantaneous and develops over two weeks. The second dose enhances the response. Also, it doesn’t stop the virus entering your system, so someone exposed to the virus may well test positive while never exhibiting symptoms or shedding enough virus to infect others

Sounds like they'll be just like all those asymptomatic cases we currently have.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

JRant wrote: »
    Sounds like they'll be just like all those asymptomatic cases we currently have.

Have you got numbers on those asymptomatic cases? And the difference is there won’t be hundreds of people a week being admitted to hospital

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

thebaz wrote: »

They've started the healtcare workers and nursing homes start Monday

• Registered Users Posts: 38,483 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Lidl, Aldi and Tesco among other companies were advertising 'Party food and Party games/equipment' the last few days and i'm surprised it hasn't been discussed in an angry manner as these are far from essential items and are encouraging parties

How naive are the government suggesting and thinking there will be no house parties and everyone is sat at home half in fear

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

Vaccines left sitting in freezers
    Constant IT issues
    Contact tracing falling apart
    Outbreaks in hospitals and homes driving deaths
    Completely inaccurate modelling

40 people in NPHET who appear to do nothing except tell the government to close the country.

Yet we blame pubs that were closed anyways and people for going for walks in busy areas...

Our leaders and experts have failed us badly. Not to mention the clear advantages we had such as being an Island and having a young population.

We have to lockdown longer and harder than all other countries because we are highly incompetent.

how has a poor health service caused the virus to spread? or do you just expect any health service to be able to deal with a novel virus with uncontrolled spread?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Lidl, Aldi and Tesco among other companies were advertising 'Party food and Party games/equipment' the last few days and i'm surprised it hasn't been discussed in an angry manner as these are far from essential items and are encouraging parties

How naive are the government suggesting and thinking there will be no house parties and everyone is sat at home half in fear

Families and households can have parties amongst themselves without mixing. Why take away all fun and joy away from people?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

PTH2009 wrote: »
    In his profession the man is dangerous and the amount of power & influence he has is too much.

He should of permanently stepped away from the role when his wife was sick. Youre head is never 100% if your close to someone with a very serious disease no matter how many you times you say 'you're grand' Ever since he came back its all lockdowns and public blaming. We all heard the drama that went on when the government rejected his plans and Leo ringing him up saying 'sorry and that were on the same team' bollocks

I’m happy to be corrected, but I was told today that his wife has recently passed! While I don’t wish to pry, is this true?? And if so might it explain his “crusade” in the past couple of weeks, and again today saying L5 isn’t enough?? If she has then I genuinely feel for him and give my best wishes, but his head surely can’t be in the right place!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

froog wrote: »
    how has a poor health service caused the virus to spread? or do you just expect any health service to be able to deal with a novel virus with uncontrolled spread?

If they are shutting down the economy for the 3rd time this year the very least I would be expecting is that they have the areas under their own remit and management under control.
    The fact that 66 of the 101 deaths in December occurred in nursing homes and other care facilities is absolutely unforgivable.

They are wagging the finger and locking us down while neglecting to acknowledge or do anything to rectify the fact that they have completely and repeatedly dropped the ball with hospital outbreaks, nursing homes, and direct provision centres.

I expect accountability and I expect better than the current clusters and deaths coming out of these facilities. No country is perfect & zero cases/deaths is obviously unattainable but the fact that over two thirds of coronavirus deaths this month occurred in these settings is just unacceptable and not good enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

SusieBlue wrote: »
    If they are shutting down the economy for the 3rd time this year the very least I would be expecting is that they have the areas under their own remit and management under control.
    The fact that 66 of the 101 deaths in December occurred in nursing homes and other care facilities is absolutely unforgivable.

They are wagging the finger and locking us down while neglecting to acknowledge or do anything to rectify the fact that they have completely and repeatedly dropped the ball with hospital outbreaks, nursing homes, and direct provision centres.

I expect accountability and I expect better than the current clusters and deaths coming out of these facilities. No country is perfect & zero cases/deaths is obviously unattainable but the fact that over two thirds of coronavirus deaths this month occurred in these settings is just unacceptable and not good enough.

It’s not that the deaths occurred in them, but that they caught the virus in them in the first place! Which is worse!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement